Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Raised By Birds posted:

Bob Gorrell

Gorrell discovers The One Joke.

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBT+)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Raised By Birds posted:

Tony Branco Double Feature

So you agree: No more dark money?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

VitalSigns posted:

Oh my god a cartoonist got a "little Dutch boy holding his finger in the dam" metaphor right I never thought I'd see the day

Shame his art still looks like rear end

Still made them the villains, though, so the Robin Hood/Santa Claus Were The Bad Guys Effect remains in place, at least.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

What the gently caress is this?

The Southern Border clearly isn't doing anything to keep immigrants out so ending Title 42 won't really do any damage. Not really AGC (since the idea is still "it's good to keep out immigrants") but it's still also kind of the opposite of what Branco is trying to say.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Look at that outline on Carmen, goddamn.

Kellies nomination: Laziest cartoon
Kellies nomination: Worst cartoon about Ukraine

Raised By Birds posted:

Most of what I put up I grab from Gocomics.com, but when I went to get yesterday's toons last night... nothing was showing up.
Oh, that happened to me today when trying to read some daily comics. When I disabled uBlock Origin for the page, the comics were showing up again, but just confirmed that they're still gone if I enable it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Pants Donkey posted:

Stiglich really likes portraying his enemies with giant hook noses coming out of their masks

For the record, Jim Kenney really does have a distinctive hook nose. He is also not Jewish as far as I know:

But this in no way absolves Stiglitch and does not mean he's not an Anti-Semite, you do not under any cirumstances gotta hand it to em.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Macron’s battle with the forces of nationalism – The French president is only slightly ahead of the far-right Marine Le Pen in early second round polling"

Telegraph:

Boris Johnson gives green light for investigation into Rishi Sunak's finances

Matt:

Independent:

Marine Le Pen’s far-right party orders 1.2 million election leaflets showing her with Putin to be ‘binned’

Times:

Evening Standard:

Manic Monday: Easter holidaymakers face cancelled flights, three-hour baggage waits and delayed ferries

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Oh my god a cartoonist got a "little Dutch boy holding his finger in the dam" metaphor right I never thought I'd see the day

Shame his art still looks like rear end
I don't know, it lacks the important messaging of the metaphor's aftermath.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

I could not resist the pun, for I am weak.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

So you agree: No more dark money?

It's not "dark money" if it supports Republicans.

Anyway, this cartoon is an example of the right appropriating an issue that originated on the left (i.e., banning or forcing the disclosure of dark money sources as a part of campaign finance reform) and then extensively using it against them so the public will see it as a conservative issue. When that happens, liberals will shy away from the issue and no longer discuss it which is the Republicans' main goal.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I can't leave well enough alone, so despite this being a straight forward AGC, I'm going to analyze it.

This is a date. They're having a date. So the most likely case is the man is, single, and adult, has no kids, clearly didn't go to the movie with his date (who had no idea the movie existed) and thus went to a Disney movie alone, but also didn't like it. At which point, you can leave, just walk away, my dude, hit the bricks.

The correct way to start this topic during a date is "Have you seen the newest Disney movie?" (She hasn't. She didn't know it existed.) then you can segue into an appropriate avenue of conversation based on your date's response. Unless the purpose of your statement is not to start a conversation, but to instead virtue signal that you believe the "correct" thing abut the Disney movie. Which is to say that, he is virtue signalling that he is a bigot.

In conclusion,
Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

e: changed nomination

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 12, 2022

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Macron’s battle with the forces of nationalism – The French president is only slightly ahead of the far-right Marine Le Pen in early second round polling"
I thought that brown lump in the bottom left corner was supposed to be a pile of poo, it took me a while to realize it's Trump

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope 1:

Scott Morrison on how elections are not a popularity test, "You go to the dentist, doesn't matter whether you like him or not, like her or not, but you want to know that they’re good at their job. And that’s what this is about."
The IPCC report on climate change says Australia will not meet its targets but this barely rates a blip in the campaign so far:
Latest IPCC report offers key lessons for Australia but is anyone listening? (Guardian).

Pope 2:

I don't know if these were published but David Pope is tweeting out cartoons of scandals which the majority of the media have decided aren't important in this election. This one is "Robodebt", where the government sent out automatic demands to welfare recipients to repay their benefits which they did not need to do, drove some people to suicide, was later found to be unlawful and faced a huge compensation payout, and which no politician faced any repercussions.

Rowe:

Anthony Albanese quotes Taylor Swift "shake it off" about his gaffe in forgetting the unemployment rate.

Shakespeare:

Badicuao:

Knight:

In non-federal election news (at least yet): Gillon McLachlan announces he is stepping down as AFL chief executive at end of 2022 season (ABC).

Spooner:

Six whole weeks of this. :smith:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Catellite posted:

I could not resist the pun, for I am weak.

Ah, wow, how'd you get a car?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

DalaranJ posted:

Which is to say that, he is virtue signalling that he is a bigot.
I just call it "vice signalling" at this point

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

:australia:
Spooner:

Six whole weeks of this. :smith:
How is there a single loving person left on the loving planet conscious enough to put pen to paper that can loving unifuckingronically think this loving way loving gently caress

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Brainworms hall of famer this one :allears:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kellies nomination: Worst Caricature

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So we're back to this. But, in many ways, we never really left this kind of early 2000's homophobia/transphobia "think of the children" fear mongering did we?

The history of bigotry is a flat circle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The "groomer" thing has really taken hold with the deplorables hasn't it?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Twelve by Pies posted:

What the gently caress is this?

Putin, trump and candidates he endorses are all real numbers. A Bad Proof, F- see me after class

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So we're back to this. But, in many ways, we never really left this kind of early 2000's homophobia/transphobia "think of the children" fear mongering did we?

The history of bigotry is a flat circle.

This is a much wider net. There are guys on Fox ranting about basically all teachers are pedophiles, otherwise why would they go into the profession?

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

Oh, that happened to me today when trying to read some daily comics. When I disabled uBlock Origin for the page, the comics were showing up again, but just confirmed that they're still gone if I enable it.

Yeah, same here. I checked, and the contents of the <image> tag change whether I have uBlock active. Guessing it's some anti-adblocker stuff. Unless it's uBlock being overzealous, since it doesn't seem to affect the browser I use on my phone. Just makes the process more of a nuisance, since I can't rely on the "updated today" tag they use since they'll sometimes upload comics a day after and backdate them. Happens quite often with Payne, for some reason.

Clay Bennett

Tim Campbell

Jeff Danziger

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Jack Ohman

Henry Payne

Joel Pett

Michael Ramirez

Again with the hammer and sickle. Is this some "bad thing = communism" stuff? They haven't been the USSR in decades.

Rob Rogers

Jen Sorensen

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

Gary Varvel

Tony Branco

quote:

He Has Risen: Jesus was crucified on the cross and on the third day he rose to defeat death.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It really bugs me that people act like the 1040 is the difficult/frustrating part of paying taxes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

As someone who caught COVID on a plane last week because of fuckers not wearing their masks right and/or taking them off.. gently caress you. gently caress you very much.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao

Why am I not surprised that Branco has an incredibly basic, childlike understanding of his own faith?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

You know, I have a really clear memory of a math test when I was fifteen. Trigonometry. The word problems the teacher wrote, in order to mix it up from the usual trig questions of "how tall is this tree," involved one question working out the distance between two students who were meeting in the bushes in the empty lot near the school for Unspecified Reasons, and for another question the distance between a woman in a hot air balloon and a young man sunbathing naked that she was spying on.

But they were straight couples so no one cared.

(we were all suitably entertained, though, which was the point)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jesus really being rude to Death

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBT+)

We're going to get a shitload like these, aren't we?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Again with the hammer and sickle. Is this some "bad thing = communism" stuff? They haven't been the USSR in decades.

I mean, Putin is famously an ex-KGB thug, which is a pretty USSR thing to be. Not that I think for a minute that's what Ol' Mikey is going for but, y'know.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

After The War posted:

This is a much wider net. There are guys on Fox ranting about basically all teachers are pedophiles, otherwise why would they go into the profession?
Especially male teachers, because men are predators, which is fine when a male predator says it but horrible misandry when a feminist says it.

Then they're going to lean fully into "white boys are being left behind at school because teaching is female dominated and PC" again without any self awareness within the next 3-5 year cycle of this poo poo.

Fister Roboto posted:

Why am I not surprised that Branco has an incredibly basic, childlike understanding of his own faith?
Jesus beat the Grim Reaper at Twister and then a few years later he came back and stopped bullets with his mind. Read your Bible.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: The Real Question

Ted Rall posted:

Regardless of how you feel about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the fact that Congress quickly allocated $13.5 billion for military aid to a country which is not even an American ally while over half a million Americans are sleeping outside should make us reconsider our national priorities.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: The Real Question

Hey Google, what is whataboutism?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ted already covered that. It's when you're drinking with Hitler or something.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Kikas posted:

Hey Google, what is whataboutism?

Whataboutism isn't just when you compare two different things, it's specifically pointing out someone else's hypocrisy over your own. Unless you think Ted Rall is also spending 13bil on weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

Whataboutism isn't just when you compare two different things, it's specifically pointing out someone else's hypocrisy over your own. Unless you think Ted Rall is also spending 13bil on weapons.

I always figured that it was going "but let's not talk about Bad Thing A, what about Bad Thing B?" with the intent to stop Bad Thing A from improving. You always learn.