Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I know the deck is still very new, and is constantly receiving updates to things. And I know that I'm probably exceptional in having 108 games installed on it.

It's starting to wear a bit on me having 60+ shader updates every time I turn on the system, which is every day. It's not an enormous deal, it takes probably1-5 minutes to get through it, but drat. It's literally every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
When you say get through it, like, you're waiting for it to finish before using the Deck? Doesn't it just happen automatically in the Downloads tab? I can't say I've even noticed this process unless I'm trying to check for it but maybe I'm missing something.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Less Fat Luke posted:

When you say get through it, like, you're waiting for it to finish before using the Deck? Doesn't it just happen automatically in the Downloads tab? I can't say I've even noticed this process unless I'm trying to check for it but maybe I'm missing something.

It happens automatically when you turn on the system. Maybe I'm just being to obsessive over it, but I let it finish all the updates before starting a game. I just have a habit of not loving with something while it does updates.

Also, it only happens if you turn on the system after shutting it down. If I sleep and wake up the system it only has a few shader updates here and there, but if I shut it down and turn it on the next day it will have 50-70 games that get 10-300mb shader updates.

Like it will easily download ~ 3gb worth of shaders every single day.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 13, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mozi posted:

Mine was shipped out last night! Any luck on your end?

No emails yet. If it don't hear anything by Friday I'll nudge them again, probably.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dramicus posted:

It happens automatically when you turn on the system. Maybe I'm just being to obsessive over it, but I let it finish all the updates before starting a game. I just have a habit of not loving with something while it does updates.

This is a you problem. The Steam Deck operates on the same rules as desktop Steam and everything is siloed. For the purposes of playing a game, you only need to care about that game's updates. Just set things to not auto update if you don't want fresh from the factory floor updates at all times. Then it's just batching what you need instead of every intermediate step.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rosalie_A posted:

This is a you problem. The Steam Deck operates on the same rules as desktop Steam and everything is siloed. For the purposes of playing a game, you only need to care about that game's updates. Just set things to not auto update if you don't want fresh from the factory floor updates at all times. Then it's just batching what you need instead of every intermediate step.

It doesn't quite work like steam, because I've got ~1000-ish games installed on my desktop and I don't get a billion updates every day. I think it might be a linux-specific steam thing due to the shaders.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

ColdPie posted:

BTW, Deck owners, if you get a little thing asking you to give feedback, please engage with that, with both positive and negative feedback. It helps inform what games people are interested in, and also gives info on what parts of the verification process are working well or could be improved. It's really useful feedback.

You mean like asking if a game is great on deck? I’ve been playing axiom verge and the controls are fine but there’s visual issues fairly often, as it seems like the game is trying to change resolution or scaling or something. Also only happens when pushing certain buttons, in this case the triggers. I really wasn’t sure how to rate it since yes, it’s very playable and can be beaten without issue, but no it’s not what I’d necessarily call great on deck.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dramicus posted:

It doesn't quite work like steam, because I've got ~1000-ish games installed on my desktop and I don't get a billion updates every day. I think it might be a linux-specific steam thing due to the shaders.

quote:

The Steam Deck operates on the same rules as desktop Steam and everything is siloed

Emphasis added for clarity. There's no need to wait for every single update to use the thing, just the update for whatever you want to play. Yes, they're going to continue to send optimizations down the pipeline because of the hardware, but you waiting on up to a hundred games to update is entirely your own doing: Steam has a very mature and tested system for handling starting/stopping updates to games at arbitrary times. Hence, if you trust desktop Steam to not break anything when you start a game while something else is updating, you should trust the Steam Deck, and if you don't have that trust, that's not a problem the system can fix; that's your brain to handle.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 13, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rosalie_A posted:

Emphasis added for clarity. There's no need to wait for every single update to use the thing, just the update for whatever you want to play. Yes, they're going to continue to send optimizations down the pipeline because of the hardware, but you waiting on up to a hundred games to update is entirely your own doing: Steam has a very mature and tested system for handling starting/stopping updates to games at arbitrary times. Hence, if you trust desktop Steam to not break anything when you start a game while something else is updating, you should trust the Steam Deck, and if don't have that trust, that's not a problem the system can fix, that's your brain to handle.

Ah, got it. I don't know why but I just expected linux steam to break more easily or something. Then again the last time I used linux extensively was back in 2009 where I remember breaking my xserver way too frequently because I wanted my desktop to do the spinning cube thing.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Dramicus posted:

I've got ~1000-ish games installed on my desktop

Holy poo poo how do you not have one hell of a time picking through what to play?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

chainchompz posted:

Holy poo poo how do you not have one hell of a time picking through what to play?

I've got a bad habit of buying games on sale, playing them for 30 minutes and thinking "this is fun, I'll play through it after I play through the other stuff I'm currently playing" and then I never get back to it. That's part of the reason why I got the Steam Deck, I'm using it to methodically play through games in my backlog. It's been working out well so far. I've knocked out a couple JRPGs since getting it. I think I've completed 4 60+ hour games on the Deck so far.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dramicus posted:

I've completed 4 60+ hour games on the Deck so far.

Rough math but that's roughly 20% of the time since the steam deck was launched. :aaaaa:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

Rough math but that's roughly 20% of the time since the steam deck was launched. :aaaaa:

I've completely stopped using my computer for games. It's a little silly, but for whatever reason I have more fun playing on the deck instead of my beefy desktop. The deck also makes it dangerously easy to fit some gaming in during work downtime. The sleep function works well.

Edit: Oh and some of those I already had 10 or so hours in them.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 13, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This is some cool hardware. The Metro Exodus Enhanced segments are not what I expected to be able to achieve on the Deck hardware - e: when running Windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhy0v_STh6k

v1ld fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 13, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I hope Epic can get UE5 running acceptably on the thing somehow.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Red Robin Hood posted:

Buy One Get One 15% off game store credit at Best Buy: https://bit.ly/3JHcGWp

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1514332244432752640

Good way to get a discount on some Steam credit (which I can't get a discount on anymore)

For those ordering decks in the near future, get some money off steam bucks.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah, I already had ~$330 banked from a previous Steam Wallet deal, but at least that one was digital.
I placed an order for another $200 here, but it's annoying because it'll take until Monday for them to deliver the physical cards.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus
Finally got my deck and It really puts everything else i've tried in the past few years to shame. There's issues for sure but the price point being less than a mediocre used GPU in my region, paired with the fact that it's actually been fun to play games again reaaaally makes me care a whole lot less about desktops/laptops.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sakara123 posted:

Finally got my deck and It really puts everything else i've tried in the past few years to shame. There's issues for sure but the price point being less than a mediocre used GPU in my region, paired with the fact that it's actually been fun to play games again reaaaally makes me care a whole lot less about desktops/laptops.

Agreed so hard. I was gonna say "I just wish I could play podcasts at the same time with some games" but apparently that's very easy to do as well I just need to install spotify

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

15 bucks off my Deck. Thanks!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Where do I get cheap steam bucks?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ihatepants posted:

My way to get a discount on Steam credit now is to sign up for a year of powerup rewards pro at gamestop for $15 then use the $5 monthly coupon on a $20 Steam card. Break even after first three months and then get 25% off of a steam card every month after. If you buy any other things from them it is also pretty easy to get enough rewards points to renew the next year for free.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's also a Best Buy discount on Steambux a few posts up from that one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Another Steam Deck order day, mine finally came up in the queue, i'm at the tail end of 22 minutes for 256GB so I expected it, I would expect anyone within 22-23 minutes getting their 256GB order alert today

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Mine popped up today too!
512 GB - Canada - Reserved T+11 min.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I should have never looked at that stupid fuckin timer. It looks like its going to be right.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Got an email today, 512 GB, EU, reserved ~1 hour after the start. The estimate according to the website posted earlier was end of May, so super happy it’s actually earlier.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

lordfrikk posted:

Got an email today, 512 GB, EU, reserved ~1 hour after the start. The estimate according to the website posted earlier was end of May, so super happy it’s actually earlier.
Likely because EU vs US!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

My prediction was for June 3rd. If they keep doing double weeks I guess I’ll get mine in the beginning of may.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Valve responded to my support ticket saying that they've confirmed that they received the Deck I returned (tracking says they got it on March 30th) and the replacement will ship in a few business days.

So probably Thursday or Friday next week I'm guessing, with the Easter bank holidays and the weekend. Probably finally get it in like two weeks, if I'm pessimistic. A month after they received it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Veotax posted:

Valve responded to my support ticket saying that they've confirmed that they received the Deck I returned (tracking says they got it on March 30th) and the replacement will ship in a few business days.

So probably Thursday or Friday next week I'm guessing, with the Easter bank holidays and the weekend. Probably finally get it in like two weeks, if I'm pessimistic. A month after they received it.

are you in the us?

got my return label today, probably sent it back after Eastern. I hope it won't take more than 12 business days to get a replacement.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

haldolium posted:

are you in the us?

got my return label today, probably sent it back after Eastern. I hope it won't take more than 12 business days to get a replacement.

The UK. Something got hosed up and I guess they didn't record it getting delivered at their facility in the Netherlands and never shipped my replacement until I started chasing them on Steam support.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Veotax posted:

The UK. Something got hosed up and I guess they didn't record it getting delivered at their facility in the Netherlands and never shipped my replacement until I started chasing them on Steam support.

ok thanks, then it's the same logistics center in NL. Hope it will go smoothly for my return..

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
drat I'm 9 seconds from the last dude who got theirs. So close....

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

y'all get your one?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Just got a notice that the label on mine was unreadable and got remade while being shipped. I'm already assuming that means it's been stolen and replaced with 4lbs of rocks.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Got my order in yesterday as well, 256gb eu, reserved 2.5 hours after it started.

E: also almost exactly on the date that was predicted by the calculator when I ran it at the start of March!

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

My prediction is that the Steam Deck won't be sold in Austraila until next year.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I feel like a dummy, but I can't figure out how to play Psychonauts on this thing. It defaults to kb+m bindings instead of controller, and I can't figure out how to change this. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

moosferatu posted:

I feel like a dummy, but I can't figure out how to play Psychonauts on this thing. It defaults to kb+m bindings instead of controller, and I can't figure out how to change this. Any ideas?

did you look through the community bindings?