Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WhatEvil posted:

I get what somebody was saying earlier about "We should object to this because it's fascism, not because it's expensive" but also:

https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1514493348643581954?s=20&t=eEuwBU9xmuC6sN5dOVSV4g

I agree with this.

Some people will only see it in terms of money cost.

Like it would literally be cheaper just to build a house for each person that comes to the UK and house them in it and give them free IKEA furniture and a flatscreen TV and all the other shite that people already seem to believe happens when refugees are let in, than it will be to send them to Rwanda.

As a counterpoint

https://twitter.com/EdmundGriffiths/status/1514559339004104705?t=dUChIZdupTayOcojXWHdxQ&s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jeherrin posted:

Anyway I’m drunkdespairposting so I am going to bed. I’m glad y’all exist. You’re good people.

Take it easy, bud.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Ha this country man

It's hard to be too shocked because of course, but christ almighty

That said the thought of a priti patel government fills me with genuine dread because she seems like one of a minority of tories who realise how power works and are willing to use it to grand if terrifying ideological ends rather than just for blowjobs and kickbacks in the Johnson mold.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

OwlFancier posted:

They might not instigate it, but I doubt they would change it, other than to do worse at yarls wood or something.

They opposed it publicly not long ago

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-johnson-immigration-offshore-b1873903.html

the article is paywalled but presumably the article follows the headline

edit: or maybe not paywalled, now I can see it so maybe it was just cookies lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

They opposed it publicly not long ago

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-johnson-immigration-offshore-b1873903.html

the article is paywalled but presumably the article follows the headline

edit: or maybe not paywalled, now I can see it so maybe it was just cookies lol

Oh I'm sure they will say it's bad, what I mean is that I don't think they would actually reverse it if they got into power. I think the objection is purely rhetorical. Starmer has consitently demonstrated that he only really cares about putting as many people as possible in prison, so as I said, the only thing I think labour might do different is they would favour the domestic horror camps we already have.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm still voting Labour even if they're eminently poo poo. It's either them stagnating us in poo poo, the Tories making things worse, or civil war. And I'm too old and fat for civil war.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

They might not instigate it, but I doubt they would change it, other than to do worse at yarls wood or something.
I might be wrong but Yarl's Wood doesn't have quite the same history of disappearing people into human trafficking systems. 'Resettled' over 100k my arse.

https://twitter.com/pritipatel/status/1514639268739751942?t=yL92yGyfsX4HSeF3vlmByg&s=19

Spoilered for racism and piss boiling content.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, as far as I know we have very little idea what goes on in there since theresa may blocked investigation into whether it was full of rapists because "the results of the investigation could harm the commercial interests of the operator of the prison"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

I'm still voting Labour even if they're eminently poo poo. It's either them stagnating us in poo poo, the Tories making things worse, or civil war. And I'm too old and fat for civil war.

Local Elections are coming up.
There's no reason not to vote with your conscience for these, since councils/Local Authorities have a pretty limited scope of actual influence these days.
Still, if Labour poo poo the bed hard enough, there's potential for a leadership challenge to follow. Keith isn't well-liked among Labour MPs - I get the feeling he's tolerated more than anything.
Which isn't to say that someone decent will get enough support to run against Keith, but I do believe there are enough decent MPs still inside Labour that Wes Streeting wouldn't get a clear run at the leadership.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

The idea of establishing 'reception centres' in third countries, was first suggested by Tony Blair in 2003, his ilk now control the party.

Starmer has a pretty lengthy record of saying one thing and doing another. So you can't really put any stock in what he's saying.

And even if he was honest about his intentions he's got no stomach to fight the media so he's 2 bad headlines away from doing a 180 on his position anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

The tories are ready to go full culture war over every little thing and so don't mind bulldozing in holocaust level policies
But with third party plausible deniability, which in a way makes it more sickening.

They started by signaling for an aquatic Babi Yar via autocannon at the hands of HMCG but that got shut down quickly, so now they're straight to mass resettlement to overseas camps where they reasonably know that the guards will rob people naked and dump them in the Nyungwe to fend for themselves. But nobody in the UK directly instructed those guards to do that so I guess on paper it's fine. gently caress.

JoylessJester posted:

The idea of establishing 'reception centres' in third countries, was first suggested by Tony Blair in 2003, his ilk now control the party.
Blair was also behind the idea that nobody can work until their asylum claim has been processed, which I'm certain has been a direct driver of this whole idea of 'real refugees' vs. 'economic migrants' where someone wanting to work is a negative point that gets them cast out. Even the BNP claimed to believe that wanting to work was a positive point, and while I don't trust where they'd go with that for a second that doesn't excuse Tonty moving to outflank them on the right.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
imagining a country not based around punishment, cruelty, and a gleeful refusal of the slightest amount of empathy for anyone remotely different to you in any way

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sorry, we spent all the imagining money on outsourcing atrocities so all we can afford is Seth MacFarlane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwOf11Y5Iks

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

WhatEvil posted:

I get what somebody was saying earlier about "We should object to this because it's fascism, not because it's expensive" but also:

https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1514493348643581954?s=20&t=eEuwBU9xmuC6sN5dOVSV4g

I agree with this.

Like it would literally be cheaper just to build a house for each person that comes to the UK and house them in it and give them free IKEA furniture and a flatscreen TV and all the other shite that people already seem to believe happens when refugees are let in, than it will be to send them to Rwanda.

The cost will probably be labeled as an international development expense and deducted from foreign aid budget. in those same people's minds, it's a budget neutral reform

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

Which isn't to say that someone decent will get enough support to run against Keith, but I do believe there are enough decent MPs still inside Labour that Wes Streeting wouldn't get a clear run at the leadership.
I would love to see McDonnell beat Streeting* because in the leadup it'd all be about how McDonnell is too close to Corbyn, and when he won it would be funny to watch everyone panic and have to invent a new reason that disassociated his popularity with the Corbyn project.

* Bare fisted in a carpark in minecraft

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

I agree with this.

You'll end up arguing for a more cost effective Concentration camp with this line of thinking. Don't abandon morality for this dry shite.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/lucyallan/status/1514701465994027022
Yeah, The Left™, knock it off! :argh:

Weirdly, this person's twatter profile doesn't mention her party.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

In other news, our landlord has decided to chuck us out, "us" including a 6 month old baby, notionally because there's a bunch of work that needs doing but very clearly actually because she thinks she can jack the rent up a lot more.

Just lmao if she thinks we're gonna make this easy for her, she's already too late to serve valid notice in time for the end of the fixed term. We're gonna move out in our own time, really dragging our heels dealing with the agent & making her sweat that we'll just refuse to leave (& good luck persuading a court to make a baby homeless, even after the ridiculous delays getting in front of a judge in the first place), then serve our own notice at the last possible second when we've got a new place. & then sue her for not doing the maintenance in the first loving place, well over a year ago now.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Borrovan posted:

We're gonna move out in our own time [...] then sue her for not doing the maintenance in the first loving place, well over a year ago now.

This'll be very satisfying, just keep your nerve as you execute the plan, and enjoy the process. You're in the right, but landlording is immoral so you'd be in the right anyway.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Civil unrest will be exciting utterly horrifying with all the unrecorded ATGMs and man portable heavy weapons currently being dumped into Ukraine.

It's all rocks and molotovs until someone pulls out a Javelin and bullseyes Lord Nelson.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

JoylessJester posted:

Starmer has a pretty lengthy record of saying one thing and doing another. So you can't really put any stock in what he's saying.

And even if he was honest about his intentions he's got no stomach to fight the media so he's 2 bad headlines away from doing a 180 on his position anyway.

Got a receipt for that?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

sebzilla posted:

Got a receipt for that?

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/local-news/blair-call-asylum-zones-3848294

quote:

Prime Minister Tony Blair was seeking European Union backing today to set up "zones of protection" to vet asylum seekers before they enter Europe.

Under the proposal, to be discussed by EU leaders at their summit in Greece, which starts tonight, special reception centres would be set up near the countries from which the majority of refugees flee to Europe, particularly in Africa.

The idea is endorsed by the United Nations High Commission on Refugees and Mr Blair wants fellow EU leaders to agree to a trial scheme.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Jeherrin posted:

MUH HATING BILLS

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not even sure if this is some post-post-punk level irony or not.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I only just found out that the refugee plan is actually worse than it's been sold to people. Essentially everyone arriving by boat is to be shipped to Rwanda for 'processing'. If they do have a successful asylum claim then they can only make it in Rwanda, christ knows what happens if their claim is unsuccessful? Perhaps those people could be sold on to the slavers in Eritrea for a bonus profit.

Absolutely no details on who is sent. Just young men? Are families being broken up or shipped out wholesale? Rwanda is also not a safe country for LGBT people so good luck if your asylum claim is based on persecution for your sexuality. It's absolutely abhorrent.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
On the other hand the UK had to accept 100% of asylum claims from Rwanda, so maybe there's a loophole in "some cunts sent me to Rwanda" that will help people get asylum granted.

The whole thing is just such a blatant shower of shite.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

In fairness to the demon Blair and the EU that idea was to set up centres where people could go and apply for asylum in the first place without resorting to people traffickers to smuggle them in and not to ship off people who have already arrived here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
How many Christian Democrats in the late 30s do you think were saying "Shipping them to Madagascar is impractical and expensive"?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

You'll end up arguing for a more cost effective Concentration camp with this line of thinking. Don't abandon morality for this dry shite.

This was, in fact, exactly what happened when the Australian opposition tried advancing this line of argument!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
loving useless lib cunts

https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1514881128028590080?t=NA2uBMWBK9CMOe2zzNGIlA

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How many Christian Democrats in the late 30s do you think were saying "Shipping them to Madagascar is impractical and expensive"?

Back then they would have simply invoiced the displaced, making the project zero cost.

I mean they're Jews right so they'd have plenty of money to pay for it

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

keep punching joe posted:

Are families being broken up or shipped out wholesale?

I saw some confirmation that children and if accompanied then their parent(s?) wouldn't be sent to Rwanda, but anyone else is fair game.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I can't help but feel this is gonna be u-turned and its all a way to distract from party gate.

But that might be just my wishful thinking.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best case scenario is that it gets u-turned after £20bn has been sent to a limited company called 'Rwanda' registered in Ashford 3 months ago.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

The best case scenario is that it gets u-turned after £20bn has been sent to a limited company called 'Rwanda' registered in Ashford 3 months ago.

Special Capabilities in African Migration (Limited).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mega Comrade posted:

I can't help but feel this is gonna be u-turned and its all a way to distract from party gate.

But that might be just my wishful thinking.

It's reliant on the Borders Act going through parliament at the moment, and even then it's likely to get snarled up in the courts for a long time the second someone tries to deport someone.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Has anyone read the leadership book "leaders eat last"? I've been given it to read for work and I'm really struggling to get through it. The first chapter goes on about how awesome the Marines are... the second chapter has an anecdotal story about gunning down the taliban with an A-10 in Afghanistan.

Is this just to get lovely chuddy managers to read it? I'm told it gets better and I mean the third chapter is "Employees are people too!" but it's like... fucksake. I've just finished a podcast on Henry Kissinger and Nixon and all the poo poo they got up to over the years and I really can't stomach any "hoorah America" right now.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mebh posted:

Has anyone read the leadership book "leaders eat last"? I've been given it to read for work and I'm really struggling to get through it. The first chapter goes on about how awesome the Marines are... the second chapter has an anecdotal story about gunning down the taliban with an A-10 in Afghanistan.

Is this just to get lovely chuddy managers to read it? I'm told it gets better and I mean the third chapter is "Employees are people too!" but it's like... fucksake. I've just finished a podcast on Henry Kissinger and Nixon and all the poo poo they got up to over the years and I really can't stomach any "hoorah America" right now.

That sounds rancid, why are you reading it?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Mebh posted:

Is the title drawing a comparison between middle managers and the supposed behaviour of wolves/lions/some other romanticised apex predator? If so you could already tell it was bullshit right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Managerial books are, by and large, written to sell themselves, not to provide useful information.

I do wish there was more of a guide to a lot of things in life but, much like diet books and exercise books, there seems to be a large amount of chaff around interpersonal skills books.