Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
If Klee and Yoimiya don't blow something up in the final quest of this event I will be furious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Ive always liked the story in these events so Ive never understood the complaint that theres too much story :v:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A new soundtrack came out today out of nowhere! It has more of the Inazuma music including Senkai, Tsurumi and Watatsumi islands and Enkanomiya!

Most importantly it has this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sMzuC4Yza0

Mix. posted:

Ive always liked the story in these events so Ive never understood the complaint that theres too much story :v:

It's not too much story, just too many :words:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 13, 2022

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Don't get between mushroom man and his mushroom meats :catstare:

Glad I waited until next weapon banner was leaked before wishing on this current one. 1 year in seems like the point where you get silly ideas like wishing on a weapon banner for some saucy hot favonius weapons and maybe a mistsplitter who knows. Any 5* that's not skyward spine would be excellent.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mix. posted:

Stare-Out posted:

It's not too much story, just too many :words:

While I would not turn my nose at the quantity of words being compressed into a denser cube of higher quality, I'm appreciating what's here already, because there's definitely no reason you'll ever see Albedo and Yae Miko interacting with each other for another 16 months.

Sanctum posted:

Glad I waited until next weapon banner was leaked before wishing on this current one. 1 year in seems like the point where you get silly ideas like wishing on a weapon banner for some saucy hot favonius weapons and maybe a mistsplitter who knows. Any 5* that's not skyward spine would be excellent.

Just be like me and do the weapon banner for those sweet juicy 4* weapons that they can't cheat you out of. If you happen to get a 5* that you'll use then, score! Still can't believe I got Eula's sword. That was back on the first banner before they gave you a way to target which one you wanted too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I will mention sumeru is coming up and we're likely to get at least 4 back to back banners after 2.8 (4 months from now). So while to me this is a super fun weapon banner keep an eye out for your stash.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

In reference to worrying that there are too many cultural references for the western audience to get it...please remember king of the hill was reasonably popular in Japan :v: I think people will be fine

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If these events referenced King of the Hill I would probably read more of the text.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I spent my entire hoard getting Yae, Kagura's Verity for Yae, and Ayato. And I've switched from being a tiny dolphin to F2P. My fate will be up to the whims of RNG for awhile.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

If these events referenced King of the Hill I would probably read more of the text.

That would unironically own

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xun posted:

In reference to worrying that there are too many cultural references for the western audience to get it...please remember king of the hill was reasonably popular in Japan :v: I think people will be fine

We should really figure out another way to look up information about this internet-connected video game instead of having to go to a library for every single word that doesn't register immediately.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

Yeah, that's pretty presumptuous.

I've seen a good amount of discourse on twitter of people pointing out puns and other interesting linguistic oddities that can be found in the different translations. So it's not like it's being ignored if a bunch of youtubers and their respective teenage audience might not care. The audience isn't really a monolith, even if some popular internet discussion boards might be.
The audience is a bit more diverse in its interests than it's most visible and loudest representatives.

Take this for example:

Someone talking about chinese number puns for the new rainbow aster drink that is being sold:
https://twitter.com/Childe_txt/status/1513042676102225925
4000 retweets. 20000 likes.
This is not an important thing. But a surprising amount of people still care for it.

Someone talking about Yun Jins opera and sharing their impressions about the culture behind it:
https://twitter.com/dokihrt/status/1481095762365018115?cxt=HHwWhsDTofWv9I0pAAAA
This is an account that has 2000 followers. Probably had a lot less before that tweet.
Again, high numbers of retweets and likes throughout.
This stuff is out ther and it spreads, even when the people that are starting to talk about it aren't big names. And it spreads because people are interested and have fun with this stuff.

Here's a youtube channel where someone makes a 10 minute video just telling people how to pronounce liyue names in mandarin. 700.000 views. Many more than most of her other videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGEegOgq8qE

There's so much of this stuff out there and it's super popular and finds a wide reception.
They aren't really underestimating their audience.

I almost never get to see this sort of stuff so thats pretty interesting actually. I'd qualify the opera scene as one of the easily understood sorts or things though that they'd be smart to do more of. You're sitting and watching a music video. People generally love insert songs and quasi emotional stuff in the anime scene I've noticed.

Mailer posted:

This event:

"Oh hey, Klee is here!"
*hours and hours of mashing through dialog, including two story quests because they only let you skip day one of the requirements*
"Well that sure was some gems for mashing circle while watching netflix for two whole movies!"

Good work, Inazuma writers!

Thats the sort of stuff I typically see however.

Stare-Out posted:

This whole event is like a Kale post.

Or that. Rooted in cynicism and making it personal.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 13, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the hardest content in the game is the hangouts. Has anyone here unlocked them and finished them all? I have 3 1/2 left.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

still recovering from how bad the Noelle ones were tbh

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They're brutal. I've done them all because if I didnt I would dread doing them. I've enjoyed maybe two endings out of all of them (Diona's funny ending and one of Bennett's). I know some people like them.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Bobby Hill - Underrated 4 star?

If his E isn't shouting "THATS MY PURSE! I DONT KNOW YOU!" we riot

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Bobby Hill - Underrated 4 star?

If his E isn't shouting "THATS MY PURSE! I DONT KNOW YOU!" we riot
Propane tank skin for Sayu's burst when?

Kale
May 14, 2010

I kind of rest my earlier case with the last page or so posts. Even the suggestion of reading stuff gets people complaining and sharing stories of the things they hated reading the most. :colbert:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

skins are being discontinued before they accidentally make one for a male character

tread-softly
May 31, 2013
I was going to say that I liked the more recent hangouts before remembering that Ningguang and Beidou’s actually made them like them less.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Mix. posted:

Same. It's a breath of fresh air compared to just grinding the same 4+4, 3+3+3 quests every day/week. I could do 3 very talky festivals back to back and it still wouldn't compare to that month's genshin grind of dailies and weeklies. It's nice being able to take in the scenery and remember old areas I explored. Even the quests where you are just running political notes back and forth do a nice job of coloring in the differences between societies and cultures in various regions.

The recent political drama in Inazuma feels different than the scheming of scammers and ambitious merchants in Liyue. They both care about face and etiquette, but the Inazuman people's focus on propriety casts things in a different light. Even when you zoom in to the level of the little farming village with all the retired people with a buried magitek dungeon nearby, the character of life feels distinct.

EDIT

Hikachu posted:

I was going to say that I liked the more recent hangouts before remembering that Ningguang and Beidou’s actually made them like them less.

I seem to remember being a little troubled by the quest where you and Beidou are collecting jade chamber bits and some treasure hoarders ask for a token payment for their work gathering a bunch of the stuff up. Seemed pretty nasty to laugh and beat them up when they weren't actually standing in our way at all. Sure, this lady is a pirate working for a billionaire, but I'd hope the traveler would at least have a token "don't be a jerk" dialog choice.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 13, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kale posted:

I kind of rest my earlier case with the last page or so posts. Even the suggestion of reading stuff gets people complaining and sharing stories of the things they hated reading the most. :colbert:
I hate reading... your posts.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
More Klee and Itto. Less trying to find critters with the camera.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Kale posted:

It would be fine if the dialogue didn't run around in circles for 10 minutes to say something that could be condensed into like 5 minutes or less. There's a lot of meandering and flavorless prose.

The actual story content is usually cool and fun but it's so drat dense to get to the point a lot of the time.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the one nice thing about hangouts is paimon usually isn't involved

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

padijun posted:

that's the worst part

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

padijun posted:

I wouldn't let Paimon talk to my friends either

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm just going to start some of them tonight because my issue with Noelle was entirely the annoying romantic undercurrent they want to put in some of the paths, and she's not a particularly engaging character otherwise.

i don't imagine there's as much room to do that with other characters but they could always unpleasantly surprise me :)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I forgot, Gorou has a very good ending. Definitely my favorite.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I do the hangouts the second they're available because I don't want them piling up. Some of them are fun but I don't expect them to be.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I forgot, Gorou has a very good ending. Definitely my favorite.

I'll do his next. thanks

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I usually put the hangouts off until I feel like paying a bit more attention. They're a day off kinda thing, not a lunchbreak or de-stressing from work kinda thing. Definitely looking forward to Gorou, I saw some fun spoilers about that one on Twitter. I think I'm sitting on about 6 hangouts undone, but there's a decent chance I'll clear 2-3 once I get around to exploring inside the Chasm.

They've been fun so far. I was particularly impressed that they made an exception to the reward structure in Diona's so you don't actually have to do the stealth section if you just want 100% of the rewards. I still finished it, was a neat little diversion while I caught up on my video essays, but I do appreciate the gesture.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

padijun posted:

Agreed. We need more content where Paimon's presence doesn't render the MC's existence superflous.

I'm not a game designer so I might be missing something obvious, but I don't get the logic behind having a main character that has no personality and also no way for you to project your own personality through them (in a way that the game responds to), while simultaneously having an NPC character there who only exists to do all the interacting and personality projection that in most games the MC (and/or player) does. Like I can see a use case for a silent protagonist even if I don't like them much, but I think the whole point is defeated when you instead replace it with an omnipresent loudmouth NPC who does nothing but talk all day.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Hangouts are the thing I'm furthest behind on cause I admit they dont entirely do it for me. In Japan they dont even make pretense of it and just call them date events. Some are a bit amusing like the Noelle one, others like Chongyun I'm not so sure.

No Wave posted:

I hate reading... your posts.

I hate reading posts that contain no content like yours or stare-outs. :raise:

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 13, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AG3 posted:

Agreed. We need more content where Paimon's presence doesn't render the MC's existence superflous.

Replace the MC with Paimon entirely instead

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Andrast posted:

It would make a lot more sense than what we have now, at least.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
When we uncover the true mystery of Paimon, she will evolve into her final form and will be the new (extra expensive) 6 star banner.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Andrast posted:

already happened, 95% of quest content is paimon talking to forgettable NPCs

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

padijun posted:

already happened, 95% of quest content is paimon talking to forgettable NPCs

And the other 5% is Paimon talking to forgettable PCs! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

If the Traveler gets cutscene KOed in the next region and the game transitions fully into the Paimon power hour, I don't think I'd mind. Would definitely create some writing challenges with the earlier content, though. I expect the traveler is here to stay.