Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So I’m telling myself there’s still a chance I’ll skip Yelinak but I just bought another Lenovo M73 desktop off Facebook for $50 soooooo…

I see a lot of people on forums claiming everyone uses ShowEQ. Is that exaggeration from people trying to justify using it, or am I the last sucker out there without “Monk track”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

BGrifter posted:

So I’m telling myself there’s still a chance I’ll skip Yelinak but I just bought another Lenovo M73 desktop off Facebook for $50 soooooo…

I see a lot of people on forums claiming everyone uses ShowEQ. Is that exaggeration from people trying to justify using it, or am I the last sucker out there without “Monk track”?

I mean, every guild that raids on Mischief uses it, as well as every large boxer and krono farmer, that makes up a large percentage of the population. I have a computer "dedicated" to it.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

MrTheDevious posted:

not even Brad McQuaid could tell you're not playing on 2 "true" boxes

there's quite a bit he can't tell these days

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

MF_James posted:

I mean, every guild that raids on Mischief uses it, as well as every large boxer and krono farmer, that makes up a large percentage of the population. I have a computer "dedicated" to it.

I also had one of my 9 physical boxes dedicated to ShowEQ back on Mangler, it's pretty drat useful.

Definitely not going hardcore boxing this time around, probably just a Monk/Shaman if I play on Yelinak.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Every guild ive been in on a TLP has had people using showeq and its becoming more common over time due to the lack of punishment they see other people who are obviously using it get. Obviously not EVERYONE is using it, but, lets just say the amount of people using it is only getting larger over time. Only thing stopping me from doing it is it sounds like a pain in the rear end to keep it active, and i am only using 1 moniter atm so it wouldn't be as useful anyway.

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I tried starting fresh on Mischief, but the low level population is non-existent and the prospect of soloing is nauseating. The other option is dropping real world money and paying for a powerlevel, but no way. I don't think there's any reasonable way to get into this server and the only remaining option for TLP is to wait for the new ones next month.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Darkmoon2k posted:

I tried starting fresh on Mischief, but the low level population is non-existent and the prospect of soloing is nauseating. The other option is dropping real world money and paying for a powerlevel, but no way. I don't think there's any reasonable way to get into this server and the only remaining option for TLP is to wait for the new ones next month.

yea, TLP's are great for being a single-toon player but they always start dying out after like 6 months after the basically everyone and their alts are level 60+ and the golden age nostalgia starts fading. It's a sad inevitability of the game being as old as it is with the new player growth being non-existent. At this point in a TLP cycle you're more likely to run into people levelling on a live server than a TLP

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Darkmoon2k posted:

i have to disagree here, i've also done this and im finding groups at most all level ranges. this is the healthiest low level pop in GoD i've ever seen on 4 TLPs

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dubious posted:

i have to disagree here, i've also done this and im finding groups at most all level ranges. this is the healthiest low level pop in GoD i've ever seen on 4 TLPs

Wonder if the recent suspensions have anything to do with it?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

BGrifter posted:

It really is just widespread, yeah. As you start using it, you’ll recognize immediately how many people are doing it. It becomes a very obvious tell when you can correlate group / puller movements to what the map shows you.

Also that’s just the tip of the iceberg. We play in a fully automated bot era on TLPs. KissAssist and other bot software including warping has been present on every tlp. The bat phone guild that shows up on every TLP absolutely use warp hacks to get ow targets, I’ve been on their raids and competing against their raids with dueling cheat races. It was quite the funny ordeal. If anyone was with me in midnight rations during luclin, you’ll probably remember our VT raid shenanigans. Once, we raced for an OW kill in VT by deleting doors and doing OOB corpse pulling. The bat phone guild arrived in zone, saw we were OOB setting up in an impossible area (because they saw us on showeq), and their raid lead warped to the boss, warped to us, and tired to train. We won the fight, and I had to remind everyone to shut the gently caress up about wanting to report them because.. dudes did you not pay attention to me going OOB for the past hour of setup??

The population is better informed on cheat tools, and not afraid to risk it because daybreak basically does these mass suspensions once every five years. And worse case? Oh you lose one TLP account temporarily.

Fwiw I only use showeq, oob, and door deletion so far. I would be open to running a bot for my future shaman tho so hit me with your favorite cheaty tools.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 13, 2022

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Anyone actively competing for stuff in open world uses it. I didn't bother with it for years until a GoD mission in the sewers where nameds had a low chance to spawn anywhere in zone after x number of kills. The place is huge and has 30 trash mobs in every room with undead mixed in. That was the point I just shrugged and installed it.

Be warned if you start using it you will immediately become dependent on it. It's just too useful for 'achieving' activities in this game. Simply being able to instantly see what camps are taken is something that feels 100% essential once you've had the ability. I honestly wish that was built into the game somehow (/tar and bind sight is close but very tedious)

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Solarin posted:

Be warned if you start using it you will immediately become dependent on it. It's just too useful for 'achieving' activities in this game. Simply being able to instantly see what camps are taken is something that feels 100% essential once you've had the ability. I honestly wish that was built into the game somehow (/tar and bind sight is close but very tedious)

all my talk about cheats above, really, this sums it up better as to why the population uses it.

You know all those times you enter a zone and do a camp check, get no response, only to find out after 10 minutes of clearing to the camp, someone is parked there? Yeah, showeq lets you know what camps are open without asking, just login, scope out where you want to park, find it relatively quickly, and have at it.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Also some patch notes out including OOC regen being unlocked in Gates instead of TSS. It's funny they're doing this as a lazy way to enable it for their god launch server. There's zero chance that change would get made otherwise.

Still a good change for everyone, and really good for melee since dying and losing endurance is incredibly crippling around this point.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Solarin posted:

Also some patch notes out including OOC regen being unlocked in Gates instead of TSS. It's funny they're doing this as a lazy way to enable it for their god launch server. There's zero chance that change would get made otherwise.

Still a good change for everyone, and really good for melee since dying and losing endurance is incredibly crippling around this point.

So this will make monks even more op.

Edit: also where are you seeing this announcement?

Zil fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 13, 2022

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

I was fine without it on Mischief because I had Druid tracking. But I’d rather not be the guy who constantly shows up to freshly dead quest mobs on Yelinak. My preference would be a game without this stuff, but it feels silly to put myself at a disadvantage if DPG doesn’t care.

We’ve got a month till server launch so maybe sometime I’ll make up a fresh account and see if I can figure out the setup. I’d welcome any tips. I’ve got a few old laptops kicking around if I need a secondary PC.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Zil posted:

So this will make monks even more op.

Edit: also where are you seeing this announcement?

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/update-4-12-2022-patch-notes-and-discussions.282057/

I don't know if it makes monks more dominant in the GoD-PoR eras. If I didn't die I would usually have enough endurance to cycle all my discs through the raids with just the general downtime of moving boss to boss.

Monks are probably the most able to dump endurance for damage starting in DoN with Dragon Fang because the berserker equivalent seems much weaker and rogues is a utility spell. But that is pretty minor, maybe 50 DPS, and if you have to afk while the raid is clearing trash then it probably is a net loss vs just auto attacking poo poo.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

BGrifter posted:

We’ve got a month till server launch so maybe sometime I’ll make up a fresh account and see if I can figure out the setup. I’d welcome any tips. I’ve got a few old laptops kicking around if I need a secondary PC.

The only really tricky part is finding the right offsets file for the patch. It's basically a file that tells SEQ how to read the data coming from the game servers. Someone in my guild wrote a custom offset generator. I think red guides published the offsets but costs $5/month.

Everyone here is right about SEQ. It's an awesome, great convenience tool for getting things done, and it will totally ruin the game when you're not playing with it. Would highly recommend.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Thinking about early raiding on the Vaniki server - I don't see how anything that fears could be done. At level 40 even with max resist buffs your never going to resist the fears from the dragons or CT.

The lack of raw AC and hp means the tank would be getting 1 rounded by basically any raid boss.

Certainly at level 60 with PoR you'd be getting all the Luclin AAs auto-grant (assuming DoDh is with PoR) and you'd be hugely more capable. And at 65 you'd be rocking and probably getting defiant armour.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Offsets are always posted freely, http://www.showeq.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?64-MySEQ-Help-Desk someone usually posts them there a few hours after patch. Here's the current patch thread, with working offsets for live servers. Can't find the thread listed on the sub forum for some reason, it was there when I checked it last.. but going through dialup's posts finds it easily enough. They seem to be the one working on the x64 windows client version.

http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?7756-Live-Offsets-03-09-22&p=51834#post51834

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Baconroll posted:

Thinking about early raiding on the Vaniki server - I don't see how anything that fears could be done. At level 40 even with max resist buffs your never going to resist the fears from the dragons or CT.

The lack of raw AC and hp means the tank would be getting 1 rounded by basically any raid boss.

Certainly at level 60 with PoR you'd be getting all the Luclin AAs auto-grant (assuming DoDh is with PoR) and you'd be hugely more capable. And at 65 you'd be rocking and probably getting defiant armour.

Infinite rezzes and 72 man raids kind of provide a solution to tanks being one rounded. I've been in a lot of raid situations that should have been full wipes but the clerics just kept rezzing and throwing bodies at the fight.

The rush for cleric epics should be funny though. There will be some depravity at those epic bottleneck camps that are trivial for a level 40. SK harm touch being full power with GoD unlock is going to make them amazing named snipers.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Ahh I forgot Vet AAs - everyone can have max resists for a boss fight even without buffs or bards.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
lol krono farming and everyone using showeq? think I'll pass on TLPs

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

*** NPCs ***

- All NPCs have had their 'body type' reviewed and potentially adjusted:
- - Removed the distinction between summoned elementals and other constructs, insects and other animals, lycanthropes and other humanoids, vampires and other undead, distinguished figures of the Ring of Scale or the Claws of Veeshan and other dragons, and distinguished figures of Kael Drakkel and other giants.
- - All creatures that are not humanoids or animals require a magical weapon to attack.
- - Creatures now uniformly belong to one of the following categories:
- - - Special damage targets - Greater Akheva, Draz Nurakk, and Zek.
- - - Animals - Non-magical living organisms, not plants, not quite humanoids.
- - - Construct/Elemental - Conjured, Elemental, or animated matter, including Clockworks.
- - - Dragons - Draconic creatures (Dragons, Drakes, Wurms, Wyverns). Excludes dinosaurs and Drakkin.
- - - Extraplanar - Death-Touching creature, typically the Avatar of a God.
- - - Giants - Large bipedal creatures descended from the creations of Rallos Zek.
- - - Humanoids - Living non-magical sentient bipedal organisms.
- - - Magical - Magical creatures and anything that does not fit into another category.
- - - Plants - Potentially sentient living photosynthetic or fungus-based non-animal organism.
- - - Undead - Deceased souls, optionally corporeal, distinct from animist spirits and other magical beings.

So does this mean that all newbie zone skeletons can't be attacked normally by melee?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Orange DeviI posted:

Also shitloads of boxing. Somehow they're still pretty fun in their own bastardized way

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea, for all the bullshit that happens on the TLP’s, nothing quite compares to the nostalgia of starting on a fresh one, where every zone is packed with people.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

RCarr posted:

Yea, for all the bullshit that happens on the TLP’s, nothing quite compares to the nostalgia of starting on a fresh one, where every zone is packed with people.

All fighting over that one skelly with a cracked staff.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Zil posted:

True story, Aradune launch, I found a static skeleton spawn in N. Qeynos and sat on it until level 4.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Zil posted:

That ratio and raw plat value

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Orange DeviI posted:

Oh do I have bad news for you about p99 if you assume it’s free from showeq and boxing :angel:

Reality is this game is so old it’s been broken apart for over two decades. Every EQ server including the popular emus has people using showeq everywhere.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I rolled a ranger on P99 green a couple months back because I had never played one, and the sheer utility of being able to know what was around me at all times through tracking was game changing. I can really see how having it to an even higher degree and on any class would be something that once you had you'd never be able to give up.

I find myself in a really weird spot now because I was planning on playing the TLP but it sounds like I'm pretty much wasting my time if I'm not using assist programs, and I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of setting up a Linux box or VM just to run it when I know I'll play at most a month or two. Most Ultima Online modern clients have what what were considered cheats 20 years ago baked into them as QOL features, and it's hard not to look at the EQ stuff the same way now.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Arven posted:

I find myself in a really weird spot now because I was planning on playing the TLP but it sounds like I'm pretty much wasting my time if I'm not using assist programs, and I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of setting up a Linux box or VM just to run it when I know I'll play at most a month or two. Most Ultima Online modern clients have what what were considered cheats 20 years ago baked into them as QOL features, and it's hard not to look at the EQ stuff the same way now.

I don't think you're wasting your time because there are people that use SEQ or bots or multibox. That's a perception you home rolled yourself, and it was one you didn't have until people let you in on the open secret. You just might get frustrated from, say, random people invising past your dungeon camps to snipe rares, or people sniping open world rares in SK or wherever. But that was going to happen, anyway, with people fighting over camps or kill stealing you anyway.

You don't need a separate box to run SEQ and it doesn't need to be Linux either. There's a windows port and it can run the client and the server from the same machine fine.

E: the real waste of time is playing TLPs in the first place :getin:

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Arven posted:

I find myself in a really weird spot now because I was planning on playing the TLP but it sounds like I'm pretty much wasting my time if I'm not using assist programs, and I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of setting up a Linux box or VM just to run it when I know I'll play at most a month or two.

Unless you're racing in open world it shouldn't stop you from having fun. You get to be safe when the next ban wave occurs. Guilds that hunt open world will probably have someone else running something.

The latest epic 1.0 changes removed many of the contested bottlenecks. Loot is nodrop so the RMT people will have a harder time camping them for profit.

Most casual guilds will 100% focus on AoC raids. You can also pop unused instances for weekly dungeon crawls to exp in peace if the /picks are too contested.

The TLP game is incredibly casual friendly up until Luclin/PoP. You can play 3 hours a week and stay current. The trick is to find a raid guild that raids efficiently.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I guess I'll still check it out and try to go without cheats. I was planning on running a ranger again for the utility, but it still seems like kind of a waste when I know a good number of people can just bypass tracking entirely with SEQ.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Arven posted:

I guess I'll still check it out and try to go without cheats. I was planning on running a ranger again for the utility, but it still seems like kind of a waste when I know a good number of people can just bypass tracking entirely with SEQ.

If it’s any comfort game knowledge sometimes still trumps hacks. I got and sold a huge number of Dareb’s Skulls and Heads of Shen on Mischief using Druid track and understanding the zone/how they spawn/where they spawn. Got a lot of tells from angry Monks presumably using ShowEQ.

That said, it’s pretty telling how few of the TLP guides I’ve seen even make mention of Druid/Bard track. In a world where ShowEQ was less prevalent it’d be a nice perk to get tracking from your Melodybot box.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
I do not use any assist stuff and have had a great time playing. It's all about whether you wanna be leading a guild or racing open world stuff. It's not like every single person uses this stuff. It's that every guild has some officers using it. And then some percent of population in general. Like 30-40 percent?

Not everyone are crazy hard core folks. They're a fair amount just getting a nostalgia fix. At least that's been my experience. I've used eyes briefly and just basically stopped because I didn't wanna bother with it. But maybe most people after exposed would keep doing it.

I use a parsing program. And our guild uses Gina which does audio and visual prompts to in game emotes. But otherwise basically just play it regular.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

onesixtwo posted:

Oh do I have bad news for you about p99 if you assume it’s free from showeq and boxing :angel:

Reality is this game is so old it’s been broken apart for over two decades. Every EQ server including the popular emus has people using showeq everywhere.

there's a difference between it being out in the open and not, suspension of disbelief and all

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Apparently they are waking the Sleeper on P99 Green if you want to watch it on Twitch.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

ShowEQ use is rampant on TLPs. I'd say the majority of the server have it and use it on a regular basis. Macroquest usage is pretty rampant as well, ranging from the very obvious Siren's Grotto plat farm groups, to Warpy Mcgee who ports around zones sniping nameds or the one guy who is definitely not automating his 54 character raid and also totally has 54 laptops on his desk manually boxing a raid.

That said, I don't give a gently caress. It's a PvE game, if you want to cheat yourself go ahead, just don't be a oval office to others whilst doing it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

Yeah, everyone’s got SEQ these days. It’s not actually a big deal and no one’s incensed about it’s use anymore. You still don’t talk about it in game, don’t generate any chat logs where you’re openly admitting to it or sharing info that makes it obvious and you’ll be fine.

As for MQ and it’s derivatives, outside of top end competitive raid users, the people who run it generally fall into two camps, the 70-box raid automation kronolord, or the plat farmer. You see a whole lot less of it’s use in farming or grinding zones because people will report warping and training nonsense (because everyone can watch it happen on eyes.)

It’s a bit of a Cold War situation. The top end guys will use it while racing for content or trying to save time on timesink nonsense like VT, but it largely goes away in LGuk or Sebilis or whatever.

That train that hit you mid camp, that was probably a bard or a monk doing that legitimately. That sort of thing has always been sort of a “fair play” part of EQ. The GMs still won’t do anything about it. It’s the classic EQ circa late-2000 experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

koreban posted:

That train that hit you mid camp, that was probably a bard or a monk doing that legitimately. That sort of thing has always been sort of a “fair play” part of EQ. The GMs still won’t do anything about it. It’s the classic EQ circa late-2000 experience.

They’ll actually hand out suspensions for training. We had an old guildy catch a 7 day after getting in a camp spat in velks and using his monk to drop a train on his interlocutors. Was last summer around ldon so server was kinda anemic too I was surprised they cared. You also need to be careful w/ training around launches when there is a lot more people on.

Most people don’t care anymore when they get trained but occasionally you’ll get a Karen running a complaint up the chain. Camp stealing or DPS racing seem pretty safe but if you try and train someone out just hope they don’t complain and definitely don’t be sloppy running around on launch I know people that have caught suspensions carelessly running stuff to zone during a launch.