Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Never follow a guide on your first run, you weirdo

Nothing is true, everything is permitted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://twitter.com/KTVU/status/1404856148482682882?t=qnqXARqXmNeDkyMXq1ioVQ&s=19

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wound up using a guide for the Elden Ring endings and a few of the sidequests because I'm probably not going to play it again for at least a good few years and there's a lot you can lock yourself out of.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Harrow posted:

Just looking at this story and doing a :psyduck:

At least nobody has been arrested today for alleged penguin-related "crimes".

https://twitter.com/CPMountains/status/1514252073969360901

Son of a bitch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PantsBandit posted:

I really doubt most people would do multiple runs of DS2. It's overlong and poorly paced.

I've finished it like three or four times

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Sakurazuka posted:

I've finished it like three or four times

Hence the word most.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think I’ve finished it once, only Souls game I’ve never beat just always lose interest once I get through that area with the pirates

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I really doubt most people would do multiple runs of DS2. It's overlong and poorly paced.

I've done like 7

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Demon’s Souls: 7 times
Dark Souls: 8 times
Dark Souls 2: 0 times
Dark Souls 3: 5 times
Sekiro: 6 times
Elden Ring: 2 times

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If anything Dks2 is one of the best to replay. The opening is wide open, the covenants are the best, the build variety is insane, there's actual changes on Ng+

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

If anything Dks2 is one of the best to replay. The opening is wide open, the covenants are the best, the build variety is insane, there's actual changes on Ng+

And yet it is also overly long and poorly paced.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
That area with the pirates is technically optional if you want. Just skip it. If something sucks, hit da bricks!

Although you will miss an opportunity to WHEEL AND DEAL.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It's ok to like a game and still be aware of the issues it has. DS2 has about a billion bosses and most of them are lame and forgettable. There are too many zones and many of them don't feel that interesting or fun to progress through.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

PantsBandit posted:

It's ok to like a game and still be aware of the issues it has. DS2 has about a billion bosses and most of them are lame and forgettable. There are too many zones and many of them don't feel that interesting or fun to progress through.

You're thinking of... ELDEN RING gottem

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I should give DS 2 a shot again. I've always fallen off of Souls games due to stressing out easily, but 2 was the most interesting to me.

Edit: Elden Ring looks really cool and seems to be less stressful, so maybe I'll give that a shot as well.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 13, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

You're thinking of... ELDEN RING gottem

I'd be curious to see how many healthbar bosses Elden Ring has in comparison to DS2 bc I would be willing to bet DS2 handily outstrips Elden Ring in that regard.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The sound that plays when the name of a new area pops up on screen
is
sexy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I'd be curious to see how many healthbar bosses Elden Ring has in comparison to DS2 bc I would be willing to bet DS2 handily outstrips Elden Ring in that regard.

:raise:
Definitely not?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Elden Ring needed an equivalent of the rat covenant to let me be a freaky little prick to people.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Don't tell me you don't see it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I'm gonna ballpark Elden Ring somewhere around like, 150-200 health bar bosses(?) depending on how you want to count duplicates and 'palette-swaps'.

DS1 has ~25 I think, and the wiki says DS2 has 32 not counting DLCs.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

:raise:
Definitely not?

Yeah you're probably right but that just goes to show how poorly paced DS2 is because I felt like I was fighting a boss every 20 minutes. To the point where they stopped feeling at all significant.

Haven't felt that in Elden Ring despite it having a lot of bosses. Probably because the pacing of taking on bosses is up to the player instead of just having the constant DS2 loop of dungeon>boss>dungeon>boss.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm revisiting the older games after beating elden ring and they really hosed something up with the ds1 remaster. I sort of expected the framerate stuff that happens here and there but sometimes inputs just get delayed by a whole lot. Like button press -> nothing happens and I move around some -> input resolves.

Also O&S do not really hold up. Their horrendous boss run always disqualified them from being a good boss but the encounter is pretty unengaging and jank looking at it now. They're still cool, at least. I'm looking forward to the ds2 revisit more bc it's generally the better game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Elden ring getting rid of boss runs is delish

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never minded boss runs tbh, but I also don't mind that they're gone

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
DS2 has some great design but it’s got the worst feeling PvE in the whole series. More or less every weapon impact boils down to “a whump noise happened, the enemy twitched a little, an HP bar showed up”.

It was a small step down from DeS and DS1, but then Bloodborne was the next one and they took the combat feedback, cranked the intensity to 11, and then broke the dial. DS3, Sekiro, and Elden Ring all benefit from that evolution a ton.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Boss runs are cool when doing them fast or well is like a puzzle to solve

so mostly DS2 boss runs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Elden Ring has around 170 "boss healthbar shows up" boss encounters and almost none of them are truly unique. Seriously, even ones that feel like they should be. I think the total number of bosses who are truly unique--as in you never fight a variant on them elsewhere or encounter them as a normal enemy--is approximately nine or ten, depending on if you count a unique second phase for Godfrey.

Personally the boss repeats didn't bother me for the most part, and I even liked some of them (seeing Margit/Morgott appear multiple times felt like a narratively appropriate recurring boss, for example), but if we're talking about having tons and tons of interchangeable bosses, Elden Ring blows DS2 out of the water.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 13, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I prefer how DS2 plays to BB

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

Elden Ring has around 170 "boss healthbar shows up" boss encounters and almost none of them are truly unique. Seriously, even ones that feel like they should be. I think the total number of bosses who are truly unique--as in you never fight a variant on them elsewhere or encounter them as a normal enemy--is approximately eight or nine, depending on if you count a unique second phase for Godfrey.

Personally the boss repeats didn't bother me for the most part, and I even liked some of them (seeing Margit/Morgott appear multiple times felt like a narratively appropriate recurring boss, for example), but if we're talking about having tons and tons of interchangeable bosses, Elden Ring blows DS2 out of the water.

Yeah but there are still a shitload of different boss archetypes, even if they're used multiple times. And for the most part they're reused well - the variants usually shake things up enough that it doesn't feel like you're fighting the same thing again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Relax Or DIE posted:

Also O&S do not really hold up. Their horrendous boss run always disqualified them from being a good boss but the encounter is pretty unengaging and jank looking at it now.

yikes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
DS2 plays like a knockoff of DS1. Like how I imagine Lords of the Fallen plays

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stev posted:

Yeah but there are still a shitload of different boss archetypes, even if they're used multiple times. And for the most part they're reused well - the variants usually shake things up enough that it doesn't feel like you're fighting the same thing again.

Oh yeah, that's why I didn't really mind it. There's like 60-70 different boss types in the game, which is quite a lot, and most of the time the reuse makes sense and is done well. The only ones that I didn't like were Godskin Duo, only because it was part of the main path and I didn't think a boss was actually necessary there in the first place, and Mohg under the capital, though I guess it makes a certain amount of sense that he'd be able to appear in multiple places just like this brother. Even seeing Astel repeated wasn't too bad, because of the implication that Astels are just a type of being that exist in space and not necessarily one specific entity.

Also I forgot one boss in my count of unique bosses so it's more like nine or ten.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
personally I found the chance I'd have a good time after the boss music starts playing to be under 50% in elden ring

so many bosses are just, something you kill in five hits because you found it way too late, or something you've already fought, or something clearly not designed for the terrain they placed it in, or two enemies jammed together without any rhyme or reason, ignoring everything that makes multi-enemy bosses good. And the bosses that did actually have care and effort put into them felt like they were breaking established patterns of souls boss design just to make them challenging for vets, rather than because it's actually fun to have a boss hold their attack for ten seconds and then spam out a freestyle combo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

DS2 plays like a knockoff of DS1. Like how I imagine Lords of the Fallen plays

Hey now, there's no reason to compare anything to Lords of the Fallen, we can be civil here

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Godskin duo would've been much better if you fought the critical path versions of them earlier. As it was I just thought 'these guys again?'

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

personally I found the chance I'd have a good time after the boss music starts playing to be under 50% in elden ring

so many bosses are just, something you kill in five hits because you found it way too late, or something you've already fought, or something clearly not designed for the terrain they placed it in, or two enemies jammed together without any rhyme or reason, ignoring everything that makes multi-enemy bosses good. And the bosses that did actually have care and effort put into them felt like they were breaking established patterns of souls boss design just to make them challenging for vets, rather than because it's actually fun to have a boss hold their attack for ten seconds and then spam out a freestyle combo

This is sorta of why Im hoping there's a decent break before they pursue another souls project. It feels like they're constantly running up against just a wall in the keeping-it-tough arms race and what they've landed on a lot of the time is kind of lame. they seemed to have much more success when they so bb/sekiro side projects and have more freedom to alter the underlying rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Elden Ring has a tendency to throw enemies from anywhere to “you’ll see them in an hour or two” (Pumpkinhead) to “technically it’s a generic enemy but not really” (Crucible Knights) as bosses and I don’t know why exactly I don’t mind it besides my puny gamer brain getting an ego trip from beating up old bosses when they become later enemies and reseeing old content like my third demihumam Queen but it’s okay with me.

…that said, there’s definitely an issue where the game just throws generic enemies as bosses only the enemy is pretty weak in some easy way.