Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

MGS4 pushed it a bit but it's all story that you wouldn't really get through gameplay so whatever.

"a bit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I could have sworn there were scenes in Yakuza games that were longer.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zil posted:

I could have sworn there were scenes in Yakuza games that were longer.

According to a cracked article I just googled, it looks like the longest unbroken Yakuza cutscene is 23 minutes, so very close to MGS4's record but doesn't beat it

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It is taking into account three previous games though so it doesn't exist in a vacuum. But even for a Metal Gear fan like me it does push it.. a bit.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

4 was a huge let-down after 3

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I would bet FF14 beats that record.

Also, my understanding is that the ladder in MGS3 is only as long as the song goes, so you can climb it to the point that the bottom disappears, then stop and wait for the song to end, and boom you're at the top.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The ads at the beginning of mgs4 are great

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Marcade posted:

Also, my understanding is that the ladder in MGS3 is only as long as the song goes, so you can climb it to the point that the bottom disappears, then stop and wait for the song to end, and boom you're at the top.

And here I was hoping that if you stopped, the song would stop, and if you started climbing down again, the song would play in reverse.

Regarding patience with cutscenes: some fraction of the population is interested in games solely for the interactive, press-buttons-get-gameplay elements. Cutscenes, or indeed reading of any sort, are anathema. This makes designing game tutorials especially challenging :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The thing about that cutscene is that it isn't unbroken. You get a prompt to save halfway through, so you don't have to watch all of it again if something happens.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Philippe posted:

The thing about that cutscene is that it isn't unbroken. You get a prompt to save halfway through, so you don't have to watch all of it again if something happens.

I think the criteria is if gameplay happens or not, save prompts are apparently fine

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I could have sworn Xenosaga had some absolutely massive cutscenes. Like over an hour.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Marcade posted:

I would bet FF14 beats that record.

FF14 is the first game I've played that had cutscenes long enough that the game warned me I was about to be in for a lot of drivel.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Regarding patience with cutscenes: some fraction of the population is interested in games solely for the interactive, press-buttons-get-gameplay elements. Cutscenes, or indeed reading of any sort, are anathema. This makes designing game tutorials especially challenging :v:

it'd just be nice if conversations about videogames treated this position less as the default and more of a kind of terrible way to engage with media

PurpleXVI posted:

FF14 is the first game I've played that had cutscenes long enough that the game warned me I was about to be in for a lot of drivel.

i'm playing through the msq for the first time and i've never been disappointed or disliked what i got presented with after a 'several cutscenes' prompt, let alone would call it drivel

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

it'd just be nice if conversations about videogames treated this position less as the default and more of a kind of terrible way to engage with media

You don't get to be the arbiter of what is and is not the correct way to engage with a piece of media. To be clear, neither do the people who hate cutscenes. Everyone has different tastes, and the great thing about games is that they can be adaptable and cater to multiple different tastes. Skipping cutscenes, changing difficulty, outright cheating (in a singleplayer game) is all legitimate.

I mean, sure, at some point you need to understand what kind of game you're playing and be willing to engage with it on that level. Don't give Disco Elysium a bad review because it has too much text, for example, because that is a game that is fundamentally about reading. And skipping cutscenes in a game like The Cherry Orchard would be similarly missing the point.

But if a game gives you the option to skip cutscenes, you really shouldn't be surprised when a substantial fraction of the playerbase uses that option.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

flatluigi posted:

i'm playing through the msq for the first time and i've never been disappointed or disliked what i got presented with after a 'several cutscenes' prompt, let alone would call it drivel

Prior to Heavensward the MSQ is really just dull as toast, except when it throws you gross curveballs like putting down slave revolts(yeah we're totally the good guys) or focuses on killing indigenous populations which clearly have a reason to be pissed(and there being groups of them that you can work with peacefully later in the game clearly shows that murdering hundreds of them in the early game is kind of weird and uncool).

Then in Heavensward the quality goes up substantially for like 4/5ths of everything, except for some very blatant filler you're now dealing with more interesting characters, you don't have to put up with Minfilia constantly, there's no going to the Waking Sands every five minutes, people actually give you missions that matter rather than fetching their socks or making them sandwiches... and then after Heavensward I'll admit I'm at a loss, because there was just a precipitous drop in quality afterwards that made me drop the game like a brick because it felt like returning to ARR levels of quality.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah no that's not how i felt about ffxiv at all. have you played it recently? i'm told there was an early game revamp right before i started playing and i have no complaints about anything in the later expansions

You don't get to be the arbiter of what is and is not the correct way to engage with a piece of media. To be clear, neither do the people who hate cutscenes. Everyone has different tastes, and the great thing about games is that they can be adaptable and cater to multiple different tastes. Skipping cutscenes, changing difficulty, outright cheating (in a singleplayer game) is all legitimate.

I mean, sure, at some point you need to understand what kind of game you're playing and be willing to engage with it on that level. Don't give Disco Elysium a bad review because it has too much text, for example, because that is a game that is fundamentally about reading. And skipping cutscenes in a game like The Cherry Orchard would be similarly missing the point.

But if a game gives you the option to skip cutscenes, you really shouldn't be surprised when a substantial fraction of the playerbase uses that option.

having an option to skip cutscenes doesn't mean that 'skipping cutscenes' is the intended way to experience the game for the first time + the rest of your post is aggressively agreeing with me

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

the rest of your post is aggressively agreeing with me

I guess I wasn't sufficiently clear then. But hey, live in whatever reality you like. I have to live in the one where people who aren't allowed to skip cutscenes will get angry at me and leave bad reviews on my game, and it's a lot easier on my psyche if I accept that their feelings are valid, vs. if I get mad at them for not playing the game right.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

flatluigi posted:

cutscenes are fine when they're interesting or compelling and gamers being against them always makes me wonder if they ever sit and watch a movie

I bought a game to play it, not watch it.

The worst cutscenes are the ones right after the save point before the boss fight so you keep having to sit through them when you fail (I'm an old, I fail a lot).

Humbug Scoolbus has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Apr 13, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I guess I wasn't sufficiently clear then. But hey, live in whatever reality you like. I have to live in the one where people who aren't allowed to skip cutscenes will get angry at me and leave bad reviews on my game, and it's a lot easier on my psyche if I accept that their feelings are valid, vs. if I get mad at them for not playing the game right.

based entirely off this post i'm assuming you made YIIK

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
could you imagine sitting down and watching a piece of visual media for up to 27 minutes?? geez louise!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

the middle of your post that I quoted is about how skipping pieces of the game that are intended parts of it can negatively effect your experience, like skimming/skipping through text in disco elysium. it's exactly what i was saying regarding it being a bad way to engage with media

plus, like, yeah a lot of people are really insistent on being able to engage with media badly. go tell a fan of the channel that watching cinemasins on youtube shouldn't be treated as a replacement for watching a film or even a good way to get a summary and see how angry they get. they're definitely making a choice, they really want to make that choice, and they really want that choice to still be available to them in the future; that still doesn't make that choice a good one no matter how many bad reviews they've left on a game (??)

you're still losing out on a chunk of the game if you skip all the cutscenes by default. a game is a combination of both its mechanics and its narrative, and how those interact. though the ideal is always to have the two combined, sometimes moments are better served through being primarily one or the other -- sometimes forcing the player to take an action makes it have more impact than it being shown in a cutscene, and sometimes a cutscene can better frame action/story beats/exposition than having it happen while the player is focused on game actions elsewhere. it's all part of the same experience + treating some of it as always inherently ancillary and throwaway is, again, a terrible way to engage with media

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

somepartsareme posted:

could you imagine sitting down and watching a piece of visual media for up to 27 minutes?? geez louise!

Not when I was expecting to sit down and interact with a piece of interactive media!

I'm surprised Kojima hasn't made a prestige TV series yet, it's clearly something he really wants to do

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Honestly I'd rather play a bit of a Kojima game than watch all of a Kojima show or movie.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

based entirely off this post i'm assuming you made YIIK

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to link my game! :v:

Anyway, I don't want to get bogged down in arguments about the right way to consume media. Here's a flying ship.

https://i.imgur.com/j5cLw40.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Anyway, I don't want to get bogged down in arguments about the right way to consume media. Here's a flying ship.

well you're obviously doing it right, that looks awesome

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Dewgy posted:

I could have sworn Xenosaga had some absolutely massive cutscenes. Like over an hour.

:same:

The game is like 3/4 cutscenes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m not sure why the MGS4 record is 27 minutes, I remember the noninteractive part of the endgame sequence was at least 60. But that may be technically several cutscenes in a row, separated by moments where you have to take a step forward and press activate or something

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

I’m not sure why the MGS4 record is 27 minutes, I remember the noninteractive part of the endgame sequence was at least 60. But that may be technically several cutscenes in a row, separated by moments where you have to take a step forward and press activate or something

It is a few separate cutscenes, in the same vein the 30+ minutes ending of MGS2 is technically interactive since half of it is codec calls.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

I remember that final cutscene being feature length. Am I misremembering or was there some "Press X" prompt in there that disqualifies the whole thing from being included in the record?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Doc Hawkins posted:

you may have heard people talk about these metal gear solid games. three is very arguably the best one.

I played through MGS3 HD recently -- actually, I played through all the old MGS games and while 3 has been my "all time favorite game" for so many years, I think now it's the one that holds up the worst. At least when MGS2 is being overly weird, it fits within the context of the game. MGS3 has so many weird parts that are only weird because the voice acting, the dialogue, and the characters' animations are so extremely inconsistent.

My ex, who was watching me play it, sure didn't get why I was so excited about the ladder, so obviously we're not together now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My favorite MGS4 hour long cutscene is Snake smoking a cigarette incredibly satisfyingly and staring me down while the game installed.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Apparently Death Stranding and Star Ocean have all of those beat:

https://gamerant.com/video-games-longest-cutscenes-history/

Mercury_Storm has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Apr 13, 2022

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

All I can envision when I see that, is a ship with a super-reinforced, axe-head-shaped bow that launches up like that and just cleaves other ships right in half, and I'm loving that thought. It reminds me of a r/hfy story that I sadly can't seem to find, where the humans took a ship like that and outfitted it with a short range wormhole drive. The ship was moved into a system for a battle, where it began speeding up to near-light-speeds, but going in the opposite direction from battle. Once it maxed out its speed, the ship warp-jumped to right beside the biggest ship in the enemy fleet and just, punched right through it with all that built up momentum. In an instant it jumped to the next ship, then the next, then the next, repeat till the whole enemy fleet was scrap.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

ha! I think Palidoor has several glitches, and I just ran into another one last night.

I was on the Veldt and Strago had the cursed shield. I used Palidoor against Holy Dragon and down comes Locke, down comes Relm....... and that's it. Strago was out there in the ether, hitting me with the Healing Rod, and I could target him, but he definitely wasn't on the field at all. It was kind of weird tbh. Didn't affect me none but it was still kinda funny

https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-Tactics/Update%20115/
There's a silly glitch in FFT just like that where you have someone equipped with a gun attempt to jump on a unit with blade grasp and if it triggers the jumper just hangs out in the air

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The key difference between a movie and a cutscene is that movies give you control over playback. With a movie you can rewind parts you missed, fastforward parts that are really drat boring, pause and feed your dog, whatever. Cutscenes give you no control over their playback save for a skip (hopefully you can replay it). This makes cutscenes infinitely more infuriating when they last more than 10-20 minutes.

Also they often happen right after a boss fight or completing a stage and you just want to save and quit because the sun's coming up and you have work in 3 hours.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was playing Elden Ring earlier, and I ran into one of those sword lion things. It jumped into the air, got stuck against a wall with me underneath, and goomba-humped my head until I dropped dead of shame.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dewgy posted:

I was going to mention Xenosaga because I definitely remember one point in episode 1 where you got a save prompt at the start of a cutscene, and another one at the end of that same cutscene, with no gameplay in the middle.

Kyte posted:

The key difference between a movie and a cutscene is that movies give you control over playback. With a movie you can rewind parts you missed, fastforward parts that are really drat boring, pause and feed your dog, whatever. Cutscenes give you no control over their playback save for a skip (hopefully you can replay it). This makes cutscenes infinitely more infuriating when they last more than 10-20 minutes.

Also they often happen right after a boss fight or completing a stage and you just want to save and quit because the sun's coming up and you have work in 3 hours.

Video games are getting better about this now, where at least it's fairly standard that you can pause mid cutscene without skipping.

The Cheshire Cat has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Apr 14, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

QTE's were the worst addition to gaming since you now have to be on your toes during cutscenes instead of enjoying it or zoning out.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the rocketjumping is pretty cool but this is still my favorite shipgame bug:

I'm working on adding dazzle camouflage to my ship game. To get the right look, everything on the ship needs to be camouflaged, except I got a little overzealous with "everything".

https://twitter.com/byobattleship/status/1273697781824098304

Bonus: when the ship moves, the texture...doesn't.

https://i.imgur.com/gO4VjkW.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Dabir posted:

I was playing Elden Ring earlier, and I ran into one of those sword lion things. It jumped into the air, got stuck against a wall with me underneath, and goomba-humped my head until I dropped dead of shame.

Those guys are kind of wonky. I had one manage to get its head stuck between a wall and a staircase, and it just kinda sat there mournfully twerking its rear end at the sky until I stopped laughing long enough to stab it to death.

When an Elden Ring monster disagrees with the terrain, it really disagrees with the terrain.