Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

Before I zoomed in on my phone, I thought that's who it was

Little trivia, the Fifth Doctor audio "The Game" was written by Darin Henry, who wrote four episodes of Seinfeld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

Larry David getting mad about David Tennant having a long queue of people he mistook for the bathroom line is absolutely something I can see happening.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

larry david another good choice for ameridoctor

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

What would be the best Doctor Who clips to play the Curb Your Enthusiasm them over?

I think my first vote is sad David Tennant in the rain.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It’s clearly 12 accidentally saving Davros as a boy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnimportantAcrobaticIndri-mobile.mp4

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well our Sea Devils adventure will be clocking in at a whooping 50 (count 'em 5-0) minutes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

So the same as a regular Chibnall story then. Good ‘special’.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The man struggles to pace a regular lengthed episode, this seems like a positive.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If it's paced and written well, 50 minutes can feel a lot longer (or shorter, funnily enough)

We've seen that Chibbers can make good enough episodes, so here's hoping that's what we're getting and not...well, 85% of the past 5(?!) years

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Listening to Subterfuge and Seventh Doctor stories where he doesn't have a companion have a really unique feel to them. It feels like Seven has less of a positive influence to keep him grounded, and that he knows more than the audience does (mainly because there's no audience surrogate to ask the "what does that mean" questions).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Non-Big Finish audio adventures!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1512324592928530437

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It's about time BBC did something audio with Thirteen. Since the series came back, Ten, Eleven, and Twelve all had original audio stories released, and during Thirteen's tenure they also released stories with One, Two, Three, Four, Six, Eight, and Nine.

Also hope this podcast gets a physical release at a later date.

Also, also, Peter Davison recording a Big Finish:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Oh cool!
I'm starting to really enjoy 5th doctor audios! 6 will always be my favourite on audio but Davison is getting up there for sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He gets into costume for recording sessions?

Is it okay to kiss Peter?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Is it okay to kiss Peter?

If they offered that at the conference the queues for him and Tenant would have reversed sizes.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
During lockdown, he made a TARDIS themed home recording booth in a cardboard.

Confusedslight posted:

Oh cool!
I'm starting to really enjoy 5th doctor audios! 6 will always be my favourite on audio but Davison is getting up there for sure.

Five is probably my least favourite TV Doctor, but he's much better on audio. I'm not sure why, it's not that he was bad, but he's the one who gripped me the least, whereas Davison comes across as more assertive in the Big Finish stories than the TV ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well drat, I love him even more now.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:allears:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

OldMemes posted:

During lockdown, he made a TARDIS themed home recording booth in a cardboard.

in the Big Finish stories than the TV ones.

Oh my god. It looks somehow bigger on the inside.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tha's kind of the point now innit?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He's even got a K9 at his feet

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rhyno posted:

Tha's kind of the point now innit?

I can still be impressed by it, right?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Finish really takes advantage of Five's "grumpy dad" persona and puts him in stories where that works, but I think Six is probably the Doctor who gets the best improvement from better writing. He just got a bad deal on TV stories, and he's among just about everyone's favorites for the audio dramas.

It's really cool how many former Doctors seem to both love the role and have a sense of humor about it, though. Sometimes it's stuff like that nice article that Colin wrote for The Guardian, but then there's little things like Matt Smith gleefully listing the props that he stole from the set because he liked them so much. Maybe after a few years of Big Finish, Eccleston will warm up to the idea of doing things like appearing on television or doing a multi-Doctor story.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Davison has said that while he loved playing the Doctor on TV, in the back of his mind he always felt he was too young to be the Doctor, and that by the time he started doing Big Finish, he finally felt like he was the "right" age.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
We’re all calling Twelve “Hank” now.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7080822231915351301
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7080827684292545797
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7080859755165535494

TinTower fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 12, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That is EXACTLY how I remember it :hai:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

An old newspaper article about some random Doctor Who fan.

https://twitter.com/FinishedZine/status/1513850905074049025?s=20&t=fi1RA0NAxhP8OLl5XLZwTg

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TinTower posted:

We’re all calling Twelve “Hank” now.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7080859755165535494

I admit I have a soft spot for bad media recaps, havent seen the tiktok version before though, and never with such a random name change. two questions because this overwrote so much of my memory, wasn't there a clara subplot in this, and i legit don't remember the oxygen thing or train blowing up at all lol.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Absolutely incredible. The bit about he has hopes of getting into acting at the end is the best :allears:

Khanstant posted:

I admit I have a soft spot for bad media recaps, havent seen the tiktok version before though, and never with such a random name change. two questions because this overwrote so much of my memory, wasn't there a clara subplot in this, and i legit don't remember the oxygen thing or train blowing up at all lol.

Yep, there is an especially strong Clara subplot because she'd decided at the end of the previous episode to end her time with the Doctor, and this was to be their last trip together. The moment where the Doctor appears to have proven all her worst impressions of him true onto for:

to happen is one of the most incredible moments in 12's run for me.

The oxygen and explosion bit is Gus trying to destroy all evidence/witnesses, but the Doctor saves them all (though he "jokes" that maybe he lied about that to Clara, and importantly she doesn't believe that because unlike the start of the episode now she believes the best of him) and teleports them all out before they can suffocate or be blown to bits.

It's one of my favorite episodes, followed by another favorite in Flatline. Bring back Jamie Mathieson!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Soon may the Sea Devils come

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, there is an especially strong Clara subplot because she'd decided at the end of the previous episode to end her time with the Doctor, and this was to be their last trip together. The moment where the Doctor appears to have proven all her worst impressions of him true onto for:

to happen is one of the most incredible moments in 12's run for me.

The oxygen and explosion bit is Gus trying to destroy all evidence/witnesses, but the Doctor saves them all (though he "jokes" that maybe he lied about that to Clara, and importantly she doesn't believe that because unlike the start of the episode now she believes the best of him) and teleports them all out before they can suffocate or be blown to bits.

Thank you, that rattled my memory of it right back, sorry Hank. I can still appreciate the art of working around that subplot since it's not immediately relevant to the premise of "this monster will kill u in 66 seconds." For that matter, neither is him being a timelord or time traveller or also being ?? number of other people a long time ago and in the future. Very good episode and story! the tiktok-recap version absolutely muffling the emotional weight of the "surrender" is also amusing in it's own bizarro way.

neat marketing, pretty excited for this one. i love the turtle friends and can't wait to see how they come round to being allies or goodies.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

And we're getting 4k remasters of the Cushing films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOrxEdNv70

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I only recently watched the first Cushing film, and comparing it with the Daleks is a stark reminder at how big a film budget is compared to TV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Budget doesn't matter if the Tardis doors open the wrong way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Budget doesn't matter if the Tardis doors open the wrong way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yRq_pnK4Ag

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
With the Sea Devils (yeesh, I can't believe they're keeping that name) appearing in the new series, are there any remaining baddies with multiple series who have yet to appear? The only ones I can think of are the Monk, who hasn't appeared since the 60s, and the Rani, who, let's be honest, is probably never going to come back. Both of them are scraping the "returning" label with two serials apiece. Sil, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rochallor posted:

With the Sea Devils (yeesh, I can't believe they're keeping that name) appearing in the new series, are there any remaining baddies with multiple series who have yet to appear? The only ones I can think of are the Monk, who hasn't appeared since the 60s, and the Rani, who, let's be honest, is probably never going to come back. Both of them are scraping the "returning" label with two serials apiece. Sil, maybe?

They brought back The Great Intelligence, but they didn't bring back the Yeti. Omega hasn't popped up. Nor the Draconians, or Rutans, or the Mara.