Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF Game Glitch: it just kinda sat there mournfully twerking its rear end at the sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm surprised Kojima hasn't made a prestige TV series yet, it's clearly something he really wants to do

He's set up a studio in LA to do just that.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
One of the things I was proudest of in the game I made was how almost every cutscene can be interrupted by the player going "gently caress it, gonna start shooting now" or just ignoring whoever's talking to her and moving on, and that the NPCs will react accordingly. I think the one exception is right at the end, when one of the antagonists literally locks you in a room because he's so desperate to make you listen to the offer he's trying to make.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Did anyone at all laugh at the Oblivion glitch I posted two pages ago

I thought it was pretty funny :(

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah. I love oblivion glitch videos.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Phlegmish posted:

It was! Elder Scrolls glitches are always good for a laugh. It just got caught up in Metal Gearchat.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Phlegmish posted:

I always laugh at oblivion glitches. ALWAYS.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Phlegmish posted:

The best part was the split-second at the end when he goes back in the door and starts flipping out again.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
There are some pretty obvious, to me at least, "objectively correct" (Yes, objectively, to me. gently caress words) takes re: cutscenes.

1. They should be skippable.
2. Skipping them on your first playthrough IS engaging with the game in the wrong way. There are wrong ways to do things! This is fine. Playing Advance Wars as a romance sim is also engaging with the game in the wrong way. You're still allowed to try, but it's wrong.
3. They probably shouldn't be hella long.
4. Idiots will leave bad reviews based on flawed preconceptions whatever you do, so do something that is nice for good people instead.
5. Fight me.

Edit: Also, someone brought up "You can pause and rewind in movies". That's great!
6. cutscenes should have movie controls. Pause, rewind, fastforward. Also, any you've unlocked should be rewatchable, so if one is going on and you're out of time you can skip it without being hosed.

Phosphine has a new favorite as of 13:47 on Apr 14, 2022

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phosphine posted:

There are some pretty obvious, to me at least, "objectively correct" (Yes, objectively, to me. gently caress words) takes re: cutscenes.

2. Skipping them on your first playthrough IS engaging with the game in the wrong way. There are wrong ways to do things! This is fine. Playing Advance Wars as a romance sim is also engaging with the game in the wrong way. You're still allowed to try, but it's wrong.
4. Idiots will leave bad reviews based on flawed preconceptions whatever you do, so do something that is nice for good people instead.
5. Fight me.

Edit: Also, someone brought up "You can pause and rewind in movies". That's great!
6. cutscenes should have movie controls. Pause, rewind, fastforward. Also, any you've unlocked should be rewatchable, so if one is going on and you're out of time you can skip it without being hosed.

Yeah pretty much.Not a big fan of no. 5 up there, but otherwise, yup.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Arrath posted:

QTE's were the worst addition to gaming since you now have to be on your toes during cutscenes instead of enjoying it or zoning out.

From Software games are direct descendent of Dragon's Lair,

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Necrothatcher posted:

:yeshaha:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Phosphine posted:

5. Fight me.

There was a bunch of words in your post but I skipped them and am now ready to fight.

What are we fighting about again?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Necrothatcher posted:

i hope he gets mads :allears:

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1433432309793890305

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He should make a game where it's all weird sci-fi poo poo as usual but you're playing as Mads. Not as a character portrayed by Mads, just Mads

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

mrpwase posted:

There was a bunch of words in your post but I skipped them and am now ready to fight.

What are we fighting about again?

I don't know, but the mechanics of the fight are gonna be great.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Should’ve gone with Mads About You.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's a Mads, Mads, Mads, Mads World

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Will Mads have enough time, though? I hear he's busy with the Nuthead franchise.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

nota bene: most of the puns don't really work since Mads is pronounced more like "mass"

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Carthag Tuek posted:

nota bene: most of the puns don't really work since Mads is pronounced more like "mass"

So you're saying the game should be called Mads Effect?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Golden Dragon posted:

So you're saying the game should be called Mads Effect?

:hmmyes:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm Mads as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Those guys are kind of wonky. I had one manage to get its head stuck between a wall and a staircase, and it just kinda sat there mournfully twerking its rear end at the sky until I stopped laughing long enough to stab it to death.

When an Elden Ring monster disagrees with the terrain, it really disagrees with the terrain.

There's a secret catacombs with one of those big octopus ball enemies in it and those do not work well in enclosed spaces. It quickly got stuck and just started vibrating like crazy. Thankfully when you kill one they vanish so it didn't cause too many issues.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

Well now I just kinda feel like a Madshole

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
https://twitter.com/apel__/status/1514622227987189765?t=JpIPK-LymfmxRwTnDRBMWQ&s=19

Hooray...?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
did you know that snake spelled backwards is doki doki panic 2 in japan?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PhazonLink posted:

did you know that snake spelled backwards is doki doki panic 2 in japan?

Napaj ni 2 cinap ikod ikod?

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Phosphine posted:

5. Fight me.

7. there should be more games that just don't have them cuz they're loving annoying at least 99% of the time.

In the thousands of games I've played in my life I'm betting there were fewer than 10 cutscenes I actually enjoyed. Which makes it absolutely asinine to have people insist everyone should watch them the first time through. I typically do because I want to know the premise of the games I play, but it would be much preferable if they conveyed that in a way that's actually suitable for a video game, that is to say, something that at least pretends to be interactable.

Of course, we all have different tastes but as time goes on cutscenes just seem to get more and more ubiquitous and anything that leads to that level of homogeneity in game design is categorically bad.

Also games should almost never start with a cutscene. The player should be given control of their character first and be able to faff about a bit to get a feel for what the game is like / configure settings / see if the game runs adequately.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I miss the days when a cutscene was a fuckin reward

Prerendered cutscenes I find annoying now, since we've reached a point where our systems can render the cutscene in real time and have it look just as good, if not better. Max Payne 3 and some of the Yakuza games have cutscenes that use all in-game models and textures but are prerendered, and you can tell because the frame rate is cut in half and everyone looks a little blurry. Max Payne 3 was especially awkward for me because actually the videos were rendered at what seemed like the same resolution I was playing, and I didn't realize these were prerendered; I just kept wondering why every third cutscene everything drops to 30 fps.

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Apr 15, 2022

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I miss Wing Commander cut scenes.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I always liked the cutscenes in ff7 that used the weird overworld models way more than the ones with the more detailed character designs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISLereSDJbo

These little lego guys are my friends that I've been playing with the whole time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlu_KK1YIuA

I don't know those people, why are their chins so drat pointy

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Live, in-engine cutscenes are the best, for the simple reason that just like ever more advanced physics: they allow for wonderful gently caress ups to occur.

A very tame one for example, from the first Halo: I triggered the level ending cutscene with enemies still alive in the area, so the chief stood there chatting while taking hits and grunting, until he died. The body was then teleported out and on to the next mission. It was great.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I remember back in the day playing pirated games that didn't have any cutscenes where they were supposed to because they got stripped out to reduce the download size.

Also cutscenes are always gonna be a divisive topic but one thing we can all agree on is giving players the option to skip them if they so choose.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I loved swapping ff7 discs to gently caress up which fmv played and when
https://youtu.be/8WNBtzp5dw4
Enjoy whatever accent this is

Upsidads has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Apr 15, 2022

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Getting strong "Engrish Knife Commerical" vibes from that guy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I remember back in the day playing pirated games that didn't have any cutscenes where they were supposed to because they got stripped out to reduce the download size.

Also cutscenes are always gonna be a divisive topic but one thing we can all agree on is giving players the option to skip them if they so choose.
Reminding me of the famous Deus Ex warez glitch. The level change script to get off tutorial island required a successful play of a sound effect. They stripped the sound effect out for size and their trial run before uploading didn't bother finishing the first level unleashing a wave of confused people confusing other people asking why they can't leave Liberty Island.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

zedprime posted:

Reminding me of the famous Deus Ex warez glitch. The level change script to get off tutorial island required a successful play of a sound effect. They stripped the sound effect out for size and their trial run before uploading didn't bother finishing the first level unleashing a wave of confused people confusing other people asking why they can't leave Liberty Island.

I always wondered about that one. Given that the people who played the :filez: version got exactly the same amount of gameplay as the demo, I suspect that the programmers did that on purpose.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Gynovore posted:

I always wondered about that one. Given that the people who played the :filez: version got exactly the same amount of gameplay as the demo, I suspect that the programmers did that on purpose.

Yeah that's what I always heard, though it sounded apocryphal, that they secretly released the game but with this one little teehee glitch.

If I remember right, my :filez: copy of Red Alert 2 would blow up my base after a few minutes of play. What was up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I always enjoyed the way the Half Life series did cutscenes; as "live" things where the characters sat around and conversed while you were free to wander the room and whip whatever loose objects were around at their heads. But my favorite story, from this thread or the previous one no less, was of.... one of the metal gear games, I think? Where early in the game you're put into a cutscene with the BBEG, them up on a walkway on the other side of the room, monologing at you. But the thing is, it wasn't a cutscene, you were free to move and do as you wished. This included whipping out your sniper rifle and capping the boss in the face mid-sentence. If you did that, the scene ended immediately and you could just move right along. And then at the end of the game, the big final boss arena is empty, no battle takes place, and you basically just stroll on through. Because you loving shot the guy mid-speech at the beginning of the game.