Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

kingturnip posted:

Premier League teams generally seem to sign two categories of players:
1) A first-team ready player
2) A young player who's willing to be at most a Fringe Player, but more likely a Breakthrough Prospect

For category 2, that seems to be players with 130-145 CA. These players will basically never get any gametime - they're just there to stagnate and die; they'll fail to get loan deals because the Premier League team will have to pay them £25k p/w to get them to agree 'Fringe/Breakthrough' status, and no-one who needs a player of that quality can afford the wages (or the Work Permit won't permit English clubs to play them).
So if that guy is too good to consider being a non-playing member of a megabastard's squad, he'll be fair game for anyone willing to give him game time at a level he's happy with.

I dunno if the AI operates under the same constraints as the player but as of I think FM20 you can't even offer money to a player until you make an agreement with him on playing time. There's no way to say "we're willing to gigantically overpay you if you're willing to accept being a squad player", playing time comes before money in the negotiation process and if you don't promise him the Important Player status he wants then he tells you to gently caress right off.

I think it's true that a player who would demand Regular Starter status from Everton would accept Fringe Player from Liverpool so that's probably what's going on.

There's also the Playing Time Pathway thing where they're probably promising him Fringe Player -> Year 2 Squad Player -> Year 3 Regular Starter, which of course never happens, and if you set him on Follow then you'll see him spending the duration of his contract in a stable loop of demands transfer -> no one wants him because he's overpaid -> gives up and stops demanding transfer -> a month passes, he still isn't playing, demands transfer

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Important isn't that hard to maintain, it's Star Player that's broken- you rest a guy because he can barely walk after 7 matches in 14 days he gets pissed and demands a trade

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I had a Star Player get pissed because I wouldn’t start him when he was rehabbing from sprained knee ligaments and at 35% fitness.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

Premier League teams generally seem to sign two categories of players:
1) A first-team ready player
2) A young player who's willing to be at most a Fringe Player, but more likely a Breakthrough Prospect

For category 2, that seems to be players with 130-145 CA. These players will basically never get any gametime - they're just there to stagnate and die; they'll fail to get loan deals because the Premier League team will have to pay them £25k p/w to get them to agree 'Fringe/Breakthrough' status, and no-one who needs a player of that quality can afford the wages (or the Work Permit won't permit English clubs to play them).
So if that guy is too good to consider being a non-playing member of a megabastard's squad, he'll be fair game for anyone willing to give him game time at a level he's happy with.

In the ratings guidelines 145 CA is a Star Player for 9 PL clubs at game start. It's a good first team regular or better for 15. But PL clubs stockpile players and don't play many games, so youngsters who find themselves a little behind slightly better ones will rarely get any minutes, and their club won't loan them out because of "first team responsibilities" if they're Fringe or higher.

AI clubs operate on the "two players for every position" meme that only applies in practice for teams competing in Europe.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nothing like your Champions League semifinalist team being shipped out to the U.S. for training camp and styling on hapless rando American teams

It's not often you allow 15 goals and get a 7.8 rating, 17 saves is a pretty decent day's work.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nothing like your Champions League semifinalist team being shipped out to the U.S. for training camp and styling on hapless rando American teams

It's not often you allow 15 goals and get a 7.8 rating, 17 saves is a pretty decent day's work.

This doesn't make any sense.

Why would you be playing North Carolina in New York?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Training camps can be put in specific locations that schedule matches against "nearby" teams there (or teams also training in that location) and hosts them at random small stadia in the area. The date is during the US season but since North Carolina's league isn't in the game I suppose it can still pick them for that?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah the three teams we played during camp were North Carolina Houston and Pittsburgh, of which only Houston even had actual players instead of grayed out randos. The camp was apparently in New York :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Better then going to North Carolina

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Of all of Football Manager's myriad idiosyncrasies that have endured through the years, I think my very favorite is the way the Complacency Malus works itself out not as your players playing worse, but as your strikers assaulting the woodwork like it murdered their brother and the best keeper in the world being whichever keeper is playing your team this week.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do your own press conferences and they don't get as complacent (unless you choose the same idiotic options your assistant does)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I always enjoy how players interpret being told "Don't get complacent" at halftime as actually meaning "please concede two goals as quickly as you can to make things more exciting"

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sebzilla posted:

I always enjoy how players interpret being told "Don't get complacent" at halftime as actually meaning "please concede two goals as quickly as you can to make things more exciting"

NLP my friend. The brain doesn't recognise negatives like "don't" so just hears "get complacent"!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Players need high Pressure attributes to deal with being that demanding.

But the main reason teams seem to fall apart when managers use those shouts is that the opposition have changed tactics. The approach that gets you the lead won't necessarily keep it. When you feel desperate enough to mash "just play better!" buttons the ai manager is doing the same and throwing the mentality up a few notches.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

my favourite fm idiosyncrasy is the way in which every player declines physically in exactly the same way, first losing 1 point of dribbling around age 29 and then all their physical stats just cratering from age 32 on to the extent that a 36 year old is basically a shambling corpse

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

yugioh mishima posted:

my favourite fm idiosyncrasy is the way in which every player declines physically in exactly the same way, first losing 1 point of dribbling around age 29 and then all their physical stats just cratering from age 32 on to the extent that a 36 year old is basically a shambling corpse

I know exactly what you mean, and I know very little about this franchise. It would be funny if it weren't so bloody sad. Out of the Park Baseball, this game's spiritual sister, has sliders/options to affect how players develop and decline with age. This game could badly use that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

In theory I think Professionalism and Natural Fitness should factor into player longevity as well as a sort of hidden development curve and maybe some other stats but they seem to just not really.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Pirlo basically never ran faster than Pace 1 during his career. The way physical attributes are supposed to work is that 1-20 is a scale from worst professional footballer to best professional footballer, and not shambling corpse to Usain Bolt, so losing a couple of points of Pace isn't actually a big deal (in theory). There are many Premier League players who should realistically have no more than Pace 5, but researchers are cowards.

On the other hand speed and strength are very effective in the match engine even beyond their already high weighting in CA calculations, and they're not effected by the Consistency roll (x/25 chance to play to visible attributes in any given game). It's hard to offset a 2 point drop in a physical attribute with mental gains in FM. Try to retrain an old striker into an AM (as the game explicitly recommends because it's an idiot) and their attributes will drop even faster as attribute weightings change and everything shifts down to rebalance - annoying for a young player, devastating for old fogey who won't be regaining those drops any time soon.

Hidden attributes absolutely have an effect, but it's by fractions compared to what other systems/calculations are doing. My post-30 year olds usually crater because I panic and stop using them after the first few deep red down arrows appear. Bring on the next wonderkid.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No idea if it's true but it felt like Strength suddenly mattered a lot more than it used to (which was hardly at all) starting with the FM21 engine.

But Pace is and will forever be king.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Balance is the underappreciated gem.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The older PES games used to have a way to adjust a player's curve, to a very great degree, in regards to how their attributes changed with age. There was everything from players like Torres who flames out at 26 to ageless players like Maldini. I used to change the curve on a few of my favourite players like Lampard so that they would still be great at 38. I remember that there was a player from Atalanta, whose name I wish that I could recall, that had that naturally and could play 5 midfield positions. I loved him.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
On the other hand, Haaland remains pretty much bonkers throughout

Strength tanked a bit, but pace was still pretty exceptional.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Retired from international football in 2029. Still elite in 2040.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I think SI just extends the life of players now because they can't generate newgens that fit the mold of TAA/Robertson wingbacks

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Neymar was still at Santos aged 20

e: Kaka didn't move until he hit his 20s, Ronaldinho went to PSG at 21. Obviously a different era but Rivaldo was 24 before moving to Deportivo La Coruna.

I guess the argument is nowadays they move sooner but it's hard to know how true that is without hindsight. The next big thing might be kicking about South America right now, just waiting for that move.

Recent example so we don't know if he'll go down as a worldbeater or anything, but Luis Diaz only left Colombia to sign for Porto at 22.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SI has a weird hardon for Haaland, every save I've played in FM21 he's been Messi But Better and in my current save he won his tenth and final Ballon d'Or at age 36.

e: actually is someone high up at SI a Dortmund fan because Dortmund invariably overachieves in every FM version I've played, much like Watford

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 12, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Slotducks posted:

I think SI just extends the life of players now because they can't generate newgens that fit the mold of TAA/Robertson wingbacks

A Natural Fitness 20 Model Professional who is lucky with injuries should absolutely get near 40 in good shape to play. Kazuyoshi Miura is 55 and still playing professionally.

Alexander-Arnold was still a midfielder at 17. Most modern wingbacks are converted from other positions irl so that's how it works in FM. If you're not retraining every left-footed CM in your intake to play leftback then you're failing your club and yourself.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

SI has a weird hardon for Haaland, every save I've played in FM21 he's been Messi But Better and in my current save he won his tenth and final Ballon d'Or at age 36.

e: actually is someone high up at SI a Dortmund fan because Dortmund invariably overachieves in every FM version I've played, much like Watford

Tbh the guy has been hovering around a goal per game since 2019, he's pretty legit and it's not hard to imagine him absolutely shredding global football for the next 15 years.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

idk which version of fm it was where they decided to change the dressing room screen from the players names being in a nice list, to them being scattered around the edges of the screen seemingly at random, but it loving sucks

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jesus WEP posted:

idk which version of fm it was where they decided to change the dressing room screen from the players names being in a nice list, to them being scattered around the edges of the screen seemingly at random, but it loving sucks

There's at least one "UI design is my passion" guy on the team who is just constantly dreaming up new ways to hide information. The guy who insists on nested menus and removing your youth teams from the sidebar unless you decide to micromanage them.

The screen is designed to superficially resemble a changing room, rather than aiming for the intention of the basic design of a changing room: everything laid out in front of you and as easy as possible for a manager to read. Which is obviously just a list.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

im not fully immersed in my spreadsheet game unless there's at least 90-150 clicks inbetween matches in my 9th season just to rotate my squad

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I've never seen this one before:

Apparently there's a hidden "extra longevity" PPM and newgens can randomly pick it up? Or something? Something isn't quite working as intended there. It's already 2036 in this save so I definitely won't be finding out if he actually plays until he's 40.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 14, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Sounds more like "more willing to drop down the leagues and take a salary cut" instead of the usual thing where a declining player's reputation is higher than their ability so they don't want to sign for anyone at their new level.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've never seen this one before:

Apparently there's a hidden "extra longevity" PPM and newgens can randomly pick it up? Or something? Something isn't quite working as intended there. It's already 2036 in this save so I definitely won't be finding out if he actually plays until he's 40.

"Will retire at top" and "Will play football for as long as possible" are PPMs. I doubt they're common in the database which would make getting infected with them pretty rare.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's interesting, they must be super rare since SI's never bothered writing a routine to prevent the player from being notified when one of their teenagers picks it up. It's clear it's supposed to be completely hidden, you can't see it anywhere even with the ingame editor.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone else been finding FM a little buggy of late? Was watching SecondYellowCard's twitch on Tuesday and he had a contract negotiation that had the "Next transfer window" join date blanked out, and the player refused to let him change it.

And there was an issue with a player purchase where the only two things in the transfer negotiation were a 600k fee and 300k after 50 appearances, but on accepting the sidebar showed a "Barcelona can buy this player back for $0" line

Just very bizarre.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
I was going to look, but the stream is 4h 20min long so...

Got a timestamp/link to the relevant sections?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Vn18WNNaE

The transfer offer stuff starts around 2h20m, after he puts in the offer he messes with scouting for a bit so jump to just after 2h29m to see the offer accepted (and then the guy refusing to talk to him because the club is too small or whatever excuse). Which is exciting because he was willing to talk at the earlier timestamp on an approach to sign.

Matt unfortunately has a chat triggered "WTF?" animation that chat proceeds to spam repeatedly but just before it you can already see the blank contract start date, and around 2:33 the 5 wtfs in a row calm down and you can see the guy rejecting any attempt to add a start date.

He ultimately did sign the guy on Thursdays stream after waiting for two months for the "breakdown in previous talks" to wear off, but there's definitely some weird bug with bouncing between approach and offer to see if you can save money on compensation

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Pretty wonky indeed. Funny little bug, but I'd be raging of I signed someone and then they're bought back for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Barcelona needs all the donations they can get, won't someone think of the poor money laundering clearinghouses