Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This absolute unit of a garlic clove I found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I either use elephant garlic or minced jar garlic when its called for, who can be assed to peel and mince normal garlic? Just need a garlic press for Big Garlic.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I got elephant garlic one time and it seemed more akin to a turnip than garlic, even smelled really turnipy

I stole it off some dude named Jeeter so I guess I can't complain

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

I got elephant garlic one time and it seemed more akin to a turnip than garlic, even smelled really turnipy

I stole it off some dude named Jeeter so I guess I can't complain

Yeah, elephant garlic doesn't really taste like garlic. Not a fan.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah it's a while different thing and not something I have a lot of use for. I haven't tried baking it, maybe you can make really nice roasted garlic with it since you get so much?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

um excuse me posted:

Yea I either use elephant garlic or minced jar garlic when its called for, who can be assed to peel and mince normal garlic? Just need a garlic press for Big Garlic.

Sounds like you are just a stooge for Big Garlic :colbert:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This was from a normal garlic clove! All of the other cloves were fine, maybe even a bit small if anything, but then I went to break some cloves off and this entire thing came out.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 11, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you only had a potato ricer and no room for a garlic press the elephant garlic makes a compelling case for presence in your pantry this year

mystes
May 31, 2006

The elephant garlic in the pantry

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And other whimsical culinary tales

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
German Extra Hardy is a regular hardneck garlic variety with normal sized bulbs, but only about 4 bulbs in a head. They're nothing like that monster, but still way easier than dealing with a bunch of small cloves.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah it's a while different thing and not something I have a lot of use for. I haven't tried baking it, maybe you can make really nice roasted garlic with it since you get so much?

Do not eat an entire roast head of elephant garlic spread on bread. It's delicious but the gas is deadly and lasts for days. My wife and I discovered this early on when we were dating and it's still legendary between us

Verisimilidude posted:

This absolute unit of a garlic clove I found

I heard that if garlic heads are left in the ground too long all the cloves will grow together, so if it's not elephant garlic that might be what you've got there.

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 11, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Vim Fuego posted:

Do not eat an entire roast head of elephant garlic spread on bread. It's delicious but the gas is deadly and lasts for days. My wife and I discovered this early on when we were dating and it's still legendary between us

Very specifically :same: but with 100 garlic soup. To this day I can cheer her up with 3 simple emoji

🧄🍑💥

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I think I've told this story but I love it, so I'm going again. My wife's biological father loved his dad's skordalia recipe, and decided to make his own batch and go to town in it one day. He was very young and didn't know what a clove of garlic was, exactly. He took a guess and thought it was what you and I would call a bulb. Multiple bulbs in one batch of dip/spread, which he consumed over the course of an afternoon. It was delicious. He was not allowed to attend school for four days, he stank so bad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I think I've told this story but I love it, so I'm going again. My wife's biological father loved his dad's skordalia recipe, and decided to make his own batch and go to town in it one day. He was very young and didn't know what a clove of garlic was, exactly. He took a guess and thought it was what you and I would call a bulb. Multiple bulbs in one batch of dip/spread, which he consumed over the course of an afternoon. It was delicious. He was not allowed to attend school for four days, he stank so bad.
Any story where people think a clove of garlic means a whole head is cool and good

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I am a firm believer in replacing every instance of "clove" with "head" in recipes, but gently caress peeling and dicing a whole head of garlic for every meal.

So I just make several quarts of acidified garlic oil at a time. It's probably not as good as fresh, but it definitely does the job as far as I'm concerned, and it's way easier for my schedule

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 12, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

VelociBacon posted:

If you only had a potato ricer and no room for a garlic press the elephant garlic makes a compelling case for presence in your pantry this year

You won’t be laughing when the bloodsucking elephants come for you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, I feel like that would be pretty funny regardless.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Are the fangs in the trunk, or do they jab your neck with their tusks?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ah, some marketing got me. My wife was watching some cooking show with Gordon Ramesy in it and his kitchen was using HexClad. Apparently some company he endorses or owns. These expensive pans any good? Or are they just some sort of expensive social media pan?

mystes
May 31, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Ah, some marketing got me. My wife was watching some cooking show with Gordon Ramesy in it and his kitchen was using HexClad. Apparently some company he endorses or owns. These expensive pans any good? Or are they just some sort of expensive social media pan?
IIRC they're basically just normal nonstick pans with a weird pattern on them as a gimmick (and to make it harder to see that they're getting scratched up). I guess they claim that the pattern protects the teflon part but that doesn't make sense to me. Teflon is just so weak it's going to come off no matter what you do. Buy stainless and use it forever or buy a teflon pan and be prepared to replace it periodically.

I assume they're paying Gordon Ramsay a ton of money for the endorsement.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 12, 2022

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can I hijack this thread for a bit? Have you ever looked for a piece of equipment and just found a Darwin's Journal of different stuff? I went to look for a pizza cutter, but searched "pizza knife" instead.

There's the traditional wheel and rocker designs, but it goes off the rails quickly:

Naturally franchised crap comes up over and over, for when your personality is SPORTS

There's this little wheel that actually looks useful when you don't want to have one tool that only does one thing take up a shitload of room in a drawer

There's this pretty sweet looking martial arts weapon

Just further in that direction

Here's where we start going off the rails.

Have fun cleaning this loving thing

Bicycle too easy to clean? How about a motorcycle?

This thing looks useful, but why not just use a pie/cake server?

Who wants to get hurt?

Imagine going over to a friend's house where they made an awesome home made pizza just to maul it to death with shears

Who wants a slice? *grabs sledgehammer*

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wow. I have a 'round knife' for leatherworking that you should include there too!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pizza shears is pro move

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mystes posted:

IIRC they're basically just normal nonstick pans with a weird pattern on them as a gimmick (and to make it harder to see that they're getting scratched up). I guess they claim that the pattern protects the teflon part but that doesn't make sense to me. Teflon is just so weak it's going to come off no matter what you do. Buy stainless and use it forever or buy a teflon pan and be prepared to replace it periodically.

I assume they're paying Gordon Ramsay a ton of money for the endorsement.

I like my dishwasher safe ceramic. It's an As Seen on TV gimmick looking thing but I bought it on a whim because why not. It isn't as nonstick as Teflon but it's much better than stainless and on par with my carbon steel, but the right size for me eggs and dishwasher safe became much more important as my life got busier. The only issue I have is the handle is stamped / hollow metal which heats up a lot if you're doing anything longer cooking than eggs.

Blue Diamond is what I got, I'd avoid anything with texture like those granite themed ones.

um excuse me posted:

Can I hijack this thread for a bit? <snip>

Imagine going over to a friend's house where they made an awesome home made pizza just to maul it to death with shears

These are legit good, though normal kitchen shears get you 95% of the way there without taking up as much space.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's why hyper specific pizza shears ended up on my list. That and I can imagine someone handing a 400 degree pizza to get shears under it not going well

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

um excuse me posted:

There's this little wheel that actually looks useful when you don't want to have one tool that only does one thing take up a shitload of room in a drawer

I have one like this, it’s useful because the blade pops out for cleaning and it’s plastic so kids can safely use it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I just use regular scissors, they work well enough. I think they were marked as dressmakers shears and I bought them for gardening...

mystes
May 31, 2006

The russians used a chef's knife

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

No pizza bat'leth? Somebody isn't trying hard enough.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Zorak of Michigan posted:

No pizza bat'leth? Somebody isn't trying hard enough.

I have one of these:

It's honestly really great.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What’s wrong with using a regular chef’s knife

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Vegetable posted:

What’s wrong with using a regular chef’s knife

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snake Maze posted:

I have one of these:

It's honestly really great.

Didn’t one of the ninja turtles wield this thing

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Pizzaluna

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pizzalangelo?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

obi_ant posted:

The only review you need to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rkw0adIAFc

TLDR: it scratches and falls off like any other Teflon

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 13, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

The only review you need to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rkw0adIAFc

TLDR: it scratches and falls off like any other Teflon

This. For my Teflon/non stick pans are something you buy at the restaurant supply store, never use metal on (or even an aggressive sponge/scrubber like a green Scotchbrite), and still expect them to be effectively disposable after 1-3 years depending on how often you use them. Mine mostly get used for things like eggs that will stick to drat near anything else (and at ~4 years old are getting long in the tooth anyway). I haven't tried the ceramic ones like Boitano mentioned.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. For my Teflon/non stick pans are something you buy at the restaurant supply store, never use metal on (or even an aggressive sponge/scrubber like a green Scotchbrite), and still expect them to be effectively disposable after 1-3 years depending on how often you use them. Mine mostly get used for things like eggs that will stick to drat near anything else (and at ~4 years old are getting long in the tooth anyway). I haven't tried the ceramic ones like Boitano mentioned.

Same. I've never spent more than $30 on a nonstick (with one exception, a larger one for tortilla) and the second an egg sticks its in the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have one of these and I love it. Had it about 2-3 years now and it looks brand new.

https://www.all-clad.com/d5-stainless-polished-5-ply-bonded-cookware-nonstick-ultimate-egg-pan-9-inch.html