Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mbt posted:

persona 3 fes
gonna lie down for a bit after that lol

Epic final boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Inscryption
6. Elden Ring
7. Gran Turismo 7
8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. Deathloop
11. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga

Pretty cute game as usual. Star Wars is still probably the best fit for these licensed Lego games.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
what remains of edith finch

Decent little indie narrative game. As far as "games where you walk around piecing together how people died" go, obra dinn is a lot better.

Importantly it's the first thing I've finished this year that's not yakuza

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

kirby and the forgotten land, 'postgame' beat.

it feels weird to say because kirby is one of nintendo's strongest franchises but this is the best kirby game. if elden ring didn't come out this year this would handily be my goty, wonderful game that everyone should play

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
5. Inscryption
6. Elden Ring
7. Gran Turismo 7
10. Deathloop
12. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

Pretty fun platformer, but surprisingly short. It's got that cutesy Kirby quality to it where it still ends up fighting some horrific looking monster that I like. Had some minor frustration with the throwing mechanics at the end.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
5. Inscryption
6. Elden Ring
7. Gran Turismo 7
10. Deathloop
12. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
13. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

I largely like the game, but I think it is the weakest of the Soulsborne games I've played. When it's good, it's cool. Then I get to a place like Iron Keep or Black Gulch where the difficulty seems to be based around just being incredibly annoying more than anything.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bloodborne. My first time beating it even though this was the first Soulsborne game I played, years ago, because the Victorian Gothic setting interested me more than the medieval fantasy of Dark Souls. I also did 99% of The Old Hunters DLC but didn't end up beating its last boss, I wasn't trying to skip it but after it killed me a bunch of times I decided to try a few runs at the base game's last boss just to check it out and do something else for a little while and ended up being much more successful at it than I expected. Incredible game, the fast pace of the combat and the need to be aggressive was really exciting and the setting and lore is great--I loved both the gothic horror and the cosmic horror and was impressed at how well the transition between the two was handled. I don't know how I'd compare it to Elden Ring, the only other Soulsborne I've beaten, the tight level design vs the open world is a whole different experience, I feel like Bloodborne was more consistently good than ER even if it didn't match some of ER's highest highs, if that makes sense.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Bloodborne. My first time beating it even though this was the first Soulsborne game I played, years ago, because the Victorian Gothic setting interested me more than the medieval fantasy of Dark Souls. I also did 99% of The Old Hunters DLC but didn't end up beating its last boss, I wasn't trying to skip it but after it killed me a bunch of times I decided to try a few runs at the base game's last boss just to check it out and do something else for a little while and ended up being much more successful at it than I expected. Incredible game, the fast pace of the combat and the need to be aggressive was really exciting and the setting and lore is great--I loved both the gothic horror and the cosmic horror and was impressed at how well the transition between the two was handled. I don't know how I'd compare it to Elden Ring, the only other Soulsborne I've beaten, the tight level design vs the open world is a whole different experience, I feel like Bloodborne was more consistently good than ER even if it didn't match some of ER's highest highs, if that makes sense.

it makes sense, and i agree. bloodborne is a more curated experience, they're able to balance things a bit better and provide a constant challenge

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

9. Ancient Aliens (32 maps for Doom II. UV Pistol start every map, about 1/3rd I managed NoSave). 5/5. Absolutely amazing experience, skillsaw is a god, the custom textures, sounds, music and enemies were killer, and there were only like 3 maps in the entire set I didn't enjoy. Kind of overwhelming to play an entire game replacement for doom, and i salute anybody crazy enough to do like 3/4ths of it themselves.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair (100%)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Plebian Parasite posted:

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair (100%)

good game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I never finished the lair part because it seemed really tedious, even after getting all the bonuses and stuff. I can't even imagine doing it with 1HP or whatever.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

American McGay posted:

I never finished the lair part because it seemed really tedious, even after getting all the bonuses and stuff. I can't even imagine doing it with 1HP or whatever.

It's cool that they went all out and made it super challenging but they might've gone too far tbh, if you look at the achievement percentages more people got 100% collectibles than finished the game.

That being said the overworld and level/variant level gimmicks were really well done.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I briefly beat the sa dot com cloudfare ddos protection by giving the government of turkey 70 dollars the price of the hit ps5 game returinal and the address of an armenian in los Angeles in exchange for ottaman ddos might. Not bad could have been better
2.5/5

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Triangle Strategy. It was awesome

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Training posted:

9. Ancient Aliens (32 maps for Doom II. UV Pistol start every map, about 1/3rd I managed NoSave). 5/5. Absolutely amazing experience, skillsaw is a god, the custom textures, sounds, music and enemies were killer, and there were only like 3 maps in the entire set I didn't enjoy. Kind of overwhelming to play an entire game replacement for doom, and i salute anybody crazy enough to do like 3/4ths of it themselves.

Ancient aliens is so loving good

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
stranger of paradise: final fantasy origin

looks and runs like poo poo but the combat is fun and it's very stupid which is all i really wanted from it. i kind of want more? like i ended up actually kinda liking the jack dipshit squad and how it all wrapped up at the end. i want more jack

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Tokimeki Memorial (Yuina Ending)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Plebian Parasite posted:

Tokimeki Memorial (Yuina Ending)

12) This.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elden ring, age of stars ending

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

1. super mario 3d world (switch) - 100% with mario
2. super mario world (snes) - 96 exits and palate swap (replay)
3. metroid dread (switch) - 100%, normal difficulty
4. max payne 3 (pc) - hard difficulty
5. ninja gaiden iii (nes / usa version)
6. ninja gaiden iii (famicom / jp version) - 1cc
7.0 tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - mira kagami ending
8. mega man (nes) (replay)
9. mega man 2 (nes / "difficult" difficulty) (replay)

7.1. tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - kissless virgin ending

10. kirby and the forgotten land (switch) - base game.
going for 100%, should have it done in a few more days as time permits. i love this game.

tmfc fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 22, 2022

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

tmfc posted:

2. super mario world (snes) - 96 exits and palate swap (replay)
3. metroid dread (switch) - 100%, normal difficulty
4. max payne 3 (pc) - hard difficulty
5. ninja gaiden iii (nes / usa version)
6. ninja gaiden iii (famicom / jp version) - 1cc
7. tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - mira kagami ending
8. mega man (nes) (replay)
9. mega man 2 (nes / normal difficulty) (replay)

10. tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - kissless virgin ending

11. kirby and the forgotten land (switch) - base game.
going for 100%, should have it done in a few more days as time permits. i love this game.

just a warning, you can't count the same game twice or you will be banned. Last Warning. Use 7.1, ect.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i edited it regardless of whether you're just taking the piss, cuz that does make sense if i'm tallying the 'number' of games i've beaten. thx

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh it's beyond real.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

tmfc posted:

i edited it regardless of whether you're just taking the piss, cuz that does make sense if i'm tallying the 'number' of games i've beaten. thx

you did it for ninja gaiden 3 also... post the real stats or you will be banished to the shadow realm

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i could let ng3 jp/us slide. they're distinct enough

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mycophobia posted:

i could let ng3 jp/us slide. they're distinct enough

*sheathes blade* ... very well

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

2. metroid dread (switch) - 100%, normal difficulty
3. max payne 3 (pc) - hard difficulty
4.0 ninja gaiden iii (nes / usa version)
4.1. ninja gaiden iii (famicom / jp version) - 1cc
5.0 tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - mira kagami ending
5.1. tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - kissless virgin ending
6. kirby and the forgotten land (switch) - base game

revisits of games i haven't played or beaten in several years:

super mario world (snes) - 96 exits and palate swap
mega man (nes)
mega man 2 (nes / "difficult" difficulty)

tmfc fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 22, 2022

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

tmfc posted:

2. metroid dread (switch) - 100%, normal difficulty
3. max payne 3 (pc) - hard difficulty
4.0 ninja gaiden iii (nes / usa version)
4.1. ninja gaiden iii (famicom / jp version) - 1cc
5.0 tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - mira kagami ending
5.1. tokimeki memorial (super famicom) - kissless virgin ending
6. kirby and the forgotten land (switch) - base game

revisits of games i haven't played or beaten in several years:

super mario world (snes) - 96 exits and palate swap
mega man (nes)
mega man 2 (nes / normal difficulty)

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i put replays in my count for the year, lol.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

also congratulations to all the people who have beat elden ring. i'm not jealous at all, on my third night working late and missing out on playing it, haha.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Bicyclops posted:

i put replays in my count for the year, lol.

replays count, but not if its the same game twice in one year.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

replays count, but not if its the same game twice in one year.

this.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
new year, new games

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

1. Rift Wizard
2. Grand Cross Renovation
3. Doom 64
4. Elden Ring

Took me ~110h. I have a list of complaints and in some ways I think BOTW is better but screw it, 10/10 GOTY and a GOAT.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Returnal (True ending):
2. Katamari Damacy:
3. The Last of Us 2:
4. Demon Souls Remake:
5. Elden Ring: It was pretty good but for a souls game I think it's a bit middle of the pack. I think the souls combat formula has gone as far as it can without major overhauls. The open world was really good though and I loved that it wasn't afraid for you to miss stuff and forced you to explore after your foolish ambitions were laid to rest by a literal gatekeeper. I think the starting 10-20 hours in Limgrave are some of the most fun and excitement I've had in a from game or any game really when it felt so fresh and new and interesting. I think post the first Lord things ended up going downhill for me with repetition and feeling overlevelled from doing all the exploring till end game. I definitely enjoyed my time with it a lot but early on I think it was just something else for me. Despite all this I have already started a fresh file, as well as continuing on NG+ on my main file, as well as a cloud save pre-ending to restore for the DLC.

DS3>Bloodborne>>>Elden Ring>>Dark Souls = Demon Souls >> Dark souls 2

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

543. won another round of super turbo (honda)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

EmmyOk posted:

I think the souls combat formula has gone as far as it can without major overhauls.

This is how I felt about DkS3 tbh. After dumping a thousand hours into 1/2+SotFS/BB I hit terminal burnout at the start of Ringed City and never finished. I didn't touch a Fromsoft game again until ER, which changed things up enough to make everything fresh.

In order of how much I enjoyed them:
ER = BB > DkS = DkS2 >>> DkS3