Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stink Billyums posted:

everybody in japan had flip phones that were pseudo-smart phones like 7 years before smart phones came around, so outside of otaku and tech enthusiasts they kinda skipped over home PC usage. back then a lot of websites didn't even have a desktop version, or if they did there wasn't much effort put into it as they assumed most people would be viewing the site from a phone. you can still see the legacy in ugly japanese web design today, it's highly influenced by what worked on a phone 20 years ago.

it was a weird time as japan had this insular phone based internet completely separate from what the rest of the internet was like.
Steins;Gate has the smart flip phones front and center. Kindof funny how everyone switches to smartphones by 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think half of the PS3 Yakuzas still used flip phones, too. I know 3 definitely did, probably 4 and Dead Souls also but I'm not sure about 5.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think there's also the aspect that Japanese living spaces tend to be smaller than what we're used to in the west, so a lot of households don't have space for a desktop computer unless you're a turbonerd who makes space for one.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud8wpJTmGXY

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Kild posted:

Rewatched Mugen Train but the anime version. Still good. Still powerful. Rengoku ftw

i liked the little rengoku character building episodes at the start

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm reading Fire Punch. It's cool so far.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

pentyne posted:

I read somewhere that the reason VN novels always included 1-2 hardcore sex scenes is the PC gaming market was so small that it was the easiest way to guarantee a certain minimum amount of sales to make your money back.

tbh i'm sure this was the case for some games but more and more i end up wondering if that was actually that widely the case or, people just feel a need to cover for things they like because the western internet views sexual content in japanese media in a fairly derogatory way and wouldn't be receptive to talking about using that sort of content to explore sexuality the way you'd see in vns like welcome to film house, seven days with the ghost or fate/stay night: heaven's feel

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm reading Fire Punch. It's cool so far.

post when you've finished please, don't want to risk spoiling

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Wow

marumaru
May 20, 2013

nakinyko is a global treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKjAj9Lc674

e: theres just so many really good ones

marumaru fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 12, 2022

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
its seriously really good lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kild posted:

Rewatched Mugen Train but the anime version. Still good. Still powerful. Rengoku ftw

Wait, there's a live action version?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They meant the TV anime, which recut and expanded on the movie.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

it was a movie, then in the show

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

tbh i'm sure this was the case for some games but more and more i end up wondering if that was actually that widely the case or, people just feel a need to cover for things they like because the western internet views sexual content in japanese media in a fairly derogatory way and wouldn't be receptive to talking about using that sort of content to explore sexuality the way you'd see in vns like welcome to film house, seven days with the ghost or fate/stay night: heaven's feel

when fluffdaddy finally sends me the pm im going to ban handwringing

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

the TV version adds a couple episodes to flesh out rengoku a bit more

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

saying that eroge has sex slapped in to sell isn't really accurate since older titles in the genre were very much focused on sexual content and later games that were mostly focused on plot outside of that were a distinct shift into a new subgenre, but one caused by creators who actively chose to work within that space for various reasons (largely creative freedom wrt subject matter).

so for say, TM, it's just that nasu wanted to work in the doujin and eroge spaces since he found what you could do in them compelling, and this probably has to do with the kinda stuff he always wanted to write about since KnK, Tsukihime, and FSN all deal with sexual themes as irremovable core beats. otoh working in such niche markets means that you're very much beholden to the genre expectations of your potential customers and their potential for backlash, so there's def stuff in scenario-focused games that you can argue is mostly there because of market driven expectations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

post when you've finished please, don't want to risk spoiling

I just finished it. :cheerdoge:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just finished it. :cheerdoge:

hayai
what did you think of the ending? i really liked fire punch but a lot of people hated the ending.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like it really couldn't have ended any other way tbh. I didn't mind it at all.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the ending being something hateable is odd to me, my only real complaint then was the series just feeling like it didn't cohere to a strong point as i would like

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
considering america is the inventor of the "prestige television sex scene" im just gonna call it projection on our part :cheerdoge:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i only get mad when a sex scene seems like it's purely for sales, so it's bad on prestige tv but good in romance novels

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whats the it is a car metaphor smilie code i cant find it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:iiaca:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

thank you

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
:piss:?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sex scenes own imo, I love them no matter the medium

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sex scenes are ins anely sexy and also reference an important part of most peoples lives

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
i could do without reading nasu's sex scenes ever again i think

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's important to take a poo poo every day but that doesn't mean I have to see it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Don’t check your pms

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kirbysuperstar posted:

i could do without reading nasu's sex scenes ever again i think

They are treasures.

Awful, terrible treasures.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Namtab posted:

Don’t check your bms

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SEX!!!!!!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

SEX!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHmFbT8DPX8

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a couple of cuckoos is currently up to like, a love septagon at this point. but the oneshot did advertise this as the shoujo with the world's dumbest premise or something like that, and so far it's delivered lol.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Loid Forger and Yor Briar are pro-tier Japanese Dude Tries to Invent Western-sounding Names names. I especially like Yor Briar because it reminds of one of the all-time great bad movies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Loid Forger and Yor Briar are pro-tier Japanese Dude Tries to Invent Western-sounding Names names. I especially like Yor Briar because it reminds of one of the all-time great bad movies.

I originally had the name as Lloyd Folger until the company told me to knock it off. Although apparently a 'loid' is a way of opening locked doors and 'forger' can obviously refer to the fact that he's forged all his documents. So I've come around to the idea that his name is supposed to be Lockpick McFakename.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just binged through all of Ranking of Kings. I was pretty positive on the show as a whole, I think the pacing got away from it a bit, but there are some real shining moments and characters. I hope they make more because it seems like they really set it up to lean into the elements that made it great going foward.