Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bob and Linda of Bob's Burgers are also a loving couple with a loving family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zero One posted:

Bob and Linda of Bob's Burgers are also a loving couple with a loving family.

The thanksgiving specials are still worth watching even if the show kinda ran out of steam. Tree House of Horror used to be worth a watch for a long time into bad Simpsons too, but even that is pretty bad now.

Do watch the early Bob's Burgers (and early The Simpsons if you somehow haven't but I can't see anyone reading this and not having watched it). They hold up. Only so much A tier work you can do with a setting and characters that have to reset every 30 minutes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

pixaal posted:

Roger being just as confused how he's multiple people is always a fun gag.

I can't find a clip of it, but I still love the bit where he tries to convince someone to eat at his restaurant, by being everybody and having to stop himself when tries to be an unhappy customer.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Close Enough has a decent Simpons gag where they want to watch Tree House of Horror but it’s been preempted until November for baseball.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't find a clip of it, but I still love the bit where he tries to convince someone to eat at his restaurant, by being everybody and having to stop himself when tries to be an unhappy customer.

Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nydNC0N1IFo&t=227s

One of my favorite parts of the "7 Fires" episode is when Roger has time to explain to Francine about how she is meeting a character of his to prepare her for the reveal. Even mentions how its nice to finally see someone off instead of just appearing as whoever he is being.

The Nebuchadnezzar wine gag in that episode is unbeatable but Roger warning Francine is a nice touch.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

limp_cheese posted:

Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nydNC0N1IFo&t=227s

One of my favorite parts of the "7 Fires" episode is when Roger has time to explain to Francine about how she is meeting a character of his to prepare her for the reveal. Even mentions how its nice to finally see someone off instead of just appearing as whoever he is being.

The Nebuchadnezzar wine gag in that episode is unbeatable but Roger warning Francine is a nice touch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RUg_xOgzv8
*out of breath* "That's enough turning around."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fumaofthelake posted:

Close Enough has a decent Simpons gag where they want to watch Tree House of Horror but it’s been preempted until November for baseball.

That joke is too real, but also football

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

MJeff posted:

I thought Steve and Debbie was a good pairing. Debbie was a funny character that could be funny without being bodyshame-y.

Or, well, the bodyshaming was portrayed as unambiguously bad and the characters were always punished for it at least. Which might be as good as you can get from an 00s-10s sitcom? :v:

The weird thing about Debbie is that the last episode she's in (The Bar Mitzah Hustle) has her break up with Steve in the final version of the episode, but in an alternate ending on the DVD she reconciles with him. I guess the writer's were on the fence as to whether to bring her back again and decided against it.

Later Steve has like two episodes where he and Toshi's sister are into each other that goes nowhere, and I'm pretty sure Steve actually loses his virginity in a later episode (though that doesn't matter much seeing as American Dad is actively disdainful towards canon).

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Part of me wishes that just for a season they did a full season without Roger to see how they’d handle writing without him to get them in or out of any situation
Season opener, Roger takes offense at the family's lack of faith in his acting ability. Vows to prove them wrong and "disappear into my roles". Never see him again until end of the season. But entire season is spent with the family interacting with crazy characters that have to be Roger, but they can't see past the disguise.

Season finale reveal is it turns out Roger went on a massive bender with Klaus, forgot about his vow. Family also realizes for the first time Klaus has been absent the entire time.

Zero One posted:

*out of breath* "That's enough turning around."

My favorite ongoing gag is whenever the family is all 'poo poo it's Roger isn't it'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIL3Wkh0a1E&t=216s

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't watch American Dad, is the fish still in it? Does he like... do anything

edit: Oh the post above me literally mentions the fish. I just couldn't imagine how much material you could even get out of that character

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I don't watch American Dad, is the fish still in it? Does he like... do anything

edit: Oh the post above me literally mentions the fish. I just couldn't imagine how much material you could even get out of that character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVQI_LKVvw0

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Macaluso posted:

Klaus's Boyz!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Klaus is underused but always feels like he has potential. They should just pair him with Roger and give him the body swapping machine and some bodies. Too bad he's kind of a creepy jerk every time he's been put into a human body. (I get that they do this to have a good excuse to put him back in a fish)

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I think my favorite thing about Klaus is that Roger still has to hide that he's an alien but no one anywhere gives a gently caress about a talking goldfish.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

Yes, in fact Klaus focused episodes are often some of the best of the season.

The writers finally figured out what to do with him by turning him into a Florida dirt bag who's a total loser within the family yet super social and surpringly popular outside of it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hexmage-SA posted:

The weird thing about Debbie is that the last episode she's in (The Bar Mitzah Hustle) has her break up with Steve in the final version of the episode, but in an alternate ending on the DVD she reconciles with him. I guess the writer's were on the fence as to whether to bring her back again and decided against it.

Later Steve has like two episodes where he and Toshi's sister are into each other that goes nowhere, and I'm pretty sure Steve actually loses his virginity in a later episode (though that doesn't matter much seeing as American Dad is actively disdainful towards canon).

Like I said they just need to settle on a girl(or even a guy as long as it's not Snot) for Steve to be with and be done with it, they've beaten the "Steve tries to get a girlfriend and/or laid" plot so hard that the poor dead horse is basically atomized at this point, and it's not like it was a plotline that was ever particularly funny in the first place, indeed due to Status Quo those kind of plots just end up feeling like a waste of time and an insult to the viewer's intelligence

pixaal posted:

Klaus is underused but always feels like he has potential. They should just pair him with Roger and give him the body swapping machine and some bodies. Too bad he's kind of a creepy jerk every time he's been put into a human body. (I get that they do this to have a good excuse to put him back in a fish)

They really should have gone with their original plan and have the first time he got in a human body end with him now being in a parrot body, having a more independently mobile body early on would have given the writers more of an incentive to figure out making Klaus more interesting earlier on

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Like I said they just need to settle on a girl(or even a guy as long as it's not Snot) for Steve to be with and be done with it, they've beaten the "Steve tries to get a girlfriend and/or laid" plot so hard that the poor dead horse is basically atomized at this point, and it's not like it was a plotline that was ever particularly funny in the first place, indeed due to Status Quo those kind of plots just end up feeling like a waste of time and an insult to the viewer's intelligence

Have Steve come out as asexual and just sideline this love life. Him seeking love was just him seeking approval from Stan.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

pixaal posted:

Have Steve come out as asexual and just sideline this love life. Him seeking love was just him seeking approval from Stan.

That would be dumb

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Steve is not a sensual boy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F03Mm51r_SA

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Macaluso posted:

More material than you could get out of a koala!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So its like adultswim is making new ATHF shorts on youtube....what the hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGiUeUuRsf0

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Close Enough remains ok enough that I don’t actively seek out watching it but fun enough that I actively enjoy watching it and often binge an episode or three when I do get around to it.

Also Central Park is still fun and I’m interested to see how they move forward from this season if it gets renewed. There was talk of couples that don’t hate each other earlier, this is a prime example of it. Kids don’t resent their folks either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

They're also doing animated shorts of the Vindicators from Rick and Morty an animated short version of Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell and also one from Robot Chicken.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ups_rail posted:

There's an ATHF TV special that's supposed to air this summer. Guessing this is to ramp up hype for that.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

The episode of Close Enough about not going to the doctor is extremely real and may make you cry if you’ve ever lost someone to being a dumbass

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Helluva Boss people are all on Twitter and they post a TON, including their own fan art and headcannon

https://twitter.com/danidraws666/status/1519871844748341249?s=21&t=yfDJQqnatb-7YS8JoGkAzQ

so if you’re into that show I’d really recommend going and following all the animators and voice actors, since they are all really cool dedicated to their project

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Helluva Boss is such a strong show on so many levels, I'm a bit worried for Hazbin Hotel not being able to live up to the same standards despite that one being way more the baby of the creator than Helluva Boss. I think the pilot had too many songs for a single episode (Helluva Boss frequently does just one) and I didn't particularly care about any of the cast outside of Alastor and he's mostly becasue he has a fun design. But I'm hoping with the show properly in production for real that things like that will get ironed out.

The characters in Helluva Boss are just so good. Every single new character that gets introduced feels memorable. I think Stolas is an extremely good character and I'm completely invested in his relationship with Blitzo. And Blitzo himself MIGHT be the best character on the show, I think helped enormously by his voice actor just nailing that role so hard. But then ever main character and side character has good voice acting. Like not even just the main crew but the side character as well. Christina Vee is amazing as Verosika, Alex Brightman as Fizzarolli (I mean he's literally just doing Beatlejuice but that voice is great so), or even them getting Norman Reedus as Striker and it not feeling like stunt casting?? I just can't get over how consistently good the voice acting is

Also I can't believe House of Asmodeus doesn't get properly covered more, it's such a fun song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybSey-aOGa4

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Genie from the Aladdin Broadway show singing a song about loving is one of many reasons Helluva Boss is a positive addition to the universe. Having said that I feel like it kinda lost its initial charming concept to go heavier on its character stuff. It's fortunate that those characters are still all likable and good and compelling. :v:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Helluva Boss is such a strong show on so many levels, I'm a bit worried for Hazbin Hotel not being able to live up to the same standards despite that one being way more the baby of the creator than Helluva Boss. I think the pilot had too many songs for a single episode (Helluva Boss frequently does just one) and I didn't particularly care about any of the cast outside of Alastor and he's mostly becasue he has a fun design. But I'm hoping with the show properly in production for real that things like that will get ironed out.

The characters in Helluva Boss are just so good. Every single new character that gets introduced feels memorable. I think Stolas is an extremely good character and I'm completely invested in his relationship with Blitzo. And Blitzo himself MIGHT be the best character on the show, I think helped enormously by his voice actor just nailing that role so hard. But then ever main character and side character has good voice acting. Like not even just the main crew but the side character as well. Christina Vee is amazing as Verosika, Alex Brightman as Fizzarolli (I mean he's literally just doing Beatlejuice but that voice is great so), or even them getting Norman Reedus as Striker and it not feeling like stunt casting?? I just can't get over how consistently good the voice acting is

Also I can't believe House of Asmodeus doesn't get properly covered more, it's such a fun song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybSey-aOGa4

Honestly, Helluva Boss' pilot had big issues too. To me it honestly felt like it had Family Guy's style of random non sequitur unfunny jokes.

It really got a lot better after that though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Helluva Boss is weird because artistically I am 100% aligned with these styles and sensibilities and shapes, but I feel like I’ve basically outgrown this style of humor almost completely. I don’t like to use the word cringe, but the pilot just made me feel like “drat I would have been obsessed with this in high school and would probably have half a dozen tattoos of this” but that was like 15 years ago and I just prefer my dialogue to be more selective with its snark. Every single character doesn’t have to be the exact same sarcastic rear end in a top hat. Is that something that changes? Didn’t really get a distinct sense of character from each monster.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Helluva Boss is weird because artistically I am 100% aligned with these styles and sensibilities and shapes, but I feel like I’ve basically outgrown this style of humor almost completely. I don’t like to use the word cringe, but the pilot just made me feel like “drat I would have been obsessed with this in high school and would probably have half a dozen tattoos of this” but that was like 15 years ago and I just prefer my dialogue to be more selective with its snark. Every single character doesn’t have to be the exact same sarcastic rear end in a top hat. Is that something that changes? Didn’t really get a distinct sense of character from each monster.

Yeah the pilot feels quite a bit different. The biggest thing is they change Moxxie to being a much softer character instead of this annoyed rear end in a top hat that he is for the entire pilot. He still gets annoyed sometimes at Blitzo for being just a bit much but he's a way different character after the pilot. Stolas is also a little different and gets an entirely new voice actor.

After the pilot it feels like they figured out what to do with Moxxie and Millie, and the little group of three (four if you want to count Loona) is presented much more of a tighter familiy unit than the pilot portrays. Plus later episodes in the season delve more into the relationships, Stolas and Blitzo obviously get a lot of time, there's an episode focused more on Moxxie and Millie and her family's approval of him, there's an entire episode that's basically about Moxxie and Blitzo's relationship. That sense of humor is still pretty similar but the relationships between the characters is a lot stronger after the pilot. The pilot is really hard to watch specifically because of how wrong Moxxie's character is compared to the rest of the show.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 29, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I know Helluva Boss is supposed to be pronounced like "Hell of a Boss" but my broken brain keeps reading the uva part as "oova" instead of "of a"

And yes this is an incredibly stupid and pointless post

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Speaking of Helluva Boss, they did a livestream watch party last night with a bunch of the actors watching episodes 1-4. For some of them this was their first time seeing the show. Highlights include:
-some really great behind-the-scenes stuff, especially in regards to recording during COVID
-this being the first time a lot of them have met in person and it shows because they are so giddy :3:
-"I LOVE YOU MILLIE" "I LOVE YOU MOX MOX" :kimchi:
-"SEASON 2!!!????"
- This being the first time James Monroe Ingleheart has apparebtly seen the Ms Mayberry bit in episode 1 and watching is face go from :stare: to :magical:
-Richard Horvitz making it known that he had no idea what pegging was until working on this show (pegging comes up a lot)
-"STELLA"
- the animation director being so deep in to the world lore that they are almost more knowledgeable than Vivienne in some aspects (usually minor things like whether or not the sun comes out in the Greed Ring)
-Zim laugh. Because of course
-Bryce Pinkham doing the filthiest monologue off-the-cuff in Ep 1 to be bleeped out ( Richard and Vivienne: :magical: :magical:)
-The show is about relationships
-Episodes will be getting longer at some point
-They have absolutely looked up Rule 34. Most of it is Loona.

https://youtu.be/5XUEc0kfKGs

If you have a couple hours it's pretty funny! Big downside is the sound keeps cutting out on the stream so it's a bit choppy at times and poor Vivan Nixon keeps losing signal :( That said, everyone seems so stoked to be there together and it's real sweet. It's awesome to see how passionate they all are about working on this show

Also, if you scroll down a bit in the comments someone created a list if timestamps to some good bits. SparklesofPurple is the username

Edit: Bonus

https://twitter.com/norrynator/status/1520574790695718912?s=20&t=jJNNK8csH-8Dsjpd92W0ng

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 2, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Edit: Quote is not edit :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bring back Ms. Mayberry in season 2.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I really hope Stella gets some kind of happy ending. Let her ex-husband be gay with his new imp boyfriend and all, but at least one scene showing that the newly divorced giant owl queen is doing just fine and living her best life would be something I'd really appreciate.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve only been following the Helluva Boss animators on Twitter for about a week but they’re bar none the most active animators I’ve ever seen about social media, and far & away the horniest. These people love these characters and seem honestly maybe a little obsessed with them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve only been following the Helluva Boss animators on Twitter for about a week but they’re bar none the most active animators I’ve ever seen about social media, and far & away the horniest. These people love these characters and seem honestly maybe a little obsessed with them.
That's kinda why I still can't find myself getting into the show (or Hazbin Hotel or whatever). I think I've tried twice now and I just kinda stop halfway through the video.
It... feels like somebody's fetish? Like this is some very specific niche in-group and I'm bouncing off each time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

JazzFlight posted:

That's kinda why I still can't find myself getting into the show (or Hazbin Hotel or whatever). I think I've tried twice now and I just kinda stop halfway through the video.
It... feels like somebody's fetish? Like this is some very specific niche in-group and I'm bouncing off each time.

Yeah, there is an extremely strong underpinning of “we’re maybe drawing and writing this show with one hand” that I sort of picked up on initially but after following them on social media it’s really impossible to deny that’s what’s going on.

I mean seriously I have never seen any animator from any Western studio post like this, you’d straight up just get fired for this kind of behavior if you worked for Adult Swim or Netflix, which leads me to conclude that’s probably a more pervasive attitude that is shared widely by the rest of the production crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, there is an extremely strong underpinning of “we’re maybe drawing and writing this show with one hand” that I sort of picked up on initially but after following them on social media it’s really impossible to deny that’s what’s going on.

I mean seriously I have never seen any animator from any Western studio post like this, you’d straight up just get fired for this kind of behavior if you worked for Adult Swim or Netflix, which leads me to conclude that’s probably a more pervasive attitude that is shared widely by the rest of the production crew.

I promise you animators have always been this horny. Also every artist