Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
I just got done reading the entire thread and I want to steal your life I'm extremely impressed by what you've accomplished! Circumstances have me living with my parents right now and you've given me the urge to convert their entire backyard into a fruit forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Clarence posted:

Good stuff.

Have you/are you going to put some kind of drip edge on the roof over your seat? Before it looked like it was some turned back roofing material that would just guide the water back in underneath.

Thanks- right now it curls around with the tarp and could be helped a fair bit just by me adjusting the tarp properly, it was all meant as a temporary measure till I figured out what came next but it's ridden that sweet spot between my laziness, not wanting to spend money and it not affecting the function too much

The plan was to buy some decking planks or similar, and use one or two as a drip edge and one each side vertically to extend the walls a bit, then eventually throw some corrugated sheet metal or plastic on the roof and build something very similar faced opposite where the old bench is, so I can make a roof between them

right now I'm bound to the season(s?) and must both relentlessly destroy and create trees but once stuff calms a little I was hoping to spend a few visits getting some more infrastructure sorted and having a good ol' camp out

Chicken Thumbs posted:

I just got done reading the entire thread and I want to steal your life I'm extremely impressed by what you've accomplished! Circumstances have me living with my parents right now and you've given me the urge to convert their entire backyard into a fruit forest.

Thankyou :shobon:

you should definitely do that, the second bit with the fruit trees not the steal my life part

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

riders on the storm

dried, defumigated, cleaned and polished both the new boots and the old

Sunny and bright. wind was either nothing or 35-40mph nor-westerly gusts that cut right throught the ripstop and chilled to the bone- storm Eunice is on the way, so there was no tree cutting because they were moving around too much

This big tree has been dead for awhile, but now it's entirely leaning on another with a big split running up it- I'm hoping the 70mph winds due tomorrow take care of this for me because lol that's a killer in waiting, might chuck a video of it swaying around up later if I get chance.

Pond and midway ditch getting quite full- would love a rental mini-digger and some time/energy to run some ditchwork and a new pond- maybe one day.

Adjusted/secured the benchshelter shelterbench tarp, and took rough measurements for the upgrades while also enjoying shelter and a bench

I cleared a binbag full of crap out of the caravan and doused the place down in jeyes again- while I was in there I checked the solar situation- the controller was totally dead and the battery quite drained, so I hooked the battery direct to the solar panels for now and will hook it to the fan subsystems next time after it gets juiced up a bit

Checked out my fruit trees and these pear buds are about ready to pop. Need to go around and clear the fruit bushes up a bit, but that's for another time

Felt real nice to have a day that wasn't all intensive work- hoping for some more time/energy in the next week or two to finish up cutting and get some planting underway- though I expect the storm will leave me with some new work. More. Soon.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I hope storm Eunice doesn't crap over everything you have going on there.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

I hope storm Eunice doesn't crap over everything you have going on there.

It's now a red weather warning here, poo poo will happen and I'm just gonna have to show up in a few days and hope it wasn't anything too expensive/didn't leave anything too big for me to handle

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Eunice by name, Eunice by nature

Bright, clear and sunny on the way in. Drove in so I could dump stuff off and then hiked in myself

Trees down- wish I had gotten more pictures, especially of one that came down on the neighboring farm- told myself I would do it on the way back out and forgot

The one I was especially worried about last time fell most of the way but is now caught up in another tree and still a big risk- I think I can handle it, gonna do some reading and thinking- it's right over my main path in, so it's gotta be dealt with somehow

Office got hosed up too

-Or-

Goddamn shelterbench, drunk and angry again

I think the shelterbench is heavier than me at this point, so restoring it included levers and piles of rocks and such and very few pictures because doing it solo while slipping around in the mud and sharp things was double plus special funtimes!

After a bit of thinking and a lot of sweating everything was back to shipshape and bristol fashion- some damage to a table and the old bench but fixable- everything else was just light cosmetic damage

Then I went off and collected my supplies- plenty of water of various grades, birdfood, a bunch of simple meals, seeds, jeyes fluid and other random housewares stuff

Lots of deer around, always when I haven't got my phone to hand

Right. So. Storytime.

An old plastic sandbag which had a bunch of other similar heavy duty bags inside, had blown into the pond. I fished it out with a branch, and these two different types of newt (the brown one is a smooth and the dark green with the funky head a palmate) fell out while I was draining it off- both alive but sleepy

So I put down some straw around them and laid the bag over them and carefully secured the bag with rocks and as such I think I have given them the best possible shot at things. No idea if they were in the bag before it flew into the pond or if they got in after- it's a bit too early for them to be out but that's the case for all nature down here right now.

The birds were really impatient by the time I fixed up the office and grabbed supplies and had a double newt encounter, but goddamn what a treat for them- the mealworms are starting to smell pretty good to me

Solar panel was torn away, wires rent- seemed to still be giving voltage, stashed for repairs in the future

Really was a hell of a few storms, pulled some of the reinforced eyelets right out of the tarps. Spent a bunch of time stocking the caravan up and then tidying up a bit, taking stock and dragging out a binbag full of crap

Well the storms have caused some work but that just means more, soon!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

:five:

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I've enjoyed keeping half an eye on this thread for years, thanks. What are you doing with the downed tree's, leaving them as habitats or tidying up? We've had trees down in the garden, but it's hard to leave it messy with limited space.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Megabook posted:

I've enjoyed keeping half an eye on this thread for years, thanks. What are you doing with the downed tree's, leaving them as habitats or tidying up? We've had trees down in the garden, but it's hard to leave it messy with limited space.

I will clear out the pathways, which includes dealing with the massive one blocking the pathway in, others that are in the woods will be left alone, or used to plant some stuff around for hedgerow creation if there's a good spot

Will be using the bulk of the wood cleared for habitat creation (laziness in not wanting to haul it around as well as a sense of care for the environment) but will probably take some firewood too- much is old, dead and quite dry hardwood- or any suitable lengths for constructing another wall or two on the office

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

What rolls down stairs
alone or in pairs,
and over your neighbor's dog?

Got run literally half off the road today on a narrow country lane and the side of the car has even more scratches now and also I think my arsehole took a bite out the driver's seat but look at the pretty flowers

Love standing and watching them flit around and feed

After a coffee, the before pictures

Long term viewers have seen this bit of pipe before! I kinda wish I had robbed it to use elsewhere as it had been turfed up by the fall but it's part of the habitat again now

4 whole makita batteries didn't last long today, a lot of hard-cutting

The wood was variable between rotten and long, long dried to the point of coming apart in sheets with a feel between balsa and styrofoam- but none of it was wet wood, a fact much lamented as I only had wet wood blades

I spent a long time walking around the bigger fallen tree and swearing- mainly cause I couldn't figure a good place to start, so I found the safest place to be, and spent a very long time cutting through this with the bowsaw at a weird angle then yelping and fleeing into a holly bush when the bark gave way and everything started moving

On inspection, the larger section was rife with longterm signs of animal activity and it only seems right to be laying these bits down to rest as habitat once again I'm still robbing a little bit for tinder tho

Most of the top of the tree is caught up in other trees off to the top left of this picture and the whole thing was under weird tensions from the rot and drying out and acting very strangely- and I spent a long time putting weakening cuts in and jumping up and down on it to bring it down and lodge it somewhat against the ground/other logs to make it a bit safer before moving in for the big kill

With the weight now taken off either side and judicious use of a wedge, this cut wasn't too bad- which was good, because I had stupidly pushed way too hard and not stopped to eat and rest, and as a result had a big ol' flare up of ME/CFS symptoms

The after pictures- had wanted to do more and get things cleared out more but didn't count on how much work it would be

Here's one just over the borderline, and beyond my responsibilities

The pond got bigger and the entrance to the northern section is soon gonna need a boat to cross the ditches and the shallow seas beyond

The temporary newt hotel is now a temporary newt submarine

Having the paved bit in the office is really nice and safe and comfortable but there's still a mud problem just moved over a bit so I guess I need more slabs and to do something with the approaches to the slabs to dry em out a bit

Guess who's finally getting a motherfuckin' chainsaw :colbert: . More. Soon.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

gently caress yeah

Won't ever be that clean again, time to make it earn it's keep

The rudest dudes in town, presiding

Real nice day for it too, shame some parts are so muddy but we can fix that later in the year

salesman told me that if I encounter god, god will be cut, provided I use the approved bar and chain oils

Started with some nice and easy practice cuts while laughing maniacally before moving on to clear some pathway

The rotten bits were interesting to cut, and made excellent biodiversity habitat that was already pretty biodiverse

Made a nice little pile to rot down ontop of an area already used for a long time to break down wood

Flies landed in this at least twice, if it happened more than twice the number of eaten flies today will increase correspondingly

Lots of logs built up. Lots. Had to start hiding them all over the place and was pretty drat tired when I was finally done with it

some before/after action- that pathway is clear

Was gifted some spare onion sets so chucked them into a bucket of compost to see what happens

There will be more, soon.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Happy springtime DDan! These pictures are good for the soul. Hope your health is kinder to you this year.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Maugrim posted:

Happy springtime DDan! These pictures are good for the soul. Hope your health is kinder to you this year.

Thanks buddy, you too! :kiddo: between the meds and the occupational therapists regimen things have gotten pretty tolerable/predictable compared with how it was- other stuff in my life just keeps happening at the moment and getting in the way of my plans of visiting twice a week but that's just how things are sometimes

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

my sowing beats my sewing

eh oop

prepped some seeds for sowing- a few packs were empty and I can't remember why I would leave empty packs but :iiam: I guess

then while I waited for the rain for me to sow I selected 3 dozen hedgerow friends and started the process

Dig the hole

Plant the plant

Stomp, repeat

Lots of bumble queens around looking for nests today

Chainsaw next? More planting? Who knows. Probably future me, that ruggedly handsome bastard! More soon!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

DesperateDan posted:

Chainsaw next? More planting? Who knows. Probably future me, that ruggedly handsome bastard! More soon!

A few tips, take it slow and work from the crown back. Depending on how long it’s been over, the root plate may fall back into the hole once the weight starts to be removed.
Also, the tension and compression could be all over the place and it’s very easy to get your saw trapped, so again take it slow and keep an eye on what the cut is doing.
This is literally what I’ve been clearing over the past couple of weeks!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Catzilla posted:

A few tips, take it slow and work from the crown back. Depending on how long it’s been over, the root plate may fall back into the hole once the weight starts to be removed.
Also, the tension and compression could be all over the place and it’s very easy to get your saw trapped, so again take it slow and keep an eye on what the cut is doing.

I've put a hugeee root wad back over on a big cottonwood that fell. Absolutely a good tip

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Catzilla posted:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I've put a hugeee root wad back over on a big cottonwood that fell. Absolutely a good tip

I thankyou both for your advice and caution but that particular tree is not on my land and I'm glad of it cause I'm not ready for that yet- I expect as it's off the pathway it will probably be left alone, but not my circus, not my monkeys

with enough 5 amp hour batteries I could probably conquer earth

the smell of the place is amazing right now and theres signs of life all over

while wearing the chainsaw chaps I often sing tracks from the popular video game fallout new vegas while swaggering around acting like a cowboy but what else is a fella with a big iron gonna do

i do it without the chaps on as well

First up was some path clearance

Only harvested a little for firewood, the rest became stored carbon deposits/habitat

I had wanted to fell the two trees to the middle of the picture, finishing the pond edge clearance project- wind was gusting too hard to do it safely (especially with limited chainsaw experience) so these two are gonna get a reprieve till at least winter because the bees were all over the fresh blooming flowers so the sap is probably in full flow now

pond got destumped with some interesting challenges to the newbie chainsaw slinger

So then I started work on sorting my building wood from firewood from previous cuts and the stumps from the pond, and cutting it to suitable length for both building and fires- gonna have a nice new office wall, coming soon

Firewood storage is now properly full and I need to split and bag and make some delivery of older stocks to make some room

The clearup and stocking was tiring but it was nice to get it sorted out- now ready for a log wall build

Weather is meant to be sunny for a week in a row, will be interesting to see if it can dry up some of this rasputitsa

Before from a few months ago/now- not the whole bit I wanted clear but most of it is good enough for now :colbert:

The game is afoot! More! Soon!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

That's sterling work, Dan.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

That's sterling work, Dan.

Thanks- that pathway is part of the main route in but I don't tend to use that segment much and maintain it as backup so it's a lot less muddy than the others right now- it gets lovely sunlight at sunrise/sunset because it's running headed pretty much directly south, and it's a good place to spot deer- I should probably shift the trailcam there next time round

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

kin

so my dear old auntie came down for a look around today- she sends her warmest regards. Not really much of an update 'cause I was being a polite nephew and providing coffee and answering questions and such but hey I was here and taking photos so you might as well take a peek too

Afterwards we walked up and had a look at the old ww2 AA gun position- seems much as the last time I saw it

More, soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

nifty fifty? swinging sixty

I asked them so politely to go back to bed and assured them it wasn't time to wake up yet but they didn't believe me

Between hard cracked earth and boot grabbing mud, less than ten metres. Unseasonably warm and I'm hoping for rains again.

55 plants

About a dozen or so were used next to the pathway near the entrance, berberis and cotoneaster and such for this sunnier patch

A little further back I arranged some logs into a vague guideline for a hedgerow wall

Make holes either side of/inside the logline, stomp plants into them- quickthorn and blackthorn and dogrose, hardy staples of the undergrowth. More old logs/branches to be added.... whenever.

Had to go back for five more to help bring us to a nice round figure (normally my round figure is the result of bacon double cheeseburgers)

And here's the after picture, which might as well be the before picture because 50 odd additional sticks among the crowd don't really stand out too well

Did a check on the plantings of yesteryears- this maple is doing me proud, and the vast majority of things I checked today were thriving

If you only count numbers, then I'm near halfway done planting- in reality most of the easy ones have been done and the real digging work still awaits. More. Soon.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I recognize a morakniv when I see one. Beautiful work too. We started developing a private blufftop campsite last summer and I can't wait to get up there shortly.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

AKZ posted:

I recognize a morakniv when I see one. Beautiful work too. We started developing a private blufftop campsite last summer and I can't wait to get up there shortly.

Thanks- I don't feel complete over there without my mora now- good luck with your work, get stuck in :)

come rain, hail or snow- won't stop the show

When I left home it was bright and sunny and when I got to the village it was snowing and I had to hike double distance in, due to road closures (for roadworks not snow)

https://i.imgur.com/YRlmxXG.mp4

Photos didn't really do the snow justice so here's part of my walk in throught the miracle of motion pictures hopefully

birds appreciated the feed a bit more than normal I think

About as much more as I appreciated the coffee and my scarf/jacket/gloves more I guess

Checked on some blossoms around the place to see how bad the cold snap gets them- fingers crossed for little damage

Decided to properly test/fix the solar panel, this end was fine, the other end of the leads was damaged to the point the wire was snapped inside the sheath providing a dodgy connection so I had to trim a few cm off the cable to make good

Stuck it to a window. Could have done better, especially on angle, but at least its up and providing power- filled two mouseholes on the front panel as well, will see if they eat 2015 era knock-off no more nails and add steel wool/expanding foam as needed

And we are back to power- luckily the little internal panel was still giving some juice to the new battery while the big one was ripped off so it had stayed alive. Checked the fan was working but kept it turned off till next visit to let the system get a nice charge going (hopefully)

Door of the caravan was marked with blood, maybe 12 to 24 hours fresh- could find no trail away nor fur nor feather to identify, and I don't think it's Passover for another two weeks so :iiam:

I bailed just as the weather got nice again- got a lot on my plate right now but I'm still hopeful that there will be more, soon.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 31, 2022

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Ilu

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I can only love my mora.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

endlessmonotony posted:

I can only love my mora.

I love you all and my moras and the bahco branded one and the hultafors just gimme that sweet sweet scandi grind

springen sprungen

lots of life

mochas and hot chocs were in demand

chucked some of the seat cushions out in the sun and breeze and misted em down with the ol' jeyes

Got down to some work- 10+ in the ground for a low lying hedgerow by the pond- some of it some real old stock that was still hanging on and I have now absolved my responsibilities toward

fire for the heat and meat for the eat- and good practice at starting fires in a breeze

buzzard kept circling today, kept pissing off my corvidic guardians

still got a bunch that needs to go in the ground and a lot of other poo poo going on but today was fun and I'm very confident there will be more, soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the lightly soiled dozen

comradeship through joy (about the seeds)

Grabbed a dozen for some hedge- mountain ash and silver birch, walnut and dog rose

fresh roots galore, worms a' wrigglin

partial before/after- the whole dozen went in on this stretch of pathway on the edge of the northern swamps

still got power, fuckin' awesome

you know what else we got? ONIONS MOTHERFUCKER

only had the energy for that dozen- ended up spending a long time sat enjoying the place and resting a little- but as the roots be shooting hard I'm obliged to make plans for more, soon

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
How’d you learn to do all this, Dan?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lackmaster posted:

You just pick up the Mora. It'll guide your hand.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Been going through the trailcam footage and I would bet the contents of my wallet that one of the muntjac is heavily pregnant

Unfortunately reputable betting establishments won't accept an old train ticket, a novelty oversized paperclip or an expired condom as legal tender

Lackmaster posted:

It's been very gradual with lots of small bits of learning spread out over a long time of doing things- fortunately things are often very hard to properly/permanently gently caress up, and unless you get deep into the science of things, it's not very complex to understand either. There's been a few bits on youtube that I picked up stuff up from but my go-to resources are normally the RHS plant guides and a bunch of DG Hessayon books

Most of it is just following nature- certain plants favour certain conditions, so I look them up and do my best to provide for them while picking new varieties to suit the lay of the land. Animals and insects generally want to be left alone to exploit the habitats. Work like cutting wood in winter and planting in spring happens because it makes it easier and gives better results- main thing is just to keep turning up to do all the small things and the big bits just fall into place

TLDR: I hosed 'aboot and found 'oot

endlessmonotony posted:

You just pick up the Mora. It'll guide your hand.

And also this

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

throwing in the trowel

tried to get down there thrice this last week including today but various poo poo be happening- more on that at some indeterminate time in the future- but I did make myself go repot the hedgerow plants kept home from the big purchase today- all of them very alive and very happy despite being much in need of the repot, and will be implanted at the farm either in autumn or next spring. Still hoping to have the vast majority of poo poo planted by the end of the month so I can clear up the nursery and move on to other stuff planned

not pictured were the two catmint, both of which are still teeny and now live on my windowsill till they can survive a kitty attack. More. Soon.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

squashages

welcome to the five acres. we got ducks! they even stuck around a bit this time!

we got woodland wildflowers!

fruit trees coming into blossom too!

the next caption will not use an exclamation mark!

I lied!

27 more in the ground, mix of long term potted and some hedgerow heroes, capping off the important southern facing ends of some hedges with some style

need to try increasing the gap between low voltage cut off and re-connect voltage- the solar panel being wired direct to the battery isnt the best solution as the overall system voltage between the panel and the battery has the relay flicking on and off when the light levels/system voltage is marginal

I could fix it with a solar charge controller but I also think buying another panel and aiming the current ones better might obviate the need entirely and give me that sweet 24/7 fan action

well that was fun and slightly more than 2 dozen in the ground is alright by me, and I hope there will be more, soon

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ducks!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I meant to give a more serious answer to this, but I ended up sorting my knives instead.

The way I learned all this was from a lot of gardening / survival books, from watching my predecessors work, and just from looking around with a Mora on my belt for things that needed doing. When all you have is a reliable woodsman's knife, everything looks like something you can whittle into something new.

My heritage has much nicer knives too, but a Mora is cheap and functional. Gave my niece one when she turned five.

You learn by doing, and you get ideas of what to do by looking at what people before you have done. What you need to begin is a crowbar (or a digging bar to be more exact), a hammer, and of course a knife.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

And they were there again today, but left me with nothing but flaps and angry quacks and a magical feeling

endlessmonotony posted:

I meant to give a more serious answer to this, but I ended up sorting my knives instead.

The way I learned all this was from a lot of gardening / survival books, from watching my predecessors work, and just from looking around with a Mora on my belt for things that needed doing. When all you have is a reliable woodsman's knife, everything looks like something you can whittle into something new.

My heritage has much nicer knives too, but a Mora is cheap and functional. Gave my niece one when she turned five.

You learn by doing, and you get ideas of what to do by looking at what people before you have done. What you need to begin is a crowbar (or a digging bar to be more exact), a hammer, and of course a knife.

these posts brought to you by mora gang

I really need to take a few hours for some sharpening- both for my knives and for my wellbeing. I could spend a whole bunch on a really "nice" knife but even if I spent £2-300 I don't think it's going to be noticeably better than the £10 mora

two sources of knowledge I forgot to mention last time- I was an air cadet in my teen years and the significant first chunk of woodland survival I learnt was trying to hide out in the woods to drink and smoke without the officers finding out- the other is getting a bit more than halfway through a astronomy/physics degree before having to stop (gently caress the tories) and having a real good sense on the angles the sun should be at at various points of the year etc as well as a chunk of chemistry/biology

hedgerows against capitalism episode eleventy seventy whatever

popped to the shops, then took a drive somewhere much more lovely

brought in various bird foods, flower seed and gas and such and refilled the stocks- lucky birds today

bluebells coming through strong now

shifted the onions up to keep the solar panel company, morale is the hidden variable to boost wattage imo

got another dozen in the ground, including the nice new apple- the rest went into hedgerow needs. really wanted to do more but made myself stop and given how fuckin' wrecked I am now dear and constant reader, it was a very good call

The dessert and cooking apples are coming through, crabapples a bit slower or maybe I missed em :iiam:

Really hope I can finish planting by the end of the month 'cause I got some other projects I want to crack on with and also the ground is getting hard- more, soon!

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Is anybody any good at identifying orchids? Location is SW England.

Or do we have a more appropriate thread somewhere for this sort of thing?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

a petite and partial peek of a part of the parts pile before I toss a coin to see if it's boot maintenance or knife sharpening up next

Clarence posted:

Is anybody any good at identifying orchids? Location is SW England.

Or do we have a more appropriate thread somewhere for this sort of thing?

I dunno if there is another thread but google lens says it's an early purple or a green winged orchid, I would favour the latter because of the bulgy parts that I would know the name of if I had watched enough crime pays but botany doesn't

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

I dunno if there is another thread but google lens says it's an early purple or a green winged orchid, I would favour the latter because of the bulgy parts that I would know the name of if I had watched enough crime pays but botany doesn't

Does look more like an early purple orchid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchis_mascula

Edit: also had this turn up on my Google targeted:

https://www.wildartpoty.com/a-wild-read-blog/orchids-of-the-uk-early-purple-orchid

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 29, 2022

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I looked on the BSBI map https://bsbi.org/maps and there don't seem to be any green-winged orchids around here, so early-purple it is then, I think. There was no spotting on the leaves, but Wikipedia only says 'sometimes'.

Thanks!

Orchids are hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the month ended

A slightly early Eid Mubarak goons- later on my street is gonna smell fantastic :)

wanted to finish planting today but there hasn't been heavy rain for so long the surface is dried right the gently caress out already- there's rain due next week but probably not enough to resoak this to easily workable levels, so we go over to contingency planning

Potted up the unplanted remainder (apart from the blackthorn, but I separated them out more) then tidied up the nursery a bit in preparation for further works- will have to repeatedly water them and hope for the best, but everything in the centre island bit is alive, even the heather I entirely forgot I had was scraping by in the undergrowth

Lots of life in and amongst the pots

A little better now at least

Best year for wildflowers I have had so far I think

Went and passed a few words with the rudest dudes in town, they agreed that there's nowt I can do about the weather and now's the time to roll on with the summer jobs, with hope for a second planting season done in autumn. There will be more, soon!