Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Dexo posted:

eh This sale might actually signal that they are still gonna do the Cortex Digital tools,

WotC had to pay them money for it, and it cleans up the portfolio to just focus on the thing they have more control over than D&D

Maybe, but I doubt it. Adam Bradford left Fandom a year ago, and the development of their digital tools seemed to slow down a lot. It sounds like WotC didn't get just the code but also the developer talent. This feels like Fandom "pivoting".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CitizenKeen posted:

Maybe, but I doubt it. Adam Bradford left Fandom a year ago, and the development of their digital tools seemed to slow down a lot. It sounds like WotC didn't get just the code but also the developer talent. This feels like Fandom "pivoting".

With any luck, pivoting into a grave. Sorry, Cortex, but (especially in light of the licensing) you're an acceptable sacrifice in this case, in my book. (I know, they'll survive, but I can hope.)

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Dexo posted:

Jesus 146 million.

10 million registered users doesn't mean 10 million paying customers, but especially given hasbro are now getting all of the pie and not just a piece of it...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

PST posted:

10 million registered users doesn't mean 10 million paying customers, but especially given hasbro are now getting all of the pie and not just a piece of it...

More importantly, it sounds whatever the gently caress 6e/5.5e ends up becoming, WotC is going to be focusing heavily on online toolsets(all the better to sell dumb microtransations like dice, character sheet skins, and minis).

Using the DNDbeyond toolset, and creating an actual VTT for it seems like it'd be an incredibly smart move for whatever their next major release ends up being. To just try and keep everything in house.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

All the companies getting into the VTT game is such a logical extension of where the industry is at now. The days of playing in a physical game store are almost dead, and playing with any of your friends throughout the world has been a huge boon during covid.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

For a good, in depth look at the (very racist) origins of orcs and some ideas on what to do next, it's hard to beat this pair of blog articles:

https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/1/13/orcs-britons-and-the-martial-race-myth-part-i-a-species-built-for-racial-terror

https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/6/30/orcs-britons-and-the-martial-race-myth-part-ii-theyre-not-human

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

All the companies getting into the VTT game is such a logical extension of where the industry is at now. The days of playing in a physical game store are almost dead, and playing with any of your friends throughout the world has been a huge boon during covid.

Its also very appealing to modern capitalists in charge of the money decisions. Selling books is too 20th century, so much overhead! Selling apps is the way, you can scale that to infinity! TECH!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Libertad! posted:

Hey Arivia.

Since it's established that the Realms have a planar connection to our own world what with Mulhorand/Egypt and Elminster acting as Ed's creative consultant, are there any isekai-style NPCs wandering around who are basically Japanese high school students or John From Accounting who have no idea how the gently caress they got summoned in the middle of a magefair?

Ed has confirmed that yes, those kinds of characters do exist in the FR, but none are documented. My personal guess is that Brian the Swordmaster is one of them, since that name sticks out like a sore thumb (the other explanation being one of the players in the Company of Crazed Venturers really mailing it in at character creation).

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Its also very appealing to modern capitalists in charge of the money decisions. Selling books is too 20th century, so much overhead! Selling apps is the way, you can scale that to infinity! TECH!

tired: Selling you a PHB for $39.99

wired: Renting you a PDF of that same PHB for a very affordable monthly fee of $4.99 ($6.99 if you want the artwork as well).

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I hadn't seen this posted yet:

https://twitter.com/joindicebreaker/status/1514265998282604547?t=79ljvrQ4fYCLqdwQVmLOWg&s=19

License Budget: $350k
Editing Budget: 0.49¢

someone who is good at math please help, my splatbook is dying

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

tired: Selling you a PHB for $39.99

wired: Renting you a PDF of that same PHB for a very affordable monthly fee of $4.99 ($6.99 if you want the artwork as well).

They basically did that in 2007 with D&D Insider, except it was a package of digital tools, every issue of of the magazines, etc. and not the PDFs of the books (but you didn't really need all the PHBs, Power books, treasure vaults, etc. if you had the full character creator...). It doesn't require a big greedy corporation to recognize the value of a monthly revenue stream to a company, and the value of interconnected digital tools to the players.

It was shuttered in 2020 due to Microsoft finally killing its boondoggle platform Silverlight, and it should come as no surprise to anyone that Wizards and Hasbro would plan for a successor to one of its most wildly successful (and profitable) game tools projects.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 13, 2022

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

When I bought the 3.0 PHB back in the day it came with a bundled CD-ROM with character creation software stuck to the inside cover and I remember thinking it was the most futuristic thing ever.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It's an attempt to solve the eternal economic problem that has plagued the publishers of RPGs since the dawn of the hobby: how do you make a living producing a product that a group only has to buy one copy of and can then play forever and ever without spending another nickel?

D&D 4E tried something similar when they started, which immediately ran aground for reasons that they couldn't control.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Leperflesh posted:

It was shuttered in 2020 due to Microsoft finally killing its boondoggle platform Silverlight, and it should come as no surprise to anyone that Wizards and Hasbro would plan for a successor to one of its most wildly successful (and profitable) game tools projects.

Yeah Insider was making a killing for them, it was one of the things that they must have had some serious internal discussions about the loss of revenue on.

I can't find them now but I'm sure I've read some stuff from wotc staff in the 4e-5e transition time on how it allowed people to get by with only one copy of the book/one copy of insider at the table. Which, yes, is why it was good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

When I bought the 3.0 PHB back in the day it came with a bundled CD-ROM with character creation software stuck to the inside cover and I remember thinking it was the most futuristic thing ever.

And that was actually part of a larger program that was separately for sale. The very first collection of first-party computer tools for D&D was the Core Rules CDROM for 2e, which received two versions AND an expansion.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Father Wendigo posted:

https://twitter.com/joindicebreaker/status/1514265998282604547?t=79ljvrQ4fYCLqdwQVmLOWg&s=19

Without googling it, it's a 5E port right? 'We're making a lazy tie-in for (x) to make a quick buck. Pass me the SRD, it's time to get re-skinning'

Edit:Lol, of course it is.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, IIRC, the Orcs in eberron are explicitly heroic, and were basically dying out due to depredations of Demons and being the front line protectors of the Greenwardens for generations. They welcomed humans of like mind who were willing to take up their charge and saw Half-Orcs as a continuation of their culture without the weakness to sunlight that kept them in the swamps and deep forests.

Straight-up, yeah. The orcs are a people largely content in their fairly marginal (to others) lands, who've always been off doing their own thing while empires rise and fall. There's a relatively high incidence of orc and half-orc Khyber cultists (worshipping otherworldly gribblies), but that's from proximity to where the daelkyr (said gribblies) were imprisoned - if anyone else moved in, they'd start falling prey, too. Plus as of 5e, the Venetian-Republic-but-with-mining dwarves are digging too deep and starting to get some daelkyr corruption of their own.

Notably, one of the fastest-rising powers among the Dragonmarked Houses is House Tharashk, composed of humans, orcs, and half-orcs. Most of the focus is on the humans and half-orcs since they're the ones who carry the mark, but the orcs are absolutely carrying their own weight in the house and, well, are also just beloved family. Most significantly, their "marginal" swampy Shadow Marches have become incredibly valuable because it's a reliable source of dragonshards, the magical material that the economy runs on. They could risk becoming the local equivalent of a petrostate under Tharashk, but orc culture emphasizes the community in a way that's holding the worst of that off for now.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Arivia posted:

And that was actually part of a larger program that was separately for sale. The very first collection of first-party computer tools for D&D was the Core Rules CDROM for 2e, which received two versions AND an expansion.

Looking back, the 2E CD-ROM seems like an insanely good deal because you got all the core books, the Player’s Option books and the full set of class and racial splatbooks as a one-time purchase.

On the other hand, how many people brought their laptop to the gaming table in 1998?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Father Wendigo posted:

From the article:

quote:

At Steamforged, our primary goal is always to create compelling tabletop experiences that capture the hearts and imaginations of our fans, immersing them in vivid worlds they can get lost in time and time again,” Steamforged Games said in a statement to Dicebreaker. “While we feel we’ve achieved that with Dark Souls: The Roleplaying Game in light of the overwhelming positive reviews, we acknowledge the concerns some have raised and take all feedback seriously.
"In light of the overwhelming positive reviews" is a hall of fame dodge

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Father Wendigo posted:

get good at editing

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Father Wendigo posted:

drat I was expecting lazy port of 5e rules, why didn't I put money down on "Everything that we have to actually rewrite is a sloppy mess" too?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

One of the people who DMs in our group has bought this book and I feel bad for him (but also he backed the DS boardgame and knows it's a mess so sympathy is somewhat limited)

I'll post about it if we ever play it

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I kind of want to browse the copy out of morbid curiosity

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It seems like the main draw of this thing for a fan of the series would be the art, but I'm guessing the book has great art because it's just reusing stuff they've already got.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

It seems like the main draw of this thing for a fan of the series would be the art, but I'm guessing the book has great art because it's just reusing stuff they've already got.

Yeah the example spells and items in that article look like the in-game icons just without compression.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Arivia posted:

Yeah the example spells and items in that article look like the in-game icons just without compression.

The board games are actually kinda sparse on art direction, since most of it is just "print a card with the inventory graphic on it". I wish I had looked closer at the demo copy at Adepticon to see if there was original art. At least the japanese Dark Souls 3 RPG gave us chibi Firelink Shrine.

A better example is how there is concept art of levels in the manual kinda just dropped in. Art that includes a low poly man in it for scale purposes. But SFG didn't see the need to crop it out, assuming they couldn't get a clean version (or if one exists).

jadarx fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 13, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I kind of want to browse the copy out of morbid curiosity

I've sent him a message to ask if he has the pdf yet

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It looks like 5E system games are continuing on the D20 legacy of someone taking a dump on letter-sized paper, binding it in a book, and shipping it without playtesting.

By the way, what other games use or are going to use the 5E system? For some reason I thought there was a Dr. Who one but a google search makes me think I'm wrong about that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BattleMaster posted:

It looks like 5E system games are continuing on the D20 legacy of someone taking a dump on letter-sized paper, binding it in a book, and shipping it without playtesting.

By the way, what other games use or are going to use the 5E system? For some reason I thought there was a Dr. Who one but a google search makes me think I'm wrong about that.

Oh, that was announced a few months ago. There was even a Twitter thread or two of whining about the pushback posted either here or in the chat thread.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, that was announced a few months ago. There was even a Twitter thread or two of whining about the pushback posted either here or in the chat thread.

Okay so I didn't imagine it, thanks. I did a search for it and found that a Dr. Who RPG with a not incredibly stupid system also by Cubicle 7 just got a second edition so I thought I was wrong.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Going to quote myself for when it was just announced that this Dark Souls RPG was going to be 5E-based:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think it's okay to be mindful of what you want to do with an adaptation from a different medium into role-playing games? And I think it's healthy to be suspicious of 5E as a system for it, considering how much shovelware that space has in the IP department.

I'm not the only one who said this, but it's time to accept "X but in 5E" as a prima facia red flag without having to justify how dare we gatekeep etc etc.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

They're also doing a My Little Pony RPG that's either 5e or 5e-adjacent (True20?), which sucks because the River Horse one is great and actually kid playable. (I did a brief F&F of the core book some time ago.) IIRC the other Hasbro stuff like Transformers is getting a similar treatment.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If I was gonna make a Darksouls RPG I don't think my first choice would be the system where all of the feints, parries, dodges of melee combat are abstracted into a single D20 roll. I don't think thats what Darksouls players are after

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Somehow I feel like the best jumping off system would actually be Torchbearer. Lots of stuff in the Burning Wheel system obviously doesn't fit at all, but the particular way Torchbearer focuses on resources and approaches conflict would fit really well.
Instead of trying to replicate dodging, parries, etc, the sensation instead of approaching fights at first with the objective of "getting the opponent's measure" or "fleeing through an area filled with unknown dangers" or things like that would be really neat.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

zachol posted:

Somehow I feel like the best jumping off system would actually be Torchbearer. Lots of stuff in the Burning Wheel system obviously doesn't fit at all, but the particular way Torchbearer focuses on resources and approaches conflict would fit really well.
Instead of trying to replicate dodging, parries, etc, the sensation instead of approaching fights at first with the objective of "getting the opponent's measure" or "fleeing through an area filled with unknown dangers" or things like that would be really neat.

Base Burning Wheel's giant complicated Fight! minigame is probably not the right fit, but it might have a functional skeleton to build off of.

I'm thinking about how you plot out exchanges in advance, so you could use the variant timing on that to be like a light vs a heavy attack and then you could have parrying as a specific order that requires you to predict exactly when an attack would come in but has great effect. (Which is really just me modifying the hell out of how Feints work.) Something sort of like instead of planning ahead three rounds, you collapse it into segments of one round with some kind of action point economy. You'd obviously have to have all these moving parts drum taut for it work of course.

Not saying that it'd actually be any good, but I think even my half-assed brain fart of an idea is better than another god drat 5e clone.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ultiville posted:

They're also doing a My Little Pony RPG that's either 5e or 5e-adjacent (True20?), which sucks because the River Horse one is great and actually kid playable. (I did a brief F&F of the core book some time ago.) IIRC the other Hasbro stuff like Transformers is getting a similar treatment.

Sure, but Hasbro isn't looking at different systems and their pros and cons here, they just chose the one that they owned so that the could get paid twice.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

DalaranJ posted:

Sure, but Hasbro isn't looking at different systems and their pros and cons here, they just chose the one that they owned so that the could get paid twice.

I don't think they're developing it in-house, pretty sure it's a licensing situation. But maybe.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I haven't read it, but I'm sure I saw some talk of the Dune 2D20 game having a good system for close combat that deals with feints, dodges, parries etc. I wonder how well that might translate to Dark Souls

The saddest part about all of this is that it pretty much kills dead any hope of getting an official English translation of that weird and cool sounding Japanese Dark Souls RPG

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

My personal hot take is that orcs are the worst mainstream fantasy species. The more I think about them, the more their theming just comes off as "humans, but okay to kill".

There are some takes on them that can be pretty fun and go beyond that, like Warhammer, but they seem much more like the exception and not the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Tarnop posted:

I haven't read it, but I'm sure I saw some talk of the Dune 2D20 game having a good system for close combat that deals with feints, dodges, parries etc. I wonder how well that might translate to Dark Souls

The saddest part about all of this is that it pretty much kills dead any hope of getting an official English translation of that weird and cool sounding Japanese Dark Souls RPG

Dark souls should have just used 4th ed D&D, and had you get your at wills, encounter, and daily powers from whatever weapon you had equipped. Maybe give people the chance to roll your AC bonus vs an attack to parry, but it drops your AC to ten for that round.