Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

personally I found the chance I'd have a good time after the boss music starts playing to be under 50% in elden ring

so many bosses are just, something you kill in five hits because you found it way too late, or something you've already fought, or something clearly not designed for the terrain they placed it in, or two enemies jammed together without any rhyme or reason, ignoring everything that makes multi-enemy bosses good. And the bosses that did actually have care and effort put into them felt like they were breaking established patterns of souls boss design just to make them challenging for vets, rather than because it's actually fun to have a boss hold their attack for ten seconds and then spam out a freestyle combo

That was about my experience, too. My major issue was that the amount of waiting needed to respond to most bosses, especially with heavier weapons, was excessive to the point of being boring instead of engaging. I think my favorite boss was, funnily enough, Mohg, since he hits a good balance between attack timings, has clearly punishable windows, and changes what he does in his second phase just enough to be interesting while still not dramatically disengaging from the first phase's moveset. It has me worried for future mainline Fromsoft titles, because they're clearly butting up against the limits of the "basic" Souls style of combat without much willingness to innovate in anything outside their more experimental titles like Sekiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i mean hell the very first healthbar boss you fight is then repeated like a billion times all over limgrave

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I loved pretty much everything about Elden Ring

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kerrzhe posted:

i mean hell the very first healthbar boss you fight is then repeated like a billion times all over limgrave

There's only one grafted scion in outside of Stormveil in Limgrave isn't there?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Andrast posted:

Same, don’t really mind the repeat bosses

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Andrast posted:

It's the perfect game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

Same but also DS2

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do think that next time I would like to see them depart even more from the "mainline Souls" gameplay style. Borrow more from Sekiro maybe with deflecting attacks and pressing the advantage being a more important part, or just go in a different, new direction.

I do really, really love Elden Ring. I've had a fantastic time with it and I am drat sure I will play it a third and fourth time and buy and play any and all DLC, too. The world design alone is amazing and the combat is fun enough that I always wanted to engage with it. But there's always room to be better and I think the combat design is, to me, the clearest place where some evolution would be welcome.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should make an Armored Core or a Cookies and Cream next

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Apparently they've been focus testing a new Armored Core.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

stev posted:

There's only one grafted scion in outside of Stormveil in Limgrave isn't there?

damnit i forgot about the grafted scion no i was talking about Soldier of Godrick

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Make a new King's Field cowards

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing that's worth noting about Elden Ring and the follow-up it'll definitely get one day is that there's always going to be a trade off between tightly-focused mechanics and being as wide open and freeform as something like Elden Ring. Like you're never going to have a game with the mechanical focus and precise balance of Sekiro and the build variety and open-endedness of Elden Ring. Which is fine by me, I didn't really expect that from Elden Ring and I think what Elden Ring gained in the trade was absolutely worth it, but it's something that I think gets lost in discussion about Elden Ring's combat and balance.

That Elden Ring's combat is as good and mechanically tight as it is is pretty drat remarkable.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk if Elden Ring will make my top 10 this year but so far I've only played ffxiv/sifu/yu-gi-oh master duel and the snes version of super mario kart so maybe it has a chance

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Hero's path mode when!!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

External Organs posted:

Hero's path mode when!!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I think they should take a hint from Monster Hunter and remove the health bar from Elden Ring and add an entire suite of wounded animations. And also let you carve dead bosses.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I think they should take a hint from Monster Hunter and remove the health bar from Elden Ring and add an entire suite of wounded animations. And also let you carve dead bosses.

Also more weapons should explode on a regular basis and also there should be an insect glaive

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Itll almost certainly be in my top 5 I'm just complaining because the dungeons were so good that every time something less good came up I got annoyed at the quality mismatch

Right now it's number 2 and it's not obvious what on the horizon would bump it down further but, you can never know the future

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It would have to be an insane rest of the year for Elden Ring not to make my year-end list, almost certainly in the one or two spot depending on what else comes out. Hard to say. If Yakuza 8 somehow materializes out of nowhere and is anywhere near as good as 7 then it'll be a real tough fight for #1.

I'm finally pulling out of its gravitational pull so I've been playing Stranger of Paradise and I'm about to finally start Triangle Strategy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There is almost no chance Elden Ring isn't gonna be my number 1.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Andrast posted:

Make a new Shadow Tower cowards

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
SOP got overshadowed a little by elden ring but even putting aside the memes it's a solid final fantasy game.

i'm a little way into TriStrat and the combat is very fun but someone forgot to tell the writers the most important rule for when you wrote a complex and engaging fantasy setting that needs a lot of exposition: no you didn't

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have a complicated relationship with elden ring after finishing it, because i remember spending most of my playtime either tense, nervous, or outright miserable and i have hard time saying if i actually had fun or not

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

SOP got overshadowed a little by elden ring but even putting aside the memes it's a solid final fantasy game.

So far my only real complaint is that I don't think I like the MP system. For the majority of the playtime it's cool, but I don't like how it creates a negative feedback loop if you die multiple times to a boss. If I die to a boss after going in with 6 full MP bars, it's pretty disheartening to be down to 2 bars a couple of tries later and feel like I'm already going in at a big disadvantage.

Otherwise the game's a lot of fun. It helps that I don't really mind being inundated with loot--I liked Nioh, I'm used to it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm hopeful for starfield because I like space pew pew pew!!!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
drat, what a year

Elden Ring, Horizon, FFSoP, Triangle Strategy, Tunic, Rune Factory, Weird West

And we've still got like, new Somnium Files, Saints Row, Two Point Campus, My Time At Sandrock, Shogun Ceanataur's Big God drat Game, Starfield, Soul Hackers... what a time for gaming...my god...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Anyways I'm just gonna play Vampire Survivors. Pew pew get that gem son.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

So far my only real complaint is that I don't think I like the MP system. For the majority of the playtime it's cool, but I don't like how it creates a negative feedback loop if you die multiple times to a boss. If I die to a boss after going in with 6 full MP bars, it's pretty disheartening to be down to 2 bars a couple of tries later and feel like I'm already going in at a big disadvantage.

Otherwise the game's a lot of fun. It helps that I don't really mind being inundated with loot--I liked Nioh, I'm used to it.

It's probably not optimal but at the point I'm at I basically just hit the optimize gear button every so often and it seems to work ok

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

It's probably not optimal but at the point I'm at I basically just hit the optimize gear button every so often and it seems to work ok

If it's anything like Nioh then just raw item level is probably more important than anything else for the majority of the main story, at least on normal difficulty. There's probably a specific point at which job affinity becomes more important but I don't know exactly when that is yet.

I'm not using the optimize button myself but that's just because I am sometimes willing to sacrifice item level for fashion.

May 8, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Anyways I'm just gonna play Vampire Survivors. Pew pew get that gem son.

i uninstalled this game because it is a trap for ADHD brain

Arzaac posted:

i did this all the way through to credits, so just like Nioh just equipping biggest number is fine until sometime in the post game. the MP system can be a little punishing though a lot of the time in boss fights i was just spending it only on regen/cure spells anyway. i'm not sure i remembered to use the lightbringer ability more than once or twice the entire game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Saint Freak posted:

drat, what a year

Elden Ring, Horizon, FFSoP, Triangle Strategy, Tunic, Rune Factory, Weird West

And we've still got like, new Somnium Files, Saints Row, Two Point Campus, My Time At Sandrock, Shogun Ceanataur's Big God drat Game, Starfield, Soul Hackers... what a time for gaming...my god...

One more month until one of my GOTY contenders, baybee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGU4d9USIM

We also got a new Pokemon in the beginning of the year and another new Pokemon later.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I watched a video on the Internet about the From game Shadow Tower, and they should make something like that, but with good controls.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

I'm hopeful for starfield because I like space pew pew pew!!!

I am really excited for Starfield even though I know I shouldn't be. We haven't even seen any actual gameplay yet, just Todd Howards promises, and he has a history of being full of poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I watched a video on the Internet about the From game Shadow Tower, and they should make something like that, but with good controls.

how different was it from king's field?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I would be legit not upset if the new Armored Core was pretty much Souls with Mechs.

I am not excited that much from Betheseda's stuff. Elden Ring has spoiled me when it comes to open worlds now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I am really excited for Starfield even though I know I shouldn't be. We haven't even seen any actual gameplay yet, just Todd Howards promises, and he has a history of being full of poo poo.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing some gameplay footage this summer. Either way it'll be an easy day 1 gamepass download so the personal cost is pretty minimal.

I enjoy the vibes of the technology being kind of retro futuristic. Video games, good!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Rinkles posted:

how different was it from king's field?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

External Organs posted:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing some gameplay footage this summer. Either way it'll be an easy day 1 gamepass download so the personal cost is pretty minimal.

I enjoy the vibes of the technology being kind of retro futuristic. Video games, good!

Hell yeah, this makes it much easier being on gamepass. It costs nothing, so the disappointment will be minimal. It's just important to not listen to anything Howard actually says about his game, he is already doing his usual song and dance with things that are very clearly not true at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

i'm a little way into TriStrat and the combat is very fun but someone forgot to tell the writers the most important rule for when you wrote a complex and engaging fantasy setting that needs a lot of exposition: no you didn't

they did