Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Trump posted:

That's cool, but I was talking about the Carl Gustaf

My bad. Reading your post to me seemed that you were talking about the T-72, since that (as I assume you are aware by now) receives updates, for some goddamned reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Despera posted:

Seems a little risky having all those presidents with a known schedule near a place that was a recent warzone

Here’s what our defence minister has to say in reply to your question:
https://twitter.com/pabriks/status/1514112188348346374

Hopefully this will lead to a better derail in Latvian Twitter than the 3 days long farce with “patriots” falling over themselves to defend “civilised Wehrmacht troops”.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

gay picnic defence posted:

Has anyone sent any Carl Gustafs? I know Australia has a bunch and I doubt we'd need them anytime soon.

Dunno how they'd go against MBT armour but they'd be pretty good at loving up anything else.

Canada sent theirs, though how many and what vintage remains to be seen. (Germany isn’t the only place that has arsenals full of IOUs from previous governments.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BougieBitch posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure that Europe would have much to say if the US invaded Mexico on the basis of shutting down the drug trade - the reason we are seeing such a different response from various countries is based on proximity, not some kind of inherent difference in the morality of France/Germany vs everyone else. No one really expected so many going to bat for Ukraine to begin with, and I struggle to see how, for example, Poland would be able to spin defending Mexico as part of their nationalist government rhetoric - it works because everyone already has beef with Russia
Obviously all of eastern europe already hating russia helps. But many EU countries spoke out against invading Iraq (though not Poland lol) and I'm quite confident that if the US started annexing parts of Mexico and sending little Mexican kids to Alaska for "re-training" I think everyone would be very upset. Now ok I doubt anyone would send their soldiers to fight for Mexico, but nobody is expecting Mexico to fight in Ukraine either.

The reason this weak-rear end reaction from Germany/France is so upsetting is that this isn't just a skirmish over some rock in the sea or some stupid poo poo, but putin trying to redraw borders in Europe by force and cleanse the population. (Not for the first time even). When Saddam invaded Kuwait, the French sent their forces to the loving Persian gulf in order to kick his rear end. Putin tries the same poo poo in Europe and the reaction is... meh.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Hopefully this will lead to a better derail in Latvian Twitter than the 3 days long farce with “patriots” falling over themselves to defend “civilised Wehrmacht troops”.

Wie bitte‽

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Wie bitte‽

I’m sure you’ve seen the occasional anecdote with people recalling WW2 survivor stories how the Red Army was a proverbial rape tornado etcetera, which usually means to simply say that Soviets were no angels.

Latvian right-wingers, and their entourage of useful idiots, did latch onto a recent story where a living Ukrainian WW2 survivor was filmed saying that Russian attack on his village this year wrought more devastation on it than Nazis storming through it in WW2, taking it from “Russia’s armies can be dire” to “Nazi armies weren’t actually that bad, women even remember them fondly in comparison”, which I’m sure you’ve also seen before people saying. They got rightfully called out for it, at which point it became a culture war issue and so they doubled down on their Nazi mythology and began calling people disagreeing with them traitorous Russia sympathisers.

:ughh:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Crow Buddy posted:

Canada sent theirs, though how many and what vintage remains to be seen. (Germany isn’t the only place that has arsenals full of IOUs from previous governments.)

Oh god we sent CGs?

Friend was in reg force back in the 80s, said firing one sucked the snot out of your nose. Never understood that, lol.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
:nms: [url]https://twitter.com/rafsanchez/status/1514251956860166148?s=21&t=HSbwyP-holOTWGneHkgSHA:nms:[/url]

From MSNBC journalist:

Zelenskyy advisor says Ukrainian marines broke through Russian lines around Mariupol and linked up with Azov fighters.

I spoke to an officer from Azov, the far-Right militia leading the defence of Mariupol, about whether the city can hold out.

With @JonLemire on @WayTooEarly:

Video attached to tweet has generic video of tanks and artillery without any gore, figured I’d tag it in case.

Any confirmation for this? Are Ukrainian forces really that close to the Mariupol lines?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Is the existence of a Russian army that's competent, respected and largely free of corruption even possible under Putin? It seems like he's willfully undermined it to prevent it being a domestic political threat so hard, and the entire arms industry supporting it is such a multi-layer gigantic grift-a-thon, that there's just no way to get there from here.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

^^ I think they could have an army free of economic corruption, but not of political corruption. I doubt he’d allow army leadership independent enough to theoretically coup him were he caught red-handed with bombing another bunch of apartment buildings.

Cantorsdust posted:

Any confirmation for this? Are Ukrainian forces really that close to the Mariupol lines?

We need to find a more detailed quote, preferably the direct one - I’ll try to find it. I say that since there have been reports of an isolated pocket of Ukrainian marines encircled in Mariupol - the spoken footage doesn’t immediately discard the notion that this group may just have been able to break through their local encirclement and rejoin the main host.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

It got reported as if there's reinforcements breaking through from the outside but I think it's a misunderstanding of the claim? seemed like Russian forces had bisected the Ukrainian-controlled territory within the larger encircled forces in Mariupol, cutting off a regiment that then managed to break through that and re-form with the other group there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

News on the Nazi salute racistng kid.

https://www.motorsport.com/kart/news/russian-karter-loses-racing-licence-nazi-salute/9837571/

quote:

Motorsport's ruling body, the FIA, announced on Monday it would launch an investigation into the incident.

Severiukhin's team Ward Racing also announced the termination of his contract after the video of the incident emerged online.

The Italian Automobile Club (ACI) also called for an extraordinary meeting to discuss Severiukhin's behaviour, as he competes under Italian licence as a result of the ban on Russian athletes.

On Tuesday, the ACI announced its decision to revoke Severiukhin's licence, labelling his gesture as "unspeakable and unacceptable".

It also said further sanctions are not ruled out.

hosed around and found out.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I admit I didn't expect "Clean Wehrmachting to own the libs" today, cinci zoo sniper. Cripes.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Crow Buddy posted:

Active duty Canadian troops use the M3 version. The reserves use the M2. Canada also sent 2,000 rounds of ammo for the Carl Gustaf but they didn't specify which kind.

Canada also sent 4,500 M72A5 rocket launchers.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 13, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/arestovych/status/1514141566998302722

My assumption was correct, it’s the 36th marine brigade, that was defending Mariupol, allegedly breaking through their encirclement somewhere within the city.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

eke out posted:

It got reported as if there's reinforcements breaking through from the outside but I think it's a misunderstanding of the claim? seemed like Russian forces had bisected the Ukrainian-controlled territory within the larger encircled forces in Mariupol, cutting off a regiment that then managed to break through that and re-form with the other group there.

BBC news radio was reporting that a lot of Ukr forces surrendered today and that Mariupol had effectively fallen. Just checked the BBC news website and it's saying that was the claim from Russian news media but Ukraine is denying it. Since there's no real media reporting presence in Mariupol I think it'll be a while before we get any real picture of what's going on there.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Meanwhile, in Russia:

"We aren't the terrorist state, YOU ARE!!"
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1514254739709571077?s=20&t=ZRBcw9rLUaV6mhfKS3VSJw
Enough Russian soldiers/men are refusing to fight in Ukraine that Russia had to literally make a stamp for it
https://twitter.com/PopovaProf/status/1514247498709319682?s=20&t=vJJXpy99Z_5UaY6y8SmxYQ
Repetition is the key to believability
https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1513239309880541191?s=20&t=vJJXpy99Z_5UaY6y8SmxYQ
Using the quoted version because he's Russian and has some insight into the mindsets driving this framing
https://twitter.com/ABarbashin/status/1514199869581316111?s=20&t=uGaZ5GCepJpSb8Z3T8hrzg
:ironicat: increasing forever at the cannon fodder bit

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sean10mm posted:

Is the existence of a Russian army that's competent, respected and largely free of corruption even possible under Putin? It seems like he's willfully undermined it to prevent it being a domestic political threat so hard, and the entire arms industry supporting it is such a multi-layer gigantic grift-a-thon, that there's just no way to get there from here.

not anymore. people kinda assumed Chechnya was a fluke and then the Russians made lots of noises about reform and everyone bought it(the dude was fired a year later). honestly i am not sure how russia recovers from this poo poo period. they have been digging this grave for a good while now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Meanwhile, in Russia:

"We aren't the terrorist state, YOU ARE!!"
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1514254739709571077?s=20&t=ZRBcw9rLUaV6mhfKS3VSJw
Enough Russian soldiers/men are refusing to fight in Ukraine that Russia had to literally make a stamp for it
https://twitter.com/PopovaProf/status/1514247498709319682?s=20&t=vJJXpy99Z_5UaY6y8SmxYQ
Repetition is the key to believability
https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1513239309880541191?s=20&t=vJJXpy99Z_5UaY6y8SmxYQ
Using the quoted version because he's Russian and has some insight into the mindsets driving this framing
https://twitter.com/ABarbashin/status/1514199869581316111?s=20&t=uGaZ5GCepJpSb8Z3T8hrzg
:ironicat: increasing forever at the cannon fodder bit

yeah. i think they know its going badly and will probably end worse off then before but they can only double down now because of the way they hosed around. and thats what worries me.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

not anymore. people kinda assumed Chechnya was a fluke and then the Russians made lots of noises about reform and everyone bought it(the dude was fired a year later). honestly i am not sure how russia recovers from this poo poo period. they have been digging this grave for a good while now.

Thing is, as far as we can tell they’ve regressed from Syria even as far as basic poo poo goes. By any measurable account, their army did progressively improve from 1st Chechnya to 2nd Chechnya to Georgia to Crimea and Syria.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001

Mr. Apollo posted:

Active duty Canadian troops use the M3 version. The reserves use the M2. Canada also sent 2,000 rounds of ammo for the Carl Gustaf but they didn't specify which kind.

Canada also sent 4,500 M72A5 rocket launchers.

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1513101468181618688/photo/1

Says M4 but I think it's the M3 version. Swedish as in Swedish made I guess.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

My understanding is that McDonald's only closed the 84% of their stores in Russia that are directly owned by the company. The others, owned by franchisees, might still be open. Or the building may have been taken over by another restaurant (McBlyatald's?).

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-mcdonalds-closes-restaurants/31743326.html

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think they know its going badly and will probably end worse off then before but they can only double down now because of the way they hosed around. and thats what worries me.
What specifically worries you about that besides 'they will continue to bash their heads against the wall'?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There was some talk about their fuckups in Georgia, anyone knows were the best ones? Obviously Georgia was much easier due to their size and lack of support but I do remember hearing about how things didn't work properly.

Grouchio posted:

What specifically worries you about that besides 'they will continue to bash their heads against the wall'?
They could still go for a full mobilization and get even more people killed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

William Bear posted:

McBlyatald's?

https://youtu.be/QsnZCYGJQs0

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

There was some talk about their fuckups in Georgia, anyone knows were the best ones? Obviously Georgia was much easier due to their size and lack of support but I do remember hearing about how things didn't work properly.

Russian officers in Georgia were asking foreign journalists phones to try calling other officers to coordinate battle, because their comms weren’t working and their drones were equipped with like tape recorders and had to land safely to deliver footage. Also their vehicles just kept breaking all the time, and I’m pretty sure there was an insane amount of friendly fire going on.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

"Our cause is just" is also part of a WWII slogan, and is on campaign medals for it:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

mostly do more hosed up poo poo in ukraine out of desperation/anger. also maybe poo poo with with finland/Sweden. don't get me wrong, russia is hosed now. i just worry about how much they will try to twist the knife as they implode.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

mostly do more hosed up poo poo in ukraine out of desperation/anger. also maybe poo poo with with finland/Sweden. don't get me wrong, russia is hosed now. i just worry about how much they will try to twist the knife as they implode.

For better or worse, I think it’s safe to say that the worst is yet ahead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For better or worse, I think it’s safe to say that the worst is yet ahead.

agreed. my worry is more big war crimes and possible escalation with russia trying poo poo with Finland/Sweden because they are desperate/stupid.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed. my worry is more big war crimes and possible escalation with russia trying poo poo with Finland/Sweden because they are desperate/stupid.
Isn't Peskov claiming they wouldn't prepare to attack Finland in the event they join NATO a sign that they've conceded that point?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Isn't Peskov claiming they wouldn't prepare to attack Finland in the event they join NATO a sign that they've conceded that point?

They can claim that all they want, they don't have the units and even moreso, even pre-NATO membership it would likely be treated as a trigger for NATO. And they know this.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just worry about how much they will try to twist the knife as they implode.

There isn't really a situation that russia 'implodes' without taking the rest of the world with it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DandyLion posted:

There isn't really a situation that russia 'implodes' without taking the rest of the world with it.

I mean, the nineties were great for the West.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Trudeau mumbled the G word today:

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvell...ccesVia=partage

Like Biden, he’s deferring to legal instances to properly define it as such, but says it looks like it.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Mariana_Betsa/status/1514263463564132360?s=20&t=xA90Js1IlfjUK-PyGhRfxQ

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Have the Baltic/EE countries always been pretty good buddies or is it a post USSR. I freely admit my knowledge of politics for this area is shockingly bad. Outside of Belarus being poo poo, I know little about relationships between the others.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Gros Tarla posted:

Trudeau mumbled the G word today:

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvell...ccesVia=partage

Like Biden, he’s deferring to legal instances to properly define it as such, but says it looks like it.
That's great that more leaders are saying that, but is it going to be a case of never again unless it's inconvenient?

By your powers combined, I am Captain Gopnik.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Tai posted:

Have the Baltic/EE countries always been pretty good buddies or is it a post USSR. I freely admit my knowledge of politics for this area is shockingly bad. Outside of Belarus being poo poo, I know little about relationships between the others.

The present day struggles against Russia between these countries have origins dating back to the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth. There have been some conflicts between them, like when Poland attempted to go on a brief expansionist bent and take over half of Ukraine in the post WW1 era but generally speaking they all have a common enemy in Russia who decimated them culturally and economically for most of the 19th and 20th centuries. While it's hard to bear grudges for stuff that happened 200 years ago, functionally all of the countries on Russia's current borders have wanted to be independent and have their own culture and Russia has done lots over two centuries to suppress and control that.

In many ways the Warsaw pact and the territorial boundaries of the USSR until Gorby are the traditional borders of the Russian empire at its peak give or take a few acquisitions they obtained from the Germans. So outside of the simplistic communism vs capitalism axis there is also very much a nationalistic element to this struggle with deep roots and resentments.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Tai posted:

My Baltic history is somewhat spotty, but I do remember that the Nordic Council supported their independence even before the USSR collapsed and now treats Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, (and the state of Schleswig-Holstein) as "honourary nordics" of sorts. Those three countries also have their own coop organisation called the Baltic Assembly, as seen in this handy chart.