Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Two weeks straight of people posting about nothing but Final Fantasy games is the proof that the Nintendo Switch has no good games and is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
would you rather have no good games, or no games

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
my favorite part about the switch is all of the old rear end games you can buy to play on the toilet

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
old rear end games to empty your old rear end to

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I play the games on my bed, which is comfortable and has blankets

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Best way to play is laying on the couch a few feet away from the TV.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm not sure why people are suggesting pooping on the couch or bed, but that's the beauty of the Switch: it caters to all types of toilets.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah it's pretty straightforward and the ability system isn't really that deep. Unless you are trying to fight Ozma

Ask me about finding out I'd broken the quest chain to actually hit Ozma with regular attacks after putting in the hours to do literally every other thing in the game. :dumbgun:

To beat it I had to Boost all my summons, so I could auto-regen in the time it took for the animation to play out, and could only practically damage it when Trances came up. Took nearly an hour, and every elixer in the game, but that fat orb went down. :black101:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

American McGay posted:

Two weeks straight of people posting about nothing but Final Fantasy games is the proof that the Nintendo Switch has no good games and is dead.

Ok, but tomorrow, we'll all be talking about Mario Golf 64.

And then 2 days after that, back to FF talk. But until then...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah it's pretty straightforward and the ability system isn't really that deep. Unless you are trying to fight Ozma

Yeah that's the problem. There's an unquestionable "best" ability and you just spam that. FF9 is a nice game but I have trouble calling it great. Everything about it is better than I expected but somehow every other FF from 6-10 was more memorable.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm still making my way through the Switch drip of old-rear end video games everyone's mentioned but I never really knew. Somehow no one ever told me the thing that happens like mid-way through Chrono Cross and I got to be floored by it 20 years later.

gonna play Elden Ring and Assassin's Creed 10 on the New Hip Nintendo Console like a decade from now and it's gonna rule

:same: it's the best thing about the Switch. I would never have thought I could talk about these games, now that the console wars are dead we can all enjoy everything that's playable and it's lovely.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Waffle! posted:

This right here is exactly why I don't like certain RPGs. How are you supposed to know any of that without a strategy guide you have to keep checking instead of just enjoying the game?

For tips on how to play the game without a strategy guide, visit PlayOnline.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, but tomorrow, we'll all be talking about Mario Golf 64.

And then 2 days after that, back to FF talk. But until then...

I will not be talking about Mario Golf 64.

I will be talking about Legend of Valkyrie and trying to convince you all to play it when it gets rereleased tomorrow, because it's wonderful

https://twitter.com/dantemendes/status/1418266543213907968

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Willo567 posted:

I will not be talking about Mario Golf 64.

I will be talking about Legend of Valkyrie and trying to convince you all to play it when it gets rereleased tomorrow, because it's wonderful

https://twitter.com/dantemendes/status/1418266543213907968

A shmup guy I know keeps talking this game up; I might have to check it out.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

xedo posted:

For tips on how to play the game without a strategy guide, visit PlayOnline.

You actually needed both, the guide had all the codes you needed to search for, I think it was Square's first tentative step into grifting the hell out of their customers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will never shut up about Mario Golf 64

Brace yourselves

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I will never shut up about Mario Golf 64

Brace yourselves

Please save us from final final fantasy chat

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
did you know that final fantasy characters have appeared in mario sports games

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
Will Square ever let Nintendo add Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest to SNESflix?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Trump Card posted:

Will Square ever let Nintendo add Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest to SNESflix?

they probably think they don't need to, since they already released Mystic Quest for the Gameboy in their Mana Collection

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is this to be our final conversation on the subject?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is this to be our final conversation on the subject?

No that's just a fantasy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's a shame that Fina Fantasy Origin: Stranger of Paradise isn't on the Switch but considering the optimization issues it has I can't even begin to imagine how much work it'd take to make it run, let alone be playable.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It looks real ugly on the Series X and it stutters constantly I’m not sure what they did

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/SlainUnikorn/status/1514059826011295747?s=20&t=mL32UVTqfV51JQRkPmjIbQ

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS

Libluini posted:

they probably think they don't need to, since they already released Mystic Quest for the Gameboy in their Mana Collection

Why did Square have to use that name on two unrelated games? I just want my game about dumb boy Benjamin going on a quest because an old guy on a cloud told him to :negative:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wow when did elden ring get ported to the switch!?!?

also, lmao

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Trump Card posted:

Why did Square have to use that name on two unrelated games? I just want my game about dumb boy Benjamin going on a quest because an old guy on a cloud told him to :negative:

If I remember the story right, it's because they didn't think the two game series would sell well enough without the FF name stuck to them to give it brand recognition. This was Final Fantasy Adventure (Mana 1) and Final Fantasy Legends 1-3 (SaGa), both GB games, and while successful, was a bit of a double edged sword for those coming into the games expecting it to be an FF game.

Mystic Quest has always been an intentional Final Fantasy spin-off though. It was made to be an "easier and faster RPG" for the USA to serve as a method of getting more people into the mainline FF series. It's even called Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest in Japan.

Edit: Confusingly, Final Fantasy Adventure (Mana 1) was localized as Mystic Quest in PAL regions. I have no explanation for this confusing decision.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 13, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Americans needed easier RPGs because we were used to baby mode series like *checks notes* ...Ultima, Bard's Tale, and Wizardry. :v:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Still waiting on might and magics and heros of might and magic

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Americans needed easier RPGs because we were used to baby mode series like *checks notes* ...Ultima, Bard's Tale, and Wizardry. :v:

I always found this assumption weird because yeah, the games they modeled Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were rooted from western PC dungeon crawlers. Not to mention D&D which it all comes from being an American invention.

There's also the fact that Square shot themselves in the foot with the various circumstances leading to Final Fantasy VII being the fourth mainline game released in the west.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Yo, Kirby Flash Fishing in the Forgotten Lands is going to be my new go to. As I was making 30 coins at a time, I thought 'This is how I pay for my in-game gacha habit'.

Then I got a fish worth 500g. :allears:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

talking about final fantasy is good, because final fantasy is good

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i have beaten elden ring and breath of the wild

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I gave up on elden ring because I got good enough to realize I'd never "git gud"

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m playing FF9 on my Switch and I’m having fun. Once I finish it I will begin playing FF8 on my Switch and I anticipate having fun with it too.

Am I doing this right?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Wildtortilla posted:

I’m playing FF9 on my Switch and I’m having fun. Once I finish it I will begin playing FF8 on my Switch and I anticipate having fun with it too.

Am I doing this right?

Tell us about it. More. Until your post invokes a scroll bar. Then you've reached Minimum Postage.

:justpost:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You don't need a reason to help people.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’d like to play a FF game on Switch but I’ll be playing Dragon Quest XI for the rest of my life

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I gave up on elden ring because I got good enough to realize I'd never "git gud"

you don’t need to “git gud” to beat elden ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Beat Broken Sword 5. If you're a fan of classic adventure games like Monkey Island or King's Quest then this one is worth a look.