Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Bible posted:

The MF stands for

This is King of the Hill's "Sneed's Feed and Seed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
I second the non-meat based taco should be flour with meat based being corn. A bean and cheese, which is a good staple to judge any taco joint by, just is not right in corn (unless you like finger painting with your food). However, an Al Pastor on flour is just not right and you're just doing yourself wrong.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is fish taco meat or not meat

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is fish taco meat or not meat

The meatier the better imo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did Taco Bell ever make a taco where the shell was chicken breast?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did Taco Bell ever make a taco where the shell was chicken breast?

You know it. (Yes)

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Was it this thread where we argued if burritos were dumplings?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Was it this thread where we argued if burritos were dumplings?

That's every thread

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Another Bill posted:

I seeded an XCOM team with King of the Hill names and it's breaking my loving heart, man. John Redcorn and Dale Gribble are my super teamup though.

I remember XCOM 1 and 2 having some pretty great voice pack mods available, and I am outraged that there isn't a King of the Hill option out there yet.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

My Lutefisk! Wheres my lutefisk!

Its was right here, right next to the frito pie and the frito pie!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Arson Daily posted:

Lol at anyone from Texas claiming to be an authority on Tex-mex or Mexican food

I'm a California-to-Texas transplant, so I have perspective. Tex-Mex and Mexican are as different as Chinese and French; two utterly different cuisines. I'm blessed to live in a town that does both very, very well, and I eat both as often as I can get away with (Tex-Mex is especially unhealthy). As a semi-outsider, I will tell you that Texans and Texicans do Tex-Mex way, way better than Californians, as a rule. Mexican is probably a draw.

Pro tip: next time you're eating Mexican (not Tex-Mex), ask for pineapple soda. They always have it, and it's often not on the menu. If you've never had it, it will change your worldview.

I live really close to New Mexico, and that's a whole 'nuther ballgame. Cuisine alters radically when crossing the border into both New Mexico and Louisiana. I'm really, really lucky to have access to all three states' menus.

Extra-double-bonus: my hometown has a HUGE Vietnamese population, so that's one more cuisine I get to eat any time I want. They really understand the concept of spiciness; it's a flavor, not a goal.

I don't know why I don't weight 300 pounds.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Another Bill posted:

I seeded an XCOM team with King of the Hill names and it's breaking my loving heart, man. John Redcorn and Dale Gribble are my super teamup though.

That's a Gribble of an idea!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

drunk mutt posted:

I second the non-meat based taco should be flour with meat based being corn. A bean and cheese, which is a good staple to judge any taco joint by, just is not right in corn (unless you like finger painting with your food). However, an Al Pastor on flour is just not right and you're just doing yourself wrong.

Those are exactly the two tacos I was thinking of.

Also you wouldn’t want a breakfast taco on corn.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Lincoln posted:

Pro tip: next time you're eating Mexican (not Tex-Mex), ask for pineapple soda. They always have it, and it's often not on the menu. If you've never had it, it will change your worldview.

Are you talking about Tepache or just a bottle of Jarritos pineapple? There is a big difference.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Mexico is a large country with many culinary traditions. The options aren't "mexican" and "tex-mex". Tex-mex is different from Cal-mex is different from Oaxacan is different from Yucatan, etc.

Also, a lot of places in America used to be part of Mexico so the narrative that "tex-mex" is fundamentally un-mexican is, at best, absurdly racist.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Also, a lot of places in America used to be part of Mexico so the narrative that "tex-mex" is fundamentally un-mexican is, at best, absurdly racist.

"Tex mex is native american cuisine", I posted on the internet, eruditely.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

so the narrative that "tex-mex" is fundamentally un-mexican is, at best, absurdly racist.

How long after the land was annexed was it created? Did the people that created it move there from other parts of the US? If we annexed Toronto and I moved there whatever I make would not be authentic Canadian food.

I have shamefully little knowledge on this subject but a quick google research suggests it came out 40 years after Texas was annexed hard to call that authentic unless there's some deep history I missed in my quick research.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Mexico is a large country with many culinary traditions. The options aren't "mexican" and "tex-mex". Tex-mex is different from Cal-mex is different from Oaxacan is different from Yucatan, etc.

Mexican isn’t a race you racist. Way to otherize a diverse nation with many different ethnicities.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pixaal posted:

How long after the land was annexed was it created? Did the people that created it move there from other parts of the US? If we annexed Toronto and I moved there whatever I make would not be authentic Canadian food.

I have shamefully little knowledge on this subject but a quick google research suggests it came out 40 years after Texas was annexed hard to call that authentic unless there's some deep history I missed in my quick research.

holy poo poo this is stupid

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Thread taking a hard swerve into presidential territory

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Speaking of Pineapple soda, my wife is half-Portuguese, and holy poo poo, pineapple Sumol is delicious.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

holy poo poo this is stupid

That was the point, I put as much effort into it as the person I was replying to

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

pixaal posted:

That was the point, I put as much effort into it as the person I was replying to

Try going the other way and leaning into the absurdity of clutching pearls over what type of cuisine a taco is if you put cheese on it.

naem
May 29, 2011

I hope that canada annexes us and gives me free health care

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

naem posted:

This would be lovely!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

naem posted:

But then you'll have to suffer through Can-Tex-Mex. The tortillas are made from government subsidized rapeseed!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Another Bill posted:

But then you'll have to suffer through Can-Tex-Mex. The tortillas are made from government subsidized rapeseed!

California wet burrito but it is poutine gravy instead of salsa :stonk:

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

How do you feel about Israeli vs Palestinian food?

naem
May 29, 2011

Nooner posted:

I would eat a poutine-rito

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Nooner posted:

"Huh, hey Peggy! It says here that Davy Crockett became enamored with the cheese curd in 1830 when a Canadian minister came to Congress to protest a maple syrup tariff! Apparently the third to last words he spoke were 'I wish I had some cheese curds right now.' History sure is something."

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

All posts about Mexico are parsed with Peggy's voice

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I take Mexican vs tex mex very seriously and I want to be humbled by Peggy Hill reading a history of the cuisines in Espanol.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I want a puffy taco

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

zedprime posted:

I take Mexican vs tex mex very seriously and I want to be humbled by Peggy Hill reading a history of the cuisines in Espanol.

Did you know Hank, Tex Mex is short for Texto Mehican, which is Spanish for textbook Mexican? That means my fajitas are really 'by the book'.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

I want a puffy taco

Ride a horse without stirrups

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Believe me, I prayed on it, and God said to me, "Don't post that." But you know what? I knew better.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Another Bill posted:

BWAAAAA!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kalli posted:

All posts about Mexico are parsed with Peggy's voice

MAY-he-co.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/oNKfARFkdTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Someone in the comments posted "Luanne, I can see your... what nots", but that's a line from him to Peggy, right? I haven't seen it in forever, and while that line is burned into my brain, I'm wondering if I'm just misremembering it and have been for years.

Either way, he doesn't actually say that in this clip. Wish I could stream this show in Canada :argh: