Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

Yeah I have a Moondrop problem so I'd already bought them, though that was mostly because I needed some new tips and was going to buy the spring tips anyway. Might as well pay £4 more and get a new beater IEM in the process.

Even if these are mediocre I wanted to try the moondrop spring tips anyway. Unless they're really bad they'll at least compete with the low-end Final Audio beaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Artelier posted:

Thanks! Would that still be the recommendation if the 770 Pro and the 990 Pro are the same price? Because they are in my region (differing on sale prices)

I think the 990's are a bit treble forward tbh but should be more detailed for games where sound matters like Tarkov or Hunt.

For music and all round media usage, I prefer the 770's. Try them both if you can, it's gonna be more a matter of personal preference.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Where's the best place to pick up a pair of those chu headphones?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

mariooncrack posted:

Where's the best place to pick up a pair of those chu headphones?

I’ve had good experiences with Shenzhen Audio

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

trem_two posted:

I’ve had good experiences with Shenzhen Audio

Yeah that’s where I placed my order.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shenzhen Audio, Linsoul and I think HifiGo are the big 3 chifi resellers, then Moondrop has their own official store on AliExpress. Have a look around and go with whatever's cheapest (which is Shenzhen Audio most of the time in my experience).

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
My BeyerDynamic DT770s (80 ohm) are barely holding together after 12 years of use and it's time for an upgrade. I've been happy with them previously.

I'd like to try open-back or at least semi-open-back.

I'll mainly be using them with my PC with just onboard audio and no amplifier. So max 80 ohm. Actually, preferably less than 80 ohm. I'd like slightly higher volume.

Comfort is also important.

Please suggest options that cost max €250-300.

The 990s are only sold in 250 or 32 ohm apparently?

Do you lose a lot of detail by going with 32 ohm?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 14, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you're not working with a shitload of production equipment or have a need to justify an amp purchase you don't need to give a toss about resistance as far as I know.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Should I just go for a BeyerDynamic 990 32ohm then?

Or has something better/more comfy come out in the last dozen years or so since they released 770/990?

I'm willing to pay a bit more than the price of the 990s if that gets me more quality.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 14, 2022

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Have you considered Sennheiser HD6xx or HD 58x? They'd be good options.

YMMV but the onboard on my new PC is pretty good. It doesn't have any issues driving my HD6xx.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PirateBob posted:

Should I just go for a BeyerDynamic 990 32ohm then?

I think the general consensus on the 990 is that the treble is really uncomfortably sharp.

PirateBob posted:

Or has something better/more comfy come out in the last dozen years or so since they released 770/990?

I'm willing to pay a bit more than the price of the 990s if that gets me more quality.

I really like the new DT 700 Pro X that I got to replace my 770s. They look (and sound imo) better than the 770s too.

They do a 900 Pro X if you wanted to try semi-open

mariooncrack posted:

Have you considered Sennheiser HD6xx or HD 58x? They'd be good options.

but yeah for open back I love any Sennheiser HD6-series

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

101 posted:

I think the general consensus on the 990 is that the treble is really uncomfortably sharp.

I really like the new DT 700 Pro X that I got to replace my 770s. They look (and sound imo) better than the 770s too.

They do a 900 Pro X if you wanted to try semi-open

but yeah for open back I love any Sennheiser HD6-series

I tried the 900 Pro X for a few minutes in a store and they seemed a bit tight on/around my ears. I suppose the same would be the case for the 700 Pro X as they're identical other than being open/closed, right?

Would they soften up after some use?

I don't really like the look of the Sennheiser 600... looks like it was designed in the 1990s, which it was.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 14, 2022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PirateBob posted:

I tried the 900 Pro X for a few minutes in a store and they seemed a bit tight on/around my ears. I suppose the same would be the case for the 700 Pro X as they're identical other than being open/closed, right?

Would they soften up after some use?

Yeah identical and yeah the clamp force out of the box is pretty tight but once you wear them for a week or so or put them around a box over night they loosen up to comfortable levels.

The plus side of the tight clamp is they isolate quite well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
As someone in the ~Apple ecosystem~, is it worth getting the airpod pros at 25% off for ANC earbuds? Previous set is the Beats Powerbeats Pro with the Xbox huge charging case.
For what it's worth i liked the way the included earpods fit when i bought my iPhone 11, but they're so light that moving the wire moves them, and I don't want wires regardless.

They aren't due for a refresh soon or anything are they?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think they are worth it. I use mine all the time.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PirateBob posted:

The 990s are only sold in 250 or 32 ohm apparently?

Do you lose a lot of detail by going with 32 ohm?

Sort of yes, but the 990s are a niche headphone either way. You have to like extremely sharp treble. Gamers like them because all that high end makes footsteps easy to place, but for general use I'm not a fan.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

If you're not working with a shitload of production equipment or have a need to justify an amp purchase you don't need to give a toss about resistance as far as I know.

Higher impedance means more inherent damping, which in theory means faster transient response. There's a benefit to high impedance headphones and it took a long time for (i.e.) Sennheiser to come up with an HD series design with lower resistance that sounded worthy of the line. That said, it's just one tool in the box and higher impedance headphones don't necessarily sound better. It depends on the overall design.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been running my 250ohm 990s straight out of my laptop's headphone jack just fine, but yeah i ended up installing EqualizerAPO and Peace to EQ the treble down. i love using them while gaming but tbh i find myself using my 770s for basically everything else

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mister Facetious posted:

As someone in the ~Apple ecosystem~, is it worth getting the airpod pros at 25% off for ANC earbuds? Previous set is the Beats Powerbeats Pro with the Xbox huge charging case.
For what it's worth i liked the way the included earpods fit when i bought my iPhone 11, but they're so light that moving the wire moves them, and I don't want wires regardless.

They aren't due for a refresh soon or anything are they?

1) yes absolutely worth it if you’re In ThE eCoSyStEm

2) there’s also the new Beats with ANC that are a bit cheaper and run all the same features

AirPods Pro seem to be retailing at ~170-190, Beats at 150.

3) there have been rumors of a 2022 AirPods Pro refresh for a while, and also of a 2021 refresh. It’s hard to know with all the supply chain poo poo happening. You’ll know they’re getting updated when they’re updated

FWIW the new ones won’t cost <$200, and if it’s anything like the regular AirPods then they’ll probably keep selling the current model at the current “discounted” rate which is a fair bit off from the $250 MSRP they debuted at.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Saw an article the other day that when new AirPods Pro revision happens the current model will be phased out. Apparently the AirPods 3 haven't sold as well as anticipated partly due to keeping the 2nd generation around. Those are usually being sold for close to the $100 price point so people are opting to just buy them instead.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also the AirPods 3 don't fit a lot of people's ears from what I've heard which probably got more people to buy the discounted 2's if they were in the market for new ones.

Also Crinacle did a full video on the Chus. "I'm about to make Moondrop a lot of money."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMy3DJ18ntE

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ok Comboomer posted:

and if it’s anything like the regular AirPods then they’ll probably keep selling the current model at the current “discounted” rate which is a fair bit off from the $250 MSRP they debuted at.

There was some rumour and talk recently that they weren't going to do that again because the 3 is supposedly underperforming because they did this with the 2

Edit: I should refresh before posting

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

njsykora posted:

Also the AirPods 3 don't fit a lot of people's ears from what I've heard which probably got more people to buy the discounted 2's if they were in the market for new ones.

Also Crinacle did a full video on the Chus. "I'm about to make Moondrop a lot of money."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMy3DJ18ntE

That was the case with me. The original AirPods form factor fits my ears well. I tried the 3 and they're big enough they don't fit as snug so some head movement causes them to fall out.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I found and ended up going to a small boutique shop that isolates people and equipment best they can, and I tried out various models: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and DT900 Pro X, Sennheiser S560s, and Hifiman Sundara. Loved the Sundara and DT-900, but in the end I went with the DT 900 - both headphones were very different and in some ways the Sundara does sound better in the songs I was listening to, but the soundstage (I think that's the term) was better on the DT 900 (and it still also sounded better out of the box in other ways)

Just spent one day listening to the DT 900 and I feel like I've unlocked a whole new world - been rediscovering all my favourite songs. Definitely an upgrade and a big difference from my almost-decade-old ATH M50x

Tbh, I kind of still want the Sundara, but the not-as-nice build quality, the short (one year) warranty, and, ultimately, the possibility that I might need a cable and an amp to drive it properly (it definitely was incredibly soft on the work laptop I had on me - worked beautifully on the store's own amp/dac tho), meant that price wise it was effectly like a minimum of 500 ringgit more expensive than the DT 900 once you add all these other concerns in.

...........I'm going to end up saving it and getting it (or maybe something even better) next year, aren't I?

Also, I liked the DT 990 too but the 900 felt like there was a lot more...clarity? I could make out the instruments better. Also, I felt that the 990's treble was kinda harsh on my ears, even within 15-ish minutes of testing on like 4 songs. So even though it was the original recommendation, I liked the 900 much more in the end.

Thanks everyone. Testing is the best in the end - was just hard to find a "takes safety seriously in pandemic" shop which is why I originally ruled it out

Artelier fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 16, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I use my Sundaras out of my phone and they’re fine, need almost full volume but you absolutely don’t need an amp for them. Good to hear you like what you got though, hearing new stuff in old songs is the most fun part of getting new headphones.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm thinking about getting Arias since they seem to be one of the most recommended IEMs from Moondrop and Harman-neutral tuning is fine by me. Noticed there's a special edition version with Hatsune Miku and thought might as well go for that since it looks nicer. It seems to be sold out everywhere except for here: https://www.xtenik.com/product/moondrop-aria-special-edition/ Has anyone used this site before? I was hoping it would be available at Shenzen so I could get it along with the Chu.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’ve never heard of that place but I do wish I’d gotten the Miku Arias when I had the chance, they sold out on Shenzhen within a few days.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Are there any issues with wireless headphones? Is latency a problem? I kinda liked the Hifiman Deva ones, and they support bluetooth.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Are there any issues with wireless headphones? Is latency a problem?

It can be when watching videos.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've got Sony WH-1000XM3s and they're fine for video and general media consumption for me personally, but absolutely unusable for gaming unless it's like turn based or something. Besides that, no issues personally.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MarcusSA posted:

It can be when watching videos.

Generally not, most operating systems delay the video to match the bluetooth lag. Anything realtime like gaming or audio/video editing is a no go though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Artelier posted:

I've got Sony WH-1000XM3s and they're fine for video and general media consumption for me personally, but absolutely unusable for gaming unless it's like turn based or something. Besides that, no issues personally.

How come?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The latency between performing an action and hearing the sound being quite obvious, I would imagine

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's subjective - i use the XM4s with my TV when playing Xbox and it's fine. i can't say i've even noticed latency

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, it's weird. I used some Sony WH900's for gaming for like 4 years and didn't notice latency at all. I even did those youtube tests with the bouncing ball and it matched up perfectly. Everything I read says the latency should be super bad but I didn't notice it at all.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've been using Soundpeats Q12. They cost like, 30 bucks, and were great for using at work. They would break down after a year or so, but that wasn't so bad at that price point. I really liked the flat wire that wouldn't tangle, but it was wearing on my neck. Thinking it's time to upgrade to wireless since Q12 is no longer produced, but nothing I'm seeing on Amazon is quite measuring up. Soundpeats Q12 could do 14 hours on a charge. Everything I'm seeing is 5 to 8.

I use my headphones with my iphone for podcasts and my PC for general browsing, games, listening to voice chat. I've never had trouble with those Q12s and gaming, so I don't think I need hyper specialized headphones.

Features that are important to me
  • IEM, wireless, bluetooth
  • Battery Life on a single charge. Bare minimum 8 hours, but I'd love more.
  • Lifespan. I've been paying 30 bucks for headphones that last a year or so on average. I'd hate to spend a much larger amount on product that doesn't last.
  • Physical buttons. I'm not thrilled with the idea of touch controls. Of everything here, I might be willing to give up on this for the right set.

Not Important
  • I don't listen to music very often.
  • I've never wanted to use the built-in microphone for anything. But I've always had pretty cheap headphones.

Any suggestions?

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 18, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

First thought is the Samsung Galaxy Buds+, which have around 10-12h on a charge. Might need to go hunting for them since I don't think they're being made any more but because of that you can probably find them super cheap somewhere. If you're fine with a neck cable you could also look at the Beats Flex which get around 10h on a charge, have physical buttons for controls and are only about $50.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've been getting kind of tired of the neck cable dragging on me, especially in bed or while doing any physical activity.

What should I be looking to spend on those Samsung Galaxy Buds+? That's these, right? A little pricey, but if they last years then I think that's justifiable.

Open to any other ideas too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Those are the Buds Pro, the Buds Plus are the ones between the original Galaxy Buds and the current Buds 2. I think it shouldn't be too hard to find them at or under $100. Here's a refurbished set for $65, though it looks like their reputation is leading to people trying to scalp them given how many there seem to be on Amazon US for over $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah those don't seem easy to find at all.