Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
one mystery solved.

https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1513752969019203584?s=20&t=j4zbVjy9t7o3lCvRD6f9Hg

but why did the band start playing?

It was actually a pretty common situation where a guest starts singing. These are professionals who can improvise on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

xerxus posted:

one mystery solved.

https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1513752969019203584?s=20&t=j4zbVjy9t7o3lCvRD6f9Hg

It was actually a pretty common situation where a guest starts singing. These are professionals who can improvise on the spot.

"We cut out a thing we didn't think people would care about in order to move the story along faster. People got mad anyway."

E: At this point I suspect by the end of the season Matalas is just going to straight up @ Nerdrotic and tell Gary to get his gross geriatric ballsack beard stuck in a paper shredder and gently caress off, and I will be here for it completely.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 12, 2022

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

"We cut out a thing we didn't think people would care about in order to move the story along faster. People got mad anyway."

Clearly Terry isn't the Trekker he claims to be if he intentionally skipped an opportunity to explain trivial minutiae!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nine-gear crow posted:

The thing is, even if they'd left in the hacking scene, it still would have been weird and dumb. "Who set up the spotlight" isn't the issue, it's just a handy detail to centre the broader point on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

xerxus posted:

one mystery solved.

I mean, the ep was 39 minutes

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When not-Laris was introduced, we saw her take over a bunch of different people.

So, why couldn't they have done that at the party and have Picard puppeteer some rando up to Renee and give his pep talk? No need for heist bullshit, no chance of getting run over by a Soongicidal lunatic, no opportunity for accidental merging with a Borg queen.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

She clearly assimilated the band beforehand

Gimme Borg in the factor of five, six, seven and..

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When not-Laris was introduced, we saw her take over a bunch of different people.

So, why couldn't they have done that at the party and have Picard puppeteer some rando up to Renee and give his pep talk? No need for heist bullshit, no chance of getting run over by a Soongicidal lunatic, no opportunity for accidental merging with a Borg queen.

From how she was talking about it at the end of the episode when she talked about adapting it to mind meld with picard, it sounded like she had special poo poo engineered into her brain to help her do that.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I mean, the ep was 39 minutes

34 technically since the recap was 2, the opening titles are 2, and the credits are 1. It's like that old joke with two people in a restaurant. "The food at this place is terrible." "I know, and such small portions!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Yeah, could I have a longer episode, please?"
"Sure, here you go."
"Thanks." *goes back to looking at my phone*

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

"Yeah, could I have a longer episode, please?"
"Sure, here you go."
"Thanks." *goes back to looking at my phone*

*vacuums the house during the entirety of the episode*

“This is stupid! I don’t know what’s going on!”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I vacuumed during the entirety of Eternals and it increased my enjoyment factor by quite a lot

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I vacuumed during the entirety of Eternals and it increased my enjoyment factor by quite a lot

Why didn't you let Eternals do that for you? It certainly sucked enough.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Is season 2 of Picard worth watching at all?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

i’d wait four weeks and ask again; it started off stronger than s1, but the plot has since been wheel-spinning at random

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, this might be better if you can binge it and just fast forward through some of this "filler". I think the same was kind of true in S1, it might be better as a half day marathon vs a slow drip.

For as much as I hate it, I still want to see what they're getting to. They're just taking the least appealing route there, for my tastes. Presumably there's some fun twist or crescendo they're building to. I won't be surprised if it's one of the possibilities already speculated in this thread. All the things I've posted and somehow I'm still mildly optimistic there's something fun at the end. I mean it's Q, how can I NOT enjoy it??

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
To give you an idea of the wheel spinning. It's entirely possible that Season 2 episode 1 and Season 3 episode 1 will occur chronologically back-to-back.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

A.o.D. posted:

Why didn't you let Eternals do that for you? It certainly sucked enough.

Can't suck if you're already in a vacuum!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

How much of a nostalgia tickle will you get out of seeing a little bit of John de Lancie and Brent Spiner hamming it up?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

some kinda jackal posted:

I mean it's Q, how can I NOT enjoy it??

Yeah, I mean, everybody loves Q. But you could just watch an edit that takes all of the Q scenes and splices them together with no context. It will be maybe 30 minutes of stuff by the time the season's over.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Lister posted:

Yeah, I mean, everybody loves Q. But you could just watch an edit that takes all of the Q scenes and splices them together with no context. It will be maybe 30 minutes of stuff by the time the season's over.

Not fair adding the deleted scenes to your run time.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Starfleet shows up in the first couple episodes with more than one type of ship!

That was kinda the high point

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Starts off great, been gradually sliding into forgettable sci fi camp, stands about even odds of pulling back up at the end.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As soon as we hit the eject button on this 2024 nonsense I think it’ll become 100% more watchable.

Buuut I fear that won’t be for a few episodes to come, so…

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think it's pretty safe to say at this point we're going to be in 2024 until the last episode.

Where else could this story possibly go after they get back to the 24th century except to wrap everything up?

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 13, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Spoilers, I guess

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1514026037717446670?s=20&t=MJXRTPRY_X0_XcLXbaqWrA

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
How much have you wanted to see a direct sequel to Assignment Earth?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think it's pretty safe to say at this point we're going to be in 2024 until the last episode.

Where else could this story possibly go after they get back to the 24th century except to wrap everything up?

I am going to be shocked if we get out of 2024 any faster than like the last five minutes of 2x10. They are riding this bomb all the way down to the ground.

Also thank you to the person that I made so mad that they lit :10bux: of their own cash aflame to curse this thread with Gary Buechler's ugly white supremacist mug every time I deign to post in it from now until whenever I decide to get it changed free of charge because I'm a loving IK, you goofus. :newlol:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 13, 2022

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh how nice he got his granddaughter on the show

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Oh how nice he got his granddaughter on the show

It's not really nepotism until Ian McKellan shows up for a cameo.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

nine-gear crow posted:

I am going to be shocked if we get out of 2024 any faster than like the last five minutes of 2x10. They are riding this bomb all the way down to the ground.

Tired: wrapping up the season plot in 2x09 so there's enough time for epilogue decompression and next season setup in 2x10

Wired: resolving everything in the final minutes like Voyager's return to Earth

Inspired: end on a cliffhanger, deal with it next year

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They’re going to find some way to bring back the space tentacle big bad from S1E10 aren’t they

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

They’re going to find some way to bring back the space tentacle big bad from S1E10 aren’t they

But this time the space tentacles FIX the plot problem at the last possible second instead of cause it at the last possible second.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah season one is clearly being forgotten.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Is Picard a robot or not in the show right now? Because he got regular injuries, but I thought people said Gul Dukat killed him this timeline.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Both normal timeline Picard and Confederate Picard are in Cylon skinjob bodies. His syndrome from All Good Things caused the first, Dukat caused the second.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delsaber posted:

Both normal timeline Picard and Confederate Picard are in Cylon skinjob bodies. His syndrome from All Good Things caused the first, Dukat caused the second.

I love how for months people were going "Q's gonna be mad that Picard is a robot now and make him human again to satisfy all our ragebraining about it" and the moment finally comes and... Q absolutely does not give a poo poo that Picard's a meatbot and actually thinks its kind of cool :allears:

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

But wouldn't he still need a mechanic instead of a doctor? Otherwise he's a clone, not a robot. Something would be different.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just wanted ten episodes of PS and De Lancie trading quips for 45 minutes, IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK PARAMOUNT?? :mad:

Also, wait what, Dukat killed him in this timeline? I literally must have missed like ten seconds of dialogue along the way somewhere. I know he had Dukat’s skelebones in his creepy office so I presume it was thereabouts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CaptainSkinny posted:

But wouldn't he still need a mechanic instead of a doctor? Otherwise he's a clone, not a robot. Something would be different.

Synths are largely artificial enhanced biological bodies with positronic brains.