Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Trivia posted:

Me personally, I just want them to make Natural Selection 3.

Well Natural Selection does take place in the Subnautica universe so maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Subnautica set itself apart from a lot of its contemporary open world craftathons by having a storyline with a concrete ending, but I also feel like the resource gathering, freeform exploration, base building, and overall teching up were some of the most fun parts for me. Below Zero had less of that and more story with pre-defined exploration. Having tried both, I definitely prefer the former.
I'd love a sequel that's more sandboxy (or has an optional sandbox mode) more dedicated to that kind of progression and base building, but I worry it would lose its identity and the things that held the concept together to begin with if it strayed far enough down that path. Plus, to stay fresh it would need some kind of random generation, which would help by making a much larger world to occupy. But that means either a very difficult and complex system that still couldn't match the handcrafted world of Subnautica 1, or something that mixed up the threats and resources of various handmade locales in some way, which would probably be impossible to balance around.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I liked the more open feeling of Subnautica 1 but I really did just debug in a lot of the materials required to get to the ending of the game. At that point I just wasn't willing to spend an extra ten hours driving all over the map to get a bunch of plants when i had already seen all the interesting stuff.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

These are my must-have Project Zomboid mods:

1) Dancing. True Actions. Act 3 - Dancing adds a Dance option to the actions menu, and there are 45 magazines from which you can learn all of the mod's dances. New characters start with 3 random dances. It also adds a special box of cereal item, and each box of cereal contains a dance trading card that adds 1 unique dance so long as it's in your inventory. It's basically an entire quest system based around looking for boxes of cereal to expand your dance repertoire. The dance animations are really well done

2) Music. True Music adds cassette tapes, vinyl, a vinyl player (which requires speakers nearby) and a boombox. Also, all cars can play cassette tapes. The boombox is a 1h equippable, so you can hold a boombox in one hand while you're bashing zombies with a lead pipe. Music will lure zombies, at max volume it's like shouting.

3) Good music. Time-Period Accurate Music (True Music) adds a bunch of True Music cassettes and vinyl that are time-period appropriate. Here is the tracklist.

4) Defenestration. Just Throw Them Out The Window adds the ability to throw corpses out of windows and over fences.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CuddleCryptid posted:

Natural Selection 3 except it's played underwater like Depth and set in the subnautica universe would be tight as gently caress.
Just PvP Subnautica. Tech all the way up to submarine, evolve all the way up to leviathan.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

CuddleCryptid posted:

I liked the more open feeling of Subnautica 1 but I really did just debug in a lot of the materials required to get to the ending of the game. At that point I just wasn't willing to spend an extra ten hours driving all over the map to get a bunch of plants when i had already seen all the interesting stuff.

If I recall correctly, there is a portal hub where each portal puts you out by one of the plants you need. You can gather all of the plants required at the end with a cool whirlwind montage of dropping into old biomes in about 15 minutes.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So here's something that kind of feels like it's in the My Summer Car vein which I just found this weekend:

The Slavarian Trucker, used to be called The Wasteland Trucker before the developer got a legal threat from Microsoft for using "Wasteland."

It's like some unholy mix of My Summer Car and Euro Truck Simulator in a post apocalyptic (I think) environment. You drive from shithole city to shithole city and deliver goods for money so you have enough to buy water and booze and food to stay alive. It is extremely early access and extremely janky. Like, you have to load all the goods into the back of your truck by hand and half the time if two things touch they'll launch out of the truck and across the street and of course poo poo will fly out of the back of your truck if you hit a bump. Luckily, it's not a big deal if you don't deliver the whole cargo, you get paid by the piece.

I can't say it's a good game. It's unfinished and does the typical whacked out physics stuff you expect from a one-dev indie Unity project but...it's compelling me for some reason.

Look at this load screen. Look at the "don't press load if you haven't started a new game" warning. Look at the "Windows 7 users check this box." Amazing.

Look at this tutorial screen and the incredible run on sentence telling you how to replace a part.

Look at this map. You don't have a GPS or waypoints in this world. You have this garbage map and a compass if you remembered to grab it from your starter house.

Look at this horribly textured shitpile truck.

It's even uglier on the inside.

Look at these shacks where you can pick up jobs.

LOOKIT THIS DUDE

here's a trailer from the dev's twitter:
https://twitter.com/FrankBudai/status/1464943461141041160?s=20&t=WB2ZFo6fwzOj9ryC6fqaKg

It's all so ugly but I love it for some reason. The truck handles like an absolute boat, can barely go up a hill in second gear, and takes forever to brake. My cargo flies everywhere all the time. My radiator is leaking, I think, and I pissed in it to top off the fluids. It may get better if I ever scrape up the money to buy new parts. Apparently there's also drug smuggling and you can find other cars and tow them back to your place and fix them up, and who knows what else.

Anyway, I only recommend it if you don't mind figuring out how things work from the barely readable tutorial screens and can handle jank, but it definitely has that My Summer Car feel and it is under active development (he just added rain and cooking within the last month). And it's only $11.99. I'd love to see it get more attention since this kind of thing is right up my alley but I didn't hear anything about it when it came out back in December.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Just make Astronautica. Instead of dying to no oxygen underwater you die to no oxygen in space while a giant space shark tries to eat you.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Crap, wrong thread
Nothing to see here

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

GruntyThrst posted:

Just make Astronautica. Instead of dying to no oxygen underwater you die to no oxygen in space while a giant space shark tries to eat you.
Astroneer is pretty good, but it doesn't have any biological hazards besides some plants

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

FFT posted:

Astroneer is pretty good, but it doesn't have any biological hazards besides some plants

I quite like Astroneer, yeah! I'd just love to see the Subnautica dev's take on like, an asteroid belt version of Subnautica with space sharks.

I've picked up and am enjoying Vintage Story, are there any recommended or must have mods? Mostly looking for QoL stuff, at least for the first playthrough.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

In case those posts lead anyone to Breathedge... don't. That game sucks rear end.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GruntyThrst posted:

I quite like Astroneer, yeah! I'd just love to see the Subnautica dev's take on like, an asteroid belt version of Subnautica with space sharks.
Oh dang give me a bunch of asteroids with different biomes and some of them you can go inside and also I'm not Mario.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Parallelwoody posted:

In case those posts lead anyone to Breathedge... don't. That game sucks rear end.

I heard about it when it came out and I haven't heard about it since which is not necessarily a good thing in this oversaturated genre.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah, I picked it up early on and I was deeply disappointed. Never even got through the first part of the game, and I'm told it stops even being a survival game afterwards.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Breathedge is a great game if you really like early '00s spork humor or if replacing batteries in subnautica was your favorite part of the game.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
It's poo poo.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it was a game with potential. The map/space design stuff was pretty cool, and they put a bunch of dev work into building a subnautica-like habitat for you to live in, except that you just build it to get past a checkpoint and then immediately abandon it. The rest of the gameplay was entirely fetch-quests, and the "humor" caused me to DNF about halfway through.

An example of the game's humor: I don't remember the name exactly but you do this quest to fetch a bunch of disparate parts to build an subcomponent that they call something like "The dumb useless time-wasting widget". Takes about 30 minutes to gather it and then the game dramatically consumes the item and then narrates at you "Isn't that funny you wasted all that time to build this thing that you put in a slot and it's never seen again? That's fun gameplay, right?"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Splicer posted:

Oh dang give me a bunch of asteroids with different biomes and some of them you can go inside and also I'm not Mario.

it didn't really hold me for whatever reason but you're barely Mario at all in Oxygen Not Included

GruntyThrst posted:

I've picked up and am enjoying Vintage Story, are there any recommended or must have mods? Mostly looking for QoL stuff, at least for the first playthrough.

Nothing strictly necessary. Probably the biggest QoL change you can mod in is to clean up the loving handbook

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Some kind of big dumb alien arcology reclaimed by life would be great for a subnaughtica sequal. Something like the Outer Wilds DLC, but on the scale of Rama.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bug Squash posted:

Some kind of big dumb alien arcology reclaimed by life would be great for a subnaughtica sequal. Something like the Outer Wilds DLC, but on the scale of Rama.
A full-sized O'Neill cylinder would be such a fun procgenned environment. You have so many excuses for the crazy abrupt biome transitions you have in other games.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Breathedge will be a lot better if there’s a mod that rip out its whole script and dialogue, then replace with something more relaxing.

I don’t get all these rapid fire jokes that need to be jam out so fast that it can fits three sentense in less than 4 seconds. You can slow it way down to ease out the boredom in space too.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

Prospecting pick mod, which allows you to save your prospecting pick density searches in the minimap.

Realistically though, that’s almost it. I like Golden Combs because I’m a bee nerd, and I like some of the mods that add new things to caves.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

GruntyThrst posted:

Sorting by most downloaded gives you plenty of good ones. Must-haves would depend on what you're most interested in:
- if you're most interested in building and/or chiseling pretty stuff, get Bricklayers, Building+ and QP's Chisel Tools.
- if you're interested in early-game survival stuff, get Primitive Survival, Lichen, and Ancient Tools.
- if you're interested in farming and cooking, get Expanded Foods and Wildcraft.

Some QoL mods I'd suggest would be Extra Chests, Better Crates, Carrying Capacity and More Piles. It's been a little while since I last played, though, so I'm not sure how many of these are up to date with the latest versions.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bhodi posted:

An example of the game's humor: I don't remember the name exactly but you do this quest to fetch a bunch of disparate parts to build an subcomponent that they call something like "The dumb useless time-wasting widget". Takes about 30 minutes to gather it and then the game dramatically consumes the item and then narrates at you "Isn't that funny you wasted all that time to build this thing that you put in a slot and it's never seen again? That's fun gameplay, right?"

That's a pretty solid subnautica burn, actually.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

dogstile posted:

That's a pretty solid subnautica burn, actually.

Yeah, but lampshading it and still making the player do it just makes the player feel like a idiot for continuing on with the game.

They could do the same "dumb useless time wasting gadget" bit but then give you some shortcut/trick/NPC to bypass it. Then they'd have made the same joke while also making their game look superior and having the player be in on the joke instead of put out by it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh i'm not denying that. It's one of those jokes that's way funnier to hear about than play through.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Been playing Project Zomboid and really like the clothing system. Are there any other games in this genre with a lot of clothing customization like that?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
NEO Scavenger, maybe?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Giving Project Zomboid another shake again. Is there a better way to aim when attacking things, like a target lock-on maybe? The isometric camera and the right-click to aim thing means I’m attacking air or behind the zombie a lot of the times which makes combat frustrating.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Turning on the target outline help immensely when you’re using melee weapons (the outline turns green when the target is within range). Also, you can right click or use ctrl to prepare for your attack.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

duffmensch posted:

Turning on the target outline help immensely when you’re using melee weapons (the outline turns green when the target is within range). Also, you can right click or use ctrl to prepare for your attack.

And if you use control, there's (might be?) a setting where you can make it a, "tap once, leave until tapped again" toggle.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The target outline is incredibly helpful and you'd have to be a fool to deliberately leave it disabled.

Tarezax posted:

Been playing Project Zomboid and really like the clothing system. Are there any other games in this genre with a lot of clothing customization like that?
It's ridiculous, and part of the reason I can't put the game down right now. Just bowl up to an arranged meeting point and wait for my buddies while looking like I've escaped from the circus armed with an M16.

:buddy:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's the worst video game I've played since Starforge, without any doubt in my mind. I hope that its full release is better fated than Starforge's was, but with the state that this released in, I have serious doubts about that.
I bought that game years ago, and then Steam wouldn't give me a refund despite the devs just taking the money and running. First and only game (so far) that I've actually used the "remove this game from my library permanently" function.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, but lampshading it and still making the player do it just makes the player feel like a idiot for continuing on with the game.

They could do the same "dumb useless time wasting gadget" bit but then give you some shortcut/trick/NPC to bypass it. Then they'd have made the same joke while also making their game look superior and having the player be in on the joke instead of put out by it.
Picturing a game where it lists a ridiculous bunch of requirements and then when you go to build one instead of it eating all the resources your AI advisor goes "Why would it tell you to build that? It's a basic part of your suit" and then a locker pops open and spills out a full set of completed upgrades.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The target outline is incredibly helpful and you'd have to be a fool to deliberately leave it disabled.

It's ridiculous, and part of the reason I can't put the game down right now. Just bowl up to an arranged meeting point and wait for my buddies while looking like I've escaped from the circus armed with an M16.

:buddy:

I see you found the costume shop in Louisville as well.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I'm having some issues running Space Engineers after updating to windows 10 from windows 8.1. I'm sorry if this has already been posted in the thread, or if it's not the right place, but I've tried searching and it doesn't look like anyone's posted about it yet.

I'm now getting an error saying that the game requires a Direct X 11 card, and the game doesn't start up. I'm on windows 10 now, so I have DX12, and my card is a 2060, which should be more than enough. I also have 64gb of RAM and a recent Ryzen CPU, so my specs should be no problem for Space Engineers.

I've done a bit of googling and found a decent number of people with the same issue, and a number of different solutions have been posted, including:

• Updating GPU drivers
  • Doing a fresh install of drivers
  • Editing the SpaceEngineers.cfg file in appdata to change a line to say Direct X 11 instead of 9 (it already said 11, though), or changing the video adapter the game tries to use
  • Deleting the above .cfg file entirely (after backing it up, just in case)
  • Deleting some shader files in the appdata folder
  • Verifying the game cache as well as doing a complete reinstall
  • Forcing the game to use my GPU instead of integrated graphics, both through windows and the nvidia control panel

I've tried all of these, but none of them have worked. One method that did have some limited success was changing the game branch to "dx9-32bit", which let me boot up the game... but running a memory heavy game like Space Engineers as a 32bit application in DX9 is less than ideal, and it won't let me play multiplayer with my friends.

Here's a pastebin with the log file. I've tried googling bits of the error messages near the bottom of it with "space engineers", but nothing particularly helpful has come up. Most of the results are complete junk, or have similar answers to the stuff I posted above.

I don't suppose anyone has had a similar problem, or knows a solution I hasven't tried yet? I've also opened a support ticket with the devs, but I don't expect that to go anywhere any time soon.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Install the latest version of the MSVC++ redistributable. Uninstalling Office is the main culprit but I could see an OS upgrade taking it out as well.

E: When the MSVC redistributable asks you to restart, do so. Most random app installs add that as boilerplate but it actually matters here.

E2: Forgot about .NET. Install MSVC, reboot, install latest .NET 4.x, reboot again.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 18, 2022

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
which version of windows 10 do you have installed? I've seen similar issues for things like metro exodus since older versions of windows 10 do not have the support for certain driver functions (like dxr)

fresh install might not have upgraded to the latest win10 release

edit: yeah your log says version 10.0.19044.0 which is from 2019 and might be the issue

Voxx fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E2: Forgot about .NET. Install MSVC, reboot, install latest .NET 4.x, reboot again.

I did this, and no change. I'm still getting the error.

Voxx posted:

which version of windows 10 do you have installed? I've seen similar issues for things like metro exodus since older versions of windows 10 do not have the support for certain driver functions (like dxr)

fresh install might not have upgraded to the latest win10 release

edit: yeah your log says version 10.0.19044.0 which is from 2019 and might be the issue

It's not a fresh install - a couple months ago, I upgraded an old 8.1 install from probably about 8 years ago to 10. I downloaded the installer online from the MS website, and I've since kept up to date with Windows updates (checking right now it's saying there are none available), so I'm not sure why I apparently have a Windows version from 2019.