Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
pizza parking is right there bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
You can buy a calculator app

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://kidscreen.com/2021/06/21/cyber-group-lines-up-final-fantasy-ix-series/

It's being developed for a young audience. Which is fine. The game's basically a fairy tale.

Oh hell yeah.

I'm not expecting Arcane levels of actually being good, but I love the design and look of FF9s world so I'm absolutely a mark to force my kids to watch this (if it actually comes out).

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Manifold Garden

tuo posted:

It might not be a puzzle game per se, but since it‘s completely deterministic, and thus it‘s actually a puzzle to solve with no RNG, have you ever played Into the Breach?

Snake Maze posted:

A Monster’s Expedition is a really great puzzle game about exploring a chain of islands (by pushing and rolling logs to make bridges, naturally). It’s one of those ones where you could sum up all the rules in a paragraph, but there’s enough depth and variation to keep things fresh the whole way through. The puzzle design is really solid, it has baba style turn-by-turn undo, and it has some nice aesthetics and chill vibes. I definitely recommend it if you liked Baba and The Witness.

endocriminologist posted:

A monsters expedition is a chill time!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Ace attorney

Colorspray posted:

a little late, but wanted to throw Tunic out there. Not on Switch, but it's on PC gamepass and sounds like what you're looking for.

Thanks everyone, think I'm going to grab Manifold Garden and maybe Into the Breach. But I'll keep the other listed for when I'm for with those!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hatty posted:

Wonder when Nintendo will release Advance Wars. The war doesn’t seem to be ending anytime soon but it seems the general public is mostly over it based on what people at work say

Unless you work in a warehouse or service job, you dont work with the general public

The general public didnt give a poo poo from the start

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

American McGay posted:

Kirby was really loving good. I'll probably skip Switch Sports cause it seems laughably thin even for a "budget" title. I'm hyped as hell for Strikers and Splatoon 3 though. I don't really need many more games than that.

Even though it’s a budget title, Switch Sports seems kind of thin with five six games (can’t get that excited about tennis AND badminton personally). Golf somewhere down the road apparently.

Most of the games are refined versions of games from Wii Sports/Resort. Looks fun but since they’re basically polishing up older games it’s a bit underwhelming.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

mandatory lesbian posted:

Unless you work in a warehouse or service job, you dont work with the general public

The general public didnt give a poo poo from the start

I work in a liquor store and people asked if we were going to keep selling Russian vodka for almost 4 days which is an impressive level of focus tbh

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

hatty posted:

Wonder when Nintendo will release Advance Wars. The war doesn’t seem to be ending anytime soon but it seems the general public is mostly over it based on what people at work say

There's rumours floating about that America is getting it "Soon" (The rumour I've seen is that there's promo packages ready to go and they're just waiting for the right moment) and Europe will get it at the arse end of the year / into '23.

Now, that would be thunderously stupid but History has been repeating with this stupid game so them staggering a release of a game on a region free console would just be doing the exceedingly frustrating motions at this point.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Is anybody playing 13 Sentinels Anime Time? It sounded interesting

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

ConanThe3rd posted:

There's rumours floating about that America is getting it "Soon" (The rumour I've seen is that there's promo packages ready to go and they're just waiting for the right moment) and Europe will get it at the arse end of the year / into '23.

Now, that would be thunderously stupid but History has been repeating with this stupid game so them staggering a release of a game on a region free console would just be doing the exceedingly frustrating motions at this point.

Advance Wars will release when world peace is declared which should be any day now

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I don't know about the switch port but 13 Sentinels is one of the best games ever made and everyone should play it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

cohsae posted:

Advance Wars will release when world peace is declared which should be any day now

Really, the only thing stopping this from being a slam dunk of misery is FE Warriors 2 taking its lunch and for no one to buy it once preorders go back up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here me out. Kirby Warriors.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

cohsae posted:

By all accounts it's a really good port of a game that I personally disliked but is generally regarded as a very good adventure game/RTS hybrid. The story is bonkers as poo poo though.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

cohsae posted:

yeah i picked it up, i'm like 2 hours in but so far the port is basically perfect. the menus and buttons feel snappy, it looks really good, runs well, good loading times, etc. just feels nice to play.

seems like the devs were not lazy this time.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

An Actual Princess posted:

I don't know about the switch port but 13 Sentinels is one of the best games ever made and everyone should play it

I played about 30 minutes and it's really nice. A little like "what if Persona 4 was Evangelion" but with incredible visuals

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah i picked it up, i'm like 2 hours in but so far the port is basically perfect. the menus and buttons feel snappy, it looks really good, runs well, good loading times, etc. just feels nice to play.

seems like the devs were not lazy this time.

The later missions will be the real tell, because (unless they got patched at some point) they could get real chuggy due to the sheer number of units onscreen simultaneously in the PS4 version.

Also 13 Sentinels is real loving good in general and well worth playing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's gonna be a general FF9 revival soon. This remake, whatever form it takes, is also going to have an animated series to go with it that they announced sometime last year.

The very idea of a FF9-remake has me stumped, tbqh. FF9 was already the perfect game, so what would a remake possibly bring to the table? I remain skeptical. It'll probably a travesty like the FF7-remake, which changed the game to an Action RPG so hard, it left me out cold.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The later missions will be the real tell, because (unless they got patched at some point) they could get real chuggy due to the sheer number of units onscreen simultaneously in the PS4 version.

It started life as Vita game, it was always supposed to chug in the big battles.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Libluini posted:

The very idea of a FF9-remake has me stumped, tbqh. FF9 was already the perfect game, so what would a remake possibly bring to the table? I remain skeptical. It'll probably a travesty like the FF7-remake, which changed the game to an Action RPG so hard, it left me out cold.

If nothing else, the original pre-rendered backgrounds/cutscenes look like rear end on HD displays and I think the original assets were lost

Keeping the original style but rebuilding the environments in real-time 3D would go a long way

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

If nothing else, the original pre-rendered backgrounds/cutscenes look like rear end on HD displays and I think the original assets were lost

Keeping the original style but rebuilding the environments in real-time 3D would go a long way

A remake that actually remakes the original would be neat, not gonna lie. But after the disappointment of the FF7-remake, I'm utterly cynical about this. I'd say chances are 50/50 the FF9-remake will be another action RPG or an RTS. :colbert:

If Square Enix actually manages to not gently caress this up, I'll be honestly impressed and surprised

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If they remake it gonna be an action rpg like FF7R, which is good because FF7R is good.

FF9 has like the most boring version of FF combat too so it should be the first thing they get rid of.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

If they remake it gonna be an action rpg like FF7R, which is good because FF7R is good.

I'd like those weird experiments a lot more if they wouldn't claim they're remakes. From my viewpoint, FF7R isn't a remake, it's an alternative take of FF7 in a different subgenre. Like, if they actually made a FF7-RTS, I'd be fascinated, but I wouldn't call that one a "remake", either.

Right now though the situation is: If Square Enix wants to extract money from me, they actually have to make something I'd want to buy. Which is why I bought e.g. Legend of Mana, the Mana Collection and a lot of other assorted SE-crap for my Switch. What I won't buy is a remake that isn't even in the same genre. If I want to play FF7, I'll just play FF7, thanks SE, but no thanks.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
tbh your position with all companies should be that you only buy the stuff they make that you want to buy

if this restaurant wants my hard earned cash they drat well better serve food I eat

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Speaking of Vanillaware games:

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1514115021541974022

Hope this is on track for localization down the line, I remember a friend playing it and it looked sick.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't care about changes in the FF9 remake as long as they have that learn-skills-from-ewuipment thing. I love that poo poo for some reason, makes something in my brain go 'hmm yess get the skills on all of it'

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/5wayshot/status/1512752713116827652?s=20&t=EdvJteJP6_BWfBLPfOcl-w

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Libluini posted:

I'd like those weird experiments a lot more if they wouldn't claim they're remakes. From my viewpoint, FF7R isn't a remake, it's an alternative take of FF7 in a different subgenre. Like, if they actually made a FF7-RTS, I'd be fascinated, but I wouldn't call that one a "remake", either.

Right now though the situation is: If Square Enix wants to extract money from me, they actually have to make something I'd want to buy. Which is why I bought e.g. Legend of Mana, the Mana Collection and a lot of other assorted SE-crap for my Switch. What I won't buy is a remake that isn't even in the same genre. If I want to play FF7, I'll just play FF7, thanks SE, but no thanks.
On the flip side of that coin, if I want to play FF7-rear end FF7, I can still do just that, the existence of the Remake didn't delete the data off my PlayStation discs or my Switch. The Remake, at least for me, was an interesting experiment that has its ups and downs and was all in all worth the trip imo. Not that I'm opposed to a straight remake, but I think it's cool they tried something new.

Morpheus posted:

I don't care about changes in the FF9 remake as long as they have that learn-skills-from-ewuipment thing. I love that poo poo for some reason, makes something in my brain go 'hmm yess get the skills on all of it'
I feel like they already have the basis for that worked out with the FF7 Remake, you learned limit breaks and bought passive stat boosts off weapons in that game IIRC.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've gone wholly digital since the pandemic, so I may not be too up to date on this stuff, but how do Switch games these days taste?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

On the flip side of that coin, if I want to play FF7-rear end FF7, I can still do just that, the existence of the Remake didn't delete the data off my PlayStation discs or my Switch. The Remake, at least for me, was an interesting experiment that has its ups and downs and was all in all worth the trip imo. Not that I'm opposed to a straight remake, but I think it's cool they tried something new.

Honestly it's pretty cool to me that Square Enix put two different kinds of remakes out in the same month. The Trials of Mana remake was very accurate to the original game outside of being in full 3d, then FF7R just went in its own wild direction.

For something like FF7 tho I'm inclined to agree, the original game is great and is accessible on every platform out there so why not go hog wild with something different. I don't feel a faithful remake that plays the same and has the same script would really have the pizzazz I'd want (really the main things I'd want out of a faithful remake would primarily be a new translation and some QoL changes, which could be done with a mere remaster).

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Libluini posted:

FFVII Remake is pretty clearly a new game titled FFVII Remake, not "a remake of FFVII". It's explicitly in conversation with the original and seems to be some kind of sequel and/or parallel side-quel (which will I guess be made more clear if the other parts ever get made). To be fair the name doesn't do itself any favors.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Oh wow I hated that in 9. It’s not a bad idea in itself but with that slow as poo poo gameplay it was awful.

I want FF6 remade. Give it to us in 3D and with more complex combat. drat it!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

i'm enjoying it a lot. it's like one of my japanese animes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm still making my way through the Switch drip of old-rear end video games everyone's mentioned but I never really knew. Somehow no one ever told me the thing that happens like mid-way through Chrono Cross and I got to be floored by it 20 years later.

gonna play Elden Ring and Assassin's Creed 10 on the New Hip Nintendo Console like a decade from now and it's gonna rule

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh wow I hated that in 9. It’s not a bad idea in itself but with that slow as poo poo gameplay it was awful.

I'm with you, I hate learning abilities from equipment because Steiner leaves your party pretty early on in 9 so you have to pick your poison of either grinding like poo poo to make sure you learn everything you can before he leaves, or not grind and have to equip him with weak rear end weapons to learn all the abilities you didn't get.

It's dumb. It's also dumb because some equipment is permanently missable in FF9 so if you didn't carry around a bunch of Silk Shirts from disc 1 until the final boss then gently caress you, you don't get the best gear since now all the places that sell them are inaccessible!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's dumb. It's also dumb because some equipment is permanently missable in FF9 so if you didn't carry around a bunch of Silk Shirts from disc 1 until the final boss then gently caress you, you don't get the best gear since now all the places that sell them are inaccessible!

This right here is exactly why I don't like certain RPGs. How are you supposed to know any of that without a strategy guide you have to keep checking instead of just enjoying the game?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
FF9 is one of the easier FF games so you don't need to know any of that to beat it

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 had what might've been the worst multiplayer setup I've ever seen in a game.

Yeah getting a group together was dumb as hell but the actual dungeons were fun

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Sudden Javelin posted:

FF9 is one of the easier FF games so you don't need to know any of that to beat it

Yeah it's pretty straightforward and the ability system isn't really that deep. Unless you are trying to fight Ozma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Problem with FF9 is the battle system is slow and boring, you can fast forward in the remaster but I’d rather play something with a good system at that point