Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Poor cryptobros, forced to try and get back their toys through a centralised government-backed law-enforcement body. The INDIGNITY! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

FishMcCool posted:

Poor cryptobros, forced to try and get back their toys through a centralised government-backed law-enforcement body. The INDIGNITY! :negative:

Actually, there's a follow up that shows some of the Cryptobros started putting pleas to return the money into the blockchain and contracts to the wallet that took it. :shrug: Which is equally hilarious.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

kirbysuperstar posted:

drat this dude with the Elon Musk quote picture on his wall seems cool as gently caress

Yeah for some reason all these people doing coverage of NFT things have some... Questionable tastes and choices in other matters.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FishMcCool posted:

They're not toys, mom! They're capital investments! I need those to run my minimum-wage pinoy goldfarmer sweatshops!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kirbysuperstar posted:

drat this dude with the Elon Musk quote picture on his wall seems cool as gently caress
Look at it as "Even a dude with an Elon Musk quote picture on his wall was able to do this".

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is going to keep happening more and more because no one with any experience in the real financial sector is going to be developing crypto apps and no one developing crypto apps is going to understand the breadth and depth of security required for a complex financial system to operate, and the deregulated nature of crypto means the laws are tenebrous at best for holding crypto-marketplace-providers accountable for protecting their users' assets and lol the schadenfreude is going to be exquisite.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don’t think anything can beat the fact someone did a rugpull with a currency named after Bernie Madoff.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Golden Bee posted:

I don’t think anything can beat the fact someone did a rugpull with a currency named after Bernie Madoff.

You, my friend, need to look at the past SA Bitcoin threads…Honest Ponzi dot com was a real (accurate) thing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

https://www.pcgamer.com/f1-delta-time-one-of-the-first-major-nft-games-has-shut-down/

quote:

While F1 Delta Time may be fairly obscure to most people, it was significant in how it "legitimised" the idea of NFT and play-to-earn gaming. Most notably, it saw the biggest-value sale of an NFT in 2019, with a jewel-encrusted car called the 1-1-1 going for an Ethereum value over $100,000.

(…)

As for what's happened to all those precious NFTs, well, for all intents and purposes they no longer exist.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

https://kotaku.com/f1-formula-1-one-delta-time-nft-crypto-cursed-shut-down-1848748953

Kotaku posted:

With owners Animoca unable to renew the F1 license, however, it is now also a test case for what happens when a licensed NFT game dies. All that money splashed out on cars and other items—some players would later spend almost $300,000 on a single transaction—is now ostensibly worthless. Sure, the tokens themselves live on, but without the game they were bought for there’s no actual value there.

:holymoley:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Do you think star citizen would have gone all in on NFTs if the timings had been different?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

who could have foreseen this?!!?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Splicer posted:

Do you think star citizen would have gone all in on NFTs if the timings had been different?

I laughed out loud at the question, so I guess my answer is yes and considering there's no game it's probably not too late to start.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
hahaha lol

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Splicer posted:

:drat:

100% YES!

Undoubtedly...the dev(s) are probably kicking themselves for not inventing the grift, and management is probably working on incorporating it as we post!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's an interesting question because every existing ("existing") game I can think of that has made noise about implementing NFTs has had a huge fan backlash, but I could see the Star Citizen fanbase specifically being super into the idea. On the other hand the NFT fad seems to be dying and all but the truest of believers seem to aware of it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lol. :lmao:

Absolutely incredible.

An NFT... completely without value? Impossible!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Star citizen doesn’t need NFT‘s, those pictures of spaceships are NFTs

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Golden Bee posted:

Star citizen doesn’t need NFT‘s, those pictures of spaceships are NFTs

Yeah, this. Chris Roberts isn't chewing his lip because he missed out on the grift of selling non-existent poo poo to moron "investors", he's already been riding that train for years.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Turns out when games as a service hit end of life so do the NFT's. In two days we get two articles showing this.

https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-ends-its-nft-experiment-in-ghost-recon-breakpoint-but-promises-theyre-coming-to-other-games/

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Turns out when games as a service hit end of life so do the NFT's. In two days we get two articles showing this.

https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-ends-its-nft-experiment-in-ghost-recon-breakpoint-but-promises-theyre-coming-to-other-games/

"You own a piece of the game" ? So we've gone full circle from games as a product to games as a service to making people pay extra to own a little bit of product?

There's literally nothing new here. I remember when you bought a CD and you'd have to insert a CD key while installing the game. Those CDs were less fungible than whatever the hell they're "innovating" now

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Ars Technica: Ubisoft’s first NFT experiment was a dumpster fire

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The fact that they are still threatening to put it into more games is disturbing, but I made the descision to never buy any more of their games a while ago so it shouldn't effect me.
Edit: now that I think about it, the amount of power needed to keep those stupid blockchain servers going is probably going to destroy any profit made from this, and the fact they need to keep them going forever to make any of these NFT's "Legitimate" means they really have to go double or nothing with this.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 6, 2022

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tombot posted:

Edit: now that I think about it, the amount of power needed to keep those stupid blockchain servers going is probably going to destroy any profit made from this

The Ubisoft NFTs use a non-mining based token where the tokens are created as drops from the company, so it will cost them nothing but digital storage space to keep the system running if no one's trading on it. How much energy the system as a whole wastes depends mostly on whether each person who's logged in to the game counts as a stakeholder or only ones who have purchased NFTs, because each transaction in the chain's cost goes up exponentially for each stakeholder that exists. Weirdly, if only like a hundred people bought Breakpoint NFTs and the only stakeholders are Ubisoft and them, it probably used up almost nothing in electricity.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Tombot posted:

The fact that they are still threatening to put it into more games is disturbing, but I made the descision to never buy any more of their games a while ago so it shouldn't effect me.
Edit: now that I think about it, the amount of power needed to keep those stupid blockchain servers going is probably going to destroy any profit made from this, and the fact they need to keep them going forever to make any of these NFT's "Legitimate" means they really have to go double or nothing with this.

Pretty good odds they're just going to quietly shelve it at this point. If they really wanted to make a go of it they'd announce it for a game people care about :shrug:

The only real surprise here is how quickly they gave up IMO.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 7, 2022

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Richard Garriott, creator of Ultima, is making an NFT-powered MMO

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Finally, online land ownership. How many Linden dollars/acre?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Zero surprise that the dude who is fresh off a shell game MMO that tried doing the jpgs of castles move like Star Citizen would go for a round two.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Luckily for him, people who buy NFTs are the exact kind of moron who would fall for this twice.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

How the mighty have fallen.

And with this there's always the slithering thought: is it wrong to enjoy Ultima 4 to 7 (and SI)?
Because yes, Lord British and his whole group of renaissance fair cosplayers where there as self-insert OCs do not steal. There were warning signs from the very start.
:shepicide:

But those were good games.

Ugh, kill your idols I guess and Garriot's time has gone since a decade or two. But it's simply sad.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

Garriott, who is himself a cryptocurrency investor, explained that they want players to not have to think about the blockchain while playing their new game.

"Don't think about the scam! Just buy the virtual land!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Ultima games are good and them being crammed full of self-inserts doesn't really change that. Garriott was a visionary developer with some revolutionary ideas about making games and it's very sad that he's transformed into a scam artist who just kind of shows up every couple of years to try pushing a new grift by using the kudos he earned for spearheading a game series that's forty years old and hasn't had a new entry since before the millenium.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

a game series that's forty years old and hasn't had a new entry since before the millenium.

This is the worst thing in this thread by all.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Omobono posted:

How the mighty have fallen.

And with this there's always the slithering thought: is it wrong to enjoy Ultima 4 to 7 (and SI)?
Because yes, Lord British and his whole group of renaissance fair cosplayers where there as self-insert OCs do not steal. There were warning signs from the very start.
:shepicide:

But those were good games.

Ugh, kill your idols I guess and Garriot's time has gone since a decade or two. But it's simply sad.

That's just how game developers rolled in the 80's and into the 90's when games were still a niche for weirdos. It's more endearing than any sort of red flag, like how the Wizardry characters Werdna and Trebor are just the devs' names backwards. It still happens in modern games to a lesser extent, like how Arcade Gannon was one of Josh Sawyer's characters in a tabletop Fallout campaign.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Omobono posted:

I maintain that there should be a rich & famous escape clause for art vs artist separation: if an artist you liked became a much worse person after gaining wealth and fame, it's ok to just pretend they died instead. Enjoy the art they made before they died, and ignore whatever the weird rear end in a top hat with the same name is doing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Arcade Gannon is a lucky name. If he was console Gannon, Link would kill him.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
A story in two parts:

https://twitter.com/Pierce_Brown/status/1513594380942073861

https://twitter.com/Pierce_Brown/status/1513934960855379968

I love seeing people back down on their scam launches after their own fans bully them, usually in less than 24 hours.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
To be fair I believe that most creators and celebs that promote NFTs usually do not know any better (or just not terminally online) and think it is just some big new thing to get on top of, rather than Amway for nerds.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I think there's a difference between promoting and starting a whole NFT project like this poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Less Fat Luke posted:

A story in two parts:

https://twitter.com/Pierce_Brown/status/1513594380942073861

https://twitter.com/Pierce_Brown/status/1513934960855379968

I love seeing people back down on their scam launches after their own fans bully them, usually in less than 24 hours.

Who in the Nine Hells is this guy?