Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

kliras posted:

techpowerup's comparative benchmarks are awesome for this

or this if you want to normalize for the 3070

Awesome, thanks. Yeah, looks like the 3070 is a big upgrade. Now I just have to find the fortitude to drop the $800 on the new card and the initiative to get the 5700 up on ebay while people are still shelling out for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can get the 3070 for cheaper than $800. The cheapest on newegg right now is $700, but if you wait a bit you will likely find it for less. edit: the $700 model went out of stock as soon as I posted this so maybe ~$720 for the ftw3 is as good as we'll see for a bit.

The 5700 XT was uncommonly good at mining for its price and power consumption, which is why it sells for so much on Ebay. At its peak, it averaged over $1100. You could sell it, buy a 6700 XT instead, and have a lot of money left over. Those days are long over though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 11, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's just a single-fan model and it probably won't last long, but here's a 3060 for under $400: https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-rtx-3060-ph-rtx3060-12g-v2/p/N82E16814126532

edit: already out of stock, which figures. asus is the only company to have heavily reduced prices in response to the lifting of tariffs, and they only price a select few models cheaply that don't seem to see much volume.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 11, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sent my 2080 out for RMA, I posted here wondering if I might get a step up. I just got shipment confirmation and it looks like they are sending me a 2080ti as replacement, which is awesome.

I was aggravated when I purchased it because the SUPER series was released loving minutes outside the step up window. This makes up for that

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

codo27 posted:

Sent my 2080 out for RMA, I posted here wondering if I might get a step up. I just got shipment confirmation and it looks like they are sending me a 2080ti as replacement, which is awesome.

That's really cool, yeah. Effectively a 3070 with slightly slower RT but faster / more everything else. Nice free upgrade.

I was thinking of picking up a used 2080Ti in that 3-4 week window between the 30xx release and before the shortages became apparent. I was greedy and waited for them to drop to $450 or below, could've had them for $500-600ish easily enough. But who knew?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

v1ld posted:

That's really cool, yeah. Effectively a 3070 with slightly slower RT but faster / more everything else. Nice free upgrade.

I was thinking of picking up a used 2080Ti in that 3-4 week window between the 30xx release and before the shortages became apparent. I was greedy and waited for them to drop to $450 or below, could've had them for $500-600ish easily enough. But who knew?

God drat imagine being one of the people who panic-sold their 2080Tis for 500-600 in that few weeks, brutal

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

people itt were gloating about how much they had sold their 20 series cards before we found out how bad supply for Ampere was going to be

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Welp, MSI increased their prices slightly. The MSI Ventus 3060 Ti that was $569 is now $589. Their 3080 10GB went from $969 to $999. There are probably other small price hikes.

Gotta say, not what I was hoping to see.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is crypto spiking or something?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
:lol: if prices spike again and iSanek has to honor my 3080 10GB off backorder for $1350 CAD all-in.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

With inflation numbers about to go parabolic everyone who cant dump cash into real estate just buys GPUs

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Crypto was up for a few weeks but it's going back down right now, and the hash rate has been stable which means that miners are still not buying GPUs in huge quantities for the time being. Basically, a number of miners seem to believe the chances of proof of stake happening soon is actually higher than it has been in the past, so they're holding off on any big purchases.

Though with how fragile the GPU market remains, any number of small factors can cause fluctuations in prices. I'd only start ringing the alarm bells if other companies start following suit and we start seeing more price hikes.

edit: I'm also seeing some good deals on Amazon show up still. That $699 Asus Tuf Gaming 3070 Ti is still up (though it's a bit backordered), and there's a $650 EVGA XC3 3070, both of which are better deals than anything on Newegg. Even Zotac has been lowering some prices on amazon and their own site (but not newegg). So I think things are still headed in a positive direction? It's just that price change for MSI's Ventus 2X models that's a bit puzzling to me.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 12, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I imagine the lockdowns in Shanghai disrupting shipping might also be a factor.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any suggestions how to set the GPU fan curve to avoid the fans intermittently turning on and off as the temperature goes above and below the minimum threshold? I thought the temperature hysteresis setting might get rid of them, but even set to 10C that didn't make a difference.

RPM over time plot

This doesn't happen with the stock curve.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Last GPU buy was a 2070 back right before they introduced the 2070S, through the EVGA "give us your 780Ti and get a discount on a new card" thing. Then the 2060S came out and had pretty much identical performance to the 2070, while costing about what I paid with the trade-in toward the 2070. Good old days before COVID and before scalpers descended en masse. I could have kept my 780Ti... oops? I dunno, it is what it is.

Just got an Asus TUF 3070 Ti from Amazon at $699, and I'm a little torn on how to feel about it. Good price compared to where it's been and where others are at right now, but will it keep dropping? Who knows. It is the price I was willing to pay. Reviews both professional and from customers seem to paint a good picture of the Asus card, and I have a couple Asus motherboards in use with almost 60k hours and 40k+ hours respectively, so I guess I trust the brand pretty well to at least be able to make some long lasting stuff. 3 year warranty, like EVGA, though EVGA is really easy to work with and I've heard mixed reviews of Asus there. :shrug:

Now to get the rest of the PC together. I'll be using the 2070 in it until the new card arrives, and honestly I still love the performance of the 2070, it's just almost out of its warranty period and given that I'm building a new comp finally I wanted to go ahead and get a fresh kit (my last, Haswell 4770k-based build was sourced in 2013-2015 and built from the box of new parts I'd been carting around in 2015, long story there involving medical issues and temporarily dropping out of existence as myself, whole thing...). I gotta get into that other thread to continue the tradition of feeling better after looking at what techie goons think is a good build right now, but it's going to be either an Alder Lake 12700k or 12900k with an absolute shitload of RAM - I've got back into music production in a serious way and some of the new badass plugins are real performance hogs, and my mixes get pretty CPU intensive - I've had to do so much freezing and bouncing with this 4770k to make my songs in the last year, so I think I might be able to justify the extra "E" cores outside of games. But I'm gettin' off topic.

If anyone remembers me from the old days, hi, hope y'all are doing great, I unfortunately have very few memories of a lot of the time I was active thanks to the aforementioned stuff I went through and it's tough but I do remember at one time being a very happy participant in SH/SC and enjoying the community of folks here.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 12, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you have a GPU right now and are happy enough with its performance, then I really do think you should just wait. Don't drop $700 on a card just to have the latest thing when there are new cards coming out in just 5 months. They'll likely be hard to get again for a few months, but with any luck it won't be nearly as much of a clusterfuck as this generation, and the rumored performance on them sounds extremely good (with some actual leaked information to back up the rumors). And the 3070 Ti, while quite a bit better than your 2070, isn't paradigm shifting or anything. So unless you have a specific performance target in mind that you can't currently reach with the 2070, I think the smarter play is to just wait.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 12, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I appreciate the advice but I am committed to building now and will be using the 3070 Ti. The 2070 will be going into my son's computer to give him nice performance boost over an old 650 Ti (already promised, doubling as a birthday present and a reward for getting 100s all semester :) last time I built a comp he was 2, time flies, now we co-op!), and the 3070 Ti is coming in at my performance target and in budget.

I may upgrade if 4000 series availability is good and there is a compelling reason to, have to evaluate that in a year or so, but I need a GPU at this time for the new build and I am satisfied with the value proposition of the 3070 Ti at $699 today.

I wonder how rumors of the 4000 series supposedly significantly higher power draw will pan out also. I bet there will be something that offers performance parity at more reasonable TDP, hopefully for a good value, like a 4050Ti or 4060, but I am hesitant personally to put a 400w+ card in a system in principle. Maybe that will have to change in future though.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 12, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
idk where you live but if you're by Best Buy could always try for FE if you want cheapest

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

v1ld posted:

The only thing I'm concerned about is I'm going from a FTW3 edition 2080 to a base XC Gaming 2080ti. I know it will win out, but by how much I'm not sure.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Too Many Birds posted:

:shepface:

So I bought an ASUS 3070 OC card from the Newegg shuffle a close to about two months ago.

About two weeks after I got everything installed, I noticed the displaying giving me artifacts that looked like this after startup (image taken from reddit)

I read that re-seating the card could fix the issue, so I did that, and the problem went away.

Well, now that I am well outside the 30 day Newegg return window, the card did it to me again this morning when I booted up the machine. I did a windows reset and the problem went away (for now). I'm running thru a gauntlet of different games right now to see if I can get it to happen again, nothing so far.

I've read that it could be a memory clock issue, or a PSU issue? Everything in the build is brand new. 750W PSU should be more than capable of giving power. Feeling real dumb that I should've just returned or exchanged it with Newegg when I had the chance but I stupidly thought the issue was resolved. I'm still within the warranty period with ASUS, but I don't want them to send me a possibly refurbed or used card if I can fix this on my own first. Should I just try to turn down the memory clock or undervolt with MSI afterburner? How would I go about doing that in a smart way?

Update to this:

I got a replacement card in the mail yesterday. Except that its the 3070 Dual. A card that has 50 MHz less clock speed and quite a few less features compared to the KO 3070 that I sent them. At first I was like "Eh whatever." because I hate RGB. But the more I stewed on it the more it bugged me that I got an objectively worse card to replace my brand new GPU that was defective right out of the factory.

So I have emailed the ASUS CEO, since this is a path they encourage customers to take. Am I making a big fuss over nothing? Is this on par for GPU replacements across the board with all the major manufacturers?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
clockspeed totally meaningless. if the cooler is worse that would bother me, though. depends on their returns policy i suppose.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

CoolCab posted:

clockspeed totally meaningless. if the cooler is worse that would bother me, though. depends on their returns policy i suppose.

KO is a 2.7 slot while the dual is well, dual slot.

KO has quieter fans, that are also SPACESHIP GRADE lubricated or something.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I wouldn't accept that. You're doing the right thing.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

They should have at least shipped the SPACESHIP GRADE LUBRICANT to you

But yeah, they didn't give you back what you paid for and instead gave you an inferior product sounds like, you definitely shouldn't accept it

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

excited for this next leg in the journey of the ASUS RMA process :)

EDIT: oh well that was quick:

quote:

We are sorry to hear that when you received your unit back from repair, it is not up to the standard we provide. We want to assure you that we can help you get this issue resolved, and that we understand the urgency.

I am going to reach out to my team about replacing that one with one more comparable to the one you have had. I will be back in touch with you with in 24 to 48 business hours.

Too Many Birds fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 12, 2022

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LRADIKAL posted:

You're just trying to get me to look up Keanu nude desktops!

Mmm....Keanudes :wiggle:

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

Rinkles posted:

Any suggestions how to set the GPU fan curve to avoid the fans intermittently turning on and off as the temperature goes above and below the minimum threshold? I thought the temperature hysteresis setting might get rid of them, but even set to 10C that didn't make a difference.

RPM over time plot

In my AMD software I have 40% fans at 40 celcius, 50% at 50, etc all the way to 80% at 80 celcius. Idles around 32 celcius (hot spot, core is currently 26c at 6am) and at ~1000 RPM or 38% RPM.

I have a liquid cooled GPU however, radiator is front mounted and my HDDs are all positioned right behind its fans so I keep the fans on 24/7 for that reason.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

overnight label already generated to ship back the GPU.

not bad.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

RPM over time plot

Argus Monitor has a lot of settings for hysteresis and maximum fan speed change/second. It also lets you attach fans to different sensors and allows you to have them change based on a last 10 second average rather than currently polled number.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah Argus has been recommended to me before and it sounds great, but I'd just rather not spend the $30 atm.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Another $999 3080 12GB, this time the EVGA FTW3: https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-12g-p5-4877-kl/p/N82E16814487553 (edit: or the XC3 model for $20 cheaper. i'd honestly just pay the extra $20 for the better cooler, though)

Or $950 for an MSI model after a promo code and mail-in rebate: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-rtx-3080-ventus-3x-plus-12g-oc-lhr/p/N82E16814137712?Item=N82E16814137712

There's no reason to get a 10GB when 12GB cards exist for the same price. Also, now I'm not really sure what's going on with MSI's pricing. Seems all over the place.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 13, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Are there any glaring problems with https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3080-VENTUS-3X-PLUS-12G-LHR/Overview ? I heard fan noise under load isn't great.

My current GPU is a 1070 MSI Seahawk, so although I'd miss out on EVGA service, the fact remains that's a 12GB card for ~$1580 CAD I could have today vs a 10GB for $1350 CAD that's on back order into next week with a supplier I barely know.

e: gently caress it, EVGA 12GB FTW3 for $1900 CAD all in :shepspends:

e2: After placing that order, EVGA's site put the card up for $999 USD. First one was pay on pickup, so I cancelled and now have one on the way from the man himself for significantly cheaper even if I get slammed with tax and duties at the border.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 13, 2022

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Are there any glaring problems with https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3080-VENTUS-3X-PLUS-12G-LHR/Overview ? I heard fan noise under load isn't great.

My current GPU is a 1070 MSI Seahawk, so although I'd miss out on EVGA service, the fact remains that's a 12GB card for ~$1580 CAD I could have today vs a 10GB for $1350 CAD that's on back order into next week with a supplier I barely know.

e: gently caress it, EVGA 12GB FTW3 for $1900 CAD all in :shepspends:

e2: After placing that order, EVGA's site put the card up for $999 USD. First one was pay on pickup, so I cancelled and now have one on the way from the man himself for significantly cheaper even if I get slammed with tax and duties at the border.

A friend of mine ordered a card directly from EVGA around the time the Ampere launch happened and he said he only got dinged for the normal taxes Canada and our province would have charged on the original price. No special duties or import fees. Hopefully it's the same for you.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Yeah Argus has been recommended to me before and it sounds great, but I'd just rather not spend the $30 atm.

Consider it a part of your computer budget. People are willing to spend hundreds on cooling, but nothing to control it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Well I spent $33 on my cpu cooler. (Dual tower, it was a good deal)

Plus a few arctic p12s.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hemish posted:

A friend of mine ordered a card directly from EVGA around the time the Ampere launch happened and he said he only got dinged for the normal taxes Canada and our province would have charged on the original price. No special duties or import fees. Hopefully it's the same for you.
Nice! At this point I'm more worried about UPS than CBSA.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My replacement was picked up in Anaheim from EVGA on Monday and is already in Quebec, coming UPS

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Shumagorath posted:

Nice! At this point I'm more worried about UPS than CBSA.

I ordered from them recently and only got sales tax + a $10 import handling fee. Apparently you only get the crazy import fees if you use the cheapest UPS tier, which EVGA no longer offers for Canadian orders.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Edit: they're gone, oops

change my name fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q3DH7V3/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce...7-553-_-Product

Been able to "Add to Cart" for the last 30 minutes as of 3:50pm EST time.

Amazon one is a 100bux more and from a 3rd party but the one selling it is pretty reliable for tech stuff, from what I understand.