Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of Alejandro, maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention, I remember this one scene with him speaking to a bunch of..I dunno, people, TV screns, something, and I didn't understand any of it.

I think somebody told me at the time this only makes sense if you read some manga, the show itself does a horrible job of explaining who any of these people are and what's going on. But maybe not, it's been a long time.

Those were the people backing CB. The Seele to CB's NERV if you will. The organization operates as cells, so the backers are anonymous and only have contact with people like Alejandro and Wang Liu Mei who in turn have contact with the CB cells. What Alejandro did was use Ribbons to get the location of all the backers and 47 them. Before being double crossed himself leaving all the power and money in Ribbons' hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yinlock posted:

Early on Heero tells him that Setsuna is not gundam, and so he must...BECOME GUNDAM.

Somehow this leads to an ironclad friendship.

Being able to speak the same language is one of the first steps to understanding.

And understanding is how you become Gundam.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kanos posted:

I think that if the desert battle had destroyed CB militarily it would have ruined the plan, because the blocs still had no incentive to form a more permanent alliance at that point - if anything, it probably would have led to open conflict over who gets to haul away the captured GN drives.

If the manga is to be believed, the whole entrapment is basically just part of Corner's power play. Fon Spaak is specifically ordered to stand down, which makes no sense when the Gundams go in expecting to lose and for that to lead to a failure of the plan. So either Veda was hacked by Corner in order to give him the order to stand down so the thrones could show up heroically, or Veda specifically told him to stay out of the line of fire for some other reason.

I mean, not for nothing but even assuming they captured all four gundams, he could probably just fly in replacement pilots and murder the entire military base to recapture the suits themselves before the various power blocs are able to do anything with the Gundams. Would sort of suck to have to hose Setsuna out of the cockpit, but hey, such is life.

Even if you think the manga is dumb and discount it, you'd still have the 0 gundam's drive as your ace in the hole.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everything involving Fon Spaak seems incredibly stupid. The Astarte does look cool.

Gotta say Charles Aznavour looks a lot more like an insurance adjuster then a cool prince ace pilot man

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fon Spaak is by a significant degree the stupidest motherfucker in the 00 setting and not in a good way.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

Gaius Marius posted:

Everything involving Fon Spaak seems incredibly stupid. The Astarte does look cool.

Was trying to remember that guy's name the other day, as an example of an insufferable lead. Only familiar with his story through the re-telling in Cross Rays, admittedly.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I did like the prototype of Allelujah’s Gundam from the manga. It looks like the engineers gave up halfway through designing its transformation.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it pretty objectively went well for SEED. It has easily the most EU material that isn't OYW-era UC Gundam and apparently does well enough they keep pumping it out. Astray is up there with Crossbone and (until recently) Hathaway's Flash as basically being a tier just below actually animated in terms of push.

It depends how you define "worked well", really.

In terms of the manga and the anime selling well, it was a huge success, but in terms of the crossover stuff, it left one scene in the anime really weird if you weren't reading the manga, and it seems like the plans didn't get fully implemented from Lowe showing up in the OP but not the show.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Fon Spaak is by a significant degree the stupidest motherfucker in the 00 setting and not in a good way.

He's just really obviously someone's pet character.

Even the basic wiki summary makes him sound awful: If he's ever at a disadvantage it's because he wanted to be, if someone gets one-up on him it's because he let them, he can learn everything about anyone from talking to them for 5 seconds, can survive his bomb collar exploding(which only happened so he wouldn't have to lose a fight to canon characters, and even then someone else had to forcefully control his robot to stop him from fighting just in case you thought he was some kind of wimp) and generally just has to make sure everyone knows he's the coolest and toughest guy in the room but he also doesn't care what you think.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

He's just really obviously someone's pet character.

Even the basic wiki summary makes him sound awful: If he's ever at a disadvantage it's because he wanted to be, if someone gets one-up on him it's because he let them, he can learn everything about anyone from talking to them for 5 seconds, can survive his bomb collar exploding(which only happened so he wouldn't have to lose a fight to canon characters, and even then someone else had to forcefully control his robot to stop him from fighting just in case you thought he was some kind of wimp) and generally just has to make sure everyone knows he's the coolest and toughest guy in the room but he also doesn't care what you think.

And also everyone loves him. He's treated like Shinji in the Rei-alike's arc, with talk about how he taught people to be human and was such a good friend, when all he did was go around being an rear end in a top hat.

Fon is the woooorrrrssssstttt.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

It depends how you define "worked well", really.

In terms of the manga and the anime selling well, it was a huge success, but in terms of the crossover stuff, it left one scene in the anime really weird if you weren't reading the manga, and it seems like the plans didn't get fully implemented from Lowe showing up in the OP but not the show.

I always love pointing out the Red Frame to people, and how it's not there in the HD version. It's an interesting little detail.

Caros
May 14, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

And also everyone loves him. He's treated like Shinji in the Rei-alike's arc, with talk about how he taught people to be human and was such a good friend, when all he did was go around being an rear end in a top hat.

Fon is the woooorrrrssssstttt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc_6dlY5Qnk

Sums up my opinion, yeah.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I checked to see if Gundam SeeD's HD Remaster was on Blu-ray yet.

It's been delayed again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I kinda love Fon Spaak specifically because he's such a horrifically lovely garbage character who is a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone. Like, his story is complete lovely garbage but it's almost endearing to see how loving stupid he is on a consistent, non-stop basis.

"Fon Spaak, stop being a prick or we'll detonate your bomb collar."
"gently caress YOUUUU"
"Fon, seriously, we're going to do it."
"gently caress YOUUUUUUUUU"
"*sighs and detonates bomb collar*"
"GACK....gently caress YOU......."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I kinda love Fon Spaak specifically because he's such a horrifically lovely garbage character who is a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone. Like, his story is complete lovely garbage but it's almost endearing to see how loving stupid he is on a consistent, non-stop basis.

"Fon Spaak, stop being a prick or we'll detonate your bomb collar."
"gently caress YOUUUU"
"Fon, seriously, we're going to do it."
"gently caress YOUUUUUUUUU"
"*sighs and detonates bomb collar*"
"GACK....gently caress YOU......."

And then everyone talks about what a great guy he is.

It's insane.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, actually finished 00. (Except for the movie, which I guess I have to find somewhere, I wanna see what 'Gundam Finally Doing Aliens' looks like.)

I love that, for the final battle, they give the 0 Gundam a paint job that reveals that its whole design is literally just an RX-78 cameo that's been hiding in plain sight this whole time. But honestly, even funnier was that Ribbons' suit is basically just a jacked-to-hell Guncannon stapled to a Gundam, that brief reveal shot at the end of episode 24 slayed me.

So yeah, apparently the way to get me to forgive story faults is to just go all-out absurdly stupid at the end.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Amuro's VA, Toru Furuya, also voiced Ribbons, and he also apparently was very proud of Ribbon's Reborn Gundam, going around the recording studio and showing it off to people, while exclaiming about how cool it was. I'm not a fan of the design at all, personally, since I think stitching the two units together makes both of them worse, and the MSV of each being it's own separate thing is nicer in both cases, but I do like that Furuya loved it. Plus, they originally wanted to make it a combined Gundam, Guncannon and Guntank. Which is also an MSV design.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I did see the Gundam-cannon-tank, which would've been an utterly perfect design to crack out for the finale, but I guess it would've been logistically difficult to fit it into that final battle. The 00 is pretty much entirely an aerial machine, where would the Guntank form even get in?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
You say that like Guntanks in space aren't a thing.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tsob posted:

Amuro's VA, Toru Furuya, also voiced Ribbons, and he also apparently was very proud of Ribbon's Reborn Gundam, going around the recording studio and showing it off to people, while exclaiming about how cool it was. I'm not a fan of the design at all, personally, since I think stitching the two units together makes both of them worse, and the MSV of each being it's own separate thing is nicer in both cases, but I do like that Furuya loved it. Plus, they originally wanted to make it a combined Gundam, Guncannon and Guntank. Which is also an MSV design.

i'm just imagining an 00 version of that stupid rx-78 form where it's legs are a plane

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I did see the Gundam-cannon-tank, which would've been an utterly perfect design to crack out for the finale, but I guess it would've been logistically difficult to fit it into that final battle. The 00 is pretty much entirely an aerial machine, where would the Guntank form even get in?

Build Fighters OVA had the Reversible Gundam which was Reborns with a tank mode.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Reborns rules and despite being bonkers broken in EXVS MBON it's insanely fun to play

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
I see that Code Fairy is on sale, don't know if I should get it. I know the story's got its problems, but how is the gameplay? Never played bo2, just installing it now.

For what it's worth, I really liked playing journey to jaburo, zeonic front, and lost war chronicles. Is bo2 anything like those?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Oh god no, it's much worse.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I checked to see if Gundam SeeD's HD Remaster was on Blu-ray yet.

It's been delayed again.

It came out in November: https://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-SEED-Destiny-Collectors-Ultra-Edition-Blu-ray

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

It turns out I was looking at the standard edition!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Fon Spaak is loving awful and I could only tolerate his shrill voice for like 10 minutes before I reloaded another side story in Cross Rays, but the Astrea is really great. If I ever get around to building the MGs of the three other Season 1 00 Gunplas (I don't own the normal Exia, but the Astrea will ship soon), I'll just pretend to myself that Setsuna decided to pilot a red Exia for some reason

Also the Reversible Gundam is great; the Reborns should be retconned and replaced with the Reversible from now on

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No. Reborns is already perfect

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Fon Spaak just sounds like a knock off Star Trek clone of Soock or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Fon Spaak just sounds like a knock off Star Trek clone of Soock or something.

Fon Parr Spaak

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

AtheistMantis posted:

I see that Code Fairy is on sale, don't know if I should get it. I know the story's got its problems, but how is the gameplay? Never played bo2, just installing it now.

For what it's worth, I really liked playing journey to jaburo, zeonic front, and lost war chronicles. Is bo2 anything like those?

It's the best tutorial for GBO2 and I wish it was just included with it.

They're reminiscent of those janky PS2 era Gundam games in presentation and design. You get some briefing and then get into missions. Story is very secondary to the devs cobbling together gimmicks and levels using GBO2 as a base. The mobile suits are lumbering and have slow turning speeds, making poor gameplay feel really bad. But when when you play well and use the suits' capabilities fully it feels pretty great. Melee and counter tackles feel *a lot* better and precise here. Your AI teammates will hit you slightly less than your team in GBO2 and you can control who they should target. And pilot skills add some needed complexity in customization. I would say the fanservice for referencing side stories is nice and feels like the old games, but it can get embarassing.

There's like 20 missions on top of simulator missions that gets you equipment to use in the campaign. Not a ton of missions, but it's designed with that in mind to replay and get better grades which gets you suits to use in GBO2.

I recommend it, especially as a fan of old Gundam games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Man, The Winner is good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, The Winner is good.

Best Gundam OP ever, IMO.

I'll never watch 0083 again but I'll gladly listen to this song forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP0U3irjIow

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And as if Stardust Memory wasn't Top Gun enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVJ85kttgA4

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

It turns out I was looking at the standard edition!

Yeah, RS is real bad about blasting out the super collection Blu Rays for Gundam before the regular editions and it's disappointing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, The Winner is good.

Stardust Memory's plot and characters might stink but its OST is incredibly good. Even beyond the obvious "The Winner and Men of Destiny kick rear end", there's lots of unappreciated instrumental gems in there, like the incredibly darkly humorous(in light of subsequent events) Naval Review theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anlSSM_EbJ4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's alright so far. It's pretty unremarkable, but it looks nice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's alright so far. It's pretty unremarkable, but it looks nice.

It gets real dumb towards the end. The opening half had a different director and writer and is generally thought of as less dumb.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah, nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you redid the last two or three eps you'd have a solid upper middle tier Gundam, they really drag it down