Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Neat! Linking the SAMart thread here, mostly for my own reference when I get off work so I can order: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594506&perpage=40&noseen=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I bought a 1z K-Max grinder and it is hilariously large and heavy.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

other people posted:

I bought a 1z K-Max grinder and it is hilariously large and heavy.

I too got this and it's awesome

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I haven't used it yet but seriously is it not possible to make a good grinder that is say 1/3 of this size? It looks like it is trying to be some military-grade thing I could drop out of an airplane and still use but I just want to grind up some beans without a lot of dust. It's almost as big as our mokapot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They do sell travel grinders. It won't be good for espresso.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

other people posted:

I haven't used it yet but seriously is it not possible to make a good grinder that is say 1/3 of this size? It looks like it is trying to be some military-grade thing I could drop out of an airplane and still use but I just want to grind up some beans without a lot of dust. It's almost as big as our mokapot.

my travel grinder is an aergrind, which is designed to fit neatly inside an aeropress. the tradeoff is always burr size, which does affect grind quality but also, maybe more important for a manual grinder, speed. the aergrind is much faster than a ceramic burr grinder like a hario but it still takes a solid minute of cranking to grind through a hopperfull of beans

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Capacity as well. If you're never grinding more than like 15g of coffee, having the space on the top and bottom for 30-40g is wasted space.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

today I learned the impact of different filter papers. I just used the papers that was packed with the v60 drip decanter from factory, and after those ran out I had to buy new ones. I ended up with the tabbed (?) japanese papers from Hario that comes in a bag of 100, and even though I used the exact same grind setting and procedure for a single cup 18g/300g brew as with the old filters, the coffee today tastes slightly under extracted. I think I saw that the drawdown went a bit quicker as well. not that I'm complaining, because that means I can finally grind a bit finer for the v60, and I also have an excuse to whip up a second cup for the day later on

ulvir fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 14, 2022

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Gaggia Classic update:

Got some fresher, medium roasted espresso blends. I disassembled and cleaned my Lido E and did a burr alignment. I also cobbled together a pressure tester…the thread on the spout is 3/8 NPT, so a 3/8 NPT to 1/4 inch pipe adapter plus a cheap pressure gauge works fine.

Stock pressure was about 11.5 bar, after I turned the OPV down to 9 the shots tasted a lot less harsh. I also got a VST basket. The coffee has improved dramatically. Next upgrades will be a PID and bottomless porta filter.

I’m still chasing consistent perfect shots but the milk drinks I’ve made have been as good as anything I’ve ever had. And the process is not as tiresome as I thought it would be. Temp surfing is the biggest pain in the rear end.

When should I start my timer? Right when I flip the switch? When the pump starts to sound labored? When liquid comes out?

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 14, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Would love some advice.

Not looking to spend any money, and get the best results I can.

At work we have a Bodum pour over, and a cheap generic gooseneck, and access to hot water.

At home I have an Encore grinder (calibrated to finest setting, used for espresso, grinds espresso around 10) nice light roasted beans, and #4 paper filters.

Since I can’t gently caress with my grind much in the moment, and weighing water won’t be an option, how do I optimize without spending anything? Ideal workflow is grind at home, then bring paper filter and wing it with volumetric measurements for the water.

The thing I’m most unsure about is grind size and bean/water ratio.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

First thought is to drop $15 on a cheap coffee scale so at least you can be empirical in your attempts

Second thought is to steal the Bodum and gooseneck for a weekend so you can dial in at home, but then you better be first in the office Monday so it's not missed

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I don't know much about dialing your Encore in for espresso. Are you saying you can't change from the current setting because it will throw off the grind size if you dial back to 10? If so I'm not sure how much success you're going to get doing a pourover with an espresso grind.

As for ratios, I typically stick with something around 1g/ml of water : 15g of coffee, but that doesn't have to bet set in stone. If you have a clear water bottle you don't care about maybe you can weigh weigh like 300g/300ml (or however much you need) of water at home and mark where that is on the bottle, but you're going to lose a lot of heat transferring hot water into the bottle, then into a gooseneck. You might just have to try that once to see where the water level sits in the gooseneck and see if you can use something in the kettle to ballpark it. Does it have a min/max line?

The Postman fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 15, 2022

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Would love some advice.

Not looking to spend any money, and get the best results I can.

At work we have a Bodum pour over, and a cheap generic gooseneck, and access to hot water.

At home I have an Encore grinder (calibrated to finest setting, used for espresso, grinds espresso around 10) nice light roasted beans, and #4 paper filters.

Since I can’t gently caress with my grind much in the moment, and weighing water won’t be an option, how do I optimize without spending anything? Ideal workflow is grind at home, then bring paper filter and wing it with volumetric measurements for the water.

The thing I’m most unsure about is grind size and bean/water ratio.

Your grind is probably too fine for normal pour over. It will choke and/or overextract. But if you brew with a lot less water, like 1:8 or something (like 130 grams of water for 16 grams of beans), you can probably get a very strong but properly extracted pour over that you can then dilute with hot water.

Weigh grinds at home and put them in dosed containers if you want to be that particular. If you can measure the volume of water, that’s as good as measuring the weight of it. Brew with 4.5 oz water, dilute, enjoy. If you can’t measure volume, you could probably get the feel for how high up into the cone you pour, then time the drawdown, and after like 2 minutes of brewing remove the dropper and throw out whatever is still in the cone because it will be

You’ll definitely have to experiment with the amount of water and beans but it should dial in without too much trouble. Too sour, more water. Too bitter/astringent, less water.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sorry for not being clear.

I mean I can’t easily make quick adjustments and try again as my grinder is at home and the brewer at work, and I have no idea where to start grind settings wise on my encore. I can definitely change the grind setting.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Sorry for not being clear.

I mean I can’t easily make quick adjustments and try again as my grinder is at home and the brewer at work, and I have no idea where to start grind settings wise on my encore. I can definitely change the grind setting.

If you're making espresso at 10 on an encore, pourover is probably going to be near the top of the range. An immersion brew like a french press or clever dripper might be a bit easier to pull off, especially since it won't be as dependent on getting the grind dialed in. For water, either bring a scale or measuring cup, or any cup of known volume, to work, or measure out your water at home and bring it in a bottle.

If that sounds crazy, make your coffee at home and bring it to work in a good thermos - a zojirushi will keep it too hot to drink until at least the early afternoon. Or just eyeball your volume measurements. If you pay attention to how much water is going in, you can get a consistent enough ratio to make perfectly fine coffee. I don't want to say "you're overthinking this" because that's what the thread is really about, but you're kind of overthinking this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't bring a zojirushi. It's so much sweeter getting paid while making coffee at work.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I would think about the 4:6 method then. If you’re not familiar, basically you grind super coarse and do 5 pours. So for 20 grams of coffee, pour in 60 grams of hot water 5 times. Let the cone drain completely each time. It’s easier with scales but I’d think with some practice it would be pretty easy to eyeball. Plus, I would think coarse ground coffee would stale more slowly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oivTEfBW47Q

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Get a cheap Bodum Bistro burr grinder for the office?

Used ones go for like 30 bucks and they're more than adequate for pourover.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 15, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Canuck-Errant posted:

Get a cheap Bodum Bistro burr grinder for the office?

Used ones go for like 30 bucks and they're more than adequate for pourover.

im with hypnophant, do the literal opposite of this: pourover is the most finnicky poo poo you can possibly do that isn't espresso and suffers from lovely grinders, just buy a french press or an aeropress or anything else that will not cause constant additional work

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hypnophant posted:

If that sounds crazy, make your coffee at home and bring it to work in a good thermos - a zojirushi will keep it too hot to drink until at least the early afternoon. Or just eyeball your volume measurements. If you pay attention to how much water is going in, you can get a consistent enough ratio to make perfectly fine coffee. I don't want to say "you're overthinking this" because that's what the thread is really about, but you're kind of overthinking this.

I’m insane (or self medicating undiagnosed ADHD), and come to work with 4 espresso shots in my zoji. This whole process is to get over the after lunch hump.

I just kinda went for it, and I guess I got lucky cause it came out pretty drat well For my first shot. This is my first time attempting any kind of pour over.

I ended up just bringing a cheap extra kitchen scale to make things easier. I followed Hoffman ultimate v60.

30g, ground at 25 on my calibrated encore. Paper filer (rinsed) over the metal filter.

Bloom struggled a bit, dunno why. Put my 60ml of water in, and it filtered through too quick to get that slurry. Put another 20ml in and still didn’t really get a good slurry, but just rolled with it. Wasn’t much offgassing on the next pour.

Ended drawdown at 3:33. Coffee was very good, good enough to drink black (which I rarely do). Little under-extracted for my liking, but since the draw down ended so perfectly I may keep the grind size and push up to 35g in.

Also it had that papery filter taste. Any way to push that out a little more? I did a quick rinse with the hot water from the kettle, but it didn’t seem to pull enough of the paper flavor out.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

I’m insane (or self medicating undiagnosed ADHD), and come to work with 4 espresso shots in my zoji. This whole process is to get over the after lunch hump.

I just kinda went for it, and I guess I got lucky cause it came out pretty drat well For my first shot. This is my first time attempting any kind of pour over.

I ended up just bringing a cheap extra kitchen scale to make things easier. I followed Hoffman ultimate v60.

30g, ground at 25 on my calibrated encore. Paper filer (rinsed) over the metal filter.

Bloom struggled a bit, dunno why. Put my 60ml of water in, and it filtered through too quick to get that slurry. Put another 20ml in and still didn’t really get a good slurry, but just rolled with it. Wasn’t much offgassing on the next pour.

Ended drawdown at 3:33. Coffee was very good, good enough to drink black (which I rarely do). Little under-extracted for my liking, but since the draw down ended so perfectly I may keep the grind size and push up to 35g in.

Also it had that papery filter taste. Any way to push that out a little more? I did a quick rinse with the hot water from the kettle, but it didn’t seem to pull enough of the paper flavor out.

I will try not to lecture here but I do want to point out that caffeine has a pretty long half-life in the body (5+ hours) which means if you have 4 cups of coffee in the morning, you still have about 1 cup equivalent of caffeine in your system over 15 hours later. I adore coffee but trying to treat tiredness with larger and larger doses of caffeine quickly reaches the point of being counterproductive.

Bloom is going to be a bit weaker since the co2 is going to dissolve out of the bean very fast, it's why preground doesn't bloom at all. For the papery taste, it could be because you're making the coffee a bit weaker than you're used to so the paper taste isn't as covered up. You can run it under cold water from the tap for a minute or two which should take care of it, and then just preheat with water from the kettle.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

y'all talking about pourovers during passover

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hypnophant posted:

For the papery taste, it could be because you're making the coffee a bit weaker than you're used to so the paper taste isn't as covered up. You can run it under cold water from the tap for a minute or two which should take care of it, and then just preheat with water from the kettle.

Thanks for this.

Updosed to 31.5g, ran the filter under the faucet for 1.5 minutes, paper taste completely gone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're looking for a manual grinder the Timemore C2 Max is on sale for $42.

https://www.amazon.com/TIMEMORE-Chestnut-C2-Adjustable-Coarseness/dp/B092MDTGGR?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're looking for a manual grinder the Timemore C2 Max is on sale for $42.

https://www.amazon.com/TIMEMORE-Chestnut-C2-Adjustable-Coarseness/dp/B092MDTGGR?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I wasn't, but I bought one anyway. Thanks!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Happy Easter! Sloppy shot warning.

https://i.imgur.com/L2XmqbL.mp4

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Is there a meaningful difference between the straight and curled tip WDTs?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i don’t like the little loops on the tips, they seem to drag big furrows through the bed and make it harder to get an even distribution. the needle ones are best unless you’re worried about stabbing yourself

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
My partner got me one with the loops as a gift. I'll look at trimming them. The gauge is .23. so fairly thin.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I have one of those ones that had loops on it and clipped them off. I've seen talk saying those ones (they are all probably made in the same place), are still too thick to be effective. I ended up buying a 3d printed one off Etsy that uses 3d printer nozzle cleaning needles and it seems to do a better job. Possible placebo, so who knows.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bandire posted:

I have one of those ones that had loops on it and clipped them off. I've seen talk saying those ones (they are all probably made in the same place), are still too thick to be effective. I ended up buying a 3d printed one off Etsy that uses 3d printer nozzle cleaning needles and it seems to do a better job. Possible placebo, so who knows.

this is what i did after using the tool that came with my grinder (which had loops) for a while. i agree the 3dp tool is easier to use and seems to do a better job, but any wdt tool is better than no tool and the 3dp tool isn’t so much better that there’s an urgent need to upgrade.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Hi there! After about a week of watching James Hoffman videos at 1.25x speed, I'm upgrading from my Moka Pot and Hario Skerton to a Flair Neo and this grinder. Have I made a terrible mistake? What would you say is the cheapest automatic burr grinder that can produce good espresso?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

Hi there! After about a week of watching James Hoffman videos at 1.25x speed, I'm upgrading from my Moka Pot and Hario Skerton to a Flair Neo and this grinder. Have I made a terrible mistake? What would you say is the cheapest automatic burr grinder that can produce good espresso?

you have done excellent

if you can hold off on an electric grinder, i would wait until the encore esp becomes available later this year and see how it reviews. if you can’t wait, the baratza sette 270 ($400) is the cheapest option (other than looking for something used) but it’s tough to recommend. cheapest best is maybe a eureka mignon or baratza vario, and the niche zero is also very good value, but getting out of the range most would consider cheap.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Qylvaran posted:

I just got that grinder and started using it with my Flair Neo and it's been great. I have an Encore with the burr upgrade and I'm getting way better results and control out of the manual grinder so far.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

would this grinder be worth stopping by the store for? It's a lot less than $400.

The Postman posted:

I just got that grinder and started using it with my Flair Neo and it's been great. I have an Encore with the burr upgrade and I'm getting way better results and control out of the manual grinder so far.

Awesome. I'll stick with the C2 for a while and see how I like it. I can always ask for a Niche Zero or the like for Christmas if I can't stand hand grinding anymore by then.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Postman posted:

Hmmm. That sure is making me consider upgrading from a skerton to the C2. I only make pourover, though, is it worth getting just for that?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Qylvaran posted:

I love my Flair, I used to have a Neo and I upgraded to a Signature with a Pro 2 basket from a very cheap FB duder. Here's a comparison if it matters to your decision! Holy moly they have too many options. Confusing bastards.

code:
Flair base --> brew head compatibility 
Neo         |  Classic      | Signature     |  Pro 2 base
Standard    |  Standard     | Standard      |  
            |  Upgr to Pro 2| Upgr to Pro 2 |  Pro 2 head

Brew head comparison
Standard        |  Pro 2
Max 14g in      |  Max 20g in
Max 40g out     |  Max 55g out
Has pressurized |  
option if your  |  Only bottomless
grinder stinks  |
                |  Easier preheating 
                |   workflow 

Note these are my real-world numbers, Flair gives others. Depends on grinder etc etc. 
I never want more than 40 out but sometimes I want a 20g in 30g out syrupy shot so only Pro 2 head does that

Price comparison:
Neo stock       | Neo upgraded      | Classic stock     | Classic upgr to Pro 2   
$125            | $205              | $165              | $314
No pressur      | Pressure gauge    |  No pressure      |  has gauge
gauge           |  + bottomless     |   gauge           |   
________________________________________________________________________________

Signature stock     | Signature         | Pro 2 base - includes pro 2 head
 has gauge          |   upgr to Pro 2   | has gauge
$249                | $398              | $325

Signature refurb is $30 off and other refurbs are out of stock
tl;dr:
  • Neo makes sense if you're super budget and know you'll never upgrade to a Pro 2 brew head, or you know you'll upgrade the base at the same time. Edit: If you do, you can resell the Neo for $70-$90
  • Classic and Signature if you want "Neo but looks nicer" or "might upgrade to Pro 2 and I'm okay with a worse deal if it means the $150 upgrade can come months later"
  • Pro 2 base if you want the Pro 2 brew head today
  • Check second hand via ebay or FB marketplace or FB group which has a monthly buy-sell thread

Flair 58 is in many ways much better but is in a whole other price category at $575

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 26, 2022

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think I need what the Pro 2 head has, and the Neo was on sale for 106 when I bought it a couple days ago. If I like it and want to level up, the bottomless and gauge seem like a reasonable upgrade later on. I may also want a new kitchen scale, since ours can only do the nearest gram or .1 oz.

I'm so excited for Wednesday when it gets here! :buddy:

The Postman
May 12, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Hmmm. That sure is making me consider upgrading from a skerton to the C2. I only make pourover, though, is it worth getting just for that?

Honestly I'm not sure, I've only done grinds for the Flair with it, and I have no other hand grinder experience. I still use my Encore for all of my other brewing methods, even if i might get a slightly better grind out of the C2. I don't think I would want to hand grind 20g daily though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Postman posted:

Honestly I'm not sure, I've only done grinds for the Flair with it, and I have no other hand grinder experience. I still use my Encore for all of my other brewing methods, even if i might get a slightly better grind out of the C2. I don't think I would want to hand grind 20g daily though.

Hand grinding for pour over is much different/easier than espresso.

I use a c2 at work for my clever coffee dropper and it works great.