Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

450 mph tip speed!

But it takes 8 seconds to get there so even if they did let it compete it would probably not do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Borsche69 posted:

was it really a melty? every fight I've ever seen it in just has it spinning dead in place; maybe slightly drifting in a direction. every hit it seemed to get was because someone drove into it

Let's be honest, you've described every melty brain robot ever. I'd love to see a melty drive a simple obstacle course to prove me wrong though!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Borsche69 posted:

was it really a melty? every fight I've ever seen it in just has it spinning dead in place; maybe slightly drifting in a direction. every hit it seemed to get was because someone drove into it
In seasons 8 and 9, Nuts was just a flailbot. The meltybrain was put in for season 10 (they meant to have it for season 9, but it wasn't ready in time). It's not moving fast when spinning at full speed, but it's very clearly controlled movement while spinning, and from what I can find, Nuts 2 was the very first heavyweight meltybrain combat robot. I dug a little more into it and the tech existed and was named before Nuts 2, but Team Nuts built custom speed controller and meltybrain logic boards, and wrote the software for it themselves, which as far as I can tell was the first time it really worked for a heavyweight. Backed up by that it really seems like that, until ZAP debuts, Nuts 2 is to date the only known heavyweight meltybrain.

Found some videos from Team Nuts demonstrating their test rig and a test drive where you can clearly see it's moving a specific direction while spinning. They were posted in this topic where two of the Team Nuts members, including Rory, specified some stuff.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 12, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KennyMan666 posted:

Backed up by that it really seems like that, until ZAP debuts, Nuts 2 is to date the only known heavyweight meltybrain.

Also, ZAP only seems to have an application video right now. I imagine bringing something new is highly valued by the application committee, but it's possible they don't get in for other reasons.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I did the math and unless I hosed up a bot that is three feet wide spinning at 1000 RPM would have a tip speed of 107mph, so not that bad. Of course that doesn't leave much room for rotating weapons like the ZAP prototype shows.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I know they never made it to the televised stuff, but I still can't over how Hellachopper just straight up used Nazi imagery

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

There used to be a 250 lb melty brain full body spinner called Cyclonebot. It was ok, but it was also 15 years ago so I'm sure the technology has gotten better since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U09OITu5wHc

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 13, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

beepsandboops posted:

I know they never made it to the televised stuff, but I still can't over how Hellachopper just straight up used Nazi imagery

Holy poo poo, they slapped the fuckin' SS Totenkopf on everything. :catstare:

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?
Sorry I'm so late on this, I've been moving and just got to watch the finale.

What a match. That controversy was definitely not as big of a deal as Reddit made it seem.

I was rooting for Hydra, and while I think Hydra was more entertaining, I agree when it comes down to scoring the right call was made.

The Witch Doctor unstick was super fast, but I don't know it was going to change much. Minotaur was clearly going to lose at that point already. I do think Minotaur had control and think not counting it out was the right call. I was disappointed in Witch Doctor just running away but hearing what they were being told I now get it.

I don't think the reffing was that messed up, things happen but in the end I don't think it had a huge effect.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12K6qBzCbkdF1-wGOQmVQ3MxARZjrrTCnGfsCm17rx9c/edit

Noone predicted the winner this year! But we do have a three way tie for points between Zedd, SLICK GOKU BABY and Bushido Brown, congrats!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

who the gently caress in the league thought that was even sightly okay

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

hexwren posted:

Probably a fellow spinner

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Esoter1c posted:

Sorry I'm so late on this, I've been moving and just got to watch the finale.

What a match. That controversy was definitely not as big of a deal as Reddit made it seem.

I was rooting for Hydra, and while I think Hydra was more entertaining, I agree when it comes down to scoring the right call was made.

The Witch Doctor unstick was super fast, but I don't know it was going to change much. Minotaur was clearly going to lose at that point already. I do think Minotaur had control and think not counting it out was the right call. I was disappointed in Witch Doctor just running away but hearing what they were being told I now get it.

I don't think the reffing was that messed up, things happen but in the end I don't think it had a huge effect.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12K6qBzCbkdF1-wGOQmVQ3MxARZjrrTCnGfsCm17rx9c/edit

Noone predicted the winner this year! But we do have a three way tie for points between Zedd, SLICK GOKU BABY and Bushido Brown, congrats!

Thanks for doing the spreadsheet. I'm surprised I did so well because most of my picks were more who I wanted to win vs who I thought would actually win!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

hexwren posted:

You'd think too dangerous to be tested in the testing box would raise red flags, but someone from battlebots really wanted them to succeed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

beepsandboops posted:

Heilachopper

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Probably a fellow spinner

halokiller posted:

You'd think too dangerous to be tested in the testing box would raise red flags, but someone from battlebots really wanted them to succeed.

I meant being fash as poo poo but I don't disagree with these responses

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I was (too) subtly alluding to Captain Confederator :v:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I was really surprised by the "must have an active weapon" rule when I came back to modern battlebots and discovered it was a thing

brickbots are iconic. Who hated Tornado/Rammstein/etc badly enough to make a rule outlawing them?

get rid of it imo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bots are durable enough now that wedgebot vs wedgebot is just gonna be a robo sumo match, and not even an interesting one

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Wedges and bricks were always the most boring part of battlebots. I'm not going to begrudge them the requirement that a robot be capable of doing active damage. Although I wish they would adjust it enough to allow for meltybrain thwackbots.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still say we allow projectile weapons and just have them duke it out in a desert far from everyone else

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I still say we allow projectile weapons and just have them duke it out in a desert far from everyone else

Projectile weapons are allowed. They just aren't very effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3L_UxLsPt0

I think there are rules that prevent making an effective one because you'd damage the box if you just strapped an AK-47 to a roomba.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

PostNouveau posted:

Projectile weapons are allowed. They just aren't very effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3L_UxLsPt0

I think there are rules that prevent making an effective one because you'd damage the box if you just strapped an AK-47 to a roomba.

Guns are surprisingly ineffective against battlebot armor. I can't find the video now, but some folks on Youtube shot battlebot armor plates with a variety of guns and they barely dented it. You'd need a .50 BMG or more to do real damage.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
That's probably why Double Jeopardy's weapon had such a large projectile, making it more of a ranged hammer bot.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Double jeopardy can now do three shots, and I thiiiiink they're going to be on Bounty Hunters

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ante posted:

Double jeopardy can now do three shots, and I thiiiiink they're going to be on Bounty Hunters

quote:

Double

quote:

three

:confused:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
No air date on Bounty Hunters yet. Clever Discovery, thinking I'll forget to cancel Discovery+ for 3 months.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

beepsandboops posted:

I did Nazi that coming.

Tunicate posted:

Heilachopper

:respek:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I talked to the BB site admin and they said they're taking the page down.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PupsOfWar posted:

I was really surprised by the "must have an active weapon" rule when I came back to modern battlebots and discovered it was a thing

brickbots are iconic. Who hated Tornado/Rammstein/etc badly enough to make a rule outlawing them?

get rid of it imo

rammstein technically had a weapon at least. and its tough because no one really hates any individual brick (except maybe tornado after its bullshit against razer), but when you get two bricks fighting eachother it can get pretty boring

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Whiplash is the only brick bot I like, and I'm pretty sure if he had an actual weapon that driver would dominate

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

rammstein technically had a weapon at least. and its tough because no one really hates any individual brick (except maybe tornado after its bullshit against razer), but when you get two bricks fighting eachother it can get pretty boring

What I keep coming back to is that Bloodsport-Claw Viper was one of the better fight night undercard matches of the season, and it only got good after Bloodsport chopped off the dumb token grappler arms and turned Claw Viper into the fast ramming wedge it was born to be

In OG battlebots (and, frankly, all the other robot shows of the time), people hadn't quite figured out weapons yet. So it made sense that a lot of teams just ignored weapons to cram in more drive motors and armor.

Modern battlebots has a pretty entrenched and well-developed weapon meta, so imo very few teams would build brickbots and the dreaded brick-vs-brick fight would rarely if ever occur

All that said, if a team wants to build a Duck, let them do it and don't force them to add a dorky ineffectual little plow just for pretend.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It's a weight tax, if anything, to force an active weapon plus giving a little more chance for action.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The difference now between the old days is that acceptance to the show is curated. Battlebots picks their favorite 60-70 bots and many get rejected. In the olds days anyone could show up with a brick. I feel like they could allow a couple bricks in without ruining the whole thing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For what it's worth though, even the smaller leagues like NHRL require some form of active weapon. It's honestly what most of a community wants. Not too many people want to see 2 wedge push each other for 3 minutes!

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
NHRL has gone the opposite direction; you don't even need a drive system if your weapon vibrates enough.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Some of the NHRL designs are great, I'd love to see some of the wackier concepts come over to BattleBots.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A lot of the really interesting designs start in the lower weight classes just because the cost and scale is easier and Battlebots should add at least one of them if just as an exhibition for a season

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

A lot of the really interesting designs start in the lower weight classes just because the cost and scale is easier and Battlebots should add at least one of them if just as an exhibition for a season

Sounds like a cool spinoff series to me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xelkelvos posted:

I miss the old weight classes they used to use, it mixed things up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'd love to bring back the lightweight class, you would see some insane poo poo in that one