Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Square recently talked about their roadmap for FFXIV and it's a ten year plan, they aren't dropping that to maintenance mode. Who knows with Blizzard and WoW given the Microsoft acquisition.

There will be successes like Lost Ark but the market is going to be more fragmented than in the peak of WoW and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Didn’t the director or some other higher up with Final Fantasy recently say he wanted their MMO to be accessible in terms of *not* being a daily grind, peoples’ time was limited and he wanted them to be able to enjoy it in short bursts, or as something they could play all at once if they did have a chunk of time to play then could put the game aside until the next expansion? And his opinion was MMOs need to take that direction in the future or the genre was not going to survive?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Didn’t the director or some other higher up with Final Fantasy recently say he wanted their MMO to be accessible in terms of *not* being a daily grind, peoples’ time was limited and he wanted them to be able to enjoy it in short bursts, or as something they could play all at once if they did have a chunk of time to play then could put the game aside until the next expansion? And his opinion was MMOs need to take that direction in the future or the genre was not going to survive?

Yoshida the producer/game director, yeah. And he's had that design in place for years and actively encourages folks to take breaks between content dumps.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The man is on record practically pleading with people that if they're not having fun, they can unsub and come back to it when the next big content update happens. MMOs would be a lot better as a whole if more of the lead devs were like Yoship.

It helps that Square-Enix reorganized not long ago, and the XIV team is their own whole division. They do nothing but work on XIV, and Yoship is lead of that division; he gets the final say on what happens.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 4, 2022

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Tortolia posted:

Yoshida the producer/game director, yeah. And he's had that design in place for years and actively encourages folks to take breaks between content dumps.

Shouldn't have wiped my house during one of those breaks then :(

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Draynar posted:

Shouldn't have wiped my house during one of those breaks then :(

This is why they encourage it, the nonstop housing shortage :v:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Hah, "house". Friend, I've somehow managed to get 4 wiped over the course of the years.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

It's easy enough to take that position when you're on top, but I've worked with a couple people who used to work at turbine and they're irrationally terrified about completely normal gameplay decisions, because they have PTSD from "a bunch of people stopped playing between content drops and then the game went into a death spiral because every person who quit made it marginally more difficult to find people to play with, leading more people to quit".

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Good news everyone! Some episode 2 content is about to be released!

quote:

This will be a new scene in Release 100 and a scene for Episode 2 Access holders. This medium-sized village features Kobolds in a coastal setting. Low-to-medium threats may be encountered toward the edge of this scene.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol they started episode 2 years ago, but to be fair they failed to get funding for it.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

yoloer420 posted:

Good news everyone! Some episode 2 content is about to be released!

Episode 2 Access holders?

What is that? Is that a subscriber or something?

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 10, 2022

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Well, when you fail, go blockchain: https://massivelyop.com/2022/04/12/richard-garriott-is-building-a-blockchain-mmo-following-the-failure-of-shroud-of-the-avatar/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Feels like he's just coasting on 20+ year old nostalgia at this point.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

The time to do that was a year ago when Reddit was drunk on GameStop money

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

quote:

We note here for the record that we were offered a chance to interview Garriott about this new game, but we were told we could not ask about the many outstanding issues and irregularities revolving around Shroud of the Avatar, which are obviously critical when it comes to the credibility of any new Garriott project, so we declined to participate.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Lol what a douchebag. Good for massivelyop for turning him down

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rexxed posted:

Feels like he's just coasting on 20+ year old nostalgia at this point.

That point was 20 years ago.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Apparently Chris Spears is also in on this which is the biggest LOL

https://mobile.twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1513981875890577418

Sure, the last time you gave us millions and bought blood and hair virtual real estate it didn't work out but THIS TIME! We will build an amazing game!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The time to do that was a year ago when Reddit was drunk on GameStop money

There is still a *ton* of profoundly stupid money flooding into the hands of anyone who says the words "blockchain", "NFT" and "play to earn" in a sentence.

Case in point, uh, this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Remember Ultima Online?

*proceeds to throw thousands of dollars at NFTs

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
But really what is with all these NFT games touting it's a way to "be financially involved with the game". I don't want to be financially involved with my video games beyond a one time purchase, I'm not here trying to earn money I just want to play something fun.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Popete posted:

But really what is with all these NFT games touting it's a way to "be financially involved with the game". I don't want to be financially involved with my video games beyond a one time purchase, I'm not here trying to earn money I just want to play something fun.
Look at this loser, playing games at a loss.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
If you're not returning 22.00% yearly on your MMO investments, what are you even doing with your life?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

what a piece of poo poo Long live the king!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hahaha I love how Massively trashes him.

quote:

For those not aware, Shroud of the Avatar is a Richard Garriott-helmed MMORPG that was heavily funded by gamers by way of a 2013 Kickstarter, weird crowdfunding stunts, frequent donation telethons, whaling packages, and an $800K equity crowdfunding investment round, during which Portalarium claimed a valuation of $25M. However, the game was mired by controversy, layoffs, delays, design issues, and ultimately a tiny playerbase. Garriott himself stepped down, the new CEO denied taking over, Portalarium shuttered its office, and then it abruptly folded outright and transferred SOTA to a newly formed indie studio. Through it all, company reps stonewalled and insulted press and dodged legally required SEC filings and accountability to SeedInvest investors as recently as this very year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

And of Course Richard Garriot confirms that he is the fraud that I always thought he was.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MassivelyOP: Stop giving rich people money to make failed MMOs

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ha! Great read. Idiots will still fund it though.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I have no idea who his target audience is. With SotA, his gameplan was clear: make a game as cheaply as possible, then use 35 years of accumulated goodwill to milk the whales dry. Except that all these whales are now sitting in their $5000 virtual castles which are being admired by absolutely no one.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Everyone, please remember how awesome Ultima Online was. Ring a bell? Good. Now, be prepared to donate anywhere from $300-$100,000 (or more!) for this crypto-NFT-blockchain-playtoearn project that Lord British Himself is working on. That's right, Lord Motherfucking British. I don't see how this could be bad.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I'm honestly not sure what the target audience is. This is the parent company to Garriott's new venture:

https://deverse.dehorizon.fun/

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

The funniest thing about this to me is you can still spend $500 on a house in Ultima Online if you really want. Seems like a better “investment” to me lol.

Dementropy posted:

I'm honestly not sure what the target audience is. This is the parent company to Garriott's new venture:

Wow, nice website! Can’t wait to give them all the money

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 15, 2022

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dementropy posted:

I'm honestly not sure what the target audience is.

The audience for pretty much every entry on this website.

https://web3isgoinggreat.com/

As I said, there is a *lot* of money right now going to anyone who can stream the words "blockchain", "NFT" and "play to earn" in a sentence convincingly. SXSW Interactive this year was full of blockchain play-to-earn project announcements and they were all lavishly funded.

The target audience is not PC/MMO gamers, at all. It's the same audience this is pitched at (a blockchain/NFT launch that also picked up a couple of game designers, this time from the tabletop RPG community, as window dressing)

https://gizmodo.com/dungeons-dragons-nft-gripnr-blockchain-dnd-ttrpg-1848686984

I personally get so many job offers from fly-by-night NFT/P2E projects doing cold calls from LinkedIn desperate for anyone with game development experience that I edited my profile to say "not interested in cryptocurrency/NFT/P2E projects, ever." It's helped reduce the barrage a bit!

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 15, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dementropy posted:

I love my MMO webpages to have an "Economics" link that goes to a bunch of completely incomprehensible graphs. That's how I know I'm in for a fun, player-focused game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shroud of the Avatar was NFTs before NFTs. It came out at that time where games in development/crowdfunding just had to do FOMO poo poo (limited quantities, sales stopping upon release, etc.) on transferrable digital goods and they'd sell out to people who didn't care about the game and just hoped they could resell it for a profit later.

I haven't really seen that stuff lately, I guess because the market evolved and actual NFT-based games are the hot poo poo now.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
de horizon dot fun

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Man, if I wasn't lazy and if I had no ethics it seems like it'd be *really* easy to make a million bucks or so from morons who want to own tokens that point to a .png

EDIT: I still feel like I'm missing something when it comes to understanding NFTs but I'm not and it really is exactly as stupid as I think it is.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

FrostyPox posted:

I'm not and it really is exactly as stupid as I think it is.
this is the key insight.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I think that now there's too many concurrent scams competing over the same 10-20 thousand marks so it would probably be hard to get in now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
This is f2p now? I am installing it. I hate you guys.