Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I keep thinking about how the Ukrainians on Snake Island who told the Moskva to go gently caress itself were reported to have died, but are actually alive, and Moskva and at least some of its crew are now dead.

Seems emblematic of this entire clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Generation Internet posted:

I keep thinking about how the Ukrainians on Snake Island who told the Moskva to go gently caress itself were reported to have died, but are actually alive, and Moskva and at least some of its crew are now dead.

If the Russians are to be believed then at least the crew took those orders to heart.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Generation Internet posted:

tu fui ego eris; what i was, you will be

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My dad got to tour Moskva's sistership Marshal Ustinov when she visited Norfolk in '89 and he was a junior office at CINCLANT. His comment to me tonight was that she was a "piece of crap."

I've probably told this in GIP before, but:

the second big Soviet ship visit was in 1990 to San Diego, and I got to go on the ships. Dad was a CW04 and knew some folks, got us two tickets, I had dreams of trading a Top Gun cap or something for a piece of Soviet Navy uniform but I realized quickly that their barter system was way too rich for my 15 year old rear end.

Anyway, they were the destroyers Adm. Vinogradov (still technically in service) and Boyevoy (much older, now scrap), and an oiler. My father was speechless at the poor quality of everything on board; welds, line-handling, etc. We left early, I thought he was mad, but he was actually excited- we went three berths over to where his ship was (I can't remember if it was the Acadia or the Cape Cod, he did tours on both around the same time and they were the same class). He told everyone in the repair division to knock off from work and head over to the Soviet ships (the tickets had been originally treated like they were some VIP thing, but nobody even bothered taking our tickets so anyone who wanted to try could get on board). He told them their assignment for the rest of the day was to crawl over every bit of those ships they could and inspect the handiwork.

All the sailors onboard apparently spent the whole next week at work laughing and comparing notes about the terrible welds, fits, and monkeyshit (sealant) that was every where on board. It was a huge morale boost to the ship.

My sharpest memory is wondering exactly how in the gently caress the radar set (or at least the CRT monitor part of it) on a Soviet destroyer was made by Magnavox.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Taerkar posted:

Well there was also Warspite going ham on a bunch of KM destroyers. The whole operation was a big clusterfuck for both navies to different extents.

Lol oh nice I think I read a misguided theory that losing ten destroyers pushed the needle against Sealion as without those it had no hope of success

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was eight when that happened and remember their monitored trip to Lynnhaven Mall. They went fuckin' *apeshit* for Chick-Fil-A because they gave out free samples in those days.

I remember reading about Soviet dignitaries visiting a supermarket and getting annoyed at the obvious Potemkin village that had plenty of premium meat anyone could buy, variety of brands, and the large parking lot indicating vehicle ownership was common.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I remember reading about Soviet dignitaries visiting a supermarket and getting annoyed at the obvious Potemkin village that had plenty of premium meat anyone could buy, variety of brands, and the large parking lot indicating vehicle ownership was common.

IIRC Yeltsin himself said he knew that :ussr: had lost the Cold War when he realized the supermarket he visited wasn't a setup and the average American really could choose from five or six different kinds of frozen vegetables.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mozi posted:

A Turkish ship was reported as picking up 50+...

Are civilian vessels obligated to pick up combatants during war?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

psydude posted:

I’m not 100% on this, but I think under international maritime law- Yeah, they are. Could be wrong though, I was an Airman, not a Seaman.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The Wikipedia app for iOS and Android is pretty good. Check it out- it’s free, and there are no ads.

Thanks!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

If you press the Tt button at the bottom you can change it to a black background with white text so you can do like I do and read random rear end Wikipedia articles in bed without disturbing your wife who makes way more money than you. (Ok, that last bit was about me, but the dark mode is a nice feature.)

Are you an apple or Android man? I’m apple myself, bought into the ecosystem with the first iPhone, haven’t looked back since. Had a government owned Android phone for official duties there for a while- it was ok, I just really like the way iOS and iPhones “just work” ya know?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

IIRC Yeltsin himself said he knew that :ussr: had lost the Cold War when he realized the supermarket he visited wasn't a setup and the average American really could choose from five or six different kinds of frozen vegetables.

Weirdly enough, that was the exact grocery store my family would shop at then. We had moved nearby just a few months prior (obviously we were not there the day Yeltsin visited).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PookBear posted:

iirc Ireland had a lot of british pilots prisoner during ww2 because they were too dumb to figure out which island they were from

edit: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-13924720

"Spitfire down: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed"

Bud himself was from Nebraska, one of a number of Americans who had volunteered to take up Britain's cause. Since the US was not yet at war with Germany when the men volunteered, the American government stripped Wolfe and others of their citizenship. These pilots were a mix of idealists and thrill seekers.

im curious did they re-instate it?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

psydude posted:

It’s not a law-law, depending on jurisdictions and such, but generally you have a duty to do everything you can to assist unless you’re putting yourself in danger.

That being said merchant ships are woefully ill equipped to rescue people from the water.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol oh nice I think I read a misguided theory that losing ten destroyers pushed the needle against Sealion as without those it had no hope of success

Sealion had no hope of success.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Murgos posted:

Sealion had no hope of success.

Yeah, it's one of those things where it's totally understandable that at the time the British were convinced it was imminent and that it could work, but we now know it had zero chance (having half the German Navy underwater or under repair after the Norwegian campaign was just one of the reasons).

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
All the Rhine barges would've sunk in even the most calm seas.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FrozenVent posted:

It’s not a law-law, depending on jurisdictions and such, but generally you have a duty to do everything you can to assist unless you’re putting yourself in danger.

That being said merchant ships are woefully ill equipped to rescue people from the water.

Also the whole thing about Russian warships shooting at neutral shipping.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Also the whole thing about Russian warships shooting at neutral shipping.

Yeah that's kind of the angle I was getting at...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

Bud himself was from Nebraska, one of a number of Americans who had volunteered to take up Britain's cause. Since the US was not yet at war with Germany when the men volunteered, the American government stripped Wolfe and others of their citizenship. These pilots were a mix of idealists and thrill seekers.

Well I know after a case in the 1950s involving Americans fighting for Israel, a USC case said, they couldn’t do that. No clue if they got it back though in this case.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ukraine is claiming the captain of the Moskva was killed in the strike.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08a3f8f35eba9d

Which is completely false, because as we all know the crew safely abandoned ship before putting out the fire themselves.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was wondering (based on the topic of training Ukrainians in the US) what people here, who have done cross training, felt the best nations were and who were the worst?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Alan Smithee posted:

Later in the article it states that he was released by Ireland in 1943 and ended up flying missions for the USAAF, so yeah, it was reinstated.

IIRC, it was mostly done when the US was neutral as a way to avoid any awkward "So your citizens are actively fighting against us, and yet you're neutral. Curious!" conversations with Germany since the US was practicing armed neutrality and FDR was trying to avoid giving the isolationists ammo against him. Once war was declared, that pretty much flew out the window and most if not all American's who had their citizenships revoked because they took up arms with the British against Nazi Germany had their citizenship returned to them.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 15, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I was wondering (based on the topic of training Ukrainians in the US) what people here, who have done cross training, felt the best nations were and who were the worst?

JMSDF ships I encountered were immaculate. I cannot say to how the lives of the sailors compare, but their equipment was in drat good shape and everything was clean af.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/04/15/ukraine-facial-recognition-warfare/

Seems not tight!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

JMSDF ships I encountered were immaculate. I cannot say to how the lives of the sailors compare, but their equipment was in drat good shape and everything was clean af.

Yeah same with JGSDF. Man for man they were disciplined and well trained. Their equipment wasn’t as good as ours but they were very professional.

Australian Army was pretty effective too. They struggle to break down into small units like we do though. Their platoon and squad structure didn’t support breaking down to the fireteam level which led to some differences in how we conducted training.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 15, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If the Russians won’t do it, they’re the next in line (more or less).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hekk posted:

Yeah same with JGSDF. Man for man they were disciplined and well trained. Their equipment wasn’t as good as ours but they were very professional.

Interesting, I have definitely heard the gear being in good and clean condition, apparently the flight crews were horrified when a US F4 had to land and the use pilot was kicking something to fix it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

psydude posted:

Ukraine is claiming the captain of the Moskva was killed in the strike.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08a3f8f35eba9d

Which is completely false, because as we all know the crew safely abandoned ship before putting out the fire themselves.

Before sinking in a storm which is justification for declaring war against Ukraine.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Poles are legit af and Estonians punch way above their weight.

Saudis are not great.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Interesting, I have definitely heard the gear being in good and clean condition, apparently the flight crews were horrified when a US F4 had to land and the use pilot was kicking something to fix it.

Their equipment was in great condition. It just wasn’t as good as what were were using. Their combat rubber raiding craft (CRRC) equivalent (think they were using Zodiacs) didn’t have the range or speed as our boats so we had to adjust timelines to accommodate decreased range and longer movement time for raids.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Every Bulgarian I met in uniform were giant jacked motherfucker who just angrily lift weights at all hours.

No way they test for steroids, because the one PKM gunner who looked like he could flip a Passat was juiced as hell.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The best I ever worked with were the Aussies, the Brits, and the Thais. Koreans and the Norwegians were very good. Worst? Probably Zaire (I was part of a Mobile Training Team). They were absolute poo poo.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The Brits were always professional, same with they Aussies.

Bulgaria was already mentioned, I would add Moldova, Lithuania, and Estonia to that list. I've found that many from eastern Europe seem to want to "prove" themselves. As a result, I believe they either only sending their best of the best or they are taking training very seriously.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol you think Russia is going to do anything about it?
Rubles to borscht they gonna declare MIA/joined Ukraine to avoid paying out death benefits.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Oh poo poo.
Moldovan EOD were loving terrifying. They knew one formula- "P=Plenty". They once blew up 40lbs of C4 in a ditch so they didn't have to return it.

They launched a ZU-23 barrel over 500 meters like a loving spear.

Also, not so good at English. Or radios.
Really good at using lots of explosives.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

They once blew up 40lbs of C4 in a ditch so they didn't have to return it.

Can you blame them?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bulletsponge13 posted:

Oh poo poo.
Moldovan EOD were loving terrifying. They knew one formula- "P=Plenty". They once blew up 40lbs of C4 in a ditch so they didn't have to return it.

lmao this rules

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bulletsponge13 posted:

Oh poo poo.
Moldovan EOD were loving terrifying. They knew one formula- "P=Plenty". They once blew up 40lbs of C4 in a ditch so they didn’t have to return it.

I see the benefits of cross training with America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I loved working with them, because it was always cheap entertainment.

"How long until detonation?"
"Eh?"
"How long until det?"
"30."
::17 seconds later::
---Fla-Boom---
"Good." Lights cheap cigarette, walks away.

All of us sitting there, getting pelted with debris from random thing they decided to blow up. As they do the 'Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions' thing.

My TC, a straight laced MP on IRR recall, loving hated them.