Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Did… did Disney buy Billie Eilish? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ASL is more closely related to French sign language than to British sign language ergo deaf Americans are basically French.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

I know it's been said many times, but it's still crazy just how much The Simpson became exactly the type of thing it used to defiantly mock.

porfiria posted:

The Simpsons.

:hmmyes:

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I know it's been said many times, but it's still crazy just how much The Simpson became exactly the type of thing it used to defiantly mock.

that's what happens when you fly on the lolita express

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

BasicLich posted:

that's what happens when you fly on the lolita express

The Lil’ Lisa Express

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
ralph wiggum voice: "my choo choo choose you's breath smells like billionaire cum"

e: saxomophone cum valve

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 15, 2022

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Simpsons' Golden Age ended 4 years before Billie Eilish was even born.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lisa Simpson has canonically met a ton of musicians that Billie Eilish is too young to know, like Cyndi Lauper, The Ramones, and Lady Gaga.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

This shot looks like dogshit, I mean look at it. Lisa is three, maybe four colors if you count black and flat textures while everything around her is overdesigned and overtextured, she stands out so bad, like a cartoon character photoshopped into a real photo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

This shot looks like dogshit, I mean look at it. Lisa is three, maybe four colors if you count black and flat textures while everything around her is overdesigned and overtextured, she stands out so bad, like a cartoon character photoshopped into a real photo

The artist was tweeting his designs during the episode.

https://twitter.com/trichner/status/1513308849113083911

Seems to me like he wanted Lisa to stand out a bit. Like the guy has a life well-lived and you can see all the artifacts of it in his overdesigned house. The point of the episode being that she shouldn't be butting in where she isn't wanted or needed.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I didn't realize Liza Minnelli's name is Billie!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I mean I know Billie Eilish has been the new hotness for a couple years, but I remember when celebrity guests were people that would be recognized beyond "oh, I remember her" in 5 years.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean I know Billie Eilish has been the new hotness for a couple years, but I remember when celebrity guests were people that would be recognized beyond "oh, I remember her" in 5 years.

Personally I hate all the musician cameos, like Paul Mccartney vegan episode, I think red hot chilli pepers at some point, madona. They were all terrible. The best ones were when musicians just gave songs for the cast, like the Michael Jackson episode.

The only good cameos were again from the season 2-9 with like Nimoy in the monorail episode. Things like that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I dunno, I liked George Harrison showing up briefly in the B Sharps episode. That was long before the Simpsons started with a guest and built an entire episode around "Look - it's Elon Musk!".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Personally I hate all the musician cameos, like Paul Mccartney vegan episode, I think red hot chilli pepers at some point, madona. They were all terrible. The best ones were when musicians just gave songs for the cast, like the Michael Jackson episode.

The only good cameos were again from the season 2-9 with like Nimoy in the monorail episode. Things like that.

Eh, I meant celebrities in general, but that's fair enough.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I dunno, I liked George Harrison showing up briefly in the B Sharps episode. That was long before the Simpsons started with a guest and built an entire episode around "Look - it's Elon Musk!".

:yeah:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

The scales are all wrong. The guy is too large for that chair, looks like hes floating not sitting on it, and if he stood up his head would be up to the top of the window.
The hat on the wall on the left is closer to the camera than the guy, but its still too small for the guy.
The table between them looks like it is floating. The bottom of it is touching the wall, but it gets bigger as you go up, so the far side of it should be clipping into the wall itself.
They forgot to trace the wall bits inbetween the table spaces

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Homer at the Bat did an amazing cameo epsidoe with all the baseball players.But the players weren't the focus/protagonists and it didn't centre around them.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Also most of them met hilarious and untimely ends.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sideburns!!!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers were great. They came in, had a few jokes, and left.

What makes for a good celebrity cameo is that it feels justified by the show, they have a bit of fun, and they don't celebrate them too much.

The baseball episode worked because you got all these absurd situations, like Steve Sax being charged with every unsolved murder in NYC. Stuff like that which poked fun at things and had a bit of an edge.

Versus later seasons, in which it was "hey, it's you! What are you doing in Springfield!"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

None of this is true, they're all lies but they're entertaining lies and in the end isn't that the real truth? The answer is no.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The first big "look at all these celebrities!" episode I can think of is the one with the Krusty Comeback special, which was a good episode, but did have elements of that whole "celerity worship" problem that would take over in later seasons. Then again, getting Johnny Carson was a pretty big deal at the time.

Also, lol at this (from the Wiki article on the episode):

Wikipedia posted:

Voice actors Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer both strongly objected to the celebrity cameos in the episode, considering it tasteless, which led to Kavner boycotting it entirely; as a result, this is the only episode of the series to date in which Marge does not have any speaking parts.

I guess their position on that changed over the last 30 years.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Ringo Starr the first "as himself" cameo?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PostNouveau posted:

Wasn't Ringo Starr the first "as himself" cameo?

Tony Bennett also, singing "Capitol City" in...I want to say the second season? Those were both good cameos as far as I'm concerned.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tom Jones was fun in Marge gets a Job

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'd say that Paul McCartney's appearance was the first one that felt like the show was fawning over the guest star the way most of the post-classic appearances do.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Was the hullabapalooza episode before that? That was also nothing but fawning

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Krusty gets Kanceled was full of fawning but at least it had funny jokes

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

Was the hullabapalooza episode before that? That was also nothing but fawning

slightly after, but same season. The guest star appearances at least make sense for the story though. See also: Krusty Gets Kancelled.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
you can see all the guest stars here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_guest_stars_(season_1-20)#Season_1_(1989%E2%80%931990)

just only look at himself/herself

I still think RHCP was the start of the whole "lol wacky guest star lets fawn over them" episodes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also Whacking Day, and I love that episode.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'd say that Paul McCartney's appearance was the first one that felt like the show was fawning over the guest star the way most of the post-classic appearances do.

Recently watched Homerpalooza and I agree with Calaveron, the celebrity musician cameos were a warning sign of disasters to come. It’s still a great ep as the A tier writers were still around and cared but felt like they were sacrificing plot for a chance to meet Sonic Youth and Peter Frampton.

Yeah agreed, especially nonsense like him insisting Lisa’s vegetarianism be a permanent plot point. Say yes and have her open a bacon farm the next week what he gonna do about it.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Homer at the Bat did an amazing cameo epsidoe with all the baseball players.But the players weren't the focus/protagonists and it didn't centre around them.

For sure and it’s a contender for best all time ep. I like how Steve Sax is amused by being more famous for that than any on field achievements. Getting a focused funny performance from an eccentric like Jose Canseco was a big achievement, up there with Lawrence Tierney.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

For what it’s worth, I really like Sonic Youth’s “Ahh, come on, Mr. Frampton. You’re not gonna eat ALL that watermelon.” and the later image of all four members holding that single giant rear end slice of watermelon.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
quoting my earlier post, but "Whacking Day" has Homer suddenly able to do martial arts, a cameo for no sensible reason (complete with "hey, it's Barry White!"), and a lot of other poo poo that if it showed up in a current episode would be Bad.

I still can't explain the difference... the formula was still fresh, much more work went into even a relatively lazy episode, etc

basically, a lot of the old episodes do the exact same things we find frustrating, but it's funny in the old episodes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Empty Sandwich posted:

quoting my earlier post, but "Whacking Day" has Homer suddenly able to do martial arts, a cameo for no sensible reason (complete with "hey, it's Barry White!"), and a lot of other poo poo that if it showed up in a current episode would be Bad.

I still can't explain the difference... the formula was still fresh, much more work went into even a relatively lazy episode, etc

basically, a lot of the old episodes do the exact same things we find frustrating, but it's funny in the old episodes

Whacking Day is a weird episode in many ways, I've mentioned before that watching it has an almost dreamlike quality of scenes strung together with little in the way of real plot. Like, what would be a B-plot of Bart finding out Whacking Day was an excuse to beat up the Irish for some reason is resolved offscreen with a joke. That and Barry White actually plays into the episode's ending, and gets to be weird. (and make a meme)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

Well, a big part of anything is execution. There are plenty of TV show episodes, movies, and books that have weak plots with holes big enough to sail a carrier through with plenty of room to breathe, and yet, it works well. Older Simpsons episodes were just much better executed, and even in the weaker episodes, a lot more thought went into things. And when you look at things, there's just a general sharper edge to things.

But it's clear when you look at the episode just how much thought there really is to everything, and that's why this relatively whacky plot (NO PUN INTENDED) works well. Skinner and Chalmers work right out of the gate, with Skinner constantly sucking up to Chalmers and doing everything to make his incompetent school look good. So when Bart ruins everything, it makes sense that he would be expelled.

Another thing is in comedy, you can get away with a lot, provided it's funny. Homer doing karate isn't that far out of bounds for the show, given that Homer can fall down a mountain, hitting as many rocks as possible, multiple times, and still survive. So it's within the belief of the Simpsons.

I rewatched some of the episode, and I forgot just how sharp the bits are, and how many small bits there are. Like, at the dinner table when Homer justifies whacking day by saying "inside every man is a struggle between good and evil that cannot be resolved." We all remember the "I am evil Homer!" but at the end, we just see Lisa staring, slightly confused and worried. It's almost as if Homer just said something intelligent, and just stopped talking and just starred into space. It's small, but hilarious.

And that's a key thing about the old Simpsons. It didn't feel the need to highlight every joke with a big punchline and a flashing neon sign that said "this is a joke, this is funny, you should be laughing." It was okay with doing big jokes and following them up with smaller jokes. It was okay giving jokes room to breathe.

Compare that to the latest episode. The first joke that we see is the Simpsons watching an ad for a streaming service. The joke is that streaming services have a bizarre range of content, and that content gets used to advertise. But what do they do? They don't show you that joke. They tell you the joke. It's kind of like bad sketch comedy - the joke is the premise, and that's supposed to be funny enough. But then look at the visual. We get "Rejected by Peacock" as a category. And hey, that's actually kind of funny and sharp! I mean, the setup that got us there was terrible, but you know, let's give credit where credit is due. But then they have to go and say "we'll stream anything, even shows that Peacock rejected." And then the joke gets worse because they overtell it. They have to explain everything. They have to make sure you know exactly what the joke is. Like, with the vintage cartoon.

And the worst part about it all is that it's clear that they're stretching for time. The episode is only 21 minutes long. And you still can't fill that up, so you need to take forever setting up the joke.

Then think about the precipitating event. How much thought goes into. Lisa is sitting in front of the TV listening to music on her phone... and she somehow hears the song on the TV? Where the hell did that come from? It's an easy enough setup. Lisa sees the ad for the lotto, takes out an earphone to give a Lisa speech about the evils of the lottery, and then she hears the song and recognizes it. And the joke about the song including the disclaimer - that could have worked if it was absurdly fast. But again, it's more stretching to fill time.

If you compare the two - whacking day keeps the story moving, where this last episode doesn't. It has these little bursts of story, and then it stops to tell jokes, but look at the setup. Whacking Day isn't free of asides and holds, but they are integrated into the plot nicely. Grandpa's story comes from Marge bringing in a guest to Bart's class. This Bleeding Gums story has a ton of jokes that don't really fit into the plot at all, and it doesn't feel like conversations but rather people just reciting lines at each other.

The plot of the Bleeding Gums episode doesn't progress. It just literally jumps forward to the next relevant plot point. It's like they wrote an outline, and forgot you need to fill in the details. So we see Lisa Simpson on a broadcast debate show... but why? How? What for?

Admittedly, Whacking Day has Barry White kind of just walking by the Simpson's house quite fortuitously, but at least you placed him in the town. And we can imagine he went for a walk. Hardly groundbreaking scenes. But you know, Lisa starting a campaign to save her favorite musician's music, you know, the whole loving plot of the episode, that's just skipped over.

I hope that I've gotten to something because I've almost put my finger on it. But I think a big part of it is the feel of the show. Modern Simpsons feels like a collection of jokes, older Simpsons feels like a comic story.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
that's a really good articulation of the differences

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It definitely doesn't hurt to be able to say "oh yeah the episode where ________". Like where the story is the main thing you remember about the episode.

As opposed to most of these synopses I read where it starts out as a SNPP plant picnic and turns into a field trip to Norway and then Lisa joins Blink-182 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In a lot of artforms I feel like confidence in your work is a thing. Like with video games that are desperate to drag you from beat to beat and are terrified you might miss something, as is standard for most AAA games nowadays that end up leading you by the nose through everything like a hurried tour guide, which makes stuff like Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild refreshing because they don't care if you play the 'intended' path, rush to the ending, or spend hours stumbling around in the wilderness.

Similarly how zombie Simpsons desperately wants you to Get The Joke and won't let you move on until you do (like a really annoying and unhurried tour guide) where the golden age would just crack it and move on because there'll be another one along in a few seconds. The point is in both examples is that they're not worried if the audience will miss anything.