Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Remember you can use the room the tanks are in for storage with a high pressure vent and two gas pumps (for a full pipe).

I really wish the game simulated dangers like, say, a high pressure oxygen tank experiencing a touch of fire and blowing a massive chunk out of the asteroid. Feels really like the only thing missing and would throw a big ol' wrench in a bunch of designs.

No this isn't just because mining with explosives would be fun. Why do you ask.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

I can't imagine this game if you had to keep hydrogen and oxygen separated to keep them from violently turn into water. Could be fun the first time though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dareon posted:

I hope my math is wrong, because it looks like I'm going to need 18 tanks per vent.

Generators use 90 g/s (Math error in my previous post, I thought they only used 80, might not be able to fully sustain a third generator), and there's 600 seconds in a cycle, making a daily use of 54 kilograms. Both of my vents have a dormant period of about 50 cycles, making my needed backstock 2700 kg, which (divided by 150) is 18 gas tanks per generator.

Well, it's not as if space is at a premium. Worst-case scenario I use modded tanks that have half the footprint but still hold 150 kg, and utilize the storage chamber as well.
First thing is, are you sure the geyser produces enough gas to run your generators through both your active and dormant periods? As in, there’s no need for storage of 2700kg if the most you’ll ever have is 2000.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

First thing is, are you sure the geyser produces enough gas to run your generators through both your active and dormant periods? As in, there’s no need for storage of 2700kg if the most you’ll ever have is 2000.

Yeah, I used the Oni Assistant calculator, they produce about 110 g/s (111/114) averaged over the entire activity cycle.

Meanwhile, I ran into a different issue. I'm finally starting into rocketry, and decided to start small, with a carbon dioxide rocket. I have a carbon dioxide vent underneath my base, I can just run ducts up... Why aren't my tanks filling. Why are my ducts broken- Oh. The space dirt and ice biome I ran the ducts through is freezing the CO2 down to condensation point.

Honestly, between that and my second SPOM being built literally next to an AETN in an ice biome (It's condensing CO2 next to the AETN, while melting polluted ice next to the gas tanks, I needed to put in an auto-miner to free the electrolyzers when they ice over), I'm running into an unexpected amount of cold. It's honestly refreshing to not have to worry quite so much about cooking my base, but I still feel like my dupes are maybe not as happy as they could be about the temperature of air blowing in their faces.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dareon posted:

I hope my math is wrong, because it looks like I'm going to need 18 tanks per vent.
Well, it's not as if space is at a premium. Worst-case scenario I use modded tanks that have half the footprint but still hold 150 kg, and utilize the storage chamber as well.

Sounds about right, that's why I use infinite gas storage, it's available in vanilla and takes 5x4 tiles for 500g/s throughput and infinite storage.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Are there any performance tricks I could try? As a test I killed all my critters and disallowed all actions for dupes and it helped a little, but it's still not good.

My base has 28 dupes. I figured that was too many, but even with everything disallowed it still runs bad.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sweeping is what’s usually recommended. Preferably into one big pile.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Fire is a big missing element in the game, would be a really interesting DLC. Especially for the consumption of oxygen part

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dunno-Lars posted:

I can't imagine this game if you had to keep hydrogen and oxygen separated to keep them from violently turn into water. Could be fun the first time though.

I have always found it endlessly amusing that in a game where Oxygen is explicitly a big deal, combustion can be done in a vacuum.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Imagine a patch that requires an oxygen atmosphere for most of the power generators. It would be pure chaos.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Electrical machines submerged in conductive liquids shorting out and electrocuting whoever is unlucky enough to be there at the time if it's high enough voltage. So many fun ways to make problems to deal with.

Hydrogen atmospheres suddenly becomes really fun

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 16, 2022

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sweeping is what’s usually recommended. Preferably into one big pile.

Sweeping is underway as I type this. While I was setting everything up I found this:

Could that be part of the problem?

:edit: Fixed link

Travic fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 16, 2022

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Doubt it, but emptying that might be super interesting.

In the end, the game just runs slower late game and the only fix is to throw more performance at it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Got my gas tanks set up, was interesting for a little bit.

The High Pump mod I use pulls the air out of a 255-tile radius. There's notes on the mod page that you shouldn't really use it in big spaces or there's a huge performance hit. When isolating the gas storage so the room itself could function as additional storage, I also put the generator, batteries, and transformer in the room, and used a high pump to evacuate it. Turns out, power transformers, like nature, abhor a vacuum, and it almost immediately tried to melt. Reacting quickly, I installed a new airlock door between the generator setup and the gas storage, then removed the outer airlock... while the high pump was still running. My game chugged relentlessly as the air of the entire map (at least the discovered/connected bits, except for my main base and a chlorine vent I'd walled off) got sucked into the ducts. And then the process repeated as the slime, pwater, and pdirt offgassed into the new vacuum and the pump grabbed that new p-ox as well. I quickly dismantled the high pump, and even now 20 cycles later there are still places with gas pressure in the microgram range while several tons of chlorine and CO2 fight for dominance below my gas storage.

Since I was already using a pressure sensor to trigger the pump taking natural gas off the vent, I expanded it to help control when the system uses the gas being stored in the storage room's air. Hooked up a NOT gate and three filter gates so if the sensor doesn't detect an appropriate gas pressure after a cycle (Indicating the vent has gone dormant), it triggers a pump to evacuate the storage room and dump the gas into the ducts for use. Since the pump only needs to run for a second, I also set up an AND gate and a gas element sensor so the pump stops running when there's no longer any natural gas in the room.

The logic basically goes: "Is there natural gas in the room AND the vent sensor has NOT detected appropriate pressure for 600 seconds? If yes, activate pump. Oops, pump has removed all natural gas from the room, deactivate pump."

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Travic posted:

Sweeping is underway as I type this. While I was setting everything up I found this:

Could that be part of the problem?
Nah, Harold's cool.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

That’s…not a small amount of O2. 3,150 tiles worth at 2kg/t pressure

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I honestly just wish they would take a big pass through the game and clean it up. Get rid of all the pointless stuff, like ore scrubbers, a lot of the medical stuff, etc.

The game has a lot of pointless systems that don't really matter, things like CO2 geysers that from what I can tell are pretty much just pointless and useless, and a lot of red herring items that serve little purpose other than to just confuse new players. I'd like it if they'd actually make the stuff useful or get rid of it and streamline things.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

LonsomeSon posted:

That’s…not a small amount of O2. 3,150 tiles worth at 2kg/t pressure

Yeah I'm not sure why that was happening. I mean obviously it's the atmo suit dock, but why is it pulling gas out of suits and dropping it on the ground?

As a project to get myself interested in my base again I built a geothermal plant. It's awesome. It's more than the one aquatuner can handle though. Is there an easy way to see how many turbines an aquatuner can cool?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Nah, Harold's cool.

Good. I'll include that in his quarterly review.

Travic fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 16, 2022

insta
Jan 28, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

I honestly just wish they would take a big pass through the game and clean it up. Get rid of all the pointless stuff, like ore scrubbers, a lot of the medical stuff, etc.

The game has a lot of pointless systems that don't really matter, things like CO2 geysers that from what I can tell are pretty much just pointless and useless, and a lot of red herring items that serve little purpose other than to just confuse new players. I'd like it if they'd actually make the stuff useful or get rid of it and streamline things.

Hey I use the ore scrubber :(

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SlyFrog posted:

Chlorine. Just get rid of it.

I have found one use for a co2 geyser — pump it into an oil biome and let slicksters devour it.

Travic posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why that was happening. I mean obviously it's the atmo suit dock, but why is it pulling gas out of suits and dropping it on the ground?
Does that happen when a suit breaks? The bottled oxygen I mean.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Travic posted:

When suits get worn down, they drop all the oxygen they have left. If you don't have a gas canister emptier, after a few hundred cycles it adds up.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

I'd actually like them to expand medical stuff with pills that give buffs and such, like say an Instant Athlete pill with bonuses to Athletics and Strength and Mintats with bonuses of Science and Operating. Make it worthwhile to have a doctor around, and make some of the less useful materials ingredients in the recipes.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I'd actually like them to expand medical stuff with pills that give buffs and such, like say an Instant Athlete pill with bonuses to Athletics and Strength and Mintats with bonuses of Science and Operating. Make it worthwhile to have a doctor around, and make some of the less useful materials ingredients in the recipes.

We're saying the same thing. I don't really want them to get rid of it - I want them to make it meaningful. But if they can't do that, get rid of it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

insta posted:

Hey I use the ore scrubber :(

For what? Do you actually clean germs off of slime-biome stuff?!?!

SlyFrog posted:

We're saying the same thing. I don't really want them to get rid of it - I want them to make it meaningful. But if they can't do that, get rid of it.

Yeah I got this drift: it’s a lot less of an ask to eliminate the vestigial stuff than it is to make it all meaningful and fit in with the rest of the game.

e: id also really like the doctor role to become much more pharmacist/chemist/drug dealer and have a bunch of stat-buff pills which need various materials to make. Breakfast could be work meds ~

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 16, 2022

insta
Jan 28, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

For what? Do you actually clean germs off of slime-biome stuff?!?!

I put one on the other side of my pitcher pump. It kills germs in bottled water and food.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

insta posted:

I put one on the other side of my pitcher pump. It kills germs in bottled water and food.

I grab a delicious chunk of grilled fish and then conscientiously run it through the chlorine bath to clean it off before taking it to my seat and chowing down!

The life of an ONI dupe just got, somehow, even more grim

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

In my current game I have a cold CO2 geyser near a cool steam vent and both are near the surface. I pump the cold C02 through the room the steam vent is in to cool the steam and then into space taking some of the heat from the steam with it.

I've got another CO2 geyser at the bottom of the map that's just a waste of space as I have no idea what to do with it.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Travic posted:

Are there any performance tricks I could try? As a test I killed all my critters and disallowed all actions for dupes and it helped a little, but it's still not good.

My base has 28 dupes. I figured that was too many, but even with everything disallowed it still runs bad.

Posting a bit late since it wasn't mentioned here but solids have less of a performance impact than gasses. If you've cored out your asteroids (why haven't you yet?) you can try to replace all the gas with vaccum and/or tiles. Also mixed gases are worse than a single type. So be sure to pump pump & filter all that junk at the bottom of your map!

Also for some reason path finding is terrible in the game. Try to limit dupes access to places via doors, only have a single ladder shaft up/down the map, etc. Also never use jet suits, they're horrible for performance.

If all else fails there's a WIP mod (Fast Track) that gives a substantial boost to frame rate but may break your game.

Edit: Forgot to mention Fast Save which definitely helps the save pause during late game. I've only done moderate/safe settings for it so ymmv.

AotC fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 18, 2022

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A CO2 geyser or vent is a missed opportunity for literally anything else, same with a chlorine source.

Even a hot polluted oxygen vent can be worked with though it’s a pain in the rear end.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'd take a chlorine vent, if only to incentivize me to learn how to ranch pufts.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LonsomeSon posted:

A CO2 geyser or vent is a missed opportunity for literally anything else,
Looks like someone doesn’t build 300 soda fountains.

They are pretty bad, though. All I can think of is slicksters, oxyferns but you never have very many, and if you have a ton of excess water and labor, I guess you could set up a great big bank of algae terrariums. Use carbon skimmers to turn water into polluted water?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

AotC posted:

Posting a bit late since it wasn't mentioned here but solids have less of a performance impact than gasses. If you've cored out your asteroids (why haven't you yet?) you can try to replace all the gas with vaccum and/or tiles. Also mixed gases are worse than a single type. So be sure to pump pump & filter all that junk at the bottom of your map!

Also for some reason path finding is terrible in the game. Try to limit dupes access to places via doors, only have a single ladder shaft up/down the map, etc. Also never use jet suits, they're horrible for performance.

If all else fails there's a WIP mod (Fast Track) that gives a substantial boost to frame rate but may break your game.

Edit: Forgot to mention Fast Save which definitely helps the save pause during late game. I've only done moderate/safe settings for it so ymmv.

Cool thanks. It mainly seems to chug when looking at my base. If I look somewhere away from the main base FPS jumps back up nicely. And my base is actually pretty small considering some of the megabases I've seen.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
A chlorine source is useful in so much chlorine is a finite substance and you can go things with it like ranch or clean polluted slime. The hand sanitizer is also more productive than a sink per dupe pass last I looked (which was a very long time ago.) CO2 on the other hand is extremely easy to get.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I set up chlorine rooms to clean gases and liquids all the time. Usually trapped gases and bleach stone are plenty though.

Kind of pleased with this solution. I tried making a classic freezer tile, but found they don't work anymore.

Thought about just saying gently caress it and tearing it all out, but instead I tried a built-in chest freezer style. Works great so far, the CO2 stays put and stays cold, and the dupes just grab what they want in seconds. Sweepy gets leftovers put away before they can spoil (much)

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Panty Saluter posted:

Thought about just saying gently caress it and tearing it all out, but instead I tried a built-in chest freezer style. Works great so far, the CO2 stays put and stays cold, and the dupes just grab what they want in seconds. Sweepy gets leftovers put away before they can spoil (much)

I have a chlorinated deep freeze storage under the kitchen floor, and the same sweeper that pulls ingredients from it into the grill also puts food for the day into the fridges limited to 2 kilos, standing in a CO2 pit. And since it's right next to great hall it's easy for dupes to grab food there.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Is recruiting a super-pilot at all worth it? I guess it's a little convenient for your first mission or two, but it doesn't take long before I'm micromanaging construction projects on a few different asteroids so there's always something to do, even if there are 4 rockets in transit.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

I deconstructed the Crashed Satellite before realizing it would be extremely useful. :(

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
he;lp

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Can You Feel The Glow?!?! You Are Becoming!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Walk in Atom's Light, brother.