Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Herstory Begins Now posted:

thread title this if confirmed sunk

Ammo detonation, crew abandonment and rolling in bad weather? It’s gone

Unbelievable comedic timing
https://mobile.twitter.com/RajaGili/status/1514390065408929793
https://mobile.twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1513900257716977672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
If Moskva doesnt sink I hope Russia tows it to one of their famous sinking drydocks.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ammo detonation, crew abandonment and rolling in bad weather? It’s gone

Unbelievable comedic timing
https://mobile.twitter.com/RajaGili/status/1514390065408929793
https://mobile.twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1513900257716977672

I like the caption on Zelenskyy's instagram post
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcSMhDGMuOg/

President Zelenskyy posted:

The phrase, which became a symbol of the steadfastness of Ukrainian defenders, is now on postage stamps. Use and remember that the "Russian warship" always has only one direction.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
High-level US party is going to Kyiv soon.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1514417556446142467?t=bmjC1hUwxE7Dn2JMGXSDPg&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The ship is completely fine this is just an experiment in turning cruisers into submarines.

Oh boy I wonder what the crew of that ship is going to be doing. Are they going to be outfitted with mosin nagant and sent to the front

They're going to be taking some R&R time in Davy Jones' Locker Sandals Resort

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Well they already sent Kamala to get Havana Syndromed in Hanoi

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Russian Missile-Cruiser conducts reef-building exercise in the Black Sea 13/4/22

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Russian Missile-Cruiser conducts reef-building exercise in the Black Sea 13/4/22

I think it's very nice of Russia. Previously, they've been doing a good job fertilizing Ukraine's soil; now they're making sure the fishes and crabs have homes. :3:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's also the generous 'tanks for farmers' program that is lifting Ukranian farmers out of poverty at unprecedented rates!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

wet_goods posted:

Need a new thread title

"Russian Warship, go - oops, already taken care of"

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

wet_goods posted:

Need a new thread title
:hmmyes:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

While we will probably not know the dead count ever. It's probably more than significant.

With a crew of 480 let's expect a 25% casual to rate if not more. Especially with the potential of cabins being blocked off by the fact that it listed. The big thing to know would be the degree of the list minute by minute again we won't get that.

It's just sad that there's so much we will never know about the after impact of this ship. I mean so much can happen in those few minutes especially with the crew probably trying to do damage control and potentially making it harder for the entire crew to evacuate. I'm sure there was mass loving chaos on this ship once this happened I mean fires everywhere the magazine is a big worry etc etc. I mean this was an absolutely horrifying thing to go through. I don't think it's the hood but definitely slice a piece of the pie off of the hood sinking and you'll get an understanding of what happened here.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Moskva reports minor fire all is well

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

You idiots don't even realise the Moskva is just conducting a feint towards the bottom of the Black Sea.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

if Russia has any conventional arms left its going to use them. Between this and the attacks on Rostov and Belgorod they're probably enraged and humiliated.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This conflict definitely feels like learning hearts of iron iii. Where you think your haughty taughty fascist Germany with a strapping photo of Hitler as your HEad of state and you end up getting demolished by allied air power and don't realize yet you can set a command structure for your forces.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FishBulbia posted:

if Russia has any conventional arms left its going to use them. Between this and the attacks on Rostov and Belgorod they're probably enraged and humiliated.

Yes yes, they've just been powering up for 2 months. The DBZ Theory of Warfare

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The Moskva in better days. Pretty well armed. Russia has 2 others of this Slava class, apparently. Good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPFqkGdvlAc

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This conflict definitely feels like learning hearts of iron iii. Where you think your haughty taughty fascist Germany with a strapping photo of Hitler as your HEad of state and you end up getting demolished by allied air power and don't realize yet you can set a command structure for your forces.

putin bz microing and forgot to set navel patrols in baltic

ukrainian cavalry takes st petersburg

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes yes, they've just been powering up for 2 months. The DBZ Theory of Warfare

they could still theoretically just throw a lot of ancient munitions at cities, like literal ww2 style bombing raids with massive losses.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Can they do that without taking massive losses from stingers and starstreaks at this point?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

While we will probably not know the dead count ever. It's probably more than significant.

With a crew of 480 let's expect a 25% casual to rate if not more. Especially with the potential of cabins being blocked off by the fact that it listed. The big thing to know would be the degree of the list minute by minute again we won't get that.

It's just sad that there's so much we will never know about the after impact of this ship. I mean so much can happen in those few minutes especially with the crew probably trying to do damage control and potentially making it harder for the entire crew to evacuate. I'm sure there was mass loving chaos on this ship once this happened I mean fires everywhere the magazine is a big worry etc etc. I mean this was an absolutely horrifying thing to go through. I don't think it's the hood but definitely slice a piece of the pie off of the hood sinking and you'll get an understanding of what happened here.

We only have Russian reports on the safe evacuation of the crew, to what vessel in a storm and from a burning, sinking and exploding ship they didn't say. If they only lost 25% of the crew that's a great tribute to the crew's training and the effectiveness of Russian search and rescue systems.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cicero posted:

Can they do that without taking massive losses from stingers and starstreaks at this point?

No, and unless they want to send their strategic bomber fleet into contested airspace the planes they have available only have a small bomb load so it’s going to take months to reduce a city to rubble by air power alone.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

yaffle posted:

We only have Russian reports on the safe evacuation of the crew, to what vessel in a storm and from a burning, sinking and exploding ship they didn't say. If they only lost 25% of the crew that's a great tribute to the crew's training and the effectiveness of Russian search and rescue systems.

I didn't want to make a claim that was like 50% of the people in here are dead as it seemed a little blood thirsty. I definitely agree with you know there's probably a significant amount of people dead.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I didn't want to make a claim that was like 50% of the people in here are dead as it seemed a little blood thirsty. I definitely agree with you know there's probably a significant amount of people dead.

if the ammo actually blew up there will be few survivors.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

(CW: War) Ukraine v Russia: All hands rescued after fire. !!READ OP WARNING!!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

If the cruiser doesn’t sink, I hope some Ukrainian fishermen tow it back to port.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

If the cruiser doesn’t sink, I hope some Ukrainian fishermen tow it back to port.

The current rumors are that it took a hit in the side, started leaning, and likely rolled over. Its likely at the bottom.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

These Russian naval losses seem very, very expensive.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
GET ME DRACINFELS

Five minute guide on this warship and it’s sinking. I expect at least an hour on it!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am curious about the role Moskva could have played in the broader conflict; I know it's the flagship of the black sea fleet, but did it provide military cover or logistical coordination for the rest of the fleet? Did it have an ongoing role in the ground conflict?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I am curious about the role Moskva could have played in the broader conflict; I know it's the flagship of the black sea fleet, but did it provide military cover or logistical coordination for the rest of the fleet? Did it have an ongoing role in the ground conflict?

It had a pretty good anti-aircraft system that provided a lot of cover for the southern theater.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Discendo Vox posted:

It’s almost certainly been used to fire missiles at ground targets and possibly used to provide AA cover.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

The current rumors are that it took a hit in the side, started leaning, and likely rolled over. Its likely at the bottom.
Good. :hai:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Worth noting, this is not their first ship lost, they lost that LST that was doing resupply runs as well.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i mean if russian news really is confirming that the crew abandoned ship i don't see how it could still be afloat

my god, it disgusts me how the sickening tragedy of this war is combined with so many moments of utter farce. why start a war if this is the condition of your forces? it's like a repeat of the austro-hungarian empire eagerly launch a war it was in no position to win

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

It’s almost certainly been used to fire missiles at ground targets and possibly used to provide AA cover.

If wikipedia is to be believed it only has the capability to fire SAMs and big rear end anti ship missiles.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If wikipedia is to be believed it only has the capability to fire SAMs and big rear end anti ship missiles.

They have supposedly been using some anti-ship missiles on ground targets, but I don't know if it's the same kind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They were using Anti-Ship missiles as artillery as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Not a big deal as a land strike platform, but it had the only modern long range air defenses and the most capable/numerous short range air defense system in the Black Sea fleet. Its the sort of thing you'd expect to be providing cover against aircraft and missiles for the frigates and corvettes that make up the rest of the fleet - or amphibs attempting a landing.

Losing it means Ukraine not only just demonstrated the means to sink the other (less capable) warships, but also made doing so easier by disposing of the entire long range layer of the fleet's air defenses.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 14, 2022