Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Lm -- and I cannot stress this enough -- ao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
From what I'm seeing, the Moskva was distracted by a TB-2 Bayraktar drone which was likely observing the ship and gave coordinates for the Neptune crews to target.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Good luck buying a commemorative stamp. The Ukrposhta.ua site is slammed.

The best thing about those stamps? The soldier/marine depicted is probably still alive, but the ship definitely is not.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Good God I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Kremlin right now
He’s hiding in a bomb shelter right now.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KitConstantine posted:

That footage was found to be fake - apparently its a flipped and filtered version of a different ship fire

Yeah I was just about to edit it out and post Woofers tweet.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dunno if it was the damage from the missile that did it in, or the absolutely lovely weather on the Black Sea causing the sinking after the strike, but yeah, that's gonna sting for the Black Sea Fleet.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well somewhere in the great beyond Zinovy Rozhestvensky (the Russian Pacific fleet commander of the Russia) doesn’t feel quite as dumb anymore.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Having had a think about it....

It seems to me like the only option for Putin now is escalation, enormously so (possibly nuclear?). This is a serious, serious black eye. He backs down, and he's toast.

I really hope I'm wrong, but my gut says a lot more people, mostly civvies, are gonna die now.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Well somewhere in the great beyond Zinovy Rozhestvensky (the Russian Pacific fleet commander of the Russia) doesn’t feel quite as dumb anymore.

'Special' military operation

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It seems to me like the only option for Putin now is escalation,

Clancychat aside, Russia has limited resources to escalate *with*. He doesn't have a second reserve army or navy to just whip out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Medvedchuk getting himself captured yesterday (doubly so if it was indeed while trying to flee the country, at last) is another big blow as well

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Clancychat aside, Russia has limited resources to escalate *with*. He doesn't have a second reserve army or navy to just whip out.

That's what worries me. He might not have an army or navy, but he does have *other* things.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It seems to me like the only option for Putin now is escalation, enormously so (possibly nuclear?). This is a serious, serious black eye. He backs down, and he's toast.

I really hope I'm wrong, but my gut says a lot more people, mostly civvies, are gonna die now.

Considering that the only people who will know definitively what happened to the ship would be the crew, it will not be hard for them to control information and make it be "oops someone was smoking a cigarette in a magazine". They can avoid escalation easily just by making the narrative one of crew incompetence vs agressive action on the part of Ukraine. There's good reason for this too, what would Russia stand to gain by escalating further, vs what they stand to potentially lose? Also, what magical army or navy are they going to escalate with that they don't have already? They're not going to uncork sunshine over a sunken cruiser, when it's easier to blame crew incompetence.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Good God I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Kremlin right now

If you've read Fiona Hill's summation of Putin, she warned Bush and Obama about how he was thin-skinned and liked to shoot the messenger.

Must be a fun night among junior defense aides bringing updates

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's funny and embarrassing, but it doesn't really change much. The Russian Navy doesn't have a lot of need for anti-shipping capability against Ukraine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Almost the same Obama getting roasted before the Osama raid energy

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

We can always hope the Russian disinformation campaign persists, Putin pulls out, and does a patented MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, ALL THE NAZIS ARE GONE.

Or he gets offed.

Either or.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nah.

Dude controls state media. Make quiet diplomatic overtures to Germany, France and the US offering to pull out of Ukraine without actually admitting any fault in exchange for sactions lifts and keeping the gas on with Germany (what IS it with Germans and gas, by the way? Fucks sake Germany). Declare victory on the basis that Ukraine has been thoroughly denazified and pull out of everywhere except Crimea. Pivot all their forces towards meeting their May Day parade. Cremate all the bodies (war crimes and Russian soldiers alike) to hide the war crimes and domestic death toll. Then sort poo poo internally - stocktake of literally everything and rebuild - especially the nuke stockpile to make sure the good bits haven't been absconded with and replaced with cyrillic IOU notes like their conventional equipment. Purges for DAAAAAYS.

Alternatively; Go full pariah state and threaten nukes unless aid is given and get resources from China while the west turns a blind eye (same way as north Korea) until the next US election and hope Trump wins again.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 14, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

Nah.

Dude controls state media. Make quiet diplomatic overtures to Germany, France and the US offering to pull out of Ukraine without actually admitting any fault in exchange for sactions lifts and keeping the gas on with Germany (what IS it with Germans and gas, by the way? Fucks sake Germany). Declare victory on the basis that Ukraine has been thoroughly denazified and pull out of everywhere except Crimea. Pivot all their forces towards meeting their May Day parade. Cremate all the bodies (war crimes and Russian soldiers alike) to hide the war crimes and domestic death toll. Then sort poo poo internally - stocktake of literally everything and rebuild - especially the nuke stockpile to make sure the good bits haven't been absconded with and replaced with cyrillic IOU notes like their conventional equipment. Purges for DAAAAAYS.

Alternatively; Go full pariah state and threaten nukes unless aid is given and get resources from China while the west turns a blind eye (same way as north Korea) until the next US election and hope Trump wins again.

The deal with germany and gas is almost the same deal as Putin and Trump. Russia quietly provided support to 'green', actual Green, luddite, and Nimby groups and capitalized on Fukushima in order to sway public opinion against nuclear energy in Germany and to stall the development of renewables. It's been a long, successful con that has put Germany firmly on Russia's petroleum teat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Nah.

Hm. Yeah, ok, this is more likely. I keep forgetting how tight a grip he has on Russia.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

EasilyConfused posted:

It's funny and embarrassing, but it doesn't really change much. The Russian Navy doesn't have a lot of need for anti-shipping capability against Ukraine.

Slava-class cruisers have the naval S-300F system aboard, which is why the Moskva and the Varyag were on regular deployments to the eastern Med over the past few years: used as air cover for the Russian airbase in Syria. The Russians may have other land-based S-300/S-400 systems in Crimea or near Southeastern Ukraine but this still puts a dent in the Russian SEAD capability.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Carth Dookie posted:

(what IS it with Germans and gas, by the way? Fucks sake Germany).

Effort post in one of the other Ukraine threads on this very topic:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910801&pagenumber=737&perpage=40&userid=0#post522784044

I'm no expert, but it makes a lot of sense.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Effort post in one of the other Ukraine threads on this very topic:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910801&pagenumber=737&perpage=40&userid=0#post522784044

I'm no expert, but it makes a lot of sense.

I was mostly making a :godwin: joke

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

bennyfactor posted:

Slava-class cruisers have the naval S-300F system aboard, which is why the Moskva and the Varyag were on regular deployments to the eastern Med over the past few years: used as air cover for the Russian airbase in Syria. The Russians may have other land-based S-300/S-400 systems in Crimea or near Southeastern Ukraine but this still puts a dent in the Russian SEAD capability.

Good point. From a quick look, it seems like they only have medium range SAMs on the Admiral Grigorovich-class frigates and then a bunch of short range ones on various ships.

In retrospect, it was pretty stupid of them not to build up their naval forces as well as their land forces.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

EasilyConfused posted:

Good point. From a quick look, it seems like they only have medium range SAMs on the Admiral Grigorovich-class frigates and then a bunch of short range ones on various ships.

In retrospect, it was pretty stupid of them not to build up their naval forces as well as their land forces.

They literally couldn't afford that, especially with current levels of corruption.

A navy is expensive and they aren't the USSR any more.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They literally couldn't afford that, especially with current levels of corruption.

A navy is expensive and they aren't the USSR any more.

No, I mean bring more ships from elsewhere in preparation for the invasion, just like they did with the army.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EasilyConfused posted:

No, I mean bring more ships from elsewhere in preparation for the invasion, just like they did with the army.

Erdogan and Putin might be friends/friendly now, but there's no way he's going to flirt with complicity in the Ukraine invasion by allowing Northern Fleet assets to traverse the Bosporus. I'd imagine assets from Aviano, Rota, and Sigonella would shadow them as soon as they breached the Strait of Gibraltar as well.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 14, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

God I love this meme.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Erdogan and Putin might be friends/friendly now, but there's no way he's going to flirt with complicity in the Ukraine invasion by allowing Northern Fleet assets to traverse the Bosporus. I'd imagine assets from Aviano, Rota, and Sigonella would shadow them as soon as they breached the Strait of Gibraltar as well.

Per the Montreaux Convention, Turkey cannot block Russian warships from transiting to the Black Sea except in case of war. Russia could have sent as many naval vessels as they wanted before the invasion.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Marshal Prolapse posted:

God I love this meme.

What’s it from?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What’s it from?

Hunt for Red October

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

EasilyConfused posted:

Per the Montreaux Convention, Turkey cannot block Russian warships from transiting to the Black Sea except in case of war. Russia could have sent as many naval vessels as they wanted before the invasion.

Per the Budapest Memorandum, the Russian Federation “reaffirm[ed] their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine.”

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EasilyConfused posted:

Uh, not *really*? Transit of military vessels is limited by number, type, and tonnage and requests for transit need to be made in advance. Turkey can't block *civilian* ships from transiting to/from the Black Sea.

Oh, and Turkey has regarded this as a "war" and thus, the wartime tenets of the Convention apply: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreux_Convention_Regarding_the_Regime_of_the_Straits#Russo-Ukrainian_War

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 14, 2022

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Carteret posted:

We can always hope the Russian disinformation campaign persists, Putin pulls out, and does a patented MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, ALL THE NAZIS ARE GONE.

Or he gets offed.

Either or.

“We have forced the Ukrainians to waste valuable ammo and in doing so become our most valued partner in our quest to purge our armed forces of its weakest troops, aircraft, tanks, armored personnel carriers, and naval vessels!”

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

EasilyConfused posted:

Russia could have sent as many naval vessels as they wanted before the invasion.

Russia had little to no reason to believe they'd require more force than a fraction of what they massed along the border, and moving significant numbers of naval vessels would have made it much, much harder to deny any planned military actions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

you had literally one single thing to watch out for smh

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you had literally one single thing to watch out for smh
Coolant isn’t gonna drink itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1514473116994576385?s=21&t=b1Edn3mBww5cCYYNrpeHww