Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gladiator is a movie that was a very very big deal at its time but looking back on it I don’t know why
Were you not entertained? Is that not why you were there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Paper Tiger posted:

My first thought was that Gladiator was a big deal in part because of its Super Bowl ad, but I looked it up to refresh my memory and, well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICf1V6UOsmk

Bawitdaba was everywhere back in those days

The first teaser trailer for The Matrix aired during the 1999 Super Bowl, and they hosed up the timing on the commercial break to the point that when they cut back from the trailer it was the middle of a touchdown play.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alaois posted:

they were trying to get him to recast Gene Wilder in Blazing Saddles. he told them he would do that and then didn't and the producer who told him to do it never said anything.

Lucasfilm fired the comedy directors they hired to make solo because they made it too funny.

Producers are weird and not all the same.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CelticPredator posted:

Lucasfilm fired the comedy directors they hired to make solo because they made it too funny.

Producers are weird and not all the same.

We could have had Space Ventura: Fett Detective.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CJacobs posted:

Oh, man! This just unlocked a memory that my brain had totally eclipsed because of the unfairness of being a child associated! When I was younger I actually managed to spot a forged map in a school textbook, the way real encyclopedias used to be made plagarism-proof by intentionally containing false information. The idea being that the incorrect information also will be there, as the plagiarist won't know it's incorrect. I remember the textbook was new and this was before the internet really had taken off in learning spaces so my kid theory was that the people who put it together took a PHOTO of a forged map to avoid paying. I pointed it out to my teacher because I was legitimately curious as to why it was wrong, and she said it was right and that I shouldn't question textbooks because they're proofread or something like that. I remember I wanted to come back with something like yeah but do they check the illustrations but I did not want to get in trouble so I went back to my desk and accepted that some island off of Africa or something isn't where every other map says it is.

It turned out my teacher didn't know about fictitious entries, which are genuinely real and still used as recently as this decade to spot people who steal copyrights in places like Dubai or countries with otherwise 'closed circuit' internet where such a thing would be easy to get away with because the people looking for plagiarists don't access those domains much.

edit: For reference there were other maps in the room. it was a class based around learning the earth and what's on it. so like i totally get now as an adult that the teacher almost certainly was exhausted and overworked and just wanted me to not ask her that question in like 1998 when the entire internet wasn't right next to her at her desk.

Counterpoint: teachers who argue from authority, and especially authority delegated to textbooks supplied by the lowest bidder who can conform to the most conservative content panels in Texas, suck a lot, and ruin children's relationship to knowledge and the world around them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

christmas boots posted:

We could have had Space Ventura: Fett Detective.

I don’t buy that hit piece at all. They threw their lead actor under the bus for no reason.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Oh, man! This just unlocked a memory that my brain had totally eclipsed because of the unfairness of being a child associated! When I was younger I actually managed to spot a forged map in a school textbook, the way real encyclopedias used to be made plagarism-proof by intentionally containing false information. The idea being that the incorrect information also will be there, as the plagiarist won't know it's incorrect. I remember the textbook was new and this was before the internet really had taken off in learning spaces so my kid theory was that the people who put it together took a PHOTO of a forged map to avoid paying. I pointed it out to my teacher because I was legitimately curious as to why it was wrong, and she said it was right and that I shouldn't question textbooks because they're proofread or something like that. I remember I wanted to come back with something like yeah but do they check the illustrations but I did not want to get in trouble so I went back to my desk and accepted that some island off of Africa or something isn't where every other map says it is.

It turned out my teacher didn't know about fictitious entries, which are genuinely real and still used as recently as this decade to spot people who steal copyrights in places like Dubai or countries with otherwise 'closed circuit' internet where such a thing would be easy to get away with because the people looking for plagiarists don't access those domains much.

edit: For reference there were other maps in the room. it was a class based around learning the earth and what's on it. so like i totally get now as an adult that the teacher almost certainly was exhausted and overworked and just wanted me to not ask her that question in like 1998 when the entire internet wasn't right next to her at her desk.

The good teachers are the ones who get excited about stuff like that and want to help solve the puzzle.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

This reminds me of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck shopping Good Will Hunting around and they put a really out of place blowjob scene in the middle to see which producers actually read the script.

The attentive and well-rounded producer who actually caught it?

Harvey Weinstein

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh I don't think he's making schlock for the cash, I think occasionally he just completely misses the mark. Prometheus/Alien Covenant and Exodus are his exact kind of movie, and had a lot of effort and creativity put into them, they were just bad. And then there's A Good Year, which is so bizarrely outside his oeuvre, and from what I can tell was just because he thought it would be fun to try and make a rom-com.

Can't blame a guy for wanting to branch out.

Cleretic posted:

Semi-famously, this was also the way that Team America handled the censors. The 'dummy sketch' was the sex scene; they made the first cut of the sex scene as bad as they could, and every time it got rejected, they'd only cut from the sex scene.

I'm told with the South Park movie, every time the censors complained about something, they made it twice as bad and ten times as long, and that got approved. Possibly because the censors were afraid of what they'd do next.

Also Unclefucker was originally Motherfucker, but the former both got censor approval and flows much better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really adore his alien prequels a lot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: teachers who argue from authority, and especially authority delegated to textbooks supplied by the lowest bidder who can conform to the most conservative content panels in Texas, suck a lot, and ruin children's relationship to knowledge and the world around them.

I AM GRANDO posted:

The good teachers are the ones who get excited about stuff like that and want to help solve the puzzle.

Well yeah no poo poo, I wasn't saying the teacher was correct to be dismissive of me

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Wait so which is the "good" cut of blade runner. I only saw the original.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The Final Cut is the best imo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Volcott posted:

Wait so which is the "good" cut of blade runner.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Paper Tiger posted:

My first thought was that Gladiator was a big deal in part because of its Super Bowl ad, but I looked it up to refresh my memory and, well:

The audio encoding on this clip is pure waiting for RealPlayer to buffer over 56k. :allears:

(On the awful off-peak hours plan that your parents signed up to because it was cheap and then weren't very impressed with this "internet" thing)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CJacobs posted:

Looking at a map of Africa reminded me of exactly what the mistake was- Zanzibar was labeled wrong, which I knew was a real place because I'd played Metal Gear which features Zanzibar Island and its very real poisonous hamsters
No no no, Zanzibarland. Which is located in "Central Asia, located between the former Soviet Union, China, Pakistan, and Afghanistan.[3]" acording to the Metal Gear wiki.

child you was right for the wrong reasons :goonsay:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No no no, Zanzibarland. Which is located in "Central Asia, located between the former Soviet Union, China, Pakistan, and Afghanistan.[3]" acording to the Metal Gear wiki.

Iirc MGS3 is set in what will become Zanzibarland.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

I'll say this, for anyone and everyone who's ever made their money from working in media production like that, Micheal Caine had the best line about the quality of the final product.

Can't fault Scott for making some schlock to get paid $$$ and time from time use his influence to do his passion/dream projects and fight the studio over literally everything he wants.

Micheal Bay I think can be agreed is a trash director who's movies aged immediately and also the awareness he was gross as gently caress to all the hot young actresses he would hire to dress in super revealing casual outfits. I don't there's a single Micheal Bay movie post 90s that wasn't either just repeating the same poo poo he started with or a shameless franchise cash in with no effort or care.

Armageddon even aged like milk, the idea a bunch of blue collar roughnecks could outsmart the entirety of NASA. Ben Affleck who was called out for being dumb as poo poo with a lot of his ideas for Daredevil had a story where he called Bay during shooting as the whole thing making no sense and was yelled at to shut his mouth.

counterpoint: pain & gain is one of the best movies ever made. it's like Michael Bay made a Coen brothers movie but he has real affection for the idiots doing the heist instead of "writing a character for Brad pitt"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can't blame a guy for wanting to branch out.

I'm told with the South Park movie, every time the censors complained about something, they made it twice as bad and ten times as long, and that got approved. Possibly because the censors were afraid of what they'd do next.

Also Unclefucker was originally Motherfucker, but the former both got censor approval and flows much better.

Originally they wanted to call the South Park movie "All Hell Breaks Loose" but were told they couldn't have hell in the name. So they changed it to a dick joke and that was somehow okay.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Counter-counterpoint: A lot of public education isn't really about knowledge. Curious, intelligent people make bad wage slaves who ask too many questions and get in management's way. The problem of lovely working-class education will never be solved because being lovely is the entire point. :capitalism:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vitruvian Manic posted:

counterpoint: pain & gain is one of the best movies ever made. it's like Michael Bay made a Coen brothers movie but he has real affection for the idiots doing the heist instead of "writing a character for Brad pitt"

Counterpoint: It's not even Bay's best movie and every character is completely unsympathetic, even the victim who pretty much deserved every bad thing that happened to him according to the movie. The Rock seems like he's having a fun time though.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: It's not even Bay's best movie and every character is completely unsympathetic, even the victim who pretty much deserved every bad thing that happened to him according to the movie. The Rock seems like he's having a fun time though.

IIRC the numerous people involved in the story or related to victims IRL were very upset at the movie for turning the murders, kidnappings, and other criminal behavior of a full-out gang into the comedic shenanigans of a few bumbling idiots, all while portraying many of the victims as less sympathetic than the gang.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Counterpoint: giving children wrong information is funny and cool, and should be done at every opportunity to the great expense of society at large

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

You can tell a world map is fake when it has the fictional country of "New Zealand" on it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nottherealaborn posted:

IIRC the numerous people involved in the story or related to victims IRL were very upset at the movie for turning the murders, kidnappings, and other criminal behavior of a full-out gang into the comedic shenanigans of a few bumbling idiots, all while portraying many of the victims as less sympathetic than the gang.

Also, if your movie is going to have a lot of dick jokes they should at least be funny.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alhazred posted:

I do often worry that the rock is not having enough fun times.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I do often worry that the rock is not having enough fun times.

Funny enough, The Rock is also Michael Bay's best movie.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
e;ignore me

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You can tell a world map is fake when it has the fictional country of "New Zealand" on it

It's such an obvious trap I'm surprised so many people fall for it. I mean, you know there's not a Zealand, why would you accept the existence of a New Zealand?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

pentyne posted:

Micheal Bay I think can be agreed is a trash director who's movies aged immediately and also the awareness he was gross as gently caress to all the hot young actresses he would hire to dress in super revealing casual outfits. I don't there's a single Micheal Bay movie post 90s that wasn't either just repeating the same poo poo he started with or a shameless franchise cash in with no effort or care.

Armageddon even aged like milk, the idea a bunch of blue collar roughnecks could outsmart the entirety of NASA. Ben Affleck who was called out for being dumb as poo poo with a lot of his ideas for Daredevil had a story where he called Bay during shooting as the whole thing making no sense and was yelled at to shut his mouth.

Bay is horrible and Pearl Harbor was a massive stealth remake of Wings that managed to make a weak story even worse.

And yet, I loving love Pain & Gain. Bay's hyperbolic, ubermacho poo poo becomes hilarious when it is used to show how these losers with their inflated ego's see the world.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

It's such an obvious trap I'm surprised so many people fall for it. I mean, you know there's not a Zealand, why would you accept the existence of a New Zealand?

Zealand is in the Netherlands.

Tasmania is the fake island.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Makes sense, like, am I really supposed to believe The Devil lives there?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It's actually Newsie-Land

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well that's extra!

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Ridley Scott is great and Legend is extremely underrated imo

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

Makes sense, like, am I really supposed to believe The Devil lives there?

Well, obviously the Tasmanian Devil does. I'm not sure how temptation and sin works in the US, but here it's clearly a function of state government.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Bay is horrible and Pearl Harbor was a massive stealth remake of Wings

And it didn't even have Tony Shalhoub in it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo the ingame Zanzibar land isn't in Africa?? I knew those poisonous hamsters couldn't be native.

Man I'm a huge fan of the series and I don't know how I missed that, cool correction. I guess I just assumed the older games took place in real locations because the latter games do! I was like ah yes, MGS takes place in Alaska, therefore the old 2d game must take place in the only place on earth also called zanzibar!

Uh but nope. I got Kojima'd.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Apr 13, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Paper Tiger posted:

man, this is so weird..

not for the obvious reasons. what i mean is, everything about it seems to encapsulate the late 90s style of movie trailers and yet at the same time somehow still feels out of place. it seems simultaneously fake AND authentic.

CJacobs posted:

edit: See all the folks re-examining Xena to find even more homoerotic subtext only to discover that oh don't worry it was there the whole time and they did it on purpose, but it'd ruin the television historical reason for doing so for the showrunners to say so.

this actually reminded me of the very first scene that showed really overt signs of lesbianism. in one episode xena is dead (this would be the first of many instances), and she takes over autolycus' body so that she could relay the message to gabrielle. when this happens, the two are speaking, xena appears as she was, and she gives gabrielle instructions on how to bring her back to life. they have a heartfelt moment and xena leans in to kiss gabby and right before their lips lock, it cuts back to the real word and autolycus is kissing gabby because of course you can't show that kind of stuff on a family show!

so three things:

1. yeah the lesbian stuff was pretty loving overt. and quite early on too!
2. autolycus making out with gabby, who was like 18/19 during that time creeped me out as a kid and moreso now (and maybe technically would be just as bad if xena kissed her)
3. sadly i heard gabby went the way of jerkules and is a major MAGA chuddette now :smith:

Mr Interweb has a new favorite as of 08:40 on Apr 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is no funnier term to me in the comic book world than Gal Pal purely for the massive swinging wrecking ball weight that phrase carries