Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Why hasn’t Wipperman Connex made a 12 speed flattop master link? Get with the program!!

confession:

Out of curiosity I’ve been using an 11sp link on my 12sp chain for a half dozen rides now, it’s been fine. Probably more fine than reusing single use links every time I wax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kimbo305 posted:

I need one of the nerd cycling YT channels to show me how the metal shaping around the quick link holes retains the pin, and how much the different designs distort/wear the thin parts of the metal with repeat use.

It's only a matter of time before that stuff wears down

e: thinking about how when I sold my Campy 12 bike to my friend, I also gave him 4 quick links. Which is like an extra $100 value these days.

The connex link I’ve got on dickwood is on its second chain and has over 5000mi on it, which is even more “mileage” than that if it were on a normal bike, and it’s showing no signs of giving up yet. While you’re not wrong, it surely will wear out eventually, I’m not worried about it happening in an unreasonable amount of time.

e:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 13, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

e.pilot posted:

The connex link I’ve got on dickwood is on its second chain and has over 5000mi on it, which is even more “mileage” than that if it were on a normal bike, and it’s showing no signs of giving up yet. While you’re not wrong, it surely will wear out eventually, I’m not worried about it happening in an unreasonable amount of time.

e:

How many reconnects for cleaning has it gone through for 5k mi, 10? (I'm assuming this is one of the chains you wax)

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Going touring this spring. Need recs on:
Panniers (I've destroyed multiple ortliebs, are arkels better?)

All-day wearable clipless shoes that come in large sizes (14). I don't want to clonk around when I'm off the bike, but most of the nice looking ones have limited sizes in the big end. I've seen some mtb shoes from five ten, are they any good?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

NightGyr posted:

As in destroyed the bag or the hardware?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Snapped clips, torn bags (pinholes that grow to tears), broken quick releases, stripped screws. I've probably busted every part of an ortlieb at least once.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I see crusty old cyclists with what look like decades old arkel bags, but I don't have personal experience with them. They look fine but are less waterproof and I don't have great experience zippers.

I suspect if you manage to ruin multiple ortlieb bags you'll find a way to ruin arkel bags.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kimbo305 posted:

How many reconnects for cleaning has it gone through for 5k mi, 10? (I'm assuming this is one of the chains you wax)

quite a bit more than that, I just wax it before I go out on a trip, so once or twice a month for almost 2 years now

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Reconnects don't matter, like at all. Nothing snaps into place. I swap in a chain every week or so, and have done so for >3 years. I have yet to replace any drivetrain components besides pulley wheels (bearings) in that time.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

NightGyr posted:

All-day wearable clipless shoes that come in large sizes (14). I don't want to clonk around when I'm off the bike, but most of the nice looking ones have limited sizes in the big end. I've seen some mtb shoes from five ten, are they any good?

Yeah, you don't want clipless shoes that uses Delta/Look style cleats. SPD probably fits your usecase the best. Look around for options instead of restricting yourself to one brand since Five Tens may not fit you perfectly. This is a good starting point.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

NightGyr posted:

SPD or Crank Brothers with non MTB shoes, I use CB egg beaters on my folding bike for exactly that reason, clonking through hotel lobbies is awkward and rude.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I will say e.pilot's Connex link looks way worse off than any of mine. I'll try to take a photo the next time I wax them. (soon)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I saw an ad a while back that kids first bicycles weigh ~33% of their body weight. That would be equivalent to learning to ride a bike on a 60 lb bike for me

Is there any benefit to teaching a kid to ride on a specifically light weight bicycle

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It’s just being able to handle it more easily when they’re standing off balance or when picking it up off the ground.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

I will say e.pilot's Connex link looks way worse off than any of mine. I'll try to take a photo the next time I wax them. (soon)

it’s lived a hard life on dickwood

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Hadlock posted:

I saw an ad a while back that kids first bicycles weigh ~33% of their body weight. That would be equivalent to learning to ride a bike on a 60 lb bike for me

Is there any benefit to teaching a kid to ride on a specifically light weight bicycle

kids are fantastically strong for their weight, it’s fine

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hadlock posted:

The bike forum people think so. I think it matters what you’re doing with them. Tooling around your new-build Illinois subdivision that used to be a cornfield and a topology that geometricists use to calibrate planes? No worries. Moderately hilly neighborhoods? Mountain biking? Lighter probably helps.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Took the inaugural ride on my new acoustic bike. It's so incredibly light compared to my ebike that I'm going to need to adjust how I shift my weight when I'm riding so I don't throw myself into a car or something. Also at the first few stoplights I went to reach for the throttle only to find that it's not there. Gonna be a little learning curve.

The enviolo is really easy to adjust. I like not necessarily having to worry about gears. I really want to see how it compares to a Rholoff at some point though...

Overall it was super fun and I'm looking forward to riding it more this summer. I think it should work really well as my commuter bike.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

When I was a wee lad the most important thing about any bike was how strong the back brake was do I could do sweet skids

I dont think weight was ever even slightly considered

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SamsCola posted:

acoustic bike
Mods! It's leaking out of the ebike thread.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

When I was a wee lad the most important thing about any bike was how strong the back brake was do I could do sweet skids

I dont think weight was ever even slightly considered

same, also the tires had to look cool

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

same, also the tires had to look cool

this is still very high on the list of priorities

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's true and i am not ashamed

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i rode 70something miles into the woods today and now I'm posting in a tent :blessed:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i rode 70something miles into the woods today and now I'm posting in a tent :blessed:

If you're able to post you still need to ride further

Edit: That does still sound nice tho

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lol I'm so tired i got in my bag at 6

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

eeenmachine posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion the bike shop screwed up my Aspero 5 order and now I have to decide between taking a Lime Shimmer or waiting probably another few months for the Purple Sunset I requested… #DentistProblems

I don't know how impatient you are, but I've seen both, and the Purple Sunset may be worth the wait. The Lime Shimmer is quite pretty, though, as is Oasis on the Caledonia. é is really killing it with the paintjobs right now.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

SamsCola posted:

Took the inaugural ride on my new acoustic bike. It's so incredibly light compared to my ebike that I'm going to need to adjust how I shift my weight when I'm riding so I don't throw myself into a car or something. Also at the first few stoplights I went to reach for the throttle only to find that it's not there. Gonna be a little learning curve.

The enviolo is really easy to adjust. I like not necessarily having to worry about gears. I really want to see how it compares to a Rholoff at some point though...

Overall it was super fun and I'm looking forward to riding it more this summer. I think it should work really well as my commuter bike.

Congratulations on your new bike. It looks super fun!
Please don't call it an acoustic bike. It's a bike.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Professional bike fit highly recommended.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Acoustic guitars were just called guitars before electric guitars became popular

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Electric guitars are just acoustic guitars until you plug them in

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you really want to differentiate you'd probably call it a mechanical bike, "acoustic bike" isn't accurate at all is it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mods?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm going to start calling them analog cycles

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Assisted bikes and unassisted bikes, there you go job done.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

I’m going to put together a bike with all the loudest parts possible. Creaky BB30 BB, 10spd X-Dome cassette, Madfiber wheels, KeO Blade v1 pedals, bone dry i9 or Hope rear hub, etc.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vando posted:

If you really want to differentiate you'd probably call it a mechanical bike, "acoustic bike" isn't accurate at all is it

:thejoke:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vando posted:

If you really want to differentiate you'd probably call it a mechanical bike

You have a Di2 bike!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Bikes and lazybikes.

Adbot