Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
deeply glad I gave up on that project then :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Lady Radia posted:

in fairness you also had Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy, as well as For the Glory which was.. a commercial failure, but honestly the perfect version of what those folks wanted.

Nah Paradox game mods are mostly around.. fake, pseudo-JSON? I think it's syntactically consistent (i got really far building out a Discord bot, for example, that processed save files to keep track of MP stats over time), but it's also come a long way in the last.. five years or so? Like we're still a way, way long way from anything like Civ 4's modding, but it's "pretty good". And in fairness always been good for what a lot of mods want to accomplish (and, frankly, MEIOU is a fuckin work of art in the EU4 engine).

does EU1 use the paradox scripting language? if so it would predate JSON

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

VostokProgram posted:

EU1 didn't have modding, or at the very least it wasn't modder friendly.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Randallteal posted:

Edit: like their pitch from the first dev diary is

Who played EU4 and thought the thing it was missing was more than a million extra provinces?

Yeah, that pitch makes me not interested in the game at all. Not you grandma's GSG, yeah yeah. Mods often come from the idea more is good. And that "no mana" remark, bleah. I see true game designers that would only use real resources like gold that you can store for 700 years and teleport around the world to turn into buildings or something.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

VostokProgram posted:

Yes.

We used it for scenariosetup then.

It started as simple object read/write system, where objects could hold other objects inside it.

Think i wrote it early 1998 or so

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, it would support poo poo like visually expanding farmlands into former forests, land reclamation, or desertification, though I doubt the developers of the game have put much thought into terrain and climate. What with the 1356 world terrain map being literally just modern satellite imagery.

Considering its still in pre alpha hopefully theyll use a more accurate map, but deforestation and desertification are confirmed features, and on the reddit they said they are working on stuff like land reclamation/loss.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Good luck to those guys but "tons of provinces and a huge timescale" are both huge red flags to me

The actually spherical Earth is good though

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 3, 2022

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Lady Radia posted:

deeply glad I gave up on that project then :v:

I've found recursive descent with each component handling its own parsing of the incoming data and letting sub-components do their thing works well. A handful of helpers handle 99% of cases. And I believe others have done more efficient parsers than mine, in a plethora of languages. So if you ever wanted to do so for kicks, you're in good company. Or if you wanted that as a stepping-stone towards a bigger project, others have handled that step for you.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I haven't written anything serious on Unity, but doesn't it use .NET platform? You can just write the same code people write in enterprise application development and it will not interact with Unity internal objects till it needs to render something.

In any case, I doubt performance is what you should worry about in this project.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

idhrendur posted:

I've found recursive descent with each component handling its own parsing of the incoming data and letting sub-components do their thing works well. A handful of helpers handle 99% of cases. And I believe others have done more efficient parsers than mine, in a plethora of languages. So if you ever wanted to do so for kicks, you're in good company. Or if you wanted that as a stepping-stone towards a bigger project, others have handled that step for you.

might follow up in some PM's, thanks friend :)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

idhrendur posted:

Recursive descent is really the best for anything with a tricky grammar. Afaik every production C and C++ compiler uses it

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

VostokProgram posted:

Recursive descent is really the best for anything with a tricky grammar. Afaik every production C and C++ compiler uses it

Huh, that would mean my compilers class lied to me so many years ago. The instructor indicated it was all about lexx and yacc. Though we do better than the other session that was hand-writing tokenizers. Theirs would take tens of minutes to do that step alone whereas were sub-second.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Man, that project is not going to end well. Just by common sense, if you're a team of successful modders branching out into standalone games, your first project should be something smallish and tightly designed. Not "like those games we like but an order of magnitude bigger".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, never let fear keep you from attaining your dreams. Imagine if Arnold Einstein had been too scared to invent physics. Or if Micheal Jackson had listened to all his naysayers instead of doing basketball really well. Shoot for the stars, even if you miss you'll still be adjacent to the stars probably

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Guildencrantz posted:

Man, that project is not going to end well. Just by common sense, if you're a team of successful modders branching out into standalone games, your first project should be something smallish and tightly designed. Not "like those games we like but an order of magnitude bigger".

Are you saying it's not tightly designed to take EU4, increase the number of provinces by two orders of magnitude, and then slap Vicky's POP system on???

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vizuyos posted:

Are you saying it's not tightly designed to take EU4, increase the number of provinces by two orders of magnitude, and then slap Vicky's POP system on???

Ah, the worse than late game stellaris slow down challenge.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Guildencrantz posted:

March of the Eagles but good would be a nice project. Maybe a slightly bigger timeframe, going from like 1760 to 1820.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

idhrendur posted:

Huh, that would mean my compilers class lied to me so many years ago. The instructor indicated it was all about lexx and yacc. Though we do better than the other session that was hand-writing tokenizers. Theirs would take tens of minutes to do that step alone whereas were sub-second.

I think the hotness these days are GLR parsers, and there are some production C++ compilers that use them. Bison can generate them. lex/yacc are fine if your grammar is amenable to LALR parsing, but doing that with C++’s grammar requires a lot of hacking around to keep extra state and so forth.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think their biggest flaw, amongst many, is their attitude towards abstraction. The entire conceit of video games is abstraction. It is funny that they mention they dislike board games because by definition boardgames are tightly scoped and often revolve around a limited number of mechanics and ways to interact with those mechanics. Content has to be engaging. 1 billion boring provinces is much worse than 1000 interesting ones.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It is funny that they mention they dislike board games

Okay I like them now

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am still waiting on my kickstarter for the Board game of Europa Universalis, based on the computer game Europa Universalis, based on the prior board game Europa Universalis.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Guildencrantz posted:

I am super excited to see the absolute nightmare that the XCOM Long War mod people have made of their hyper ambitious strategy game.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Orv posted:

I am super excited to see the absolute nightmare that the XCOM Long War mod people have made of their hyper ambitious strategy game.

they already did it's called long war 2

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

hobbesmaster posted:

Ah, the worse than late game stellaris slow down challenge.

Rework the game so you can only play as the Mongols, and the goal is to depopulate the earth before the ever-increasing pop count of the simulation destroys your CPU.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Lady Radia posted:

Nah Paradox game mods are mostly around.. fake, pseudo-JSON?

I've never seen it as pseudo json. But yeah it's more like a markup language to call functions and manipulate data. But it is incredibly fast for what it is since it is like a 1-1 mapping almost to machine code. Faster than Lua I believe when we tested that some years ago.

VostokProgram posted:

EU1 was on the Europa Engine and not the Clausewitz Engine. The script language of today was based of something from the Europa Engine I believe though. Someone like Johan would know better.
e: Ah I see Johan has already answered.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 10, 2022

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Groogy posted:

I've never seen it as pseudo json. But yeah it's more like a markup language to call functions and manipulate data. But it is incredibly fast for what it is since it is like a 1-1 mapping almost to machine code. Faster than Lua I believe when we tested that some years ago.

I used to see so many projects where people try to write a tool to translate PdxScript to JSON and back. And then they discovered it doesn't really map.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Pdx script is better than JSON - it allows comments, for one

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am still waiting on my kickstarter for the Board game of Europa Universalis, based on the computer game Europa Universalis, based on the prior board game Europa Universalis.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/254127/europa-universalis-price-power

I have good news for you

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Does anyone have that meltdown post from after Sunset Invasion got announced where the guy went on about losing the ability to feel human?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

TTBF posted:

Does anyone have that meltdown post from after Sunset Invasion got announced where the guy went on about losing the ability to feel human?

some bozo posted:

October 31st, 2012 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. CK2 was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then Sunset Invasion was announced. This was not just an announcement of DLC, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was an expansion intended to completely disregard any historical accuracy, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's been vindicated by history

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thank you!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Gaius Marius posted:

He's been vindicated by history

There was definitely a point where dlc/release quality collapsed but it wouldn't be until a few years later.

Also Sunset Invasion was A+ wacky fun.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Rynoto posted:

There was definitely a point where dlc/release quality collapsed but it wouldn't be until a few years later.

Also Sunset Invasion was A+ wacky fun.

Like regardless of how 'plausible' it was, having a big crisis that shook up the western part of the map really helps for gameplay variety.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

If every one of their DLC was like sunset invasion, I’d be buying a whole lot more of them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

CK3 does not have a sunset invasion and it is the lesser for it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Hellioning posted:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Hellioning posted:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Eimi posted:

Like regardless of how 'plausible' it was, having a big crisis that shook up the western part of the map really helps for gameplay variety.

Yeah it's like a standard feature of Total War games too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

AnoHito posted:

If every one of their DLC was like sunset invasion, I’d be buying a whole lot more of them.

I've wanted an alien invasion DLC for HOI4 for ages. :smith:

HOI2 even had the alien invader tag and an event (that you had to manually trigger) for it, it's just begging to make a comeback.