Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Erghh posted:

https://www.wired.com/story/as-climate-fears-mount-some-are-relocating-within-the-us/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

quote:

Keenan, who studies the intersection of climate change adaptation and the built environment, estimated that 50 million Americans could eventually move within the country to regions such as New England or the Upper Midwest in search of a haven from severe climate impacts. He predicted that migration driven by increasingly uninhabitable coastal areas is likely to happen sooner rather than later, citing the latest federal estimate that US coastal sea levels will rise by as much as a foot by 2050. Another projection, by Matthew Hauer, an assistant professor of sociology at Florida State University, is that 13.1 million Americans will relocate because of sea level rise alone by 2100, based on projections that seas along the US coast will rise by an average of 1.8 meters—nearly 6 feet—by then.

What's this going to mean for the makeup of the US House and Senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Rip Testes posted:

What's this going to mean for the makeup of the US House and Senate.

still 50% dirt by 2100, but more of the mangled bodies will be from central states

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Mameluke posted:

how come a loving primordial log is better at delaying entropy than us

I don't know, but my new startup is selling NFT's of 30-50 primordial logs to fight climate change. Can we count on your support to fight for a greener future?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mameluke posted:

how come a loving primordial log is better at delaying entropy than us

Whatever, let's see how much better that stupid log is when all the forests catch fire. Ha!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/increase-in-atmospheric-methane-set-another-record-during-2021

quote:

For the second year in a row, NOAA scientists observed a record annual increase in atmospheric levels of methane, a powerful, heat-trapping greenhouse gas that’s the second biggest contributor to human-caused global warming after carbon dioxide.

NOAA’s preliminary analysis showed the annual increase in atmospheric methane during 2021 was 17 parts per billion (ppb), the largest annual increase recorded since systematic measurements began in 1983. The increase during 2020 was 15.3 ppb. Atmospheric methane levels averaged 1,895.7 ppb during 2021, or around 162% greater than pre-industrial levels. From NOAA’s observations, scientists estimate global methane emissions in 2021 are 15% higher than the 1984-2006 period.
everyone here already knew this but still loving lol 2021 was a pandemic year with less driving, less air travel, etc and still set massive records

methane rise is particularly insane

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i was expecting an audible bang when the clathrate gun fired

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Xaris posted:

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/increase-in-atmospheric-methane-set-another-record-during-2021

everyone here already knew this but still loving lol 2021 was a pandemic year with less driving, less air travel, etc and still set massive records

causing an 18% increase in anything on a global scale in my lifetime is probably bad. but hey what do i know? i have a phd in physics, not atmospheric methane concentrations. also you shouldn't listen to the people who do have phds in atmospheric methane concentrations because they are just paid in grant money to think it's bad.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I've been wondering that as well, how does drinking tree blood affect them

Turns them into sapsuckers - every spring they get up on the roof and drum out mad beats with their foreheads.

This is one of my staving-off-end-of-the-world-depression projects. I'm going to make a little steel drum kit for our local male red-breasted sapsucker to display on. Right now I put an extension ladder against the eaves in the spring and he beats out his horniness on that instead of the shake roof. I'll either make him the most powerful male in the neighbourhood or there will be a minor sapsucker war for possession.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
but when i beat out my horniness under the eaves, it's a problem somehow???

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
Realizing today how much of my insanity is structured around the realization I had years ago that SHITS hosed and attempting to rationalize and respond to the situation, which means ultimately changing my relationship with death in probably not a preferable way. america's social structures are so hosed just hollowed out totally. and not just obvious things like the government or corporations, but professionals and individuals and their personalities and attitudes and habits. everything is so corrupt. and then i want to eat a three pound bag of potato chips which okay i guess congratulations hegemony i guess that was the point all along

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
all the good drugs are bad and all the bad drugs are good in 21st century america!!!

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
edit: triple post sorry

Oolb has issued a correction as of 10:52 on Apr 14, 2022

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Xaris posted:

lol

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Even if we stopped all emissions right now, we're locked in to what climate scientists call "the cool zone"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mike the TV posted:

Even if we stopped all emissions right now, we're locked in to what climate scientists call "the cool zone"

ironically, the cool zone will be very warm

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
It's ok, as long as we don't pass 1.5C, we're good to go as scientists have said for decades that anything above that creates nightmare world

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Xaris posted:

uh and the increase in methane is driven by "biological" sources like wetlands and cow farts, which indicates that we're in a negative feedback loop. I'm sure thawing permafrost will also help.

quote:

Frigid temperatures and short growing seasons have long limited the decomposition of dead plants and organic matter in northern ecosystems. Because of this, nearly 50% of global soil organic carbon is stored in these frozen soils.

The abrupt transitions we’re seeing today – lakes becoming drained basins, shrub tundra turning into ponds, lowland boreal forests becoming wetlands – will not only hasten the decomposition of buried permafrost carbon, but also the decomposition of above-ground vegetation as it collapses into water-saturated environments.

Climate models suggest the impacts of such transitions could be dire. For example, a recent modeling study published in Nature Communications suggested permafrost degradation and associated landscape collapse could result in a 12-fold increase in carbon losses in a scenario of strong warming by the end of the century.

This is particularly important because permafrost is estimated to hold twice as much carbon as the atmosphere today. Permafrost depths vary widely, exceeding 3,000 feet in parts of Siberia and 2,000 feet in northern Alaska, and rapidly decrease moving south. Fairbanks, Alaska, averages around 300 feet (90 meters). Studies have suggested that much of the shallow permafrost, 10 feet (3 meters) deep or less, would likely thaw if the world remains on its current warming trajectory.

To add insult to injury, in water-logged environments lacking oxygen, microbes produce methane, a potent greenhouse gas 30 times more effective at warming the planet than carbon dioxide, though it doesn’t stay in the atmosphere as long.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

T-Paine posted:

It's ok, as long as we don't pass 1.5C, we're good to go as scientists have said for decades that anything above that creates nightmare world

Actually since 1.5C is inevitable now we have moved those goalposts to 4-8C

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
https://twitter.com/whoweekly/status/1514266995725942785

And it's completely sustainable!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Actually since 1.5C is inevitable now we have moved those goalposts to 4-8C

Exactly. We have nothing to worry about

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I do rich peoples gardening, and even the more seemingly humble down to earth ones (who may put out progressive signs/flags and little Buddha statues, or claim they want to be close to nature) own multiple properties, usually with lots of lawn. They pay me to use gas powered weedwackers leafblowers and chainsaws for hours in order to make their property look nice, and then haul the brush and leaves away with diesel trucks. Sometimes they are not at these homes even 50% of the year.

I'd love to bring this thread energy to them (strictly conversationally of course) but I fear I'd lose my job. Why do I do it? Well aside from *gestures at a large easel that reads CAPATALISM*, I like physical work and being in nature. I get to plant and care for all sorts of vegetables, trees, and flowers, and sometimes I get to watch wildlife interact (a half dozen horses lazily herd irritated geese around a paddock, a fox shows off its dance moves and poses for us, a porcupine brazenly and sloppily prunes a tree we were meant to prune).

Plus my bosses are great and have the utmost consideration for us when it comes to our health and personal matters, unlike basically every other job I've had. They know my "politics" and cheekily describe what we do as "micro wealth redistribution". I can work basically every daylight hour 6 days a week for most of the year, and I get to work through the winter shoveling and doing firewood. If that doesn't sound like a good thing to you, consider the ramifications of more time off, less money, an appetite for news and a great thirst and capacity for whiskey.

Anyway I guess this is my confession of complicity in society, but surely we all have one as you can't shitpost living off the grid as an uncompromising naturalist.

Is there any kind of running bets on how long before we see eco-terrorist planeteers summon a wrathful avatar of Gaia to put an immediate halt to our unstoppable trajectory of short sighted greed? *note* you can't speculate or bet if that describes you. Well I guess if you're a wrathful avatar of Gaia you can do whatever you please and I suppose I should kneel before you and appeal for absolution.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I got really excited seeing a pack of turkeys hanging out on my commute for the first time ever yesterday but then i realized this just means they are being driven from wherever turkeys usually hang out into the sprawling outskirts of a major metro suburban area and their prospects aren't great waddling toward four lane highways and multiple interstates

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

so if it costs "almost as many joules" that means we can break even on it!!

put a coal generation plant everywhere so we can keep society going on treading carbon water with the tiny extra juice left over

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

BRJurgis posted:

Anyway I guess this is my confession of complicity in society, but surely we all have one as you can't shitpost living off the grid as an uncompromising naturalist.

The nice thing about those small lawnmower and leaf blower engines is that they have zero regulation around emissions or engine efficiency, so they are spewing out the truly nasty poo poo like nitrogen/sulfur oxides. You really don't want to breathe that all day.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

BRJurgis posted:

hi5 my dude, all of us are contributing in our own ways to the great dying, have fun with it

you don't have to worry about eco-terrorism because you can't terrorize humans into consuming less

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Every once in a while I remember that most of the co2 emitted by human activity has been put out in my lifetime. not even 30 yet. Only going up from here

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mola Yam posted:

but when i beat out my horniness under the eaves, it's a problem somehow???

The secret is the charisma that comes from drinking tree blood.

I'm not sure about cancel culture (1950s communist witch hunts and all that) but it feels like these people need to be shunned hard.

Before today I had no idea who Heidi Montag is. Jerry Mander's Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television is as relevant now as it was when he wrote it in the 70s. The medium is unreformable.

I'm having my doubts about the Internet too, even with running ad blockers.

BRJurgis posted:

I do rich peoples gardening, and even the more seemingly humble down to earth ones (who may put out progressive signs/flags and little Buddha statues, or claim they want to be close to nature) own multiple properties, usually with lots of lawn. They pay me to use gas powered weedwackers leafblowers and chainsaws for hours in order to make their property look nice, and then haul the brush and leaves away with diesel trucks. Sometimes they are not at these homes even 50% of the year.

At least try to get them to consume their way out of the problem by replacing the gas tools with electric (and lots and lots of batteries). Cleaning up the mess left by climate change storms is so much nicer when you aren't breathing 2 cycle smoke and the new electrics are awesome.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hexigrammus posted:

Before today I had no idea who Heidi Montag is. Jerry Mander's Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television is as relevant now as it was when he wrote it in the 70s. The medium is unreformable.

I'm having my doubts about the Internet too, even with running ad blockers.

yeah i agree, I'm interested in that book, do his arguments also apply to movies? what about... watching a movie on your television :p

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Because of the plastic!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
I've read Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television and In The Absence of the Sacred. They're definitely dated, but good reads. Pretty much the reason why I don't watch TV, or rarely watch movies, these days.

Edit: I still see the internet as a superior medium to television, as you - the viewer - can actually meaningfully interact with, and even shape, the material we enjoy together. An example is this forum: I can read your thoughts, provide my own response, and then continue to have a delightful conversation that we've built together. This sort of interactivity is not possible through a television screen. It's a forum - a digital agora!

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 16:28 on Apr 14, 2022

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm not sure about cancel culture (1950s communist witch hunts and all that) but it feels like these people need to be shunned hard.
Cancel culture is loving rad and can't hurt you unless you have a platform and monetarily rely on other people viewing, voting for, or buying from you. I'm obviously canceled by at least one poster (see red text) but it's not going to stop me from advocating for Trans rights or acceptance. It's not about me or people liking me. When folks bitch about cancel culture all I see is somebody who thinks they're bold for yelling their opinion at the world, but is a whiney baby when not everybody agrees with or likes them. Bonus hilarity when theyre the toxic masculinity type who call others sheeple.

Not saying thats you.

quote:

At least try to get them to consume their way out of the problem by replacing the gas tools with electric (and lots and lots of batteries). Cleaning up the mess left by climate change storms is so much nicer when you aren't breathing 2 cycle smoke and the new electrics are awesome.

Our (small) company owns our equipment and has been slowly integrating battery powered stuff, but there are obvious logistical difficulties (and my bosses live much more similarily to me than our clients). We are lucky to have a network of local produce, meat, and eggs and frequently "joke" about our survivalist commune after the collapse.

Ultimately another example of the little guy (individuals, laborers, small businesses) being faced with making sacrifices that will not nearly be enough, while staring clear eyed into the machine that ends the world opening its maw ever wider.

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.

This turned out to be a public outrage campaign meant to promote reusable water bottles: http://s1nglesjeans.com/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think the jeans were a joke

beaten

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wakko posted:

you don't have to worry about eco-terrorism because you can't terrorize humans into consuming less

how do you know?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i want soldiers stationed at every kitchen trash can

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Real hurthling! posted:

i want soldiers stationed at every kitchen trash can

I believe they call it a com post, sir.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

BRJurgis posted:

Cancel culture is loving rad and can't hurt you unless you have a platform and monetarily rely on other people viewing, voting for, or buying from you. I'm obviously canceled by at least one poster (see red text) but it's not going to stop me from advocating for Trans rights or acceptance. It's not about me or people liking me. When folks bitch about cancel culture all I see is somebody who thinks they're bold for yelling their opinion at the world, but is a whiney baby when not everybody agrees with or likes them. Bonus hilarity when theyre the toxic masculinity type who call others sheeple.

why don't we just cancel climate change then?? deplatformed, it can't hurt us any more.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Hubbert posted:

I believe they call it a com post, sir.

lmao

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Karach posted:

why don't we just cancel climate change then?? deplatformed, it can't hurt us any more.

Cancel everything. Grab all your possessions and jump into a landfill. Throws dirt at passersby. Hiss and bare your teeth at your own reflection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wow unfortunate that we don’t have nuclear energy

oh well better burn more coal