Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Ninjago City and Ninjago City Gardens have those peg holes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Skios posted:

Ninjago City and Ninjago City Gardens have those peg holes too.

NC is the actual best "modular" but thematically it doesn't go with the others. If you are only going to get one, let it be Assembly Square- that should satisfy the need unless you are more of a completionist.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I have a bookshelf that fits exactly Assembly Square and one other modular, which is a great motivation to stop there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Futanari Damacy posted:

that should satisfy the need unless you are more of a completionist.

What thread do you think you're in

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

Bookshop is possibly the worst modular they have made. It's essentially a remake of the Pet Shop, which was already a substandard modular.
If you're gonna get roped into modulars though, that's a good reason to get it first. You don't wanna start with the best and just go downhill.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Futanari Damacy posted:

If you are only going to get one, let it be Assembly Square- that should satisfy the need unless you are more of a completionist.

Is there anyone in this thread who has bought and built just one (1) modular, with no plans to get more?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Droppin' in with a snapshot of the MOCs I am incredibly slowly working on. Nearly done at this point but there's still a couple small details I'm not satisfied with. We've got a yellow roadster of some sort on the left, and a red hovercar on the right. Whee!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is there a way to pre-order coming soon stuff off the Lego site? Or do you have to go into one of the stores?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Is there a way to pre-order coming soon stuff off the Lego site? Or do you have to go into one of the stores?

Usually there is a window to preorder on the website, if they are taking preorders. Some sets they don't though, like the Tallneck from Horizon Forbidden West that's coming out next month.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

davebo posted:

If you're gonna get roped into modulars though, that's a good reason to get it first. You don't wanna start with the best and just go downhill.

The bookshop actually was my first, so that's worked out for me! Didn't have any complaints about it, but the police station was my second and it did feel like a step-up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FBS posted:

Is there anyone in this thread who has bought and built just one (1) modular, with no plans to get more?

Me but I'm waiting until I move to build the hotel.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Neo Rasa posted:

Some stuff.
Like you can preorder the star wars Diaramas right now.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Neo Rasa posted:

I notice there's various software folks use to design builds, does anyone here use those? Is there a particular best one?
Bricklink Studio is gonna be your best go-to unless you have a specific need it cannot fill. I've used it once or twice.

I have used it to design every MOC I've built for the past... many years, and I used to do a weekly stream where I designed things in Studio and showed others how to do so as well

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Veotax posted:

The bookshop actually was my first, so that's worked out for me! Didn't have any complaints about it, but the police station was my second and it did feel like a step-up.

Yeah it was our first too, then assembly square, then... everything but corner cafe and market street.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
I have to be careful, buying bulk Lego on Goodwill can be a bit addicting. Had to sort a fair amount of Tyco blocks from the latest batch but the unopened bags of Lego alone would have cost three times what I paid for the bulk lot. Didn't get as many basic bricks as I was hoping for thanks to all the non-Lego brand bricks, but the plethora of Minecraft sets I found mixed in resulted in a lot of other pieces I would have been ordering from Bricklink.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

FBS posted:

Yep, the Diner. Although technically I didn't buy it, I won it in a competition. It's a cool set but they're expensive and I'm just not that interested in modern-day stuff, I've always preferred historical or futuristic themes. Anyway, I know enough people who collect modulars that it's easy enough for me to see almost any of them in person.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
about 80% of why i want a modular is for another, less daunting project after the falcon, and to get that sweet old timey cab freebie they give you at the lego store. but none of the ones out right now really appeal to me.

i wish there were a hundred sets like the medieval blacksmith honestly

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish I had bought that NIB special edition blacksmith on ebay for 100.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Digital War posted:

I have to be careful, buying bulk Lego on Goodwill can be a bit addicting. Had to sort a fair amount of Tyco blocks from the latest batch but the unopened bags of Lego alone would have cost three times what I paid for the bulk lot. Didn't get as many basic bricks as I was hoping for thanks to all the non-Lego brand bricks, but the plethora of Minecraft sets I found mixed in resulted in a lot of other pieces I would have been ordering from Bricklink.

In a store or online? I find their auction site baffling. There always seems to be people bidding on stuff in the sketchiest condition for prices that seem worse than you could get elsewhere, and I have no idea how anyone finds a deal on that site.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I realize it's not one of your $800 motorized, large dog sized, super expert crane models, but the 60324 mobile crane is just delighting me. the roller screw actuator to lift the crane arm up, the dinky friction retention for the cord winder, the extending crane arm. just all these cheap, simple little actions that combine up into this huge swoosh.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Carbohydrates posted:

Another seed part build. This time, the seed was the brick separator, which I have never used in a model before.

Congratulations on your Brothers Brick feature!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

We have a lot of space red hinges from the Madrigal House and I noticed they had a nice texture that could work as an engine. Some vague inspiration came from a few Star Wars speeders (the angled front from the ones in Solo, the red blocky shape from Rey's speeder in TFA) and I really wanted to use the seats as something other than seats.

The interior of the back could be cleaned up a lot since it's a mess of plates at the moment. It's structurally sound though, especially because it's a lot more conventional than most recent ones. Hardest part was making the driver's area work. I went though a lot of options before settling on the armrests. It looks better with a minifig in but I don't have a good spot to photograph at the moment.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey classic red hovercar buddy, very nice. Love the chairs as the hover covers (that's what I call anything that looks like it's shielding a hovering mechanism)

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

veni veni veni posted:

In a store or online? I find their auction site baffling. There always seems to be people bidding on stuff in the sketchiest condition for prices that seem worse than you could get elsewhere, and I have no idea how anyone finds a deal on that site.

Online. Yeah, you see some crazy prices on some lots, particularly on complete and unopened sets. A lot of it comes down to luck I guess, my latest lot was dirt cheap because I guess nobody was interested in what appeared to be almost entirely basic bricks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought I'd be more into the succlents, but man the pictures of the orchid have caused me to flip.
I'm an orchid man now.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Olpainless posted:

Congratulations on your Brothers Brick feature!
Hey, thanks! Thrilled it's been so popular.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RatHat posted:

What thread do you think you're in

"just the Diner" I thought "I won't make a habit of buying the modular every year"

I now have a table containing every modular from Assembly Square onward, as well as the Daily Bugle and the Chinese Garden.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buying the new one every year is way less of a concern than getting the bug for collecting ones that are out of production.

Feel genuinely bad for anyone getting started in modulars at this point.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

xzzy posted:

Buying the new one every year is way less of a concern than getting the bug for collecting ones that are out of production.

yeah, they missed out on the palace cinema and the joy of stickers in a modular :argh:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Landed a free Lego Craigslist posting yesterday. Looking good so far to cover my gas and tolls into the city. Lots of dirt and dust in these, guy said the box was open in his garage, so it will be a bit of cleanup.

Quick first pass through the box last night. Will give it another closer, general sort this weekend decide what’s mostly there and worth rebuilding for resell or keeping.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I only started collecting LEGO in general since getting this job in October and now I'm looking at the older modulars and really wanting some. The Diner is one I really want, especially after seeing it on display in the office.
I'll probably get it off BrickLink at some point, I guess, but not being able to use the staff discount makes it sting a little. Prices don't look too bad.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

This is what I'm all about. I love getting the bulk lots but then I hate the sorting part. I see the Power Functions remote in there. Are there train bits or is that for some other motor? I need more train bogies and wheels!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

davebo posted:

This is what I'm all about. I love getting the bulk lots but then I hate the sorting part. I see the Power Functions remote in there. Are there train bits or is that for some other motor? I need more train bogies and wheels!

I think I got you covered, no full train sets but I think I have one or two bogies I can send you. Is this what you’re looking for?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Just in case anyone else decides to be stupid and try to collect all the tiles, I figured out how to arrange them on a 32x32 baseplate for display/storage/shits and giggles. Hopefully this saves someone else the ten whole minutes of counting and rearranging I did.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

15 years from now that post will get mined so that people can scan the weird qr codes on those tiles to unlock dance moves for their hacked copies of the vidya app

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Those tiles are rad, I have some from a beatbox and a few bandmates. I've been using them to replace 'photos' and 'posters' in other sets that would have had stickers.

I kinda think the entire Vidiyo line is going to end up being one of the more collectible things Lego has done in a while, it's very different from their usual fare, the minifigs are great, and the 'real sets' from the second wave are really creative and cool.

I grabbed the Punk Pirate Ship before it went away, but haven't had a chance (or space) to build it yet.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

15 years from now that post will get mined so that people can scan the weird qr codes on those tiles to unlock dance moves for their hacked copies of the vidya app

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They should release a Technic line of human organs

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Neo Rasa posted:

I would buy a Lego spleen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Neo Rasa posted:

1800 of the 2000 pieces are rubber belts