Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

finally the game tied for best all time metacritic user score is getting the recognition it deserves

https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1514114887668191235?t=U3E_xusYy5TKo-x2_gGlFw&s=19

Good start, hopefully it leads to Switch ports of Odin Sphere Leifthrasir and Dragon's Crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

finally the game tied for best all time metacritic user score is getting the recognition it deserves

https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1514114887668191235?t=U3E_xusYy5TKo-x2_gGlFw&s=19

oh gently caress yeah

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
vanillaware can keep rereleasing everything they've made forever as far as I'm concerned

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is this a Shenmue 2 situation where yall just partially played this and have fond memories of it?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Vanillaware make interesting games and their re-releases have tended to have thoughtful changes/additions that make them better games in the process. I haven't played it but I'm excited to.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Infinitum posted:

Is this a Shenmue 2 situation where yall just partially played this and have fond memories of it?

I play it again every 4 or 5 years and it kicks rear end every time

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Infinitum posted:

Only celeb death that bummed me right out was Robin Williams. :smith:

https://i.imgur.com/lcIvqYR.mp4

Oh.. yeah. that was just instant. I still teared up at this commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09wBn4ux3N0

also 2nd on Vanillaware games. They kick drat rear end.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I just binge watched the series Severance and I give it a very strong recommendation. It's the most enjoyable new show I watched this year. Every actor was outstanding in their role, it's visually striking, and has a compelling and creepy plot.

It has substantial aesthetic and thematic overlap with The Stanley Parable and Control. It does its own very creative things but if you dig those games I think you'll like the show too. It takes place in 1970's looking brutalist office sci-fi dystopia where something is deeply wrong. Definitely has shades of The Oldest House.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinitum posted:

It's a Shenmue 2 situation where I've played it multiple times including only a couple of years ago yeah

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Vanillaware should port all of their games to pc so I can play them

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

FirstAidKite posted:

Vanillaware should port all of their games to pc so I can play them

Sounds like you should get a Vita

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I just binge watched the series Severance and I give it a very strong recommendation. It's the most enjoyable new show I watched this year. Every actor was outstanding in their role, it's visually striking, and has a compelling and creepy plot.

It has substantial aesthetic and thematic overlap with The Stanley Parable and Control. It does its own very creative things but if you dig those games I think you'll like the show too. It takes place in 1970's looking brutalist office sci-fi dystopia where something is deeply wrong. Definitely has shades of The Oldest House.

Yeah there is a very strong Control vibe to the Severed Floor and the Lumon building for sure. That got my interest initially, the show being loving INCREDIBLE is what kept it :hai:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Yeah, Severance owns and is a great watch from start to finish.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Dark Souls 2:

I feel like I'm getting lost all the time and that there's dead ends everywhere.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are you playing dark souls 2 og or dark souls 2 sotfs,?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's been awhile, but I don't remember there being a bunch of dead ends beside the obvious 'you killed one of the big 4, pick a different direction now'. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah I'm replaying the game in my head and I'm remembering a bunch of different directions to go in and no dead ends aside from the Big Four

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

It's been awhile, but I don't remember there being a bunch of dead ends beside the obvious 'you killed one of the big 4, pick a different direction now'. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

Yeah, there's only a handful of actual-for-real dead ends that require storyline progress to proceed: Shrine of Winter, Aldia's Keep, and the two King's Gates. Level progression is definitely more linear than the first half of DS1, but it's relatively straightforwards, and there's usually only a few nooks and crannies with treasure chests that don't let you progress or loop back onto the main path.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Sounds like you should get a Vita

Everyone should get a Vita

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vita means life -- astro bot

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Everyone should get a Vita

Vita means life

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Learned recently that Sony cut the Vita’s RAM in half pretty much right before finalizing the design pissing off developers and contributing to its downfall

hatty fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 13, 2022

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My friend got me Space Haven and the FFVI Pixel Remaster for my birthday. :toot: Looking forward to trying those out.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a Shenmue 2 situation where I've played it multiple times including only a couple of years ago yeah

That reminds me that I need to finish my current playthrough of 2 and start thinking of posts for the greatest games thread. Or maybe I should just start over.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Pixel remasters for console when

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'll never get tired or stop loving Square being incoherent with game rerelases/remakes. Dragon Quest gets trash iPhone-level ports and then they do an entire remake of loving Live-A-Live. And then Chrono Cross not only comes out before any rerelease of Trigger, but is back to being barebones.

I absolutely love it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'll never get tired or stop loving Square being incoherent with game rerelases/remakes. Dragon Quest gets trash iPhone-level ports and then they do an entire remake of loving Live-A-Live. And then Chrono Cross not only comes out before any rerelease of Trigger, but is back to being barebones.

I absolutely love it

I assume it's probably down purely to either weird internal marketing metrics deciding who gets what, or just different developers having enough pull to get resources prioritized for their cherished remakes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean whatever resulted in Live-A-Live getting an official English release is great and they should not change anything even if it means I still can't play ff4/6 on a switch

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

See also: the SaGa series, of all things, getting high-quality, loving remasters

(please note this is not a complaint, the SaGa series is incredible and deserves every ounce of love that gets poured into it, currently :pray:ing for a Minstrel Song remaster)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Harrow posted:

See also: the SaGa series, of all things, getting high-quality, loving remasters

(please note this is not a complaint, the SaGa series is incredible and deserves every ounce of love that gets poured into it, currently :pray:ing for a Minstrel Song remaster)

I bet it's because Kawazu is powerful and has been there forever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Srice posted:

I bet it's because Kawazu is powerful and has been there forever.

Oh yeah, that's exactly why.

SaGa Frontier got a remaster because Kawazu wanted to do it, and it shows in just how much attention was put into a) maintaining what made the game so memorable in the first place, and b) adding to it in really fun ways.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

All the good ones are clearly the result of someone with pull stepping up to champion the project. Like Kawazu with the Saga ones.

Reminded of how Street Fighter 4 took forever to get made because no one at Capcom had the guts to touch it.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

hatty posted:

Learned recently that Sony cut the Vita’s RAM in half pretty much right before finalizing the design pissing off developers and contributing to its downfall

They focused on the important stuff instead, like two cameras, 3g, Near and a touchpad on the back

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1514269445975289857?s=20&t=K5aIm3ioaKvD2_6cYxj9tw

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just looking at this story and doing a :psyduck:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Elden Ring) The final job of Volcano House has me hauling rear end to a part of the map that seems pretty far right now, normally I’d just go into the manor itself but I’ve been spoiled enough to know that’s a Bad Idea if I wanna see all the side quests so I guess I’ll do some other poo poo.

Also I made friends with Rya! i guess her being a giant snakeworm lady was why she had that creepy slump before, but I’m confused why she didn’t just go to town on the crabman’s rear end because those snakeworms handed me my entire rear end in a top hat with their bullshit grab bite move.

Man, I guess I’m playing this game super inefficiently at 100+ hours and only like 60% through going by the map but it’s a surprisingly chill experience since you can always gently caress off to explore somewhere else instead of ramming your head against a meatgrinder boss/dungeon. I especially like using that signpost thing that sends your multiplayer sign to multiple areas at once right now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
slowly crushing my own initial ue5 steam as I get a more realistic idea of the work before me. making the rough blocking for a cave took ages, even before getting into lighting it and building a little underground city, which will require my own assets since all these city ones are for bigass big city City bldgs. So moved on, trying to recreate the goblin alley scene i started in blender, blocking it out was easy enough, but again the available resources were pretty specific and huge and not little cramped alley style.

big buildings are all done lego-style, which definitely means I'm missing some tool to snap these pieces together since manually aligning them is absurd. the city demo they give you was mildly illuminating, except no idea how they ended up grouping or instancing these things, even the decals were seemingly spread around procedurally. i still haven't learned decals in blender or ue5.

a lot of the megascans assets are also not as useful as they first appear, it's strength is very much in general landscape things. Wanna throw down some rocks, cliffs, rocky cliffs, cliffy rocks, and rocks again? Megascans is almost perfect, SOL in many cases if you want the bottom of rocks or the backs of things or the sides of things. found some cool assets for a street curb, just a rectable of concrete, right? jk no bottom and no sides, so only useful from the front angle basically. ue5 has modeling tools but not really good in that situation where youll end up needing to go to blender but then megascans got these weirdass setups and rexporting a pain.

new plan is to go back to blender, make myself some assets that i can stuff into ue5 where the foliages and rocks and stuff can dress it up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

(Elden Ring) The final job of Volcano House has me hauling rear end to a part of the map that seems pretty far right now, normally I’d just go into the manor itself but I’ve been spoiled enough to know that’s a Bad Idea if I wanna see all the side quests so I guess I’ll do some other poo poo.

Also I made friends with Rya! i guess her being a giant snakeworm lady was why she had that creepy slump before, but I’m confused why she didn’t just go to town on the crabman’s rear end because those snakeworms handed me my entire rear end in a top hat with their bullshit grab bite move.

Man, I guess I’m playing this game super inefficiently at 100+ hours and only like 60% through going by the map but it’s a surprisingly chill experience since you can always gently caress off to explore somewhere else instead of ramming your head against a meatgrinder boss/dungeon. I especially like using that signpost thing that sends your multiplayer sign to multiple areas at once right now.

Vague spoiler about the Volcano Manor as a dungeon and quest progress: as long as you don't kill the main boss until you're done with the quests, you're fine. You can get all the way up to the very obvious boss room without messing up any quest things.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Dark Souls 2:

I feel like I'm getting lost all the time and that there's dead ends everywhere.

I highly recommend a walkthrough for DS2. Ultimately you're going to enjoy it the most if you just keep your forward momentum up. There's a lot of fantastic stuff to see in that game but, unlike the other FROM games, I don't think you really benefit that much doing it completely blind.

Talking about it made me want to pull up Majula and listen. Man, it's CRAZY how that one track absolutely nails the feel of the game and separates it from anything else.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Never follow a guide on your first run, you weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Jay Rust posted:

Never follow a guide on your first run, you weirdo

I really doubt most people would do multiple runs of DS2. It's overlong and poorly paced.