Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Not even a little. I don't think any of this works the way you want.

Myth Unbound and Henzie keeps Kresh at 5 cmc no matter how many times he dies, meanwhile everything else's cmc goes down by 1 each time and can blitz, Kresh gets huge and explodes every turn?

E: Yeah, nah, WotC deffo wants me to make this deck.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Are you planning on running a critical mass of tutors in order to get the enchantments out? How does the deck function without those enchantments? How do you plan to recast your commander over and over again, without getting punished by faster decks just murdering you? Or removing the enchantments?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Johnny Truant posted:

So now that preorders for New Capenna stuff are available, I was hoping for a bit of info on the different types of boosters, specifically draft vs. set. I'm already planning on buying a collector booster box, probably one commander deck, and then a box of either the draft/set boosters.

I've read this link to get a sense for them, but I dunno, I guess.. I still don't see a large difference between the two? Is The List cards in the set boosters the biggest draw for them? There are more rare possibilities from the set boosters but at the tradeoff of the basic lands, right? Do the triome lands count as 'basic lands' or would those be rare cards?

Someone please help me budget this, my family is starvingin Halo withdrawal!

Set boosters have a guaranteed foil, are the only packs that can contain List cards (at something like 1/4 having a list card?) and I believe guarantee alternate art frames etc. So yeah you have a slim chance at multiple rare from various slots (foil, alt-art, etc). I’m also guessing Set boosters will be the only way to get the alt-art basic lands, since that’s how it was in Kamigawa Neon Dynasty.

Draft boosters don’t have List cards, and don’t guarantee a foil, but you ultimately get more cards (mostly commons, but maybe that matters to you), AND in general you at least have a shot at alt-art treatments etc, it just won’t be as prevalent as in Sets.

If you just want a bunch of cards (or, you know, you’re drafting) get Draft. If you want a bunch of PRETTY cards, get Set.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Myth Unbound and Henzie keeps Kresh at 5 cmc no matter how many times he dies, meanwhile everything else's cmc goes down by 1 each time and can blitz, Kresh gets huge and explodes every turn?

E: Yeah, nah, WotC deffo wants me to make this deck.

That game plan depends on you finding Henzie and Myth Unbound and having them stay in play the entire game.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TotalHell posted:

Set boosters have a guaranteed foil, are the only packs that can contain List cards (at something like 1/4 having a list card?) and I believe guarantee alternate art frames etc. So yeah you have a slim chance at multiple rare from various slots (foil, alt-art, etc). I’m also guessing Set boosters will be the only way to get the alt-art basic lands, since that’s how it was in Kamigawa Neon Dynasty.

Draft boosters don’t have List cards, and don’t guarantee a foil, but you ultimately get more cards (mostly commons, but maybe that matters to you), AND in general you at least have a shot at alt-art treatments etc, it just won’t be as prevalent as in Sets.

If you just want a bunch of cards (or, you know, you’re drafting) get Draft. If you want a bunch of PRETTY cards, get Set.

Most excellent, thanks for that info. That makes a bit more sense to me, now. And I both want a bunch of cards, AND a bunch of pretty cards. Sooooo that probably means goodbye to my budget for the rest of the year! :homebrew:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

berenzen posted:

Are you planning on running a critical mass of tutors in order to get the enchantments out? How does the deck function without those enchantments? How do you plan to recast your commander over and over again, without getting punished by faster decks just murdering you? Or removing the enchantments?

Batterypowered7 posted:

That game plan depends on you finding Henzie and Myth Unbound and having them stay in play the entire game.

Blitz gives hella card draw?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

How are you blitzing without Henzie? How are you making sure that Henzie stays alive, are you planning to make sure you have henzie every game down on like turn 2- to maximize value out of him? You have 11-12 rounds max in the most casual of pods. And like 7-8 in higher power battlecruiser pods.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Not to mention dedicating five mana every turn just to casting Kresh in addition to any other creatures you want to cast.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“If my opponents let me have 5-6 turns to tutor and set up and then another turn to untap with all my broken poo poo, I will kill all my own creatures for value” is not what I would consider viable

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Alright, alright. When I'm coming up with deck ideas I'm like the gnomes from Oglaf.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Boooo, the professor was just short of breaking $4,000,000! So close!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

After about 2-3ish years of not doing anything with my White/Artifact Equipment Deck. I'm figuring now is the time to update it a bit while keeping it mono white as a fun challenge, for me.

https://archidekt.com/decks/840718#Forged_in_Stone_improving

The deck in question, stuff I'm probably going to add in is in the Maybeboard, I'm mainly looking to lower the curve on it a little, keep some of the jank fun in it, but also try and give it somewhat of a better win condition outside of "pile all my equipment onto whatever token/creature is available and hope for the best". I'm also looking at that New Capenna sword that Elspeth gets to have my Nahiri do stuff outside of being a token generator, graveyard equipment bringer backer, and sometimes pulling out that ridiculous sword of hers.

I think infect could be a fun angle to pursue, as well as giving my stuff much needed evasion with Trailblazer boots, Robe of Stars, Prowler's Helm, and maybe a small lifegain strat to just try and keep me in the game till I could dig up an answer.

Are there white enchantments, or artifacts, other than Cloud Key, that reduce the casting cost of artifacts? I'm really poo poo with using Scryfall syntax.

Question: Would equipping a Blade of Selves to something that has Grafted Exoskeleton and say something like Trailblazer Boots that can do 10+ infect, would that infect damage only hit the first player or would it hit all opponents due to Blade of Selves?

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 15, 2022

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It creates a new token, but the token won't inherit any of the modified properties of the original creature. If you blade of selves a 1/1 squirrel token that's buffed up to 30/30 infect, first strike, deathtouch, and trample the blade of selves will create a 1/1 squirrel token with no keywords.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jiro posted:

Are there white enchantments, or artifacts, other than Cloud Key, that reduce the casting cost of artifacts? I'm really poo poo with using Scryfall syntax.

Here are all the cost reducers in white: https://scryfall.com/search?q=id%3Aw+f%3Aedh+o%3A%22cost+%22+o%3A%22less+to+cast%22

There's about 40, which seems like a reasonable number to scroll through.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

berenzen posted:

It creates a new token, but the token won't inherit any of the modified properties of the original creature. If you blade of selves a 1/1 squirrel token that's buffed up to 30/30 infect, first strike, deathtouch, and trample the blade of selves will create a 1/1 squirrel token with no keywords.

Awesome I appreciate the clarification, man Myriad sounds like a fun thing to play around with on paper. :/

Toshimo posted:

Here are all the cost reducers in white: https://scryfall.com/search?q=id%3Aw+f%3Aedh+o%3A%22cost+%22+o%3A%22less+to+cast%22

There's about 40, which seems like a reasonable number to scroll through.

Holy poo poo thank you for this, I really need to get better with Scryfall.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

After about 2-3ish years of not doing anything with my White/Artifact Equipment Deck. I'm figuring now is the time to update it a bit while keeping it mono white as a fun challenge, for me.

https://archidekt.com/decks/840718#Forged_in_Stone_improving

The deck in question, stuff I'm probably going to add in is in the Maybeboard, I'm mainly looking to lower the curve on it a little, keep some of the jank fun in it, but also try and give it somewhat of a better win condition outside of "pile all my equipment onto whatever token/creature is available and hope for the best". I'm also looking at that New Capenna sword that Elspeth gets to have my Nahiri do stuff outside of being a token generator, graveyard equipment bringer backer, and sometimes pulling out that ridiculous sword of hers.

I think infect could be a fun angle to pursue, as well as giving my stuff much needed evasion with Trailblazer boots, Robe of Stars, Prowler's Helm, and maybe a small lifegain strat to just try and keep me in the game till I could dig up an answer.

Question: Would equipping a Blade of Selves to something that has Grafted Exoskeleton and say something like Trailblazer Boots that can do 10+ infect, would that infect damage only hit the first player or would it hit all opponents due to Blade of Selves?

There's a 3/2 Artifact Creature for {3} that lowers the cost of artifacts by 1. You'll want Sram in the deck for card draw, maybe even running it as the commander instead. Maul of the Skyclaves might be a good equipment to include. There's a new white equipment in Kamigawa Neon Dynasty that's a creature (Lion Sash, something like that). It can eat cards from graveyards for one white mana, kind of like Scavenging Ooze, which might be good for stopping graveyard shenanigans. Sram also cares about auras, so that gives you more choices to play with.

Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist, and Armory Automaton might be good includes as well.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

There's a 3/2 Artifact Creature for {3} that lowers the cost of artifacts by 1. You'll want Sram in the deck for card draw, maybe even running it as the commander instead. Maul of the Skyclaves might be a good equipment to include. There's a new white equipment in Kamigawa Neon Dynasty that's a creature (Lion Sash, something like that). It can eat cards from graveyards for one white mana, kind of like Scavenging Ooze, which might be good for stopping graveyard shenanigans. Sram also cares about auras, so that gives you more choices to play with.

Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist, and Armory Automaton might be good includes as well.

Foundry Inspector, and Sram were like two cards I should have had in there a long time ago, Open the Armory Lion's Sash I have a few laying around, Mantle of the Ancients I have from the Bant Precon I'm probably going to use for parts. I appreciate it!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
A bunch of Baldur's gate cards leaked, looks like there's "initiative" which sounds a lot like "the edge" and more dungeons.

https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-set/commander-legends-battle-for-baldurs-gate/

Or maybe they're fake who knows.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

pseudanonymous posted:

A bunch of Baldur's gate cards leaked, looks like there's "initiative" which sounds a lot like "the edge" and more dungeons.

https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-set/commander-legends-battle-for-baldurs-gate/

Or maybe they're fake who knows.

No Golden Pantaloons? Clearly fake.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pre-ordered New Capenna stuff yesterday :homebrew:

Then I bought a kamigawa set booster on a whim
and snagged a Boseiju, Who Endures and some $12 zombie wizard card, hopefully that good luck will continue when I open the Capenna stuff! :getin:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/mookdubsmtg/status/1515353430398799874?s=21&t=Kz44NXDIaovKYNPQEjhXNw

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

anyone else had this issue buying ebay authenticated cards? the sleeves have arrived full of dust and like eyelashes and hair. i've bought other cards from this seller that he sent directly to me that are perfectly clean and this is all inside the actual sleeve after i wiped everything down.

kinda sucks because it makes me think there's gonna inevitably be condition discrepancies caused by ebay or whoever is doing the service. and i still need a couple more duals to complete my revised set.

nobody make fun of my gross thumbnail i trimmed it after i saw these pictures and it looks fine in person i swear

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

How could you trim more nail when there's barely any nail there to begin with????? :stonk:

Nail chat: Am I the only person that trims their toes and finger nails in the shower while it gets more pliable and it leaves me not having to use a vacuum cleaner after?

Also would Helm of Awakening be a decent political tool in a Voltron equipment deck? Or would it be too big of a risk to use if it brought out everyone else's mana rocks faster?

Jiro fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 17, 2022

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

now im just wondering about the state of your thumbnail....

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Jiro posted:

How could you trim more nail when there's barely any nail there to begin with????? :stonk:

Nail chat: Am I the only person that trims their toes and finger nails in the shower while it gets more pliable and it leaves me not having to use a vacuum cleaner after?

Also would Helm of Awakening be a decent political tool in a Voltron equipment deck? Or would it be too big of a risk to use if it brought out everyone else's mana rocks faster?

Voltron is just a bad strategy so helm of awakening is definitely going to do more for someone else's deck unless your meta is full of archetypes worse than voltron.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I don't really know how it'd be a political tool, either. You can't pick and choose who gets the effect. Assault Suit is probably the closest thing to a political card that voltron decks can run, short of "I'm going to one shot someone and it will be you unless xyz".

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

Voltron is just a bad strategy so helm of awakening is definitely going to do more for someone else's deck unless your meta is full of archetypes worse than voltron.

I guess I was viewing it as hey if I make all our poo poo cheaper remember who did that for you sort of thing which was already a pretty dodgy claim to begin with.

Plus I was also looking at it for myself in lowering mana curve for my deck that hovers around 3.18.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Just play Rafiq and one-shot people.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Helm was a jhoira pengine combopiece when that was a deck, but that's the only deck that I can think of that runs it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Helm belongs in decks that combo out the turn they drop it. Letter ng your opponents untap with a helm in play is loving embarrassing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lol, this deck from the Gemstone Mind Podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ-Q6Lt5L_I

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Vxol4HkrhkK_-kHddhYKwQ

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/streets-of-new-capenna-commander-decklists-and-previews

New Capenna Precon decklists are starting to come out.

Notable reprint in the Bant precon looks to be Devoted Druid, and Flooded Grove. The Maestros precon had the Izzet equivalent and Lightning Greaves. Swiftfoot Boots on the Bant precon though, weird.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 18, 2022

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

why is the deck funny I'm not watching a 45 minute video

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Jiro posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/streets-of-new-capenna-commander-decklists-and-previews

New Capenna Precon decklists are starting to come out.

Notable reprint in the Bant precon looks to be Devoted Druid, and Flooded Grove. The Maestros precon had the Izzet equivalent and Lightning Greaves. Swiftfoot Boots on the Bant precon though, weird.

The legendary Phoenix seems cool.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/mCPn7j15oUY

Command Zone breakdown of Maestros precon

Stats of the deck at 15:32

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 18, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/product/724655/artist-series-sidharth-chaturvedi-foil-edition

https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/product/724656/artist-series-sidharth-chaturvedi

Hadn't realized this Secret Lair had Concordant Crossroads. The Chronicles version costs like $50, so picking up a copy of this Secret Lair seems like a no-brainer if you wanted a foil version.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

All precons' decklists are available for viewing, some really good reprints in the Obscura set, but interestingly enough some of the sets are without the guild signets that the others have, and two sets having either greaves or swiftfoot boots while the other three have none is also strange. I guess I'm used to seeing that sort of parity across the sets themselves, but the Cabretti only having Eight artifacts seems like a huge glaring omission. Riviteers have seven, and just from casual glances looks to be the weakest of the five.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 19, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What is commander content that you’d like to see exist? Been thinking a lot about Josh Lee Kwai’s advice and takes on current commander content and I’m really interested in making more cEDH content and pivoting away from deck techs. I agree with Josh that they are fun to make, like a little diary entry about a deck you like, but that content has a shelf life and a built in limitation on audience engagement. I’d be much happier making content about how to play, how to brew, how to explore and attack different metas, etc. there are now like 50+ commander content creators pumping out Deck Tech/Gameplay/ Dexk Tech/Gameplay/Deck Tech and I want to foster more widespread discussion instead of just making the same content as everyone else.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's hard. A deck tech is just talking about your list, which is fairly easy to do because you've already put the effort into making it. Gameplay, aside from the back end of setting up capture and editing, is just playing the game which is the end goal for most people anyway.

Anything else involves stepping back and trying to analyze underlying aspects of the game. You can talk about general Magic topics like card advantage and resource management, or commander specific things like priority bullying.

One of my favorite episodes I helped do on Gemstone Mine was a history of the treasure mechanic. Tracing it back to its roots, seeing how it has been explored, and touching on ways to use it. It was fun to research and talk about, and it wound up being one of the lowest watched episodes :haw:

Basically, I feel ya. I want something new but I don't think I have the knowledge or expertise of the game to provide it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Something exploring the artists more would be cool, or how the people at WotC come up with new cards, like the behind the scenes

Dunno if those exist already?