Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:golfclap:

https://www.facebook.com/SecurSerUkraine/posts/337818125111771
Listen to Medvedchuk's guard describe what was going on.

tl;dr Medvedchuk was hiding out in a private house in Kyiv rented out by some supposed 'Italians', complete with cooks and bodyguards. Was secretly hoping the FSB would smuggle him out to Transnistria and then to Moscow.

https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1514464571108610050
https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1514465089071599616
Interesting graphic showing hardware
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1514384421981405185
Logistics at work, palletized load, forklift
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1514383125295607814

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Comstar posted:

GET ME DRACINFELS

Five minute guide on this warship and it’s sinking. I expect at least an hour on it!

He hardly ever does stuff after the 1950s, mainly due to getting access to classified documentation on ships & events.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

The current rumors are that it took a hit in the side, started leaning, and likely rolled over. Its likely at the bottom.

Free communication is a yer hosed situation stability wise.

https://man.fas.org/dod-101/navy/docs/swos/dca/stg4-03.html

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Hows the weather over the black sea? I'm sure our eyes in the sky can find it if its still floating

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Despera posted:

Hows the weather over the black sea? I'm sure our eyes in the sky can find it if its still floating

Storming, or at least was, so they couldn't see anything through the clouds. I'm sure it will be verified as being sunk or not within the next 24 hours.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

Storming, or at least was, so they couldn't see anything through the clouds. I'm sure it will be verified as being sunk or not within the next 24 hours.

It's not sunk, it's still patrolling the Black Sea (Floor).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

mmkay posted:

Davey Jones' Matryoshka

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

If it really was so badly damaged it rolled over, it's gone.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Alctel posted:

If it really was so badly damaged it rolled over, it's gone.

Regardless it's gone from this conflict for good. Even if it survived it will take months if not years to repair and refit.

I would love to have be a fly on the wall when Putin found out, if they have even told him yet.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Wow, even Japan is sending equipment over
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1514476775019106307

Hamelekim posted:

Regardless it's gone from this conflict for good. Even if it survived it will take months if not years to repair and refit.

I would love to have be a fly on the wall when Putin found out, if they have even told him yet.
I imagine they go through the scene from Downfall every week.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

Wow, even Japan is sending equipment over
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1514476775019106307

I imagine they go through the scene from Downfall every week.

Presumably in a much longer room, but yeah.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mmkay posted:

It's taking a victory bath

Just loving :laffo: at this. Had to go to bed before this was confirmed and it made my morning.

I guess they'd rather claim it was an accident because there's no war and Ukraine has been demilitarized so this way is less damaging to their narrative.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Hamelekim posted:

The good news is that the shipyard where it was built and later refit is very close. The bad news is that would be Mykolaiv.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Every time I start to forget that the russian state failed the messaging war to an almost incomprehensible degree, they do something like suggest their flagship blew itself up by accident rather than admit Ukraine destroyed it from shore.

The point at which you aren't allowed to admit military losses happened because of enemy action — and you literally have no fallback line besides having to pretend that this must just have happened because your flagship was a piece of poo poo that blew up on its own, and your enemy didn't even have to try or invest anything to get this to happen, and you don't understand why this is worse, just quit and do something else

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://mobile.twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/status/1514486639598391300
They better save more than 50 sailors, otherwise looking kind of bad

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Kavros posted:

Every time I start to forget that the russian state failed the messaging war to an almost incomprehensible degree, they do something like suggest their flagship blew itself up by accident rather than admit Ukraine destroyed it from shore.

The point at which you aren't allowed to admit military losses happened because of enemy action — and you literally have no fallback line besides having to pretend that this must just have happened because your flagship was a piece of poo poo that blew up on its own, and your enemy didn't even have to try or invest anything to get this to happen, and you don't understand why this is worse, just quit and do something else

Is this a sunk cost fallacy then?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CommieGIR posted:

They were using Anti-Ship missiles as artillery as well

Waiting for someone to deepfake Putin's face onto Peter Firth's and Zelensky's onto Sean Connery's in the scene where Ramius kills the Red October's political officer whose name is Putin.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

jmnmu posted:

There's an extensive network of :airquote: leftist progressive anti imperialist :airquote: streamers and pseudo journalists that all spew the exact same bullshit. It's an echo chamber of people mostly with traditional leftist beliefs that have been more or less radicalized by uncritically consuming propaganda. The key culprit that is likely straight up funded by Russia is the Grayzone, which refuses to disclose how they are funded and has a shady history of changing their views after visits to Russia. It's a lovely "anti imperialist" pseudo journalism website that actually has a considerable amount of influence. They generate little revenue but pay a decent amount of staff and send them to Russian/Syrian sponsored conferences. The major names distributing this garbage are Max Blumenthal and Aaron Mate who are seen as legitimate journalists in a growing community of viewers that view themselves as leftists. Aaron Mate has spent the last 5 or so years trying to downplay Russian intervention in the United States and has naturally transitioned into a Putin apologist and general Russian cheerleader during this war. He has made appearances at the UN at the request of Russia and has connections to the Russian state and RT. These guys are not journalists that try to seek a balanced understanding of a conflict, they straight up shill for Putin in a way that is attractive to western audiences that are skeptical of western institutions.

This echo chamber starts with the Grayzone but spreads to places like the Jimmy Dore show which has a very large audience that uncritically eats up this garbage. There's a whole bunch of comedians/pseudo journalists that are connected with RT that also contribute to this echo chamber. They make appearances on lots of media outlets like Rolling Stone, Fox News, among others. It gets even worse because these views are reinforced by numerous streamers that spend three hours everynight spewing this garbage in front of audiences of thousands of mostly 20/30 something western people. It's like a new form of Rush Limbaugh style radio, except it's done by streaming online in an echo chamber of poorly informed and knee jerk reactionary people that need something to rage against, and this particular echo chamber is targeted towards "leftists, marxist leninists, progressives, anti imperialists, etc." despite looking very similar to the far right and exclusively displaying anti imperialist disgust towards the West and not applying the same principles towards China or Russia. There's something like 20 or 30 somewhat prominent streamers that support these talking points that are validated by people like Blumenthal and Mate. The overall influence of this Grayzone echo chamber probably extends to millions of people, even if few people actually read their website.

This is an awful example of the online streamers I'm talking about : (spoilered and NMSed for those that don't want to see or promote this trash)

:nms:
The Dive with Jackson Hinkle (this guy is brutal)
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheDivewithJacksonHinkle

I'm pretty certain that somewhere in this web of bullshit is where these ideas were picked up.

This is a good post. I have one particular "friend" who is also part of this circle and it's absolutely staggering to me to see someone who's totally on the money when it comes to Palestine, Yemen, skepticism of media and many other issues but completely loving on board with anything China or Russia say or does.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Kavros posted:

I am genuinely curious as to how they plan on breaking the news to their population. Do they just hold a press conference one day and say “oh btw we actually lost 40k dead and 80k injured, have no more operational tanks and have had multiple ships sunk”?

Where is the off-ramp for them now other than a coup?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I was looking at the list of needed materiel at https://saveualist.com/ and noticed that while it lists strike aircraft it doesn't make any mention of fighter jets. Does that mean the transfers are going through?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

I was looking at the list of needed materiel at https://saveualist.com/ and noticed that while it lists strike aircraft it doesn't make any mention of fighter jets. Does that mean the transfers are going through?

Fighter jets are only useful against an enemy with a functional airforce.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Trump posted:

Is this a sunk cost fallacy then?

Ahaaaa :golfclap:

gay picnic defence posted:

I am genuinely curious as to how they plan on breaking the news to their population. Do they just hold a press conference one day and say “oh btw we actually lost 40k dead and 80k injured, have no more operational tanks and have had multiple ships sunk”?

Where is the off-ramp for them now other than a coup?

If the reality of the situation would make him look weak, he will never permit the reality of the situation to be said and will respond with progressively more and more fanatical fascism and crackdowns on "dissent" (which rapidly expands to mean anyone not obediently parroting the party-approved lies). The situation putin put himself in renders this war an existential concern for him as a strongman dictator.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Kavros posted:

They will probably start blaming NATO soon, like they do elsewhere. In their propaganda, they're at war with NATO (which means US) and Ukraine is only their pawn.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Payndz posted:

Waiting for someone to deepfake Putin's face onto Peter Firth's and Zelensky's onto Sean Connery's in the scene where Ramius kills the Red October's political officer whose name is Putin.

He kinda already looks somewhat like Putin, although I guess the Putin of 30 years ago.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I'm beginning to think that we would have a decent chance to counter a Russian amphibious assault on Gotland, even without NATO assistance.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Did Russia ever acknowledge that landing ship sunk or did they stick to the 'it was temporarily placed below water to assist firefighting efforts' line

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/status/1514486639598391300
They better save more than 50 sailors, otherwise looking kind of bad

Where are the sailors going to end up if they're picked up by a Turkish vessel? If it's heading to Crimea then I'm assuming they'll be returned but if it's heading to Turkey?

Could they also be handed over to Ukraine as POWs or would that be considered an aggressive act by the neutral nation?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Did Russia ever acknowledge that landing ship sunk or did they stick to the 'it was temporarily placed below water to assist firefighting efforts' line

They said it was damaged by a fire and the crew were safely evacuated. No mention of Ukraine or any casualties or the status of the ship.

I think a Turkish source has confirmed it sunk and at least 50 survivors pulled from the water by a Turkish rescue vessel.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

gay picnic defence posted:

They said it was damaged by a fire and the crew were safely evacuated. No mention of Ukraine or any casualties or the status of the ship.

I think a Turkish source has confirmed it sunk and at least 50 survivors pulled from the water by a Turkish rescue vessel.

nah I'm talking about the earlier ship sunk at port in berdyansk

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Fragrag posted:

Where are the sailors going to end up if they're picked up by a Turkish vessel? If it's heading to Crimea then I'm assuming they'll be returned but if it's heading to Turkey?

Could they also be handed over to Ukraine as POWs or would that be considered an aggressive act by the neutral nation?

Yeah Turkey isn't even on board with sanctions, taking Russian sailors prisoner would be a crazy move. They'll probably just go back to Crimea by boat

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fragrag posted:

Turkish prison?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Turkish prison?

I would assume that as a neutral party rescuing soldiers in possibly international waters, Turkey would return Russian sailers to Russian territory?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Neptun wasnt taken seriously even by Ukrainians and has been the object of mockery on the Ukrainian military podcast that I listen to - along with Oplot and the like (export-seeking vaporware in Russian tradition) so seeing it hit the jackpot is very satisfying.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ithink they are supposed to remain at the neutral party. At least thets how it worked in WWII when combatants ended up in Sweden.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Charliegrs posted:

Is the Moskva the first naval capital ship to be destroyed since the Falklands war?

Cruisers aren't capital ships.

The Slava-class are just boring missile cruisers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Carriers are the modern capital ship, though some also argue for ballistic missile submarines

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SourKraut posted:

I would assume that as a neutral party rescuing soldiers in possibly international waters, Turkey would return Russian sailers to Russian territory?
Yeah probably, that was supposed to be an "Airplane" joke.

Also I just rememberd that russians clamined to have destroyed all TB2s several times over lol. I'd really wanto to know what actually happened. Using drones to overwhelm anti-air defenses is like the textbook way to do this.

fatherboxx posted:

Neptun wasnt taken seriously even by Ukrainians and has been the object of mockery on the Ukrainian military podcast that I listen to - along with Oplot and the like (export-seeking vaporware in Russian tradition) so seeing it hit the jackpot is very satisfying.

Do you know what was supposedly wrong with them? Just the usual MIC boondoggle?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Why was the russian navy dependent on Turkish rescue vessels? Were their own ships too busy staying afloat in the storm to come rescue their dudes?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Probably just the closest ships able to respond quickly were Turkish and Romanian, it doesn't sound like the Moskva was moving as part of a fleet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Given they're now one of the few modern missiles with a proven track record there might be a few orders for them once they get their MIC up and running again.

I think there could be a fair bit of demand for those Stugna missiles too since interested parties have a pretty good idea of how well they blow up tanks.