Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Also sometimes people assume it's the 'good stuff' and it's not. These days nobody gives a gently caress about china and place settings and the like. You can get nice sets of things for pennies because who wants to hand wash that crap all the time? You can't put it in the dishwasher.

I can't remember the specific piece but my mother looked into offloading some of her family heirloom dishware and nobody will take it. At some point in time everyone got the exact same fancy bowl and held onto it because "it'll be valuable some day" and now all the kids are trying to figure out what to do with the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pure silver is a pain in the rear end as cutlery because it tarnishes and tastes nasty if it's not cleaned constantly, and silver polish also tastes bad so you have to clean off the drat cleaner.
Stainless steel is a lot nicer, and less likely to taste bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, sure. And it's a coincidence you never post on the night of a full moon.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Invisible Clergy posted:

This is what castle doctrine is for.

Why did you type "huge gaping ashole" twice?

Emphasis. When I think "gaping rear end in a top hat" I think of goatse and simpler times. When I think "huge gaping rear end in a top hat" I think of the type of person who would put on a ski mask to scare a woman who just survived a home invasion

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

IIRC if you're using your silverware constantly it's fine to put it in the dishwasher. Silver tarnishes when it's being left to sit, and if it's constantly being used and washed tarnish isn't nearly as much of a problem.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

We inherited fine china and silver serving plates n stuff and I just use them to serve pigs in a blanket to my drunk friends when we're all swimming and getting drunker

Help! The Woman I’ve Been Hooking Up With Is a Lot Smarter Than I Thought.

quote:

Dear Prudence,

I am a straight man in my 30s who has been friends with benefits with “Alice” for over a year. It’s been a good, safe pandemic arrangement; Alice is fun, cute, and it’s been nice to find someone I really enjoy hanging out with and enjoy sex with and is on the same page about not being in a relationship. Uncomplicated, is what it has been, I guess, until recently.

Alice has mentioned before that she writes, and recently shared that she’d sold a story for a little bit of money, and received an honorable mention in a contest. I got a weird feeling I couldn’t place. Alice directed me to some of her work, and I read it, and ended up searching and finding a lot of more of it. She’s really, really talented, much more than I had ever stopped to consider, and I don’t know why it bothers me to find story after story that she’s written. I scribble a bit, mostly stray thoughts and RPG game worldbuilding and character stuff, but I had never thought of publishing. It shouldn’t bother me that Alice has, or that her stuff is frankly so much better than I could ever dream of producing. But it has. I am jealous and intimidated and don’t know what to do. The cute lady I eat pizza with and watch movies with and fool around with is now … someone who has done something I never could and is, let’s face it, likely smarter than I am. I mean, I had never thought she was dumb by any stretch of the imagination before, and have always thought her to be intelligent and really witty and capable of having a good argument or discussion over lots of topics, but this seems different, like the proof is solid and obvious that I don’t compare. Is there any going back from this?

— Jealous FWB

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

coronatae posted:

We inherited fine china and silver serving plates n stuff and I just use them to serve pigs in a blanket to my drunk friends when we're all swimming and getting drunker

Why can't you be happy for your "friend", OP? :rolleyes:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah aside from everyone pointing out he's massively insecure and neck-deep in toxic masculinity, what is that idiot expecting?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

From the whiskey fiasco, there’s a subtle current in the conclusion which implies the thief could have afforded the expensive whiskey replacement, but chose tantrum over reparation. Almost seems like he had the cash no problem. $200 isn’t nothing, but something in that “$920, hope you’re happy.” message tells me this. Could be wrong.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Solenna posted:

I usually don't like calling fake on stuff, but I am compelled to say that throwing an end table through a stained glass door and making a hole big enough to fit through would be incredibly difficult. Large pieces of stained glass are made using H shaped pieces of lead came that glass is fit into and then the lead is soldered together at all the joints. So you don't have to break glass to get out you have to break a soldered together lead spiderweb.

I yell at basically every movie that does a dramatic leap through a stained glass window.

Agreed, I cannot find an example of stained glass sliding doors that are for outside doors, and almost none that are inside.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

So is that avatar from Tommyknockers?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

T Bowl posted:

So is that avatar from Tommyknockers?

An old sci-fi movie called Enemy Mine.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

coronatae posted:

The nicest reading of this is that the author, perhaps without realizing it, is in love with Alice and wants them to be a real couple. But now that he sees her as smarter and more sophisticated and apparently out of his league, it's making it all the more painfully obvious that their relationship is (probably) just a fling.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
When I was growing up everyone in my family had a set of "fine china" and if I know anything about those people they didn't pay over 20 dollars for a set of it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Kid Fenris posted:

The nicest reading of this is that the author, perhaps without realizing it, is in love with Alice and wants them to be a real couple. But now that he sees her as smarter and more sophisticated and apparently out of his league, it's making it all the more painfully obvious that their relationship is (probably) just a fling.

Yeah its one of those really subtle nested stories because he's also by the end of it obviously not smart enough to suss out she likely picked him because he was a dumb fling and wouldn't be someone she would get too attached to.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for being upset at my parents who “forgot” me when we ate out?

quote:

So I have a cousin that is about 7 that my extended family on my mother’s side doted on, since she is the youngest, and my uncle had her rather late in life when he is in his late 40s.

I was about 19 when she was born, so there is a very large age gap between us, so I tend to treat her more as my niece than as my cousin, as she’s about the age of my nieces and nephews (on my dad’s side).

Because my cousin is the youngest, our families tend to let her get away with a lot of stuff that they wouldn’t have let me get away with when I was her age. I’m probably the only one in my family who even reprimanded her for doing something she shouldn’t—like pinching their family helper or using my house’s sofa as her personal see saw.

So I entered college late at 22, so I was so proud when I was able to graduate college with high honours four years after that, and naturally wanted my parents there. HOWEVER, apparently, my cousin has this “very important piano recital” on my graduation day, and she absolutely wanted both my parents there along with HERS.

I thought my parents would at least attend my college graduation, but nooooo. Apparently, their own niece’s piano recital is more important than their own daughter’s graduation. My older brother and his then girlfriend were the ones to attend my graduation.

But fine, I’m an adult, and I have my brother and his girlfriend there. So no loss.

Recently, due to COVID restrictions being lifted in my country, and we are able to dine out again, both our families decided to have a night out for dinner.

When we were leaving the restaurant, I however got a phone call from work, and has to step away to answer it whilst my dad was footing the bill due to the high noise level. When I finally finished it and went back to where my family were, they were nowhere in sight. Calls to their phones went unanswered.

At this point, I am starting to panic, as I am stranded in the middle of nowhere with just my phone. I made multiple tries to both my parents’ phones, but they didn’t answer. Left with no other choice, I had to hail the equivalent of Uber in my country and went back home.

Fast forward a few hours (10PM). Both my parents and my uncle’s family enter my house, laughing about something. My uncle was going “where were you? We got tired of waiting, so we just left”, and I told them the same thing I did earlier—that I had to answer a phone call and counter with where were they and why didn’t they answer their phones.

My mom then answered with, “Oh, <cousin> wanted an ice cream. So we went off.”

I totally blew up at that point, saying that they “forgot” their own daughter because their niece wanted an ice cream?! In the heat of anger, I might have said more than I ought to.

Now, my parents and even my uncle’s family are both mad at me for being this upset because they just wanted to get my cousin an ice cream, saying that I’m an adult, and I can always go home by myself. It’s not that which I’m upset about.

AITA?
From the comments:

quote:

NTA your parents are being terrible. Honestly if my parents skipped my college graduation for an effing piano recital for a 7 year old I would probably go NC. Leaving you at a restaurant like that is really lovely. Do you even want people who care so little about you in your life?

OP posted:

In hindsight, I should have guessed they’ll do something like this when they barely spoke to me all night and just fussed over my cousin like she’s a baby and not the 7 year old she is. It explains why my brother stopped nearly all communication with them since he got married
:smith: At least OP has her brother in her life.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

ThePopeOfFun posted:

An old sci-fi movie called Enemy Mine.

Ah yes I have seen that long ago, I knew it was something. The weird alien with a baby, hanging with a space dude in a big hole.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

AITA for disallowing my nephew from stroking my cat and "insulting" him to my sister?

This is where I may be the rear end in a top hat

oh yeah you were totally in the clear before you yanked an animal supposedly in your care so badly that it bit you for the crime of liking a child you despise

e: i believe in this post, but it's given me an insight into writing fake posts: the most important trait of a villainous OP is a lack of self awareness.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

B-Rock452 posted:

Emphasis. When I think "gaping rear end in a top hat" I think of goatse and simpler times. When I think "huge gaping rear end in a top hat" I think of the type of person who would put on a ski mask to scare a woman who just survived a home invasion

Oh, I was joking. I was humorously implying I parsed "fan of pranks" as "huge gaping rear end in a top hat" and saw no difference between two pieces of identical text.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

IIRC if you're using your silverware constantly it's fine to put it in the dishwasher. Silver tarnishes when it's being left to sit, and if it's constantly being used and washed tarnish isn't nearly as much of a problem.

As long as you don't let it touch any stainless flatware while it's in there - that makes a nasty galvanic corrosion mess.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Friendly reminder to goons that old china, especially ones with bright colors were full of lead and other unsavory poo poo.

Also, literally every glass I drank out of from age 8 to 16

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

oh man I definitely had one of those Garfield mugs

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(crawls into dishwasher, attempts vainly to press "on")

Okay I am yoinking this for the Forum Quotes Thread :lovebird:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I hope the production process was changed at some point, because 90% of the plates I've used in my life up until this very day have been that Corelle design :buddy:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

haveblue posted:

Pay for the manufacture and installation of a new stained glass door, except the image on it is goatse

Heh, stained rear end door

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nashona posted:

I've heard in the foster system, sometimes those kids use trash bags as suitcases, so extra piece of poo poo.

Yeah, chances are he triggered the gently caress out of her with that. No wonder she was crying. :smith:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITA for taking out a pay day loan so I can go to LVLUP Expo and get my cosplay right? My parents are furious with me, to the point of cutting me off.

quote:

I am using a throwaway since I am moderator on several of the subs that have to do with my hobby of cosplay, anime and hentai.

This is one of those ones where I see my self as being 80% right but I want to be fair because honestly I depend on my parents for a lot of stuff (rent, tuition, food, car insurance).

I am huge into cosplay and gaming. It has been my dream to go to a big convention in my cosplay. A friend suggested we got to LVL UP since it has everything we like. The badges aren't super expensive but we decided we wanted to super splurge on accomodations so maybe we could host parties in our room. So the total cost of my trip including everything (airfare, room, estimate for food, badge) is about $3500. I had $2000 that I was supposed to pay towards my credit card but I decided to get the rest I would get a pay day loan this was back in march so the trip is all paid for.

I wanted to keep it a secret from my parents but I accidentally missed my first payment to the pay day loan and for some god knows how reason the people at the pay day loan place did a search for my name since I as ducking their calls until I could borrow some money from a friend and they called my parents home number looking for me (I can't even imagine this is legal!?!)

So here's the deal, I'm no like so dense that I don't understand I messed up. I mean I know that I NEED to pay my debts. But here's the deal, I mean I'm only in college once and I only get to do things like LVLUP while I'm young. I also think this was a very normal mistake and my parents should give me enough room to make mistakes and learn from them.

But my parents are freaking the hell out. My dad has basically said this is it, that after the credit card debt and my grades and now the pay day loan and missing a payment I have shown a level if irresponsibility that he can't trust me any more and I either move home to go to community college and work for his company or he cuts me off for good. As harsh as that was my mom was even worse and she literally screamed at me like cussing names and told me that they didn't raise me like this and I acting like a "spoiled Instagram rear end in a top hat."

edit: just for clarification I'm 20f.

Like I said I KNOW I messed up, but am I really an rear end in a top hat?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Friendly reminder to goons that old china, especially ones with bright colors were full of lead and other unsavory poo poo.

Holy poo poo, that was my parents' pattern.

It explains so much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for taking out a pay day loan so I can go to LVLUP Expo and get my cosplay right? My parents are furious with me, to the point of cutting me off.

lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

DandyLion posted:

Yeah its one of those really subtle nested stories because he's also by the end of it obviously not smart enough to suss out she likely picked him because he was a dumb fling and wouldn't be someone she would get too attached to.

:bravo:

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

oh gently caress i STILL have one of those garfield mugs, what the gently caress

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it doesn't mean any of that lead ever leached into your food, though, they're testing via x-ray spectroscopy, not with a surface wipe

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

"Accidentally" missed the first payment.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

When I looked it up there were some collectors on Reddit who used swabs to test their own collections and tested positive, which would only happen if the lead was capable of leaching out. A pack of 3M Leadcheck swabs should tell you pretty quickly if your stuff is safe, if you're concerned about it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Everett False posted:

When I looked it up there were some collectors on Reddit who used swabs to test their own collections and tested positive, which would only happen if the lead was capable of leaching out. A pack of 3M Leadcheck swabs should tell you pretty quickly if your stuff is safe, if you're concerned about it.

yeah, we bought a little kit to test the glassware we got from my mil

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

AKA Pseudonym posted:

this can't be real

but then again, knowing people...

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Cosplayers are a loving cut above sometimes, I swear.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Goon Boots posted:

this can't be real

but then again, knowing people...

This is the exact sort of thing the payday loan industry is built on so it must happen pretty often

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AKA Pseudonym posted:

quote:

spoiled Instagram rear end in a top hat
:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Neito posted:

Cosplayers are a loving cut above sometimes, I swear.

Eh, I wouldn't even say this is a cosplayer specific thing. Lots of people manage to cosplay and attend cons without taking out payday loans for it. This is more "college idiot who didn't get taught financial responsibility and is focused on having a Fun College Experience".

Edit: oh wait, right, she "missed" the first payment and was dodging their calls, and daddy is giving her a job so she can start paying this off.

Still not a cosplay thing, it's a spoiled (wannabe?) rich idiot thing. Most people would get the cheapest room possible, and just accept that their cosplay isn't going to be perfect rather than going into debt over it.

tinytort fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 15, 2022