Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Wednesday uh... 7?

Extra long season for us this year, with 9 wed races plus the two day rolling thunder thing. Usually we have 6 leading up to that and then we're done. The next two weeks, being after the time change, might get a little dark but we're starting earlier. Sunset on the 17th is 4:59 though.

The last two weeks were at the same course but we changed things around slightly. Moved the start finish, changed the lower section, but kept a lot the same which saved me some work. I even had time to rake leaves and create a nice clear grassy path through some trees. People seem to be liking the courses which is nice to hear.

At the start I somehow wound up on the front. For long enough to start thinking "ok guys any time now." Dan passed me before the runup and then I let Howard and Toby by on the little paved section and followed them to the barriers. They all jumped them and then I was like 10 yards back and ok well see you that was fun for awhile. Then I was cruising in that position for a couple of laps while Brian, Shaun, and Rob crept closer. Then we were together for a few laps. Then Brian put in a dig and we lost Shaun, then at the start of the next lap (I think 3 to go) he seemed to be slowing up so I went around, really pushing it through the parking lot and around the baseball field because I had a little gap and didn't want to let him sit in my draft on that fast section. Coming out of the baseball field we make a sweeping 180 that goes from grass to dirt and then get into a couple of tight corners before looping around to the runup and I wanted to use that to widen my gap. But, well, I took that 180 a little too fast and the whole bike slid out from under me when i hit the dirt. Brian asked if I was ok as he went by, I think I said "I should have worn gloves." So that kind of took the wind out of my sails. I got right back up but my palm has a good scrape in it which was pretty uncomfortable. Knee and elbow also have good scrapes, but no holes in new skinsuit. Shaun and Cory both got past me. I did manage to get back up to Shaun but he got me in the sprint. I think I could have held onto 4th without the crash. But other than that, another good race, glad to be turning it around a bit although it's the end of the season for us. Unless I want to go to nats or something. There is a group going for our junior team but I'm not really planning on it. The money to go out and do that could buy me some new skis.

Shaun, me, Brian on the runup that Howard was apparently riding

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I"m amazed the dude in the foreground of that pic still has such pristine looking Lakes. I have the same pair and after literally one race they were so damaged that they gave me a new pair (in a different material) for free.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m just now realizing this Howard mentioned is probably Howard Grotts. I’m very smart. Dude is a beast.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m just now realizing this Howard mentioned is probably Howard Grotts. I’m very smart. Dude is a beast.

Yeah. It's been kind of surreal showing up at the local xc and cx races this year and lining up next to him. Although Sam Schultz used to show up to them too. I wonder if Caleb Schwartz will show up to next week's race. He appears to be in town for a bit.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jamal posted:

Yeah. It's been kind of surreal showing up at the local xc and cx races this year and lining up next to him. Although Sam Schultz used to show up to them too. I wonder if Caleb Schwartz will show up to next week's race. He appears to be in town for a bit.

I do love seeing a random pro rock up to CX races. We had a Skyline guy show up to the opening race of the season, he got 2nd but was 3 minutes down from a local guy. Never came back. Wild stuff.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Another wednesday - slightly dark.

We're down to the last two races, at a golf course again. A different one though, the university course which is right in town kind of up against a mountain. While being mostly flat it did let use use part of the hillside for a big runup. The cycling house was the sponsor for the night, so Owen and Brendan came and helped me set up the course, which saved a lot of time, plus they covered the bar tab and brought prizes, including $50 for a first lap prime in every category.

Being after the time change, we moved the start time up to 5. With sunset being at 5:08. I put a light on my bike and off we went into some light snow. The start was fast due to that first lap prime and I was on the outside of the first turn which put me back and chasing a little. I'm sprinting down this cart path with my heartrate almost pegged like 30s into the race trying to catch onto this group of like 6-7 wondering wtf is going on. Jake was behind me and said he had the same feeling. I latched on as we hit the off camber then didn't ride it smoothly and was chasing again. But I got onto Cory, Brian, and Shaun while Howard, Dan, and Toby rode away. Especially Howard and Dan. Toby actually stayed in sight at one point I wondered if we might catch him.

Things chilled out a bit once that prime was out of reach and Garrett, Jake, and Alex and Elliot, both juniors I coach at nica, caught up, making us a pretty big group. Next lap on the off camber Cory takes the high line and I go low, and then he slides down into my line and forces me off my bike so I run the whole rest of the thing, again losing spaces and having to close down a gap. Then Jake takes the front before the runup and gets a little space on us with Garrett so we're all chasing, but I'm trying to be patient and letting Cory do the work. These are long laps by the way- over 8 min for us and we only did 4. Then on the off camber Garrett goes down while leading and Jake piles into him, Cory, I, Alex, and maybe Brian go by. I go to the front before the runup because I felt like Cory and Brian were going too slow around the sharp downhill corners after it, and Alex and I get a gap that Cory has to chase down. Then I turn on my light because it's getting pretty dark and the three of us go into the last lap.

Cory gets back up and leads for the first part of the lap. I consider turning off my light to make him think he dropped me. He puts in a good push up to the top of the off camber and then again on the slight uphill cart path after it, but I can follow it and Alex is back there too. Then he blows the next corner around some trees, I come through on the inside, and things are on the other foot as I put in an effort up the long grass drag over to the runup. But Cory's still there and comes back around me before the barrier that forces the run.. But I out run him to the top and am clear of both of them going back down the hill. We're almost there and I seem to have a nice gap to Alex too but he closes down right before the finish, gets around me into a lapped rider, and beats me at the line. I guess I should have been pedaling harder there but nice ride by him.

I chose a loaf of fancy bread from the prize table.

Course got a little slippery but was mostly on grass and gravel or paved path so I went up a bit with my pressures, to 28/31. Seemed to work ok and probably came down a bit riding in the wet, cold grass. I felt good, was able to get that little extra effort out, probably because the course setup went faster and easier. Sometimes I struggle to get my HR over threshold (LTHR for me is 171ish) but I managed to hold a higher average and touch 175 a couple times, signs I was just a little bit fresher than usual. Last weekend I rode quite a bit but just for fun on the MTB. Casual spin Monday, then a quick zwift ride tues for some openers where I put down some decent numbers up a short climb. Could have used a little more warmup and felt that at the start, but good race, was happy about it even after getting beat by a junior at the line. My fault for relaxing a bit in the last like 500m.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 11, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Trigger Warning: unsanctioned training crit on open roads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnRUYDULUFw

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Week 9 - we're done now?

Last week wound up being a really long lap so we shortened it up a bit, getting rid of a big loop around the far side of the course that was mostly on cart path and then some slow uphill grass for like 400 yards. Instead it was right over to the runup after the off camber. This made the laps a more reasonable length and we did 6 of them for a 40min race. It also snowed a bit tuesday night and was fairly cold.

off camber

you climb up the ridge of that little hill, then go down the side, back up, back down, back up, and off the other end. Kind of had to pick your way across it with a foot out although it doesn't look so bad in that picture.

I took this today, yesterday during the race it was covered in snow. The barrier forces the run, unless you're Howard, and then there's that other barrier up there too that makes you run again to a little road above those trees. it's a long way. Maybe you think of remounting in between. I rode the middle once last week and then just ran it the whole way every time this week. It didn't seem to make a difference on time and running the flat was probably easier than remounting, accelerating, dismounting.

Had a few new additions to the A field this time - Caleb Swartz, a pretty fast pro, and Max, the kid who won the butte 100. At the start Caleb had a huge gap in like the first 30 seconds and Howard was kind of blocked in. Caleb sat up and let us all kind of regroup then Howard hit the run up first, hopping both barriers and riding it, then at the next downhill turn Caleb was pulled off with a mechanical and DNF'd. Would have been interesting to see how that shook out. Howard was beating him at the XC races this spring but Caleb is in pretty good shape right now and has some pretty good results this season.

Dan and Max I think stayed together most of the race in 2nd and 3rd, then there was Toby, then Cory and I got away from the usual group and were in our own race. Toby actually sat up and seemed to be waiting for us, then crashed on the off camber (glad I took the high line that time), then quit. The middle couple laps we were kind of just riding together, then with 2 to go, I got space on Cory on the runup and was away for a good while but he got back up to me at the start of the last lap, then came through with his own attack that I managed to follow. I was pretty cooked going into the runup and so the best I could do was stay with him just in time for a little bit of a rest back down. Except my shoes wouldn't go into the pedals because they were all iced up, and he got a gap. Not far from there to the end and mostly downhill, and I couldn't catch back up. Kind of same as last week but reversed. He got 4th, I got 5th. We were really close on series points and if I'd beat him I think I would have gotten 3rd overall (and a prize).

Didn't feel as good this week I think because of a shitload of walking tuesday and wed working on the course. Last week I had more help and a golf cart to use, this week no cart and the fairly slight changes took longer than I expected plus the wind monday night ripped up most of the tape. Max HR was 172, on the last lap at the top of the runup it only hit 171 and that was going as hard as I could. I also wasn't happy with how I was taking some of the corners. There was a really fast right after a downhill that I never seemed to take right, and I wasn't really great at the downhill switchbacks this time either. Last week I felt like I was getting through those spots faster than Cory but not so much this week.

Anyhow, fun season. I have good fitness but am probably done racing cross for the year. Put out some good numbers on my openers ride on the trainer tues night, like tied my best 20min power with a pretty low avg hr. We start a zwift series next week so I guess I have that. I've been joking that we should just keep racing cross outside until there's too much snow.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 19, 2021

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

TobinHatesYou posted:

This rules. thank you so much for posting it.

its also the longest youtube video i have ever watched the whole video of

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Time posted:

This rules. thank you so much for posting it.

its also the longest youtube video i have ever watched the whole video of

It was very engaging. Jamal, thanks for posting your race reports, they're always fun to read. You have for sure a lot more winter going on than down here in the mid-atlantic.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Albinator posted:

It was very engaging.

Credit to my friend whose footage/edit that is. I am in there though on the very subtle TREK.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

TobinHatesYou posted:

Credit to my friend whose footage/edit that is. I am in there though on the very subtle TREK.

You made me watch it again! And it is better second time round, so much subtlety..

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

jamal posted:

Week 9 - we're done now?

My main sports are trail running and mountaineering and I just gravel cycle for fun and crosstraining with a casual race here and there, but I enjoy your race reports a lot. Thanks for posting them and in such detail - they are always interesting.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TobinHatesYou posted:

It's a gorgeous bike

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

TobinHatesYou posted:

This was very enjoyable!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jamal posted:

Just saw Caleb is at nats for mens elite and even featured under the dark horse section of “who to watch”. Hope he does well! I have a friend there for Saturday’s SS.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah he was 10th at pan ams, be cool if he does well at nats. We have a good number of locals out there with our new jr dev team. I think Ellen and Gilly will have a good race in 15-16 girls. Elsa's in the UCI jr category, Ivan will try to put together a decent U23 race.

here's one from that last race

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 11, 2021

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
My wife is at CX nats working in the bike wash (She works for Muc-Off). says the cold is pretty shocking for her, a lifelong So-Cal-er.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I don’t know jack poo poo about tubs but I just got an ultra light wheelset for dirt cheap. Anyone have recommendations for 22-23mm, almost exclusively for racing? Light weight is the key.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I don’t know jack poo poo about tubs but I just got an ultra light wheelset for dirt cheap. Anyone have recommendations for 22-23mm, almost exclusively for racing? Light weight is the key.

Where do you want to land in the durability scale?

Corsa Speeds or Veloflex Records are fast and light as gently caress, but I would only use them on a clean surface in a crit.
Crit because you get a free lap - I wouldn't use it in a road race because even if I get a wheel swap from the follow car it's not worth the risk of having to chase back on.

If you want to use these in TTs and are willing to risk losing for the chance to win, I guess that's the other scenario where tires that light makes sense.

Otherwise: Veloflex protour race or Vittoria Corsa.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

Where do you want to land in the durability scale?

Corsa Speeds or Veloflex Records are fast and light as gently caress, but I would only use them on a clean surface in a crit.
Crit because you get a free lap - I wouldn't use it in a road race because even if I get a wheel swap from the follow car it's not worth the risk of having to chase back on.

If you want to use these in TTs and are willing to risk losing for the chance to win, I guess that's the other scenario where tires that light makes sense.

Otherwise: Veloflex protour race or Vittoria Corsa.

Hill climb (~7 miles) is the first priority, I’d probably also use it for some road races with significant climbing so no free lap. Sounds like the Veloflex Protour Race and Vittoria Corsas would be a good starting point then?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hill climb (~7 miles) is the first priority, I’d probably also use it for some road races with significant climbing so no free lap. Sounds like the Veloflex Protour Race and Vittoria Corsas would be a good starting point then?

Yeah. I haven't used the protour race tubulars, but the construction looks very similar to the record tubular, just with a puncture strip.
Corsas are great until they delaminate, but you shouldn't be running race tires that long anyway.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
At least according to BRR, nothing comes close to the tubeless Corsa Speeds (with or without a latex tube) for Crr. Any weight advantage (even for Mt. Washington) is surely be negated by the Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR's additional rolling efficiency over a slightly beefier Corsa tubular. I have no qualms with running Corsa Speed TLRs on rough pavement...I raced Central Valley road races on them.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 23, 2022

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

At least according to BRR, nothing comes close to the tubeless Corsa Speeds (with or without a latex tube) for Crr. Any weight advantage (even for Mt. Washington) is surely be negated by the Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR's additional rolling efficiency over a slightly beefier Corsa tubular. I have no qualms with running Corsa Speed TLRs on rough pavement...I raced Central Valley road races on them.

I haven't seen any data on the Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR vs. the Corsa Speed G2.0 Tubular, though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

I haven't seen any data on the Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR vs. the Corsa Speed G2.0 Tubular, though.

The only reason why I trust a Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR tire in a race is the tubeless aspect. I don’t know what the pavement is like on Mt. Washington though.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

The only reason why I trust a Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR tire in a race is the tubeless aspect. I don’t know what the pavement is like on Mt. Washington though.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Yeah, I dunno. I'd do it for a hillclimb, personally, especially if he's already got the wheels.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Just gonna copy-pasta my race report sent to the team:

quote:

Date: February 19, 2022
Course: 20mi out-and-back along an old stretch of highway. Its single defining feature is a .8mi "climb" averaging 3%.
Conditions: Sunny. Warm enough to skip the baselayer and arm warmers at the start. Not enough wind to influence the race.
Category: Masters 40+ 123
Field size: 33
Result: 7th
Teammates: Lanier (DNF, flat)

Height: 177cm
Weight: 61kg
Pavg: 222W
Pnp: 247W
Pmax: 922W
Time: 2h51m
Speed: 24.6mph
HRavg: 144bpm
HRmax: 164bpm

Week-of race prep:
- Initiated a successful 2-man breakaway from the gun of the Tuesday Nooner (Double Sand Hill.)
- 100mi/8500ft on Wednesday.
- Practiced "jumping across" on the Thursday Nooner (Long Route)

How it went:
Riding beyond my ability. Dumb or genius? Before the race, I told Lanier I wasn't really interested in waiting for the inevitable Mark Tucker or Scott Giles move because everyone else would be doing that. SJBC, ATP Velo Kings and CoreTechs each had a large presence, but usually nothing really happens on the first lap, so...

...when a few fine gentlemen surged after the half-lap u-turn only to sit up seconds later, I took my momentum and rode right past. One other (Jason) comes with me and we work well together before a 6-man chase catches us a full lap later. The now 8-man break gets into a standard paceline and we put more than 5 minutes on the rest of the field with SuperDave and Richard Gabel (ATP Velo Kings) lost somewhere in between.

Everyone in the break decides to conserve before the hill at the end of lap 2, but WHY? Let's f'ing go. I up the tempo hoping they’ll do the same, but they give me a gap...which makes it an attack I guess. I spend another quarter lap solo OTF. The group stops working together after they reel me in and then it REALLY stops working together by the u-turn after the moto tells us the main group has gone to warp (on the backs of Velo Kings) after scooping up SuperDave and Gabel. The gap is down to 1.5min. Mark Tucker attacks the main group over and over and finally breaks free. He is imminent and half the break just rolled over dead. Four of us start doing all the work in a last ditch effort to keep Mark from completing his bridge attempt.

Things Fall Apart. Mark catches us at the foot of the climb. I’m toast and have nothing left for the final 300m. I roll in 7th, relieved that one of the guys who kept working ended up winning the race.

I'm also glad Mark beat every single one of the guys in the break who played dead.

Had the four of us not put in the work, even the main group would have caught us at the line. It was that close.

After the race, breakmates Dustin and Derek come over to tell me I did too much work. Yep I know, I know.

Post-mortem:
For me this was a bittersweet end to an incredible day. My attack formed the winning breakaway at mile 10 of a 70 mile race. I spent 20 of those miles in a 2-man break, 35 in an 8-man and 5 alone. With my skillset, I was put in an unwinnable position. Either I slay myself to keep the break alive or sprint against 20 additional bodies who don't have 60 miles worth of breakaway in them. On to Snelling...

Distancing the field on the first lap

Trying to break away from breakaway

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 24, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Prelim race report for today: 6th/37

Literally the exact same thing happened. They let me sneak away with one dude at like mile 10. Another bridged. Eventually we draw out the the 8 strongest dudes and they chase us down --> the most attacky breakaway. There's three teams of two in the now 11-man break and they are intentionally sitting up, letting gaps open and having their teammates counterattack. Meanwhile most of us solo guys are DYING.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 27, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
2/32

And then I did a P12 race and missed the break, and then the main group got blown apart in crosswinds.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 19, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Those are great shots. Nice work on the podium.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

We've had some local zwift racing going on lately but this weekend was the start of actual outside racing in mt.

Saturday was a gravel race in polson but it, uh, didn't last very long. Few miles in we're still neutral, going along this canal on double track. Guy gets on the wrong side of a rut, goes over the bars, lands on his head. Thankfully our little lead group heard about it and went back when no one else was coming because a local er doctor was with us. They had to do CPR and thankfully the ambulance showed up pretty quickly. After we went back to the start we hear encouraging news that he was up and talking and asking about picking up his truck. But apparently he has a brain stem injury and it's not looking good.

Some people went and rode a bit but I just headed home. We put on a crit yesterday and there was coursework to be done so I stopped to check on progress and help. But no one was there and nothing was done. Well not nothing, we had spent the last few days sweeping and putting up no parking signs and stuff, but all the course markings still needed to get put out there. Went and borrowed a pickup, spent a few hours moving all the cones and road closure signs into place, then went into the brewery and drank some beers. Guys showed up at like 630 but there wasn't much left to do. Also as much as I dislike leaf blowers they work really good for cleaning up corners. None of those streets had been swept by the city yet so we had to do it all ourselves.

About that crit, we're doing a four race series, two crits, two road races, on sundays. We start with a clinic, then a beginner race, then experienced women, experienced men. 4 corners, around the block at a brewery, finish on a slight uphill. Better turnout for the last few local crits and our men's field had like 25 starters. I kind of forgot how to ride fast in a group and around corners and spent the first few laps struggling in the back half of the field and then some attacks went and there was a break of 5 up the road with basically all the fastest guys. The rest of the field was still a poo poo show with some people trying to get a rotation established and others refusing to work and the leaders were getting farther away, so one lap up the climb I went up the side. Things were a little strung out and Brian was at the front so I said lets go and there were the two of us. We got the gap down to like 10-15s at one point but those guys were all working together and it started creeping back up. And I was dying. We eased up the last couple laps and I beat Brian for 6th even though I though he was mostly going easy on me toward the end. Next week I should probably stay farther up and pay more attention. And there were some people in the "experienced race" who probably shouldn't have been there. Also wasn't feeling all the way the probably in part after what happened the day before plus a lack of sleep and no warmup and a lot of walking pre-race. HR only hit 172 which is a good sign I'm not at my best. I felt really bad the rest of the day and went to bed at like 9pm.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 28, 2022

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Crit #2 today. I showed up at around 730 to setup the course, moved all the cones in position, set up the road closed signs, put up a bit of tape, got out a broom and swept off little bits of stray gravel. Didn't need to coach the clinic and then course marshalled the first two races. And ate a couple scones and a pb sandwich. I kind of forgot to eat last week. Women's race ended and I had just enough time to use the bathroom and change and go to the start line.

It was fast right from the start and I made sure to stay a little closer to the front and found myself doing a lot of work, pulling, chasing the potential break when some fast guys got a little gap, then things eased up a bit. I pulled through on the finish hill and found myself alone. OK guess I'm out here now. 6 to go? 5, 4, 3. Gap still pretty solid. Am I going to make it? 2 to go, oh poo poo they're getting closer. 1 to go, I still have a gap but they're right there. It widens a bit through turns 2 and 3. I make it to the last turn. Start sprinting up the hill. Top 3 from last week get past me in the last 50m. So close but so far.

there's even video of me losing

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb6c6ZQL76g/

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 4, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jamal posted:

Crit #2 today. I showed up at around 730 to setup the course, moved all the cones in position, set up the road closed signs, put up a bit of tape, got out a broom and swept off little bits of stray gravel. Didn't need to coach the clinic and then course marshalled the first two races. And ate a couple scones and a pb sandwich. I kind of forgot to eat last week. Women's race ended and I had just enough time to use the bathroom and change and go to the start line.

It was fast right from the start and I made sure to stay a little closer to the front and found myself doing a lot of work, pulling, chasing the potential break when some fast guys got a little gap, then things eased up a bit. I pulled through on the finish hill and found myself alone. OK guess I'm out here now. 6 to go? 5, 4, 3. Gap still pretty solid. Am I going to make it? 2 to go, oh poo poo they're getting closer. 1 to go, I still have a gap but they're right there. It widens a bit through turns 2 and 3. I make it to the last turn. Start sprinting up the hill. Top 3 from last week get past me in the last 50m. So close but so far.

there's even video of me losing

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb6c6ZQL76g/

Oh no! Looked really course on the video. How fast were you going at the end there?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Looks like 27-28mph into the last corner and then 25 up the hill. not fast enough though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

First race post accident :toot:

Absolutely dogshit slow (90s slower for the 10 mile on a TT bike than on a road bike, due to putting out like 60W less now) but a) I wasn't going full gas (another race on Friday) and b) I absolutely nailed the turn.

But got one in the bank now, so super pleased.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

First race post accident :toot:

Absolutely dogshit slow (90s slower for the 10 mile on a TT bike than on a road bike, due to putting out like 60W less now) but a) I wasn't going full gas (another race on Friday) and b) I absolutely nailed the turn.

But got one in the bank now, so super pleased.

Nice. I'm working back to crit racing in May but im still thinking about having a go at the 12 hour this year fitness dependent.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Having now done a dive into the numbers, the work I've done to improve my position is definitely working - compared to the last time I did this course on a TT bike (my penultimate race pre crash), on the flat bits I was going faster for less watts into a bigger head wind at higher air pressure. Lost all my time on the 1km at 4% climb due to being a bit more chunky than I was.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Having now done a dive into the numbers, the work I've done to improve my position is definitely working - compared to the last time I did this course on a TT bike (my penultimate race pre crash), on the flat bits I was going faster for less watts into a bigger head wind at higher air pressure. Lost all my time on the 1km at 4% climb due to being a bit more chunky than I was.

Maybe the fat gives you a better Cd.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

For the 15 miler: basically the same story except I threw up 10 miles in