Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedHood88
Apr 13, 2022

Sir Kodiak posted:

... it's good for your mental health to be productive in a way that produces tangible results in your immediate environment. I don't want to paint with too broad a brush, but people do generally feel better about themselves when they feel useful and being able to see the results of your actions makes it much easier to feel useful. And I'm not saying that productivity has to have some symbolic relationship to climate change the way How are u is—though if that works for you I don't see a problem with it ...

There's a climate festival happening in my state's capital and I want to wear the "scientist rebellion" logo. Though I am not a scientist myself, I would like to wear this to support them along with, you know, educating myself in what I can do to get people's attention. This will indeed help me feel useful and I'm hoping as a layman showing other regular folk how climate scientists are responding to how our environment is being poorly handled, the logo will catch their eyes and hopefully ask me what it's all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1514335931284738052?s=21&t=5qusxgQpo03vGKSj2EhkaQ

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Amazing how real life is more cringe than that movie

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

What are you trying to accomplish when you do this?

Gauge and prod how offline people deal with climate change. I sometimes ask people in passing about the future in hopes they may impart some wisdom I had missed, but never once have I heard a single mention of CC by any of the mid-20's-30's people I interacted with these past 10 years.
Everyone is just making babies and buying houses they will never pay off. Same old poo poo its always been.

BRJurgis posted:

Be angry, disenfranchised, loud and unsatisfied. Be an anti-consumer. Be strong, be a fighter, a soldier. We need that strength and intent whether we are to accomplish our goals or simply survive. And be strong for those who can't, that we might show the promise of a better way simply through our legacy.

Years of reading about this has completely broken my brain beyond repair. I'm at acceptance, but not the good and wholesome kind. Frankly I dont even think it's right TO WANT to feel good anymore. Doing meaningless bullshit like recycling or getting an electric might ease your grieve but it will never be enough to soothe the soul if your brain can put more than 2 and 2 together. I think that anger should be maintained. This isn't some unfortunate weather event we'll just have to tough out. It's the cumulative cost of greed of the entire system and those who defend, worship and participate in it crashing down upon you in real-time. Sets of actions of men whom you've never met who traded any possible hope and prospects of the future for their own exclusive benefit-- now starting a cascade of death this planet hasn't seen for a while, maybe ever. What does the law say about something like that? Who would you even prosecute?

I think there comes a point where you crackping hard enough you just go full comicbook villain. I honestly dont care about being a fighter or a "soldier" for any "goal" because the time has passed to save anything. I dont care for legacies because I doubt we're getting out of this century alive in any meaningful capacity. We are never going to leave this rock and will drown in our own hubris as the climate slowly suffocates and dismantles the only system we've ever had or known. So I dont really give a poo poo anymore and I'd like to stop pretending there's a light at the end of this tunnel. Sometimes poo poo doesn't work out that way. Personally I'd rather earn just enough cash to buy my daily dose of booze and weed and hope I'll last long enough to witness some rich rear end in a top hat get deleted on live television.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Tony Tone posted:

Gauge and prod how offline people deal with climate change. I sometimes ask people in passing about the future in hopes they may impart some wisdom I had missed, but never once have I heard a single mention of CC by any of the mid-20's-30's people I interacted with these past 10 years.
Everyone is just making babies and buying houses they will never pay off. Same old poo poo its always been.

Years of reading about this has completely broken my brain beyond repair. I'm at acceptance, but not the good and wholesome kind. Frankly I dont even think it's right TO WANT to feel good anymore. Doing meaningless bullshit like recycling or getting an electric might ease your grieve but it will never be enough to soothe the soul if your brain can put more than 2 and 2 together. I think that anger should be maintained. This isn't some unfortunate weather event we'll just have to tough out. It's the cumulative cost of greed of the entire system and those who defend, worship and participate in it crashing down upon you in real-time. Sets of actions of men whom you've never met who traded any possible hope and prospects of the future for their own exclusive benefit-- now starting a cascade of death this planet hasn't seen for a while, maybe ever. What does the law say about something like that? Who would you even prosecute?

I think there comes a point where you crackping hard enough you just go full comicbook villain. I honestly dont care about being a fighter or a "soldier" for any "goal" because the time has passed to save anything. I dont care for legacies because I doubt we're getting out of this century alive in any meaningful capacity. We are never going to leave this rock and will drown in our own hubris as the climate slowly suffocates and dismantles the only system we've ever had or known. So I dont really give a poo poo anymore and I'd like to stop pretending there's a light at the end of this tunnel. Sometimes poo poo doesn't work out that way. Personally I'd rather earn just enough cash to buy my daily dose of booze and weed and hope I'll last long enough to witness some rich rear end in a top hat get deleted on live television.
Gonna preface this by saying while I agree we should feel angry and acknowledge the wrongness,, obviously you should prioritize your mental health to a certain point only you can determine.

I don't really see our disagreement so long as you haven't committed to giving up. It's, uh, difficult to talk about the area between my post and yours since we have basically no power or control by which to combat this legally, and even things we can't discuss wouldn't be achieve our goals under current conditions. Given the circumstances, even continuing to sound the alarm and being ready for change is objectively better than totally checking out. I may be a broken comic book villian myself, because feeling like I know my fight and my enemy (even if that enemy is a relatively intangible concept or worldview) gives me a sense of balance and fulfillment, a way to exist in this world in (relative) peace with myself.

The universe is chaotic. People are exasperated, angry, disenfranchised. Systems fail. If that energy was increasingly aligned with climate preservation instead of indiscriminate rage at the world, I can think of some more favorable evening news stories than what we currently endure.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The time has definitely not passed to "save anything". That's simply untrue. Timely article:

‘Historic’: global climate plans can now keep heating below 2C, study shows
But goal of limiting global heating to 1.5C will fail without immediate action, scientists warn

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/apr/13/historic-global-climate-plans-can-now-keep-heating-below-2c-study-shows

quote:

For the first time the world is in a position to limit global heating to under 2C, according to the first in-depth analysis of the net zero pledges made by nations at the UN Cop26 climate summit in December.

Before these pledges it was more than likely that at the peak of the climate crisis there would be a temperature rise above 2C, bringing more severe impacts for billions of people. Now it is more likely that the peak temperature rise will be about 1.9C.

However, the researchers said this depended on all nations implementing their pledges on time and in full, and warned that the policies to do so were not in place. The pledges also include those that developing countries have said will not happen without more financial and technical support.

Achieving the pledges needed for the 2C limit was a “historic milestone” and good news, the scientists said. However, they said the bad news was that the cuts in global emissions currently planned by 2030 were way off track to keep the peak below 1.5C. That is the global goal, but currently there is less than a 10% chance of hitting that target.

People across the planet are already facing intensifying heatwaves, floods and storms with the 1.2 C of heating caused by humanity’s emissions to date, and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) warned in 2018 of far worse if heating continues above 1.5C.

The 2C limit being within reach was “big news”, said Christophe McGlade at the International Energy Agency, a member of the team behind the new analysis. “It’s the first time that governments have come forward with specific targets that can hold global warming to below the symbolic 2C level.”

“These results are clearly a cause for optimism,” he added. “We’ve come a long way since the Paris agreement was signed back in 2015. But now the real work has to start. The pledges have not yet been backed up by the strong and credible near-term policies needed to make them a reality.”

Prof Malte Meinshausen, at the University of Melbourne, Australia, another team member, said having the 2C limit in sight was a “historic milestone”.

But he said: “Our study also clearly shows that increased action this decade is necessary. Otherwise, we’re going to blast through the remaining carbon budget for 1.5C.” A major IPCC report earlier in April said global emissions must peak and start to fall within 30 months to keep the 1.5C target alive.

The new analysis, published in the journal Nature, is the first peer-reviewed study to assess the peak temperature rise that would result from countries fulfilling their pledges. It used two independent modelling approaches, one of which assessed more than 1,400 different scenarios and included recent pledges on shipping and aviation emissions.

By the end of Cop26, 153 nations had submitted new climate pledges to the UN, with countries responsible for 75% of global greenhouse gas emissions committing to reach net zero between 2050 and 2070. These have made the 2C limit a possibility, though the scientists warned that uncertainties about how the planet responds to rising emissions meant there remained a 5% chance of a temperature above 2.8C.

The climate policies actually in place today would mean a peak of about 2.6C, leading to “massive climate damages around the world”, said McGlade. The commitments made by countries so far up to 2030 only cut that peak to 2.4C. The IPCC has said that limiting heating to 1.5C requires reducing CO2 emissions by 45% by 2030 compared with 2010.

But emissions were on track to rise by 7-15% by 2030, a “sobering assessment”, the scientists said, with any delay in action putting 1.5C “out of reach”. If the world does overshoot this target, then ensuring a “livable future” would rely on a massive rollout of technology that can suck CO2 from the air, as well as large-scale reforestation.

The new research gave a much clearer picture of our likely climate future, said Frances Moore, at the University of California, and Zeke Hausfather, the climate research lead at Stripe, in a commentary in Nature. They said it showed the goal of ratcheting up the initial climate pledges made in 2015 in Paris had been “partially realised”.

“But optimism should be curbed until promises to reduce emissions in the future are backed up with stronger short-term action,” they said. “It is easy to set ambitious climate targets for 30, 40 or even 50 years in the future, but it is much harder to enact the policies [needed] today.”

Moore and Hausfather also warned of the danger of geopolitical tensions, including Russia’s war in Ukraine: “It would be a mistake to rule out a future characterised by resurgent nationalism that strains global cooperation and leads to increasing reliance on domestic fossil-fuel resources and a corresponding rise in emissions.”

“Policymakers are standing at a crossroads,” said McGlade. “We can choose to lock in emissions and deepen the energy crisis. Or we can use this moment to take an honest step towards a cleaner, safer future.”

McGlade said there were many policies that could make immediate or near-term impacts on the energy and climate crises, including reducing speed limits on roads, accelerating the rollout of renewable energy and electric vehicles, and stopping the venting of methane, a powerful greenhouse gas, from oil and gas production facilities and putting it into supply instead.

If anything, we are in a critical moment in time where big policy changes could make enormous differences decades from now. It's more important than it has ever been to get engaged with climate activism, progressive political activism, and to dedicate as much time and energy as you possibly can to trying to make this possible.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

The time has definitely not passed to "save anything". That's simply untrue. Timely article:

‘Historic’: global climate plans can now keep heating below 2C, study shows
But goal of limiting global heating to 1.5C will fail without immediate action, scientists warn

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/apr/13/historic-global-climate-plans-can-now-keep-heating-below-2c-study-shows

If anything, we are in a critical moment in time where big policy changes could make enormous differences decades from now. It's more important than it has ever been to get engaged with climate activism, progressive political activism, and to dedicate as much time and energy as you possibly can to trying to make this possible.

Are you aware that climate scientists have been protesting and getting arrested? And that it has received almost zero media coverage?

We're the Titanic. It's way too late for the types of drastic policy changes that would be needed to achieve even sub-2C.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
Lol, cool "plans", just like the Paris "plans" or any other CC-related summit/agreement/pinky promise where nations totally pledged to reduce emissions and then just kept everything running normal in plain sight.

Scientists have been begging for immediate action for years. Each time what little action is taken is ineffective and limp, or just stupid token bullshit that helps nothing like paper straws. Any progress the Western sphere makes in fighting emissions is also entirely offset by the rest of the developing world right now doing everything they can to get as close as possible to the Western lifestyle and quality emitting even more emissions in the process. You cant even protest this poo poo in public, people will rip you apart the moment you interrupt their daily routines to work, it's a very weak topic in politics and a very unsexy topic in the media and thus has an even slimmer chance translating into effective climate friendly policy.

This is why these kind of articles don't really impress me anymore, it feels like deja vu, just like with the articles warning about the ppm threshold and the rest of the world just doubling down each year blowing past it.

Tony Tone fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 14, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Are you aware that climate scientists have been protesting and getting arrested? And that it has received almost zero media coverage?

We're the Titanic. It's way too late for the types of drastic policy changes that would be needed to achieve even sub-2C.

The climate scientists in the article I shared specifically say it is not too late. That's the entire article. That's why it's more important than ever to join in efforts to bring about those drastic policy changes.

Are you arguing that we can't succeed, so why try?

e: like, you can disagree with the article, but could you point out where you disagree with the scientists rather than a blanket "it's way too late"? They're not painting a rosy picture or saying "everything will be fine". They acknowledge very clearly how difficult the task is.

How are u fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 14, 2022

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

The climate scientists in the article I shared specifically say it is not too late. That's the entire article. That's why it's more important than ever to join in efforts to bring about those drastic policy changes.

I read the article. Specifically, this part:

quote:

However, the researchers said this depended on all nations implementing their pledges on time and in full, and warned that the policies to do so were not in place. The pledges also include those that developing countries have said will not happen without more financial and technical support.

Achieving the pledges needed for the 2C limit was a “historic milestone” and good news, the scientists said. However, they said the bad news was that the cuts in global emissions currently planned by 2030 were way off track to keep the peak below 1.5C. That is the global goal, but currently there is less than a 10% chance of hitting that target.

People across the planet are already facing intensifying heatwaves, floods and storms with the 1.2 C of heating caused by humanity’s emissions to date, and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) warned in 2018 of far worse if heating continues above 1.5C.

The 2C limit being within reach was “big news”, said Christophe McGlade at the International Energy Agency, a member of the team behind the new analysis. “It’s the first time that governments have come forward with specific targets that can hold global warming to below the symbolic 2C level.”

“These results are clearly a cause for optimism,” he added. “We’ve come a long way since the Paris agreement was signed back in 2015. But now the real work has to start. The pledges have not yet been backed up by the strong and credible near-term policies needed to make them a reality.”

What this report is basically saying is that it's way too late for 1.5C (i.e. less than 10% chance of hitting the necessary emission targets), but don't worry guys, 2C is still within reach! All we need to do is work harder than we currently are!

(Five years from now, it'll be "it's way too late for 2C, but don't worry guys, 2.5C is still within reach!")

quote:

The climate policies actually in place today would mean a peak of about 2.6C, leading to “massive climate damages around the world”, said McGlade. The commitments made by countries so far up to 2030 only cut that peak to 2.4C. The IPCC has said that limiting heating to 1.5C requires reducing CO2 emissions by 45% by 2030 compared with 2010.

OK so basically, the pledges we have so far made, which we can't even hit, are actually insufficient for the 2C target. So what gives you the impression that people like you and me can have any impact whatsoever on any of this?

I'm with the other posters here who have said that the most rational course of action is to spend one's time and energy on local resilience and mitigation efforts, because such efforts are the ones that actually have a chance of making a real impact.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I read the article. Specifically, this part:

What this report is basically saying is that it's way too late for 1.5C (i.e. less than 10% chance of hitting the necessary emission targets), but don't worry guys, 2C is still within reach! All we need to do is work harder than we currently are!

(Five years from now, it'll be "it's way too late for 2C, but don't worry guys, 2.5C is still within reach!")

OK so basically, the pledges we have so far made, which we can't even hit, are actually insufficient for the 2C target. So what gives you the impression that people like you and me can have any impact whatsoever on any of this?

I'm with the other posters here who have said that the most rational course of action is to spend one's time and energy on local resilience and mitigation efforts, because such efforts are the ones that actually have a chance of making a real impact.

We can't do anything individually, but we can make differences collectively. That's how collective action works. Why do you think we've collectively made huge strides in emissions reductions and renewable proliferation over the past decade? Just for fun? No, it's because people are collectively demanding it through a variety of avenues. On the streets, at the ballot box, and with their wallets. That didn't just happen on its own.

Like, 2C is literally within reach, and your argument seems to be "I don't believe we'll succeed, so why bother?" Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was around 6, 7, 8+ years ago when we were all convinced that we were absolutely 100% locked into 4C+ warming. Now we're facing down 2C+. We're making progress, more slowly than we should and could be, but we are making progress. Getting involved has never mattered more than it does right now.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

How are u posted:

We can't do anything individually, but we can make differences collectively. That's how collective action works. Why do you think we've collectively made huge strides in emissions reductions and renewable proliferation over the past decade? Just for fun? No, it's because people are collectively demanding it through a variety of avenues. On the streets, at the ballot box, and with their wallets. That didn't just happen on its own.

Like, 2C is literally within reach, and your argument seems to be "I don't believe we'll succeed, so why bother?" Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was around 6, 7, 8+ years ago when we were all convinced that we were absolutely 100% locked into 4C+ warming. Now we're facing down 2C+. We're making progress, more slowly than we should and could be, but we are making progress. Getting involved has never mattered more than it does right now.

Well, the bad news in the USA is that we’re going to have a climate-change-denying Congress in 2023 and probably the same for a POTUS in 2025. That’s grim.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

VideoGameVet posted:

Well, the bad news in the USA is that we’re going to have a climate-change-denying Congress in 2023 and probably the same for a POTUS in 2025. That’s grim.

We may, and that would indeed be grim. I'm doing electoral work right now, and it sure ain't sunshine and roses. But, that's also not written in stone. It may happen, it may not. I'm especially wary of any prognostication for 2024. I do know, though, that we won't even have a shot of keeping those things from happening if we sit on our hands and do nothing. That's a certainty.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

you're not wrong, its just that the things that need doing are... outside the norms that got us here

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

How are u posted:

We may, and that would indeed be grim. I'm doing electoral work right now, and it sure ain't sunshine and roses. But, that's also not written in stone. It may happen, it may not. I'm especially wary of any prognostication for 2024. I do know, though, that we won't even have a shot of keeping those things from happening if we sit on our hands and do nothing. That's a certainty.

The polls look really awful right now, but that could change.

This may sound paranoid, but given much of the inflation is really profiteering, I'm of a mind that many of these companies, especially the energy companies, would love to see a Republican Congress and that's a benefit of the inflation they are driving.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

How are u posted:

No we aren’t.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's like trying to catch a moving train. It's going 30. We get up to 5 mph and you can shout all you want about the progress we are making but it's moving away from us, the speed we need to reach to catch it is increasing, and our window to do so is closing. Every second we go less than 30mph and every mph below we are in that second is more we need to make up on the other side.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
HRU has pretty openly stated they embrace radical optimism, as frustrating as it is I don't think it's a position they'll abandon.

I do think there's something to the idea of not giving up, even if all we can do is shout and practice whatever sort of boycotting, activism, collaboration, and minimalism we can manage.

If some crazy unanticipated poo poo goes down and there are opportunities to seize, it'd be better or even necessary that we'd used what tools we're afforded now to inform and create a network of like-minded people. Results can be a fantasy, but the collaboration and solidarity can't be written off even if it's not enough (yet).

If you think I'm asking to simply vote harder you're not using enough imagination.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

I would say that's exactly why it's so bad for the environment, that's what enables our current overconsumption of resources and worsens the climate crisis (Jevons Paradox), which will cause these chains to break down anyway. Because economic efficiency does not mean good for the environment. Hence any smart country will look into getting as self-sufficient as possible now because the system will break down in a decade or two barring a literal miracle.

Smaller units are less efficient but that's not the same as worse for the environment. It's just worse for the economy because things are more expensive. It might even be better out of an environemtal perspective since said factory is likely ot be held to far more stringent labour & environmental laws. So it has pros as well, and when things are more expensive they are produced less, they are more likely to be built better and people are more likely to get them repaired instead of replaced. I think we should aim for that if we want a sustainable future. Consumption needs to be much less a part of our daily lives.

It will consume more resources and energy to produce the same stuff. But yes the efficiency is what allowed the consumption. But there are two systems. Economy and climate and we need both stable to not poo poo the bed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

How are u posted:

This os the classic line that always goes out, pointlessly. Nope, no one is arguing that there should be no attempt to curb emissions. No one ITT is begging to burn even more carbon either.

That’s a dishonest response and characterization of people who are skeptical of articles saying “We can change course if a bunch of competing nations all agree to radically change course and economic fundamentals NOW.”

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

This os the classic line that always goes out, pointlessly. Nope, no one is arguing that there should be no attempt to curb emissions. No one ITT is begging to burn even more carbon either.

That’s a dishonest response and characterization of people who are skeptical of articles saying “We can change course if a bunch of competing nations all agree to radically change course and economic fundamentals NOW.”

The articles probably aren't wrong but are as useful as saying that this heroin junkie can still live a long life if they just stop injecting right now. Both accurate and not exactly the most helpful observation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

We're the Titanic.

Wrong example.

We *were* the Titanic before +1.5C was locked in and we're full tilt boogeying towards +3C.

Now we're the Hindenburg. :supaburn:

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
We gonna be alright just so you know lol you just owning yourself

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!
White House national climate advisor is leaving.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/04/14/gina-mccarthy-biden-climate-change-depart/

This is really bad. It basically signals the administration throwing in the towel on climate change.

GG y'all. We had a good run.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

White House national climate advisor is leaving.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/04/14/gina-mccarthy-biden-climate-change-depart/

This is really bad. It basically signals the administration throwing in the towel on climate change.

GG y'all. We had a good run.

Politically with the 2 or more DINO's in the Senate, they had zero chance of doing much anyway.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Centrism man has hot takes on what the US needs to do.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1514996803313319936?s=21&t=g2Ik8SeEZihyX4jE0C1NqA

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"WE CAN'T TAKE BOLD ACTION ON POPULAR THINGS, WE NEED TO TAKE BOLD ACTION ON UNPOPULAR THINGS"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

While I'm not sure how popular/unpopular this would be with the general public, it certainly would be fought tooth and nail by the environmental community. Terrible idea, glad this guy is just a Twitter rando and not actually in charge of anything.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Always do the opposite of what MattY says. Never failed yet

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Now is the time for market-based solutions!

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Hey Matty, if I wanted Trumpian policies I would have loving voted for Trump.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Biden caving to open up oil/gas leases in Federal lands to appease a political segment that will never vote for him regardless is an example of how clueless this administration is.

It's the same logic for why Garland didn't go after the 1/6 ringleaders.

Decorum.

A long time ago one of my children sent Obama a spelunking headlamp for the same reason.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

One day the bullies will like us. :allears:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

VideoGameVet posted:

Biden caving to open up oil/gas leases in Federal lands to appease a political segment that will never vote for him regardless is an example of how clueless this administration is.

Fossil fuel lobbyists did vote for Biden, though

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Potato Salad posted:

Do you have like a source or something for this? I would imagine that actual fossil fuel industry lobbyists, if they voted at all, probably voted for Trump. But, I suspect that they are currently far happier with the way the Biden admin has treated the O&G industry than they expected they would be, back in January of 2021. The O&G industry shovels buckets of money into the pockets of Republicans and Democrats alike, though the Republicans are definitely better for the industry insofar as Republicans supplicate the entire Federal government to O&G interests without hesitation or thought.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Biden gave his victory speech with Chase's logo emblazoned loving *everywhere*. He's the former Senator from the Great State of Tax Evasion and Bank Incorporation.

By being in Big Finance's pocket you're in all other dirty pockets by default.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Hedging their bets so to speak.

My point is that there in NOTHING Biden could do that would get the idiots sticking pictures of him on gas pumps, with the caption "I did that", to vote for him.

The secret of the GOP is that they don't give a rats rear end about moderates. They drive the base by being true to their right wing values.

Maybe one day the Democrats will figure out that they need to drive their base as well. But I doubt it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Tony Tone posted:

i mostly avoid talking about my kids in these threads for obvious reasons, and my social contacts skew a lot more :crackping: than most, but, this is how I look at it: no one can choose when they're born, life is generally hard and painful, I enjoyed my own childhood despite the shittineds of a lot of it, so if I can provide that experience for our kids and also do whatever I can to prepare them as well as possible to survive in whatever is coming, then that's all I can do given the situation I was born in.

I don't expect to hit my kids over the head with doom, at the same time I think that stuff like the length of the ski season and various animal populations will change obviously over their upbringing, and I've already told the older (5) kid things are changing faster and in unpredictable ways, sort of thing.

the friends I have that I discuss this poo poo with are either on the same page, or explicitly admit they don't think about this because their heads will explode.

as far as the mortgage, my personal hope is to have more actual cash than we owe on the house in 5 years when I'm 46, and if we can give our kids 11 acres of land with possibly functional farming still at that point, then that's the best I can aim for now.

expecting other random people in your age group to have good ideas about any of this is hopeless. I try to find as much joy as I can, and bear witness to the rest.

knowing that all this is happening, constantly, is sort of similar to tinnitus in terms of how it impacts me cognitively and emotionally.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah, I just consider myself lucky to live on a temperate island on the western edge of Europe which produces a lot of food, and to have a house with a small mortgage, 30m above sea level, with a good network of neighbours that help each other out.

I'll just be a quiet observer to the madness, probably remain childless, and try to help out people where I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

VideoGameVet posted:

My point is that there in NOTHING Biden could do that would get the idiots sticking pictures of him on gas pumps, with the caption "I did that", to vote for him.

It's a 'chicken and egg' situation. Which came first, that he didn't want to do anything or that he couldn't do anything?