Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You don't have access to any interest until you're invested for a year, and then lose the last three months interest if you cash out before holding for 5 years. It would make sense that your bond shows no return yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Mons Hubris posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but I got a $10,000 I-bond in December 2021, and on Treasury Direct it still shows up as $10,000. Does the value not update until the first 6 months has passed?

When you log into the TD homepage, you need to click on the bond to get more details. The $10k I bought in December is now showing a value of $10,060.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

spf3million posted:

When you log into the TD homepage, you need to click on the bond to get more details. The $10k I bought in December is now showing a value of $10,060.

Ah ok, I see that now. Thanks!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Can you buy I bonds through an IRA?

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

nelson posted:

Can you buy I bonds through an IRA?

Through normal channels, no. It is probably possible to set up some sort of trust for this purpose but that seems like a lot of work to waste IRA space on a product that's partially tax-advantaged anyway.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
How do I um... do investing as like a retail investor. I don't have access to a Bloomberg terminal anymore or any of my models or anything like what the gently caress do I go on yahoo finance and use search terms?

I'm not like going to spend a bunch of time searching for alpha right now, I don't have enough capital that it's worth my time, but I did want to find some stable high div yield stocks (yes I know the tax implications).

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Mons Hubris posted:

Ah ok, I see that now. Thanks!

And for 5 years, you will see the value minus 3 months of interest. So that $10,060 you see would actually be worth about $10,180 at this point if you don’t redeem early.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

pseudanonymous posted:

How do I um... do investing as like a retail investor. I don't have access to a Bloomberg terminal anymore or any of my models or anything like what the gently caress do I go on yahoo finance and use search terms?

I'm not like going to spend a bunch of time searching for alpha right now, I don't have enough capital that it's worth my time, but I did want to find some stable high div yield stocks (yes I know the tax implications).

Just index. Yes you know the tax implications, but no, you don’t know why you should even be doing this in the first place.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pseudanonymous posted:

How do I um... do investing as like a retail investor.

80k posted:

Just index. Yes you know the tax implications, but no, you don’t know why you should even be doing this in the first place.

quote:

I don't have access to a Bloomberg terminal anymore or any of my models or anything like what the gently caress do I go on yahoo finance and use search terms?

I have so many questions.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Now this is a roller coaster of a post.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

pseudanonymous posted:

I’d say go elsewhere but I think you desperately need the lessons from this thread.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

80k posted:

Can you just answer the question and not assume you know more than me? I was a buy-side analyst and have a master's degree which was a 45% / 45% split between finance and accounting, I know exactly why I want to do what I want to do.

What I don't know is what are good websites to use to get data without access to things like a Bloomberg terminal or paid subscription services or things like that that I just had as a result of my job when I did loving stock analysis.

I really appreciate your deep need to know more than everyone, but thanks, I very much understand why I want what I want and I don't just want index funds.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
OP: help, I need help, I know very little and would appreciate help

Goons: here you go

OP: don't act like you know more than me, I have a Masters in this field

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

pseudanonymous posted:

Can you just answer the question and not assume you know more than me? I was a buy-side analyst and have a master's degree which was a 45% / 45% split between finance and accounting, I know exactly why I want to do what I want to do.

What I don't know is what are good websites to use to get data without access to things like a Bloomberg terminal or paid subscription services or things like that that I just had as a result of my job when I did loving stock analysis.

I really appreciate your deep need to know more than everyone, but thanks, I very much understand why I want what I want and I don't just want index funds.

just ignore everyone in here and go for it, you're gonna do great

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

pseudanonymous posted:

I was a buy-side analyst and have a master's degree which was a 45% / 45% split between finance and accounting, I know exactly why I want to do what I want to do.

what was the other 10% op

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

raminasi posted:

shitposting. that was the valuable part that can be used in the real world

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Long Term investing is passive and requires no real information aside from picking a broker and loading up on very low fee index funds.

You want the gambling thread. I use WeBull and can subscribe to various real time data feeds and pretend I know what I'm doing with TA in their app.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&pagenumber=2645#lastpost

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Long Term Investing & Retirement: a 45% / 45% split between finance and accounting

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Long Term Investing & Retirement: buy-side with a master's

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

"Moving from driving a container ship to a rowboat, any advice? Also, gently caress you."

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

raminasi posted:

It was bullshit, have you ever done an advanced degree? You're always forced into some bullshit.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

pseudanonymous posted:

It was bullshit, have you ever done an advanced degree? You're always forced into some bullshit.

Yea man I did 2 last week

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Long Term investing is passive and requires no real information aside from picking a broker and loading up on very low fee index funds.

You want the gambling thread. I use WeBull and can subscribe to various real time data feeds and pretend I know what I'm doing with TA in their app.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&pagenumber=2645#lastpost

Thank you, I missed that thread. Really that's all I needed.

I do really appreciate the 10 dipshits chiming in as if someone wanting to do some investing on top of their long-term stuff is somehow wrong or bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

gotta admit, this is very true and makes the rest of his posts more credible

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pseudanonymous posted:

Thank you, I missed that thread. Really that's all I needed.

I do really appreciate the 10 dipshits chiming in as if someone wanting to do some investing on top of their long-term stuff is somehow wrong or bad.

As long as you know it’s gambling then go for it.

It’s wrong or bad if you think you can time the market.

You mentioned high dividend yields , here is Vanguards high dividend yield ETF (also available as a mutual fund).

https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/overview/VYM

I do not know what the tax implications are if you get that in a taxable account for the record. My Roth and reg 401k re invest all dividends.

I legit will maybe get the mutual fund of this at some point just for kicks, but honestly it looks like the standard Large Cap just with a smaller amount of said large companies in the mix.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

pseudanonymous posted:

I just use Orlando the stock picking cat. Do you want their contact info? You do have to pay for for the toy mouse for him to throw at the grid of companies, this may be out of your price range.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Active management of quickly moving ETFs is not really investment.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Going to buy some i bonds before the 28th to essentially lock in an 8.37% rate for the next 12 months. Even if I eat the 3 month penalty before 5 years it's worth it. Hopefully the rate tanks soon after!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Going to buy some i bonds before the 28th to essentially lock in an 8.37% rate for the next 12 months. Even if I eat the 3 month penalty before 5 years it's worth it. Hopefully the rate tanks soon after!
The I bond interest rate is the sum of a fixed and floating rate. The fixed rate is for the life of the loan and the floating rate changes every 6 months. Currently the fixed rate is 0%.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Definitely, I was just alluding to hoping inflation doesn’t stay high for the next decade and comes back down sooner than later.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hello I'm here with a stupid newbie question. I am a teacher and will get a nice pension, I have a Roth IRA I throw $6k in every year. I'm good right? Should I be saving more for retirement?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jows posted:

It's ok. Everyone else is losing money, too! Hope you're looking forward to your 2% raise this year!

:toot:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

Hello I'm here with a stupid newbie question. I am a teacher and will get a nice pension, I have a Roth IRA I throw $6k in every year. I'm good right? Should I be saving more for retirement?

That depends on how much money you will need in retirement, how much your pension will pay, the risk that your pension may be handicapped/gone by the time you're drawing on it, likelihood you will remain in that pension system long enough to be fully vested, etc.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Motronic posted:

That depends on how much money you will need in retirement, how much your pension will pay, the risk that your pension may be handicapped/gone by the time you're drawing on it, likelihood you will remain in that pension system long enough to be fully vested, etc.

1) I’m young enough that I feel like the only answer is “who the gently caress knows,” 2) calculator estimates ~10k/month, 3) I’m in CA so I feel like I’m relatively safe from that? But who knows, 4) I’m a long hauler for sure lol.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hawkperson posted:

The $6k you throw into a Roth IRA... what is it invested in? Target date fund? S&P 500? World-dominating stocks?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Loan Dusty Road posted:

I just bought this years as well. I don't think I will get anymore in the future though. Basically calling it part of my emergency fund. Having 1/2 in there sems like enough.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Space Fish posted:

The $6k you throw into a Roth IRA... what is it invested in? Target date fund? S&P 500? World-dominating stocks?

The vanguard 2050 target thing

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you have a decent pension coming I'd consider going all stocks. Like 70/30 US/International split.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Hawkperson posted:

The vanguard 2050 target thing

This is Good. It's a good thing to do.

You may be able to grow the money faster by going 100% stock funds if that's a risk you are comfortable with, but you are definitely doing a good thing and it'll serve you well if you keep maxing out your IRA and leave it right there.

If you have extra money beyond your emergency fund, your short to medium-term goals will determine the best place for that money to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

Assuming you're holding bond ETFs or funds, and the interest rates change significantly, how does that impact the value and dividends paid by the fund/ETF?