Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Varadkar supports the living wage but thinks it's too complicated to link it to things that affect the cost of living.

https://twitter.com/CMacCaba/status/1514566930492964865

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I think there's another side to it too of people who think that the DUP aren't staunch enough of their defense of the kingdom.
They definitely seem to have failed to walk the line between the status-quo Unionist and the rabid wingnut Loyalist votes, so it's not exactly clear who their target is anymore.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is there any group that is appealing to the more "fervent" unionists?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

You looking to join?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

TUV? I dunno, I don't follow Norn Iron politics.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

TUV are the lads you want... or not... as the case may be.

Think DUP with a less Creationist but more Protestant Land For A Protestant People vibe. :rolleyes:

A pack of gobshites, the lot of them.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Aye it's the TUV which really aren't even a real party more than a rotating collection of everyone to the right of the DUP with one consistent leader.

They're definately gonna pick up some votes from the hardline but they're working from such a low base whether that will translate to more seats is a bit of a toss up.

Might get one in East Antrim and Lagan Valley but not sure if anything else is massively likely

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Got it. And do the TUV have anything more radical or has that been successfully stamped out? Sorry for asking so many basic questions, I'm just enjoying hearing about things "on the ground" vs how things are presented.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The TUV were a split off from the DUP, and spilt because they didn't want to powershare with Sinn Fein.

The two are almost the same, but TUV more anti-catholic. They consider all Sinn Fein as terrorists.

Hypocritical is the norm with them, the TUV leader was called out a few days ago for attending a Brexit Protocol rally standing beside a known killer of two catholics, which he found no qualms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-u6azsXiK0

They have nothing to offer as with the DUP, they just demand and offer no solutions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The howl of impotent rage into the void is a pretty strong draw for right wing parties the world over tbh.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Got it. And do the TUV have anything more radical or has that been successfully stamped out? Sorry for asking so many basic questions, I'm just enjoying hearing about things "on the ground" vs how things are presented.

As a registered political party? No. But organized bin-standing scumbags like Jamie Bryson, the golden son of the loyalist crowd, are even more militant (his whole deal recently is ranting about a catholic infiltration of the courts and professional services to bring about a united Ireland by stealth after all his lovely court cases kept failing).

Then there are the UDA and UVF aligned fellas who are broadly in agreement with Bryson but don't make themselves into public figures.

Definately been in an increase in loyalist agitation with all the anti protocol marches and a campaign of destroying and vandalizing the election posters of "themmuns" in "our" areas not to mention a recent incident where an election poster for the UUP leader had a noose drawn on it and left overlooking an anti-protocol march (which the UUP pulled out of because of increasing violent rhetoric) which the leader of the DUP had to remove himself.

Of course none of this stops Bryson getting on the loving radio every day

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I don't see what the DUP have to offer anyone in their traditional voter base? how are they even keeping anyone sweet up there? Its hardly atypical of them but they seem to be cutting off their nose to spite their face more than usual?

cant wait for the republics incoming sinn fein govt.

watch them not be able to change anything about how our economy works lol.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

I don't see what the DUP have to offer anyone in their traditional voter base? how are they even keeping anyone sweet up there? Its hardly atypical of them but they seem to be cutting off their nose to spite their face more than usual?

cant wait for the republics incoming sinn fein govt.

watch them not be able to change anything about how our economy works lol.

It's an election so their main offer, as usual, is "vote for us or the shinners will take control"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
As usual they're playing dirty by attending "protocol rallies" that the UUP leader recently stopped attending because they are inciting violence at them

they are just hoping that their base will be dumb enough to forget the last 6 odd years of politics and vote for them again, and sadly i predict a lot of them will

There is a chance quite a lot of their base will switch to the TUV for first preference, though, because Jeffrey Donaldson is seen a bit of a softy and nobody was really very sure who the first minister was after they deposed Arlene Foster. They've also run their media campaign focusing on health and education when much of their base is comprised of nutters who are angry about Soldier F or whatever the gently caress

This election is the best chance in about 20 years that the DUP gravy train will finally be derailed imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
This summer could be a very wild ride because the census results will start coming out very shortly after the election. If the shinners are the largest party and the census reveals that catholics are the majority here for the first time (both are very likely to happen), then there is going to be biblical levels of existential insecurity among loyalists

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
(response from the loyalist community to UUP leader withdrawing from protocol rallies because he feared they were inciting violence was to smash his constituency office windas and make death threats), standard really

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

...... the census reveals that catholics are the majority here for the first time...

This is more interesting and more important than the vote i think, even though i haven't made any contribution to that potential shift... and my sister pumped out eight for the :airquote: other side :airquote: (primary school teachers are weird). :chaostrump:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's interesting to see these sorts of things get reduced to an increasingly harder and harder core. Especially as the money appears to be drying up for them.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

kustomkarkommando posted:

It's an election so their main offer, as usual, is "vote for us or the shinners will take control"

Are the other unionist/loyalist parties not trying to take chunks out of them or are they actually the only game in town these days?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

Are the other unionist/loyalist parties not trying to take chunks out of them or are they actually the only game in town these days?

UUP are definately trying hard to do so this election, haven't directed the party to encourage any particular transfer pattern (though individual candidates are) and are focusing on cost of living stuff and trying to downplay border poll paranoia.

TUV definately trying to poach first preferences warning the DUP have gone soft but still ultimately agree on unionist unity transferring and have pretty much said vote for us first but then yes vote for the DUP second.

The DUP are still definately weaker than theyve been for a long time but have been heavily leaning on the old unionist unity angle to stop a complete collapse, their first preferences are likely to take a strong dip but they're hoping good transfer discipline can take some of the hard edge off their losses

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
for the purpose of comedy you should have a look at some of the "independent unionist" candidates because sometimes they are people who are so nuts that they weren't even allowed into the TUV

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I will end dog fighting, Sunday traffic, and also the secret satanic rituals that I know the teen-agers are involved in at night, with their hoods and candles and sony mini disc players.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
VOTE #1 NORMAN

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 36 hours!)

crispix posted:

VOTE #1 HARRY

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

crispix posted:

for the purpose of comedy you should have a look at some of the "independent unionist" candidates because sometimes they are people who are so nuts that they weren't even allowed into the TUV

That sounds like a certain level of frothing at the mouth that is hard to do.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ok sure but why did you post a picture of William Ulsterman

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Guavanaut posted:

I will end dog fighting, Sunday traffic, and also the secret satanic rituals that I know the teen-agers are involved in at night, with their hoods and candles and sony mini disc players.

Exactly the kind of religious intolerance I'd expect from Unionists

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Sith Lords should have NI accents.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

you usually get loads of "independent unionist" in council elections so a fair amount of it is stopping the pan nationalist plot to only collect my bins every two weeks

There's comparatively a handful of them that run at the assembly election that usually aim for a vague "I'm a reasonable person me" kind of thing - Sudgen in East (London)Derry who was justice minister as a compromise for a while and the DUPs former rep for North Down is also running as an independent this time around after the leaving the party and is probably in for a good shout

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

As i'm stuck in North Antrim i've got Jim Allister... mister TUV as one of my ballot choices, will vote tactically Alliance as usual. :rolleyes:

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

As i'm stuck in North Antrim i've got Jim Allister... mister TUV as one of my ballot choices, will vote tactically Alliance as usual. :rolleyes:

You have my immense sympathy at having to put up with that utter shitrag. Hopefully fate is kind to us all and the perpetually puse one gets that heart attack he has been courting for so long.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Sorry to just drop in, but I was wondering if Ireland was a good place to emigrate to? I'm an American who really doesn't want to be here. My current plan is to build some work history and then find a job in Ireland, as I speak no language other than English, meaning emigration to the continent is unlikely. How hard is it to get Irish citizenship as a foreigner? Is the economy good?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Sorry to just drop in, but I was wondering if Ireland was a good place to emigrate to? I'm an American who really doesn't want to be here. My current plan is to build some work history and then find a job in Ireland, as I speak no language other than English, meaning emigration to the continent is unlikely. How hard is it to get Irish citizenship as a foreigner? Is the economy good?

The economy is good if you can get a good job, but the housing market is pretty hosed so you will have serious trouble sorting out a decent living situation for yourself in Dublin if you don't have a good income.

I would not suggest a newcomer with no existing social network to move anywhere other than urban Dublin or Cork because you are likely to find it quite isolating (YMMV).

Your visa options are pretty much either have EU/Irish citizenship through a parent or grandparent, or else get a job to sponsor you (don't know anything about how that works in practice).

There's some other approaches - for example my American partner came here on a student visa and then transferred to a de facto relationship visa based on our having already cohabited for 2 years at that point. That's kind of a niche scenario though.

In general if you make the jump, we are an extremely friendly and welcoming people, but people often report it is difficult to create "deep" friendships as an adult in Ireland. Probably easier if you have hobbies or really put yourself out there.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Failed Imagineer posted:

The economy is good if you can get a good job, but the housing market is pretty hosed so you will have serious trouble sorting out a decent living situation for yourself in Dublin if you don't have a good income.

I would not suggest a newcomer with no existing social network to move anywhere other than urban Dublin or Cork because you are likely to find it quite isolating (YMMV).

Your visa options are pretty much either have EU/Irish citizenship through a parent or grandparent, or else get a job to sponsor you (don't know anything about how that works in practice).

There's some other approaches - for example my American partner came here on a student visa and then transferred to a de facto relationship visa based on our having already cohabited for 2 years at that point. That's kind of a niche scenario though.

In general if you make the jump, we are an extremely friendly and welcoming people, but people often report it is difficult to create "deep" friendships as an adult in Ireland. Probably easier if you have hobbies or really put yourself out there.

I don't have any non-online friends in America, so that's not a big issue. What's the renting situation like rn? It will likely be a few years before I move, but I'd like to keep track.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I don't have any non-online friends in America, so that's not a big issue. What's the renting situation like rn? It will likely be a few years before I move, but I'd like to keep track.

It's completely hosed. It's quite expensive and there is fairly little stock and it's competitive to get a place. I've also heard that it can be difficult to get a place from outside of Ireland, i.e. you need to physically show up and be good to go reasonably quickly.

That might be better in a couple of years, as there's currently a fairly large amount of apartment blocks being built as build-to-rents, so there should be a decent increase in newer rental stock, but still expect it to be a quite dysfunctional market

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

economys hosed, housings hosed. Executive branch fully paralysed by international capital. We're hosed we just don't realise it yet.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ukraine-refugees-4-5746724-Apr2022/

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 25, 2022

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
If you are on a good enough salary that you can afford around 1700-2000 a month that would get any of the build to rent corporate landlord places. Those would be easiest to arrange for someone outside of the country.

If you don't mind sharing you can reduce that to 1000-1200.

If it's a few years before you move then add 10% annually to the rent unless by some miracle the market unfucks itself.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's completely hosed. It's quite expensive and there is fairly little stock and it's competitive to get a place. I've also heard that it can be difficult to get a place from outside of Ireland, i.e. you need to physically show up and be good to go reasonably quickly.

That might be better in a couple of years, as there's currently a fairly large amount of apartment blocks being built as build-to-rents, so there should be a decent increase in newer rental stock, but still expect it to be a quite dysfunctional market

as somebody who did rent from abroad (london) before moving, it was a right loving pain, esp since I have cats. I estimate I phoned/emailed 50+ agents/places and the ONE that accepted was a 2k eur 2 bed ex-worker's cottage in the countryside not even in dublin county itself

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I What's the renting situation like rn? It will likely be a few years before I move, but I'd like to keep track.

Absolutely heinous. Don’t come here imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's hosed, and getting fuckeder every day.

Somehow I feel less hosed in Brexit London :negative: