Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong. Apple is some of the worst support out there. You haven't paid attention in like 10 years eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

redeyes posted:

Wrong. Apple is some of the worst support out there. You haven't paid attention in like 10 years eh?

That hasn't been my experience.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My elderly parents live out of state, both have PCs, one I assembled, another I purchased. I have remote support software on both machines, and my parents are on my Office 365 account. Neither of them are tinkering types so they use their machines as I set up for them. I tried to get them to make occasional backups but that didn't work out so I'm considering other options.

I've had few problems supporting them over the years and no regrets about using this approach.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nvrgrls posted:

Is there a shsc thread about "how to best set up / configure my grandma's computer"? If not I'm gonna complain about Windows here, or start my own because the conventional wisdom really is "Give grandma an iPad" but she has various needs..... ugh

Give grandma a chromebox?

jk

Uh, if you live nearby enough to do in-person tech support then IMO putting people on a limited basic User account is a great way to protect them. It eliminates a poo poo-ton of the social engineering type malware & scams. Giant banner says "virus detected!!! click here to install virus scanner!"? gently caress you, grandma can't install anything. Phone call from someone who says "I am Microsoft technician, please follow these steps for remote assistance so I can fix your computer"? gently caress you, grandma can't use remote connections.

OTOH it also increases your support load, and is kinda a non-starter if you're not within easy visiting distance. I'm multiple states away from my mom and remote assistance has been a godsend a number of times. (Luckily she only needs support when things have really gone wrong. And she's proficient enough that I don't need to worry much about falling for scams.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Lord Bude posted:

That hasn't been my experience.

I've been trying to troubleshoot a Bluetooth connection with my work Macbook (turns out someone hosed up an AirWatch script, so unrelated), and the first callback I had got disconnected after about 5 minutes. I waited a day or two then manually started another support ticket because they never tried calling back. The agent also apparently wasn't given anything from the original call, not even the ticket number.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

and my parents are on my Office 365 account. ... I tried to get them to make occasional backups but that didn't work out so I'm considering other options.

Set default paths of documents and pictures folders to onedrive.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Apple's non-in store support is really bad, and their in store support isn't much better. That's not to say that MS had that on lock (it's effectively zero), but the idea that Apple support is selling point is kind of hilarious.

Honestly, i'd seriously consider a chromebook. I've had relatively good luck with those for the those with questionable computer literacy

Ymmv, depending on goals and constraints.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm a huge proponent of giving old folk a Mac. I think they're easier to learn, more resilient vs them loving something up, and Apple provides all sorts of free classes and poo poo at apple stores (or buy them applecare to get best in class phone support).
I tried this and got shot down because "She doesn't like it" and she's been using Windows for like 20 years. MS also used to provide classes in their stores but those closed.

Dick Trauma posted:

My elderly parents live out of state, both have PCs, one I assembled, another I purchased. I have remote support software on both machines, and my parents are on my Office 365 account. Neither of them are tinkering types so they use their machines as I set up for them. I tried to get them to make occasional backups but that didn't work out so I'm considering other options.

I've had few problems supporting them over the years and no regrets about using this approach.

This is where I am currently. I did self-own though because when we went to microcenter she said she wanted an all-in-one and I was like "no grandma of mine is getting an all-in-one" so I got her a little tower and then when we got back to her place I realized:
1. it doesn't come with webcam.
2. it doesn't come with speakers.
3. there are now two power buttons for her to use (monitor and the actual box) and that's already causing frustration.

I wanted to get her a laptop but she doesn't like laptops because once she got talked into buying a chromebook and then she forgot her google password, so she thinks all laptops are bad.

Klyith posted:

Uh, if you live nearby enough to do in-person tech support then IMO putting people on a limited basic User account is a great way to protect them. It eliminates a poo poo-ton of the social engineering type malware & scams. Giant banner says "virus detected!!! click here to install virus scanner!"? gently caress you, grandma can't install anything. Phone call from someone who says "I am Microsoft technician, please follow these steps for remote assistance so I can fix your computer"? gently caress you, grandma can't use remote connections.
Yeah this is what I have to do... I'm not excited about it but it's the safest solution. Letting her rawdog the internet is irresponsible.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Apple's non-in store support is really bad, and their in store support isn't much better. That's not to say that MS had that on lock (it's effectively zero), but the idea that Apple support is selling point is kind of hilarious.

Honestly, i'd seriously consider a chromebook. I've had relatively good luck with those for the those with questionable computer literacy

Ymmv, depending on goals and constraints.

Chromebook is what I wanted but see my above post for two very good reasons why that isn't flying for her.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Consider using S Mode, assuming she doesn't have a need for anything outside the Store. Otherwise, a basic user account with remote support enabled as mentioned above is probably your best bet.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

nvrgrls posted:

Letting her rawdog the internet is irresponsible.

Just wanted to :justpost: that this is an oddly poetic, yet relatable and beautiful turn of phrase.
:golfclap:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks, I used it yesterday somewhere else too.

Oh another thing I did which I think was very forward-thinking of me was set up her ms account with an email that's an alias for my email.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

MikusR posted:

Set default paths of documents and pictures folders to onedrive.

Downloads too if possible

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m an old who uses folders on my desktop for organization of current projects and then a folder in the corner for older/finished deals and projects. I have OneDrive sync my desktop, it’s a really great service. I also like that I can have my work OneDrive/SharePoint and my personal OneDrive side by side!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

nvrgrls posted:

I tried this and got shot down because "She doesn't like it" and she's been using Windows for like 20 years. MS also used to provide classes in their stores but those closed.

This is where I am currently. I did self-own though because when we went to microcenter she said she wanted an all-in-one and I was like "no grandma of mine is getting an all-in-one" so I got her a little tower and then when we got back to her place I realized:
1. it doesn't come with webcam.
2. it doesn't come with speakers.
3. there are now two power buttons for her to use (monitor and the actual box) and that's already causing frustration.

I wanted to get her a laptop but she doesn't like laptops because once she got talked into buying a chromebook and then she forgot her google password, so she thinks all laptops are bad.

Yeah this is what I have to do... I'm not excited about it but it's the safest solution. Letting her rawdog the internet is irresponsible.

I wouldn't recommend a laptop to anyone unless they need to carry it around. Laptops have such horrendous ergonomics, they are only good for toilet browsing.

All-in-ones are similar in concept to laptops but better in every way. Bigger monitor, keyboard can be bigger and isn't tied up right next to it. Less cramped internals, easier to handle cooling and maintenance. No battery to fail.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Saukkis posted:

I wouldn't recommend a laptop to anyone unless they need to carry it around. Laptops have such horrendous ergonomics, they are only good for toilet browsing.

You can just go to Home Depot, you know.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

DerekSmartymans posted:

You can just go to Home Depot, you know.

You misunderstood, :nexus:ing on the forums just doesn't feel correct without the porcelain throne.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Saukkis posted:

You misunderstood, :nexus:ing on the forums just doesn't feel correct without the porcelain throne.

:hmmyes: Checks out!

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Laptops mean you don't have to sit at a desk in your own home like some loser, and you can sit on your couch or some outside area.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

Laptops mean you don't have to sit at a desk in your own home like some loser, and you can sit on your couch or some outside area.

out-side?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am trying to do tech support for my dad over the phone. I was hoping to get some help.

He has windows 10 and uses Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020 to digitise his old negatives. He then emails these images with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 which is linked to photoshop. This has worked fine for many months.

Recently he has been getting a Microsoft Office Outlook 2016 setup wizard that launches and is (I'm guessing) trying to get him to upgrade. When he tries to email a photo from photoshop it says that there are two versions of of outlook and doesn't allow him to send.

He talked me through different options in photoshop and it seems to be setup correctly (selecting outlook 2003 with the correct details).

I tried getting him to search for Outlook 2016 it via add/remove programmes but it doesn't show up. Neither did the wizard. I can generally manage ok when poking around on a computer myself. Over the phone with my dad using one hand and not understand me adds a big layer of difficulty.

What would you suggest?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jippa posted:

I can generally manage ok when poking around on a computer myself. Over the phone with my dad using one hand and not understand me adds a big layer of difficulty.

What would you suggest?

Windows remote assistance. Windows remote assistance has 2 paths: if you both use MS accounts you can basically do it automatically through that, or the manual path where your dad can email a file to you. You just double click the file and you will connect to your dad's PC (on the other end he'll get a UAC prompt asking if the connection is ok).

Alternately, chrome remote desktop if you both use chrome and are in the google ecosystem.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

Windows remote assistance. Windows remote assistance has 2 paths: if you both use MS accounts you can basically do it automatically through that, or the manual path where your dad can email a file to you. You just double click the file and you will connect to your dad's PC (on the other end he'll get a UAC prompt asking if the connection is ok).

Alternately, chrome remote desktop if you both use chrome and are in the google ecosystem.

Actually you should rather use Quick Assist, it's a much more straightforward setup than the older Remote Assistance system.
As the assistant, you get a numeric code you just read through the phone, and then you get connected.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jippa posted:

I am trying to do tech support for my dad over the phone. I was hoping to get some help.

He has windows 10 and uses Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020 to digitise his old negatives. He then emails these images with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 which is linked to photoshop. This has worked fine for many months.

Recently he has been getting a Microsoft Office Outlook 2016 setup wizard that launches and is (I'm guessing) trying to get him to upgrade. When he tries to email a photo from photoshop it says that there are two versions of of outlook and doesn't allow him to send.

He talked me through different options in photoshop and it seems to be setup correctly (selecting outlook 2003 with the correct details).

I tried getting him to search for Outlook 2016 it via add/remove programmes but it doesn't show up. Neither did the wizard. I can generally manage ok when poking around on a computer myself. Over the phone with my dad using one hand and not understand me adds a big layer of difficulty.

What would you suggest?

Maybe check to see which Outlook version Windows believes is the default mail client. If it got changed to Outlook 2016 then any time an app calls for email that setup program will launch.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks guys.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Jippa posted:

Thanks guys.

Seconding Quick Assist; Remote Assistance can be quite buggy but QA is solid.

Instead of searching for Outlook 2016, try Office 2016. How come your dad was using a 20 year old version of Outlook anyway?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

You can have a radio clock which stays accurate with the help of radio time signals.

Ohhh I'd been wondering how my alarm clock kept on time except it's fifteen minutes off for some reason. That makes sense.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

First: Reiterating that this is my favorite thread title

Second, actual reason I'm here:

In task scheduler if i hit the little disable button, does that mean it wont continue doing the thing (in this case, USER LOGS ON, PROGRAM STARTS AS SERVICE) but i could just turn it back on to keep it going again at a later point without setting it back up? I just wanna troubleshoot something for a few reboots / usage etc

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Worf posted:

In task scheduler if i hit the little disable button, does that mean it wont continue doing the thing (in this case, USER LOGS ON, PROGRAM STARTS AS SERVICE) but i could just turn it back on to keep it going again at a later point without setting it back up? I just wanna troubleshoot something for a few reboots / usage etc

Yep. Works exactly how you think, and it's just that easy as long as you made the task (rather than the OS tasks that are all protected by TrustedInstaller).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Klyith posted:

Yep. Works exactly how you think, and it's just that easy as long as you made the task (rather than the OS tasks that are all protected by TrustedInstaller).

thanks for this!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I left my computer on for a game to finishing downloading through Ubisoft's launcher (Ubisoft Connect). But when I came back a few hours later, the pc was asleep, and the download was only 80% complete. Shouldn't the launcher have prevented the pc from sleeping? I don't remember this ever being an issue with Steam. Is it Windows' fault or Ubisoft's?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If you go to Power Options > Edit Plan Settings (just press windows key and type "power plan) you'll see if your computer is set to go to sleep after a certain time.

And, yes, I have noticed it will ignore running programs sometimes to do it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

I left my computer on for a game to finishing downloading through Ubisoft's launcher (Ubisoft Connect). But when I came back a few hours later, the pc was asleep, and the download was only 80% complete. Shouldn't the launcher have prevented the pc from sleeping? I don't remember this ever being an issue with Steam. Is it Windows' fault or Ubisoft's?

I don't have the Ubisoft launcher, but next time you're doing a game update with it, open an administrator command prompt and type powercfg /requests to see the answer.

Firing up Steam and patching a couple games on my "still installed, haven't touched in ages" list, it looks to me like Steam does not set a power request when it is just downloading, but does when it has any disk activity. So the result will depend a lot on the type or method of patch the game does. Most of the games on my list started writing the patch while the download was still going, but one was a 100% download first then patch operation. So that one theoretically could have had a power save interrupt it.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And, yes, I have noticed it will ignore running programs sometimes to do it.

It depends 100% on the program setting a request to the OS to block whichever power save feature.

Usually the problem is the opposite: people want their PC to sleep and some program has set a flag not to (often a background youtube tab in a browser).

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
A friend of mine recently passed away unexpectedly, and his wife asked me to help see if I could recover some data from the family computers. I haven't done this since the XP days, so I'd appreciate some advice on what my options are. Some notes:

There's a mac and a windows PC, I have no idea of the versions or security but I'm assuming it's relatively recent so probably Win10 or Win8 at the latest.

My plan was just to load up Hiren's Boot PE drive and see what I could get to in a non-destructive way; and barring that just find a good data recovery place in the area for them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Falcon2001 posted:

A friend of mine recently passed away unexpectedly, and his wife asked me to help see if I could recover some data from the family computers. I haven't done this since the XP days, so I'd appreciate some advice on what my options are. Some notes:

There's a mac and a windows PC, I have no idea of the versions or security but I'm assuming it's relatively recent so probably Win10 or Win8 at the latest.

My plan was just to load up Hiren's Boot PE drive and see what I could get to in a non-destructive way; and barring that just find a good data recovery place in the area for them.

Sorry about your friend. :(

Unless he has something very unusual going on, I don't think you need to worry too much about being non-destructive. Like, you aren't doing forensics, and normal windows or macos doesn't do lock-out like a phone does if you enter the wrong password. Neither windows nor macs have file encryption turned on by default.

Hiren boot is good for windows, but useless for the mac. A linux stick will do the mac though (and the PC).

OTOH if your fiend *does* have encryption turned on, or if many important things are in for example icloud, then it gets much harder since you will need a password. (iCloud has a process you can do for this situation, so if your friend had an iphone that's a good target. That would allow your friend's wife to recover stuff on his phone afaik.)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Sorry about your friend. :(

Unless he has something very unusual going on, I don't think you need to worry too much about being non-destructive. Like, you aren't doing forensics, and normal windows or macos doesn't do lock-out like a phone does if you enter the wrong password. Neither windows nor macs have file encryption turned on by default.

Hiren boot is good for windows, but useless for the mac. A linux stick will do the mac though (and the PC).

OTOH if your fiend *does* have encryption turned on, or if many important things are in for example icloud, then it gets much harder since you will need a password. (iCloud has a process you can do for this situation, so if your friend had an iphone that's a good target. That would allow your friend's wife to recover stuff on his phone afaik.)

Thanks. I'll load up Hiren's for windows and then see if I can find a decent Linux recovery environment for the mac. If they have encryption I'll give them the information for the iCloud account info.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Intel Macs with the T2 chip and all ARM Macs encrypt the internal SSD by default even if FileVault is not enabled. As long as you have a valid login to the device you can unlock it of course, but you can't access it in Target Disk Mode or boot from external media without an administrator login.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
BTW, thanks. Turns out that having a medicat drive was a good thing, was able to get access to resetting one of the passwords on a laptop. Mac ain't around, so that's a future worry to deal with when it turns up, probably with him out of state.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have to upgrade a computer running windows 7 to windows 10 and I’m very scared I’ll ruin things. It won’t do an in-place upgrade so now I have to use a bootable thumb drive to upgrade it, hopefully ensuring no loss of data or software.

Then I have to do the same thing for a machine running Windows 8.1.

The worst part is that both of them use a spinning hard drive so everything is slow and lovely. Ugh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

jokes posted:

I have to upgrade a computer running windows 7 to windows 10 and I’m very scared I’ll ruin things. It won’t do an in-place upgrade so now I have to use a bootable thumb drive to upgrade it, hopefully ensuring no loss of data or software.

Then I have to do the same thing for a machine running Windows 8.1.

The worst part is that both of them use a spinning hard drive so everything is slow and lovely. Ugh!

What are you backing up the data to? If you're intending to run an upgrade from the bootable media, I'd suggest not doing that.

If it's currently running Windows 7 it's likely a years-old install. A clean install, where Windows 10 creates its own partitions etc., will be a much faster business in itself, and the OS will run faster and more reliably than an in-place upgrade.

What particular programs is the person running? Anything need backed up except documents and pictures etc?