Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
2x3 I think isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lawman 0 posted:

Hey what's the maximum reasonable embark size assuming I have dfhack tweaks and cleanup enabled?

depends heavily on your CPU and to a lesser degree on amount and clock speed of your RAM

and also what you consider to be an acceptable FPS. and whether you're willing to reduce your population. the main drag on FPS is pathfinding, which is (oversimplifying) basically the product of multiplying how many creatures are trying to find places to go with how much space there is and how many potential destinations (jobs, items, resources, enemies, etc.) there are for them to try to reach

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 12, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Prop Wash posted:

I haven’t played some of the later mega man games but I don’t remember Dr Wily ever making a robot master made of superheated vomit that evaporates the second mega man comes through the door.

Honestly not too far from what he gets up to in some fan romhacks.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
2x3 embark with dorf cap around 120 lets you play a decade or so at least on my computer. World size and history Also count, usually mine is smaller than medium and less then 400 years of history.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Lawman 0 posted:

Hey what's the maximum reasonable embark size assuming I have dfhack tweaks and cleanup enabled?

I've got a 3600X and lots of ram and I have no issues with a 5x5 as long as I keep the splatter and entity count reasonable.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Tarn and Zach will be streaming on Twitch. Friday at 2pm Eastern.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Six ages has an unfortunate logo, that knife looks enough like a letter to read like Sixflags

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Tunicate posted:

Six ages has an unfortunate logo, that knife looks enough like a letter to read like Sixflags

Six Fages, a game about eaters.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Six Rages, a game about a 17th level 5e Barbarian

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sixiages are just another one of them plant based meats trying to encroach on pig's breakfast territory

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I cannot believe you're all focused on that and not Boyfriend Dungeon

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Boyfriend Dungeon is a good time, I made out with a dagger.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

KillHour posted:

I cannot believe you're all focused on that and not Boyfriend Dungeon

That's the only one I've heard of besides DF!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Six Ages is the sort-of-sequel to King of Dragon Pass, made by the same people. If you ever played KoDP and liked it, you should give Six Ages a try. If you never played KoDP, go find a copy (it's ancient and not expensive) and play it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
King of Dragon Pass is also available digitally now, too. Seconding trying both games though; they're very unique and are specifically very influential to the narrative designer sphere of video game devs, where many of them accidentally just remake the ideas put forth in King of Dragon Pass again.

They're both the same style of game where you're basically doing clan management of either Orlanthi (KoDP) or Hyalorings (Six Ages) from the Glorantha fantasy setting, and they generate very interesting stories about how your clan is doing.

You will always need more cows.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KoDP is free on indiegala right now

https://freebies.indiegala.com/king-of-dragon-pass

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 16, 2022

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

which one is the one with the duck people, and does DF have duckmen yet

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Appoda posted:

which one is the one with the duck people, and does DF have duckmen yet

That'd be Dragon Pass.

They hunt vampires.

e:

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 16, 2022

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Mystic Mongol posted:

That'd be Dragon Pass.

They hunt vampires.

They hunt ALL undead.

Necromancers in the marsh? Ducks ritually worship death to turn into berserker warriors and hunt down every last walking corpse.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Many Durulz are Swords of Humakt, the god of death

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rule of thumb: Don't gently caress with a duck.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Someone please remind me, has there been any fix for dwarves getting PTSD and inevitably doom spiraling a fort? I've been itching for a DF-like for a while, but having to exile dwarves when they first start getting unhappy is so off-putting that it's forcing me to consider pale imitators, like Gnomoria and similar, and they just do not compare.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
you could probably force them to be happy with dfhack

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Df hack has a fortress wide bad thoughts purger iirc which you can do like every other year if you need to.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When will dwarf mental health services be properly implemented to combat the crippling effects of dwarf trauma

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The Mayor is the only therapist the fortress needs. Okay, maybe the Hammerer, too.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
My name is
DONALD DUCK
AND I LIKE TO gently caress
gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress
DONALD DUCK!

So, when is the tabs thing in legends available? Now? Because I mostly play in legends mode and that would be a huge quality of life increase.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Didn't Tarn write in one of the more recent dev logs that he was working on re-tuning the effect of bad memories and so on, specifically to prevent the guaranteed fortress-wide descent into depression and PTSD?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Vitruvian Manic posted:

So, when is the tabs thing in legends available? Now? Because I mostly play in legends mode and that would be a huge quality of life increase.

It will be in the Steam version when that releases. Which might be this year if we're lucky!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Legends Viewer in the LNP is pretty great for now, at least.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
What's a reliable way to get a lot of artifacts from a site? Got a ruin that has like 40 rumored artifacts, even if it's just books, in it and even sending twelve troops over only nets me like three a time.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

nielsm posted:

Didn't Tarn write in one of the more recent dev logs that he was working on re-tuning the effect of bad memories and so on, specifically to prevent the guaranteed fortress-wide descent into depression and PTSD?

I hope so. I lost a fort once because I had a necromancer in my population that gave the entire population traumatic memories by animating random severed limbs all over the map.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I’d leave too.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah I think its being modelled properly it’s our expectations that need fixing

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

quote:

The main thing we've accomplished this month is the completion of the world/'c' screen in fort mode. The information and function is about the same as before, but now it all happens over the world map with some overlays, much like fort mode itself, rather than having modes like the civization list that happen in isolation. The mission/tribute/spoils reports are also incorporated into this world map view rather than being accessed from the main dwarf screen like they used to be. Zach has been running raids and kicking out dwarves and requesting them with messengers and so forth - we'll continue to get various weird behaviors and frustrations cleaned up as we go.

I've also finished up the name creator and am halfway through the image creator. The name creator is similar to its text-based counterpart, with a new ability to randomize parts of names. Alllmost out of stage 1 of the roadmap we posted earlier this year. There's still the hauling stuff to do, and lots of little missing submenus (for instance, pressure plate weight selection), but we'll find them all!

The stress changes we've made over the year are also panning out really well. You may have noticed the spread of various happiness levels in some of the images of Zach's forts. I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but the old immediate happiness levels are somewhat back, but they are linked to the newer long-term stress levels instead of being replaced by them. So dwarves can now be genuinely miserable in the short-term without being lost causes - it still takes some years of ongoing misery to make them fall apart, but it's easier to spot and correct now. Only the reddest dwarves can be lost. Midlevel yellow/orange dwarves can sink to the state of occasional tantrums but will never go berserk/etc. unless things get even worse. We'll keep messing with it, but with the civil war bugs also fixed (as far as I can tell!), it does feel like we've turned a corner on this stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

If they actually fix the long-persistent problems with this game beyond just the graphics. . . .

wow.

Have they said whether or not the new version will allow multi-threaded processing / pathfinding calculation fixes?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That's not a fix that's a core engine redesign.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Animal People Sprites

https://steamcommunity.com/app/975370/eventcomments/3269060419612692243/

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Big fan of that turtle person sprite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009